Looking for world building help

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Re: Looking for world building help

Unread postby MrRigger2 » July 22nd, 2010, 11:29 pm

Very true. Of course, if I use the With Great Power Come Great Insanity Trope, there might be a few more natural disasters happening. Then again, all I need to do is turn someone with Storm's powers into a Complete Monster, and I don't need a whole bunch of lesser powered nutbags running around.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby unknown11228 » July 22nd, 2010, 11:36 pm

Yes, but I don't see even one tenth of the posts joining the peace core, or exclusively clean up the messes of crazy posts just because there are so many of them. You'll need to think of more standard jobs.
Someone with weather control or a green thumb would make a killing in agriculture.
I see multi-men and those with super strength in construction.
Teleporters would be in demand for the same reason as speedsters.
Telekenetics with fine control could make a fortune via high-end custom computer chips.
People with x-ray vision would be almost as high demand as healers in the medical field.
Those that can talk to animals would make a killing at a vet's and the more sociopathic might be able to handle a zoo.
Elementals might not be in as high demand as you think. Remember the most expensive tool is an employee, and if they can replicate the effects with a machine for less than a yearly salary, they will.
unknown11228

Unread postby Dechstreme » July 22nd, 2010, 11:41 pm

But human beings can adapt and improve, while machines tend to be stable and static. And no, I don't count self upgrading technology. THat way lies madness.

Also, a human occupies less space than a lot of machines. What's the use of making a machine that can do the job of an elemental manipulation post if the machine is the size of a small truck and there just isn't any place with stable ground to place it at safely?
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby MrRigger2 » July 23rd, 2010, 12:21 am

Yes, but I don't see even one tenth of the posts joining the peace core, or exclusively clean up the messes of crazy posts just because there are so many of them. You'll need to think of more standard jobs.
Someone with weather control or a green thumb would make a killing in agriculture.
That was exactly my thought. Posts aren't motivated by their power to use it, or at least, most aren't. It might be a compulsion for some, but that's a minority, so most people can go without using their power, and so don't have to get a job that makes use of it. And here's another thought. Someone with control over plants like Poison Ivy or Layla from Sky High, as a marijuana grower/dealer. Can you say SuperPot? Mods, please note, I'm not advocating the use of any illegal narcotics, I'm merely suggesting a logical progression of events in my fictional universe.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Thozmp » July 23rd, 2010, 10:19 am

You know, I can see some posts using their powers just to enjoy them. A Leaper who works in an office all day, takes the weekend to jump around the city like a demented, cracked-out jackrabbit because he can. Also, like Spider-Man once said, "With great power comes great fish."
Thozmp

Unread postby Dechstreme » July 23rd, 2010, 11:17 am

You know, I can see some posts using their powers just to enjoy them. A Leaper who works in an office all day, takes the weekend to jump around the city like a demented, cracked-out jackrabbit because he can. Also, like Spider-Man once said, "With great power comes great fish."
:XD:

That sounds so awesome.
Dechstreme

Unread postby MrRigger2 » July 23rd, 2010, 3:26 pm

I see a bunch of Posts getting together every other weekend to play a game of baseball with powers. And I just hand an idea for another Post powered job. Guy who can stick to walls like Spiderman as a office building window washer. That would work for pretty much anyone with flight, actually, so long as they could hover.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Dechstreme » July 26th, 2010, 10:16 pm

The world needs more super powered window washers!!! :yuush:
Dechstreme

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop