Untitled Superhero/Meta-Human Story.

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Untitled Superhero/Meta-Human Story.

Unread postby Lilcross » May 12th, 2010, 7:38 pm

The Life of Felix Max Day Five Thousand and Ninety Nine Part 1.

As I close Dad’s diary, I know that despite having the reputation for being the smartest human in school, right now I just don’t know what to do. Why, you ask?

See, my Dad, Buster Max, died four days ago. That’s definitely something worth crying about, but I’m just at the tip of the iceberg. My Dad was an important man. Everybody loved him; despite the fact that he made one of the biggest mistakes of all time. (Which no one wants to tell me about.)

It gets worse: Dad died because of me. Because of my mistake. Because I’m a useless—

I take a deep breath. No, I’m not. Dad told me that I should never blame myself for his death before he gave me his diary on his deathbed.

“Don’t read it…all at once…you…hear?” He died with that trademark smile on his face. I feel myself start to tear up, so I wipe my eyes.

But, yeah, the funeral is today. The world probably hates me for what I did, so I really don’t want to leave the house. Actually, I’ve cooped myself up in here ever sense Dad died. (Not that I can blame them. I hate myself, too.)

Suddenly I realize that I’m talking to my Teddy Bear, so I throw it aside wondering why I felt the need to talk to a stuffed animal in the first place.

You know it’s sad when you feel the need to talk to a stuffed animal about your problems.

I sigh deeply as I put on my funeral clothes, which consists of a simple black robe and black socks. I grab my green night stick powered by Meta-Human blood as I walk out the door.

The Life of Felix Max Day Five Thousand and Ninety Nine Part 2
The sun pokes me in the eye, hard. I grunt heavily and try to shield myself from the light. I manage to get my eye open, and after a few seconds of intense burning the pain seeps away. I sigh.

Alright, where to?

Mom told me on the phone that I should hitch a ride to the funeral Dax’s house, so I guess we should head over there.

Right…

It’s not healthy to talk to yourself like this.

Whatever.

I start the ten minute walk to my friend’s house, trying to blend in with the environment. Practically everybody in town is attending Dad’s funeral, so it’s not so bad.

I take out Dad's diary and start reading as I walk.

Buster Max #1

Life sure is a *****. I can't begin to describe what happened today. Ok, Ok, whew. That's a little better. Alright here's what happened.

I was beginning to really think how irrelevant I am to society. It's tough, y'know? When your grades are garbage, your as skinny as a toothpick, and you have no real talent, the future isn't so bright. So these thoughts were running through my head and I'll admit it: Thoughts of suicide were near. Then, my best friend, Jinx, tapped me on the shoulder.

Jinx is an amazingly weird, creepy, psychotic girl with charcoal black eyes and pale skin. Needless to say, I'm in love with her. Or was.

Anyway, yeah, she tapped me on the shoulder. Before I could turn around, she said the usual crazy nonsense as her index finger poked at the back of my head.

"Scenario 78. Location: Dark Alley.
I have a gun and I'm attempting to rob you. The item I'm attempting to take from you is extremely important. You're willing to risk your life for it. Now, what do you do?"

I sigh. "Well, where is the gun pointed to? My head, my back? Details lady, details!"

I could almost feel her smirking.

"Head."

To spare you the trouble of reading strangely detailed details of my escape plan, I basically told her I would move me head against the barrel, duck as he shot, spin around and sweep kick him and wrestle the gun out of his hands.

She withdrew her finger and laughed that sexy (and creepy) laugh of hers.

"Not bad, Buster. I think I will use you for my mission."

"Mission? What miss-"

And that's when Jinx stole my first kiss.

I didn't know what to do. I was so surprised, it came out of nowhere. She seemed to be really into it, because she started hugging me tightly.

After about five seconds of standing there in shock as her lips pressed against mine, I felt Jinx tongue trying to enter my mouth.

I roughly pushed her away. Whoever reading this now is probably thinking, 'Why? Didn't you say you loved her.'

Alright, sure, I 'loved' her, but I wasn't ready for that. It's not my style, I guess.

But anyway, I was like "Jinx! What the hell!"

Jinx just stared at me with those big black eyes and gestured me to follow.

I lost all my dignity. I followed her like a lost puppy. A zombie of a lost puppy. I was probably drooling. But I couldn't help it. She looked so beautiful. And her eyes looked like they truly loved me, full of admiration and happiness.

What a mistake that was. Before I knew it, I was standing in front a--

The Life of Felix Max Day Five Thousand and Ninety Nine Part 2

I'm unable to finish the sentence when suddenly my feet fall from beneath me and the world spins into this dramatic blur before my face hits the asphalt, hard. From the ground, my eyes scan the area. Oh, great. I'm in the dark alley I cut through on the route to Dax's house.

The dark alley is where most fights go down in the streets. Everybody, and I mean everybody, steers clear of the area. Why? Because as the name implies, it's a dark alley. It's always dark. As in 24/7. Sure, when the sun's out you can see, but it’s still dim. Hoods and gangs of evil Meta-humans hang out here, and it’s rumored that one of them keeps it dark with their powers.

I guess we should have paid more attention.

I hear this familiar sneer, and grumble to myself “Asshole!”

“What was that?”

I push myself to my feet to see my nemesis, Tempus Master. He’s is one of the stronger meta-humans in my school, with long silver hair and platinum eyes. He has two watches, one on each wrist, to keep his powers in check.

Out of nowhere, Tempus's fist is crashing into my jaw and I'm sent flying out of the alley in a painful heads over heels tumble. I crash into a car.

For a second I can't breath, and my body is completely stunned. Then pain flares, pins and needles shooting through-out my limbs.

Alright, sure. I can be prideful at times. I'm no wimp. But I know when I'm outmatched. Tempus has beaten me far too many times before. I assure myself that there's a difference between being a coward and being smart, but I still feel like one when I call for help.

"Somebody, help!" I crawl onto the sidewalk. Pins and needles are holding my legs back.

Tempus laughs mechanically as he strolls towards me.

I scream for help once more. A middle-aged man passes me, and glances into my eyes. He sees me in pain, and he sees Tempus laughing as he approaches. Then he smiles and continues on his way.

My heart sinks. Society really does hate me. I'm going to be blamed for Dad's death forever.

I choke back a sob and blink back tears.

Focus on the situation!

Should I run?

No. Remember, he can manipulate time, turning time back or fast fording it five seconds. He can catch up in an instant. Just try to get the feeling in your legs back for now.

Tempus hands grip my shoulder and I'm flung backwards into the alley. The numbness fades and is replaced by pain. I manage to catch my footing during the tumble, maintaining a cat like stance. My legs are still wobbly, but I'm able to stand.

I start to speak in outrage, when I suddenly notice that Tempus has Dad's diary in his hands.

That wasn't there a second ago!

Tempus throws it down, and raises his foot high in the air with that smug grin plastered on his face.

"I asked you, what was that?"

"Don't you dare, Tempus!"

Tempus's grin widens as he lightly steps on the last thing I have left of my father.

I raise my fists, courage found. Outmatched or not, I'm not letting anyone disrespect my father!

...When a force hits my nose hard, and blood squirts from my nose followed by a rush of pain so bad I fall to my knees and clutch my face.

I know I can't win. Tempus is too strong. But I get up anyway. I'm Buster Max's son. I don't give up so easy. Then an idea comes to me.

"What’s the matter, Tempus? Too afraid to take me on without your powers?"

Tempus eye brow twitches in irritation, and then he takes a deep breath.

"Actually, I am."

That always works in the movies!

"What do you have against me, anyway? I never did anything to you!" I ask him as I slowly reach into my robe pocket to take out my green Meta-Human powered nightstick.

"A loser like you doesn't deserve to be Mr. Max's son. You’re a worthless scum, and he's dead because of you. I'll make you pay."

"That's some screwed up logic, coming from a guy who just stepped on his diary!"

Tempus's face breaks into genuine sorrow.

"I didn't--!"

Now!

In a flash I throw the nightstick as hard as I can towards Tempus. His face is in shock, he clearly wasn't expecting it! He won't be able to turn back time, this time!

That was an interesting way of--

Not now, alright?

When the nightstick is inches away from shattering on Tempus's face, it starts to move backwards, literally. Tempus's manipulating time, again. Tempus's face goes to sorrow rather than shock, and the night stick flies back into my hand. My body unwillingly puts it back into my pocket.

I can move again, but my hand is already unwillingly taking out the nightstick and throwing it just like before. Only this time, Tempus is ready. He snatches it out of the air with ease, and wags his index finger at me.

"Tch, tch. Not bad. Maybe you’re more deserving that I thought. Still gotta kill you, though.”

My eyes dart over Tempus’s shoulder. I need to get pass him, somehow!

I dash towards him once more, in a desperate attempt to escape. The closer I get, I realize that Tempus doesn’t plan on manipulating time. I start to smile.

Finally a fight on even terms!

Tempus starts hopping around, almost like a boxer. I mentally face-palm.

We forgot one crucial fact: You can’t fight.

Too late to turn back now.

Tempus throws a hook. As my eyes dart around in panic for something to fight with, I suddenly see a nickel shinning in the darkness. I can’t help but bend over and pick it up. Tempus’s hook flies over my head. I toss the nickel in my pocket, I can’t believe my luck.

“Lucky dodge, loser.”

Tempus starts to jab, trying to get into rhythm. In a pathetic attempt to get away, I accidentally step on my robe and trip. As Tempus’s fist whistles past me as I crash into him. Time goes back five seconds.

This time, Tempus darts backwards when I stumble and clocks me in the face. My eyesight goes blurry as my head hits the asphalt once more.

Well, we tried.

Yeah, we did.

More blood floods into my nose. I push myself up so I can blow it out. Then Tempus's foot smashes into the back of my head.

Oh yeah, he did say he wanted to kill you. Guess he wasn’t joking.

Great. Just wonderful.

So, here I am, lying on the ground getting my ass handed to me, no idea how much time is passing.

Tempus picks me up like a sack of potatoes and hurls me into a wall. By now I can hardly feel the impact, but I know that was an especially hard hit. I slide down the wall and hit the ground on my face.

It's right about now that we die. Few more hits like that and it's over.

Looking on the bright side, at least I won't have to see Dads corpse at the wake anymore.

Tempus uses his foot to roll me over. He's glaring at me with such hatred.

Why? I don't buy his reasoning. So why?

"Any last words?" He sneers.

"Any moar clishe linez?" I spit.

I shut my eyes knowing I'll never open them again. Temus grabs me by my shirt collar and pins me against the wall. His hands start to squeeze upon my throat.

I can't breathe. I can't breathe!I CAN'T--!

Time goes back five seconds. For a brief moment, I gulp down oxygen. Then Tempus hands start to squeeze upon my throat once more.

He's not going to let me die so easy, huh?

Bad move.

For him.

I use the remaining of my strength send a glob of saliva and blood flying into his eye.

Tempus howls a wolfs howl. Before his hand clasps around his eye, I see it start to melt. He's lost all control. Time suddenly shoots forward. I feel my muscles broaden, hair growing on my lip, and my legs getting taller. Then I feel my chest start to explode in pain.

Then something amazing happens. I get a glimpse of my very own Power.

It's incredible. It's awesome. It's better than I ever dreamed. I guess Doctor Shan was right. I'm just a late bloomer after all.

A powerful energy flows into my chest. I'm the strongest being alive, or it at least feels that way. All the beatings I've suffered are instantly healed.

Tempus howl turns into a low groan. Time flows backward. I lose my new mustache, my broadened muscles and my tall and lanky figure. I'm back to my old scrawny self. But my new powers are still intact, for now.

I crack my fists.

"Hey, Tempus! Up for round two?"

Tempus stops cupping his eye, which is no longer melting, just bloodshot red.

"I'm gonna kill you!"

He charges at me, telegraphing his fist for a punch

Time to give our new powers a spin!

I direct the powerful energy in my chest—

~Let's just call it 'The Force'. It sounds cooler and it's—

~Whatever.

I direct 'The Force' from my chest to my right palm. It's amazing to feel the energy shooting throughout my body with such speed. As it builds up into my palm, I imagine it expanding out of my skin and into a ball. I start to--

Tempus lashes his fist out at me so hard all I have to do is sidestep and stick my feet out to leave him tripping so hard it appears as though he's snorting gravel!

While he recovers, I notice that I'm now holding a visible blue ball. My grin is unbelievably huge.

Turn it into a weapon.

What?

Do it. It's your power.

You mean ours, right?

I don't know.

I imagine the ball morphing into a silver short sword with a golden hilt. There's a bright flash and I'm suddenly holding the weapon of my dreams.

"Oh yeah!"

I turn to Tempus, sword at ready. He’s scrambling to his feet. I point the tip of the sword at him, cold steel inches away from his throat.

“You can’t take me on anymore. Back off.”

His face has fear written all over it. But his eyes say otherwise.

He leaps to his feet, fists lashing out everywhere. He’s fast-forward time to make his fists faster!

I dodge the first few blows with head slips, but then a few manage to strike me in the chest, hard.

That’s it!

I duck under a right hook and do a vertical swipe with my sword. Tempus slumps to the ground, biting back a scream the painful grunt. His right arm is sporting a big green gash.

I swipe my sword, and a small amount of blood fly’s onto the wall behind me.

I turn my sword back into the blue ball with a flash, and swallow it whole. That power that made me feel invincible returns. With pep in my step, I walk toward him.

He’s still trying to get up! He pathetically, but pride fully, drags himself towards me.

The back of my fist meets his face.

His head fly’s into the wall with a satisfying thump and lies still as he crumples to the ground.

Wow, he’s lucky. I get beaten half to death and still awake but one good punch to him knocks him out cold.

After picking up Dad’s dairy, I drag him out the alley. His face has the back of my fist imprinted on it, and his cut is looking worse by the second as more and more green blood flows down. He’s going to die of blood loss or infection in about five or ten minutes, I guess.

Somebody walking by will see him and call an ambulance, I think.

I look around. The street is deserted.

I laugh and turn my back on the dying meta-human.
Lilcross

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop