Problems with Cliche

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Problems with Cliche

Unread postby Calinero » August 14th, 2010, 8:32 pm

I've been bouncing around an idea for a story in my head, influeced a bit by the Cthulhu mythos (particularly the bits concerning ghouls). I am actually a bit proud of myself for having come up with a complete outline for the story, and am ready to begin writing--almost. The problem is, I got into my opening scene (a young girl being abducted by the ghouls) and it reads like the beginning of essentially every horror movie, ever. How would you recommend that I avoid seeming trite and cliche, and find a way to make horror material more interesting?
Calinero

Re: Problems with Cliche

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » August 14th, 2010, 9:26 pm

A lot of it is in the delivery. Write it, placing in a red herring or two, and then we can analyze what you've written to see what we need to tweak to give it the fresh wind you're seeking.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Nitramy » August 16th, 2010, 3:12 am

Try writing it from the ghouls' POV. Something like, "a nubile girl! Pity we've already gone into undeath, as the bodily functions we took for granted in life no longer exist in undeath."

Or...

"They changed the Dancing Zombie! That sucks, man."

And then they keep the girl from screaming by having her join the conversation about which plants do best in Survival Endless, for instance.
slowly but surely / the moon / quietly goes to the stars
my fanfiction.net profile
Nitramy

AOL: linuxblacksarena

Unread postby Kirai » August 16th, 2010, 5:10 am

Try writing it from the ghouls' POV. Something like, "a nubile girl! Pity we've already gone into undeath, as the bodily functions we took for granted in life no longer exist in undeath."

Or...

"They changed the Dancing Zombie! That sucks, man."

And then they keep the girl from screaming by having her join the conversation about which plants do best in Survival Endless, for instance.
Only problem with that is that he's still going for horror I think. Humors fine and all, but it does make horror a bit less effective.
Kirai

Unread postby serbii » August 16th, 2010, 5:15 am

I think from the Ghoul's point of view is a good start though. You could work that as horror.
serbii

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop