Dates in the wizarding world?

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Dates in the wizarding world?

Unread postby Hexadecimal » August 14th, 2010, 10:54 pm

I've seen the old stand by of standard mundane dates in a lot of HP fiction in romance fanfics and even plan to use some myself. But with the wizarding world and magic involved, surely there has to be other recreational activities to take your love interest other than a quidditch game?

Where else could they be taken?
Hexadecimal

Re: Dates in the wizarding world?

Unread postby Thozmp » August 15th, 2010, 6:55 pm

I'd like to know something as well: Where exactly does a wizard/witch meet a muggle? You hear how some students are born from one magical parent and one muggle parent, but from the way the whole wizarding world is described, it sounds like something like that shouldn't happen, with wizards working primarily in the wizarding society and wizards in general seemingly having very little interaction with muggles.
Thozmp

Unread postby Hexadecimal » August 16th, 2010, 5:47 am

I assumed through families for Muggleborn and half bloods. Or through relatives of friends and so on. Some might even just be asked out in the street or vice versa.
Hexadecimal

Unread postby Kodra » August 16th, 2010, 11:51 am

The obvious one is Madam Puddifoots. Other than that, going off to a broom closet, or just snogging in plain sight seems to be the activity of choice for dates.

Honestly, when it comes down to it, Harry Potter doesn't really have a lot of leisure activity in it. I've been struggling with what to have my characters do in their downtime as well. It seems like the Wizarding world is trailing behind the muggle world in this regard as well.

If you want something inventive though, I would recommend pensieve viewings as a replacement for movies. Wizarding Actors create memories of fantastical stories that they edit (yay memory magic) and then extract into a pensieve. Then very high quality pensieves that can hold large audiences allow the viewer to watch the movie.
Kodra

Unread postby Phht » August 16th, 2010, 6:16 pm

If you want something inventive though, I would recommend pensieve viewings as a replacement for movies. Wizarding Actors create memories of fantastical stories that they edit (yay memory magic) and then extract into a pensieve. Then very high quality pensieves that can hold large audiences allow the viewer to watch the movie.
Except then you leave the movie offerings to the limits of creativity of the wizarding world. :innocent:

Maybe what's-his-face from CoS made movie adaptations of his books before he "retired"? ;)
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » August 17th, 2010, 4:21 am

Gilroy Lockhart the utter fraud? I suppose he was said to be good with memory charms.

On the topic... flying? I do not know about anyone else, but that seems to me as though it could be nice enough for a date activity.
Magic shows? That is to say, using magic to produce really awesome light/illusion shows?

As for how wizards/witches meet Muggles, presumably some of them have Muggle neighbors. Possibly some work mundane jobs? And in the case of Muggleborn witches/wizards, all of their earliest acquaintances would be nonmagical, so if they kept in contact... and they might introduce their magical friends to their nonmagical friends/relatives.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop