In which Sakura takes Disadvantage: childhood trauma

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

In which Sakura takes Disadvantage: childhood trauma

Unread postby Satori » July 18th, 2010, 7:16 pm

title is a RPG joke. Gurps and D&D players might laugh.

Anyway, i'm writing a naruto piece with all this "fangirl" nonsense pruned out. Because chuckg wasn't far off the mark when he complained that he'd seen Pron that treated female characters with far more dignity and respect than Kishimoto does in Naruto. I mean seriously, Karin, just... KARIN.

Well, that's where I started and the story just sort of went all over the place from there (as you may have guessed from the title). I need a few heads to bounce ideas off of. Give me some feedback? Please?

Snippet 1
Spoiler: show
Yamanaka Sayuri sipped her tea as she considered her guest. Haruno Hiroko, she had come to realize, was a formidable woman. There had been no need to ask about the rather vicious rumors that had swirled around the woman since her return to Kohonakagure two months ago. Haruno-san was easily astute enough to guess the motive behind the invitation to tea from her daughter's new best friend's mother. She knew that Sayuri wanted to gauge her character, to ensure that little Ino was not falling in with the unwanted child of a disreputable woman. She knew she was being judged, and she bore it with steadfast calm and dignity.

She spoke calmly and forthrightly, her voice neither challenging nor apologetic, as she recounted the years she spent away from her home town. She admitted the foolishness of youth that precipitated her sudden and somewhat scandalous departure, and while skirting around the full details of what brought her back, she made it clear that contrary to rumor, her husband had died, and died honorably. She was not an abandoned wife throwing herself on the mercy of the family that she had once spurned, but a widow returning to the town that was her home, of her own accord now that her husband's work no longer kept her away; with no need for charity from anyone. There was no sign of irritation at the gossip, no petulance about the unfairness of it all, only carefully measured out grief, as politeness dictated - enough to make one's feeling clear, but not enough to discomfit anyone else. Hiroko's back was unbowed, and her eyes clear, ready to stare down any who would slander her husband, and declare that Yoichiro Haruno had died no less honorably or well than any of Kohona's finest.

That much had brought a hint of a smile to Sayuri's face. The Haruno had traditionally shied away from the pursuing the way of the ninja, preferring to expand their prosperous financial holdings and ever burgeoning library, but they could not help but soak up some of the attitudes of the ninja that dominated the village. Dying well was important for ninja, who knew that might be called upon to spend their lives for the sake of their comrades or their village at any time. Their lives, the accumulated experience and skill they presented, were the villages most valuable resource, wealth not to be spent lightly. That was the among the first lessons a prospective ninja of the leaf was taught: that she must be prepared to lay down her life for her village, but that such sacrifice must be made for worthy ends in time of need. Konoha invested much in it's shinobi and kunoichi, and wanted them to live long enough to make the investment worthwhile. Konoha ninja would not be fodder to be cast heedlessly into the fire like the poor souls awarded headbands by some other villages. Iwa forgot it's 'lesser' nin, and told it's children the space was now open for the strong to fill; Konoha carved the names of its dead into stone and cherished their memory. It was a point in Hiroko's favor that she understood the meaning of sacrifice.
Snippet 2
"It must be difficult for Sakura, without her father," Sayuri offered, dangling that observation out to fish for more intelligence on the mysteriously tight lipped girl.

Hiroko's composure faltered for the first time since she'd stepped across the threshold of the Yamanaka's home. Though they would be subtle in other circumstances, the direction of her gaze and the sudden tightness of her fingers on her teacup were positively jarring against the unblemished mien she had previously maintained. "She watched him die. I wanted to leave but she wouldn't move, and I didn't dare draw any further attention to us. She saw the whole thing; watched without a sound, without a flinch, without a tear. Not until we were safely back in Fire country did she even allow herself to cry." She set down the teacup, staring down into it as though the tea might offer her an answer. "I used to be so proud that my daughter was so precocious, so mature for her age." That was punctuated by something that was at once a bitter laugh and a sob. "Now I wish she'd had more time to be a child." She finally looked up again, meeting Sayuri's eye. "Ino's gotten her to speak more in a week than I have in several months. She's done a better job of comforting my daughter than I have." Her gaze fell again. "And a better job of protecting her."

"You weren't the one to take her father from her, Hiroko. You can't blame yourself for that." Sayuri set her own teacup down and took Hiroko's hand in her own. "There is only so much that lies within our ability to affect." She spread the other woman's clenched fingers with her thumb, cupping the hand with her own. "These hands can protect our daughters from reaching out to touch a stove, but cannot prevent them from being curious. And however much we protect them, they must leave the nest eventually." She let go of the other woman and gestured out the window, to the garden where their daughters had gone to play. "I worry sometimes, about reading Ino for the Kunoichi ranks. I wonder if she'll thank us for it, ten years down the line, when she's attended the funerals of too may friends and washed the blood out of her clothes far too many times. But in the end, it's her choice to make, and if she walks that path, I'll make her as ready as I can." Sayuri shook her head. "You were a merchant factor, and surely traveled where danger lurked quite often. I was a kunoichi, and danced a perilous line alongside death for years. Yet here we are, drinking tea, and worrying about our daughters, while many others who chose safer lives died as girls, from sickness, or as young women from accident, before they could even consider having daughters of their own." Sayuri's fingers traced the scar across her right forearm, the sole feature that marred her smooth white skin. "Your husband died for what he thought just. It's a better death than many in this village had. I think Sakura recognizes that, already."

Hiroko was still for several moments. then finally whispered, "I think you're right. Sakura understood why he died. I was just afraid she'd decided to follow his footsteps too closely. But you're right. It's a choice for her to make." She cleared her throat, her voice returning to firmness. "Sakura told me today that she wants to go to the Academy." There was no need to say 'Ninja Academy'; in Konoha there was only one 'Academy.' Her gaze locked with Sayuri's. "Would the Yamanaka Clan be willing to sponsor her?"
Satori

Re: In which Sakura takes Disadvantage: childhood trauma

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » July 19th, 2010, 1:03 am

Start working on the end of the fic. Not necessarily writing, but plotting. This gives you a sense of direction and something to write towards. And awesome ending will also give you something to write for, to help keep you focus on the fic to actually finish it.

In order to create and end, you need to figure out what the character arcs are going to be. There is the external arc and conflict (Luke fighting the Empire) and the internal arc (Luke earning the courage to take on his role in the fight). So, as in every story, you need to start with a conflict, external and internal (and the more related/effecting each other they are the better). From that conflict you can figure out how the character arc should go, what obsticals are going to appear in the characters way, and how the story will grow. Then you can plot a satisfying ending. And, tada! You just out-did 97% of FF.N.

This all may sound way too intimidating. This is days of thinking, and you won't be able to sit down and figure it all with diagrams. It's much more organic than that. Find what you're passionate about and use that to help you make the twist and turns in your story. It will both keep you vitalized on the task and add depth to the work.

And most of all, :cheer

EDIT (As Doc says, exploratory writing and outline based writing are both valid, but even professionals from the "exploratory" camp usually have to create or considerably tweak their stories or endings to meet [fulfill or subvert] the reader expectations established)
Last edited by Psalm Of Fire on July 19th, 2010, 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby doc.exe » July 19th, 2010, 2:14 am

It looks very interesting.

I share the opinion that Sakura (and all the female characters of the series, really) has a lot of potential that the mangaka, simply put, never uses. For example, she was stated to be a genjutsu type, yet that element was never expanded. Maybe you could touch on that.

In any case, you have certain advantage in that her background has never been detailed beyond her relationship with Ino. In that sense, bringing her family to the front and exploring it it's a good idea.

My only questions: How far have you plotted the story? Or are you writing as it comes to you?

Both techniques are actually valid, is just that as Psalm of Fire says, I tend to plan ahead the ending of the story and write a draft. I'm just curious about your method and how far you have planned the fanfic.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby Satori » July 19th, 2010, 3:57 am

My mind doesn't do linear well AT ALL. I have ideas. When i have a bunch that seem like they fit together, i expand them into a series of scenes, string them together, and try to figure out plot to fill in between them.

This probably why I have a hard time writing anything long.
Satori

Unread postby Kirai » July 19th, 2010, 4:04 am

Generally I have one idea, then I write that idea down and start writing from there. Along the way other ideas show up.

Which means I have to make a lot of stuff up as I go along. Luckily most of the stuff that happens follows a kinda logical projection. On the other hand, often ideas I had a while back don't make sense anymore when I come to the point where they were supposed to fit, because the character simply wouldn't have a reason to act that way anymore, due to other things happening in the mean time.

I think it makes for a more organic flow though^^

Other might disagree of course.
Kirai

Unread postby Satori » August 5th, 2010, 7:39 pm

And a bit of background arguing my take on what chakra is:
The emergence of arcane talents in human populations is almost inevitably a source of disruption to the existing sociopolitical order. In some cases, such an occurrence is sufficient to drive a society into full anarchy. In most cases, however, there are existing social structures into which the newly empowered arcanists can be funnelled. Organized Religion is a common social institution to turn to when it becomes necessary to integrate this new class of individuals into the existing social schema. In some cases arcanists find a place in the priesthood, their abilities understood to be gifts of benevolent gods. In others they are condemned as trafficking with demons to gain their powers (sometimes accurately) and face persecution and ostracism. Even when religion is less organized, many emerging arcanists find themselves a niche as shamans or “medicine men.” The most archetypal image of the arcanist, however, is that from those society with a strong tradition of scholarship. There, we find the Magus, with his robes and books, studying occult lore in candlelit rooms in an arcane college. The academic model has it’s advantage in that it promotes the examination and understanding of this new force of magic in the world, and tends to have the greatest impact on society. Over 90% of instances show post-emergence social patterns in one of those two broad types. Of course, there are other interesting social niches that emerging arcanists have made for themselves, from the “Royal Exorcist’s Order” of world designate PB-EQ-278216, to the “Makers” of HB-AM-236284. But the most interesting codification of newly emerged arcane talents is probably the case of MG-NJ-092732, colloquially known as “Path.” Here, due to a number of factors, the emerging arcane talent was channeled towards shadowy clans of mercenary assassins and spies known as “Shinobi.”

excerpted from “Social Implications of Emerging Arcana”, Dr. Mal’quiel Arasahtoma, Ph.D, Th.D., Arc.D. Sigil: Infinity Press, 1798 TICE
Satori

Unread postby Satori » September 20th, 2010, 12:18 am

If anyone is still interested in beta-ing, the finished first draft of chapter 1 is up on Google Docs. I hope i made it much more clear than it was.
Satori

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » September 20th, 2010, 12:33 am

Im no writer so wont even try to suggest anything, just wanted to say I like what you wrote so far. =)
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Satori » October 17th, 2010, 2:08 am

New intro snippet:
Under the law set down by our founders, all citizens of the Semi-Autonomous Prefecture of Konoha are guaranteed certain rights. But not all are guaranteed all of those rights. It is the nature of being a soldier that one surrenders a number of one's civil liberties in order to serve the greater community. One loses the full rights of free speech -as a soldier one must hold oneself aloof from politics while on duty, restrain oneself to dignified behavior that reflects well upon his service, and keep secrets for the sake of security. One loses the right to legal recourses available to civilians -as a soldier one will face court marshal or a military tribunal, waiving ones right to a jury of ones peers. A soldier is above all one under authority. One who obeys the lawful commands of superior officers, and serves the purposes of the state. This is not a burden everyone can bear.
The way of the Ninja did not begin as a way of soldiers. It began as a way of assassins and spies. Its roots are in the structures of clans, not battalions. Yet as the great Uchiha and Senju clans came to discover, the changing times necessitated that ninja organize themselves on a large scale than scattered tribes of mercenaries, if they wanted to forge for themselves a true place in society, rather than accept the scraps and alleys they were offered. Thus, was born the Hidden Village, a compromise between the old Clan structure and the clear regimented structure of a true military. Shinobi ranks were created: Genin as the rank and file, Chunin as squad leaders, Jounin as the officer corps. Clans agreed to subordinate familial allegiances to a greater loyalty to the village as a whole. The office of Kage was created as the commander in chief of military forces.
Thus, it is that the modern culture of the hidden village is neither truly civilian nor truly military. Many of the accoutrements of military organization have been adopted, but clan loyalties persist, as does the mercenary system of hiring ninjas for missions. A Shinobi or Kunoichi of the leaf is not a civilian. He or she swears allegiance to the village and to the Hokage, and acts under duly appointed authority. But ninja of the leaf need not observe all the rigors of military life. They are free to lead their lives as they wish, within the law, when not on a mission or performing other duties. They can walk home, put away their headband, and relax in the civilian style.
There is a reason for this. True military regimentation is incompatible with the strong clan traditions that still underlie the ninja arts. Being a Shinobi or Kunoichi is still, by and large a family legacy. Although the Konoha Academy is open to all, the most successful and capable ninja are mostly those who have the support and tutelage of family members who are themselves veteran Shinobi. This means that the perpetuation of the ninja arts requires that ninjas form families, which they cannot do if they live in military barracks and spend long, continuous, periods on duty. Indeed, one of the attractions of the Hidden Village concept is to provide the safe space in which Shinobi and Kunoichi can find peace from the violence and attend to family matters.
But while there are benefits to relaxing military regulations, there is still a need for a disciplined, regimented force operating under full military authority. Such a force is needed to provide cadre and the core of an army should the village move to a full war footing, to provide domestic security and conduct counterespionage and counterterrorism, and to maintain a vigilant watch over the village's territories and possessions. Thus, there is a need for the ANBU. And that is what the ANBU is. It is not merely a special squad, it is the fully military arm of the village, composed of those who willing surrender years of their lives to ensure security and peace for there fellow Shinobi. Who stand vigilant so their comrades may have the opportunity to relax, rest, recuperate. Who sacrifice for the good of the community.
This is what it means to be an ANBU.

-Preface to ANBU Procedural Manual, 2nd Edition, contributed by Tobirama Senju, Broadleaf Press, NE 768
Is the use of "one" too jarring, and if so, what pronoun should I switch it to?
Satori

Unread postby Phht » October 17th, 2010, 2:48 am

I didn't find the use of "one" jarring in that context. "You" seems to be speaking to the reader, and "they" doesn't really work since you're talking about "a soldier" rather than "soldiers." Though "a jury of ones peers" seems like there's an error there, but I could be wrong.

I really like that intro snippet in any case.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » October 17th, 2010, 2:56 am

Yes, it should be "jury of one's peers". Other than that, I quite like it.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Lightwhispers » October 18th, 2010, 10:39 am

I also like it. It's a good explanation of some of the social eccentricities of the Hidden Villages, and yet has touches (like calling Konoha a "Semi-Autonomous Prefecture") that hint at much more of the world left to discover.
:waytogo

A nitpick: It should be "court martial" rather than "court marshal", as you had it.
Warning: the above may contain strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and logic (which may be unsuitable for stupid people).
-adapted from xkcd

I'm a solipsistic conspiracy theorist. I'm sure I must be up to something, and I will not stop until I find out what.
-xkcd
Lightwhispers

Unread postby Satori » October 18th, 2010, 4:46 pm

A nitpick: It should be "court martial" rather than "court marshal", as you had it.
*blink* how in blazes did *that* happen? will fix.
Satori

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop