Jumping on the Naruto/Nanoha Bandwagon!

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Jumping on the Naruto/Nanoha Bandwagon!

Unread postby MEKristian » August 15th, 2010, 11:54 pm

Because it's a small bandwagon that needs more love. Now, from what I can gather, this plays between the two ideas Nitramy and Flux_Blade have already laid out. But, I don't want to give away my full hand, so-to-speak, so I'll just give you what I've got so far and hope that for once people comment on it. :-|

And Special Thanks to gman, doc.exe, and especially ewuvi for various parts in the planning process they played.

So, without further ado, here's Chapter one of "Something that totally needs an awesome Title, but doesn't yet have one (Name subject to change)"
Spoiler: show
Jiraiya, the legendary Toad Mountain Sage and one third of the Sannin heaved a mighty sigh. On the one hand, the mood in the Village was cheerful and festive as people from across the Elemental Countries gathered for Konoha’s hosting of the Chunin exam. Many were especially excited by the prospects who had made it this year; apparently, a preliminary match had to be held after the second test due to too many candidates passing, so the winners had to be really amazing, right?

But it was all lost on the Hermit, as his reasons for being in the village were far more serious. About six years ago, Konoha’s jinchuuriki, his godson, had mysteriously vanished without any explanation as to where he could be. So the Old Man he called Sensei had practically gotten on his hands and knees and begged his student to try and find the child. Jiraiya would never admit out-loud that he hadn’t needed to go even half that far to convince him to do it. So he had spent the past six years tearing everywhere from Wave to Lightening apart looking for the missing kid.

But now he’d have to face the Old Man with nothing to show for it. He had managed to figure out, on the day the boy went missing, that a lumberjack living just outside of Konoha had seen a strange flash of light, but couldn’t find anything at the source. The Hermit, being much more knowledgeable about such matters, had discerned two things the moment he had seen the site; firstly, that the aged sealing array that had been painstakingly marked in the clearing was definitely Minato’s handiwork, and secondly, that Space-time Ninjutsu activated by such a massive seal could have plonked the boy anywhere. For all Sage knew, the boy had traveled back in time and had become his own grandfather! But having to tell the Third that was a whole other matter.

Jiraiya blinked as he heard a muffled squeak and dull thud from in front of and behind him, followed by a short series of coos. Apparently he had been so caught-up in his own thoughts, he had missed whoever he had run into. Looking down, he saw a girl who had to be no older then ten, wearing a white cloak and rubbing her hooded head. But the small beast aloft beside her is what got the Sage’s attention; blue and white body, a small ring in what he assumed was an ear, wings flapping softly to keep it aloft, and obviously reptilian features. The little ten-year old girl he had run into had a dragon for a pet. Nobody had seen one in nearly forever! The girl had to be from somewhere truly… far away… Oh, now this was a gamble even his old team-mate wouldn’t pass-up on in his position.

“Ah, sorry miss,” He began, aiming for his best “fun grandfather” voice, (which he absolutely hadn’t been practicing it since Kushina had started showing, no way no how) “I was too caught up in my thoughts and didn’t watch where I was going.”

“Ah, I wasn’t paying attention either.” The girl says to him, pulling down her hood to reveal her blue eyes, “I’m not from around here so I was caught up in the atmosphere; I’ve never seen a festival this big.” Oh-ho? Not from around here? Now he was really intrigued.

“No, no; it’s the responsibility of adults like myself to take fault in such events. But, I have to wonder why, if you’ve never been to Konoha before, you decided to come now.” The girl’s answer would be crucial to if he’d have a tangible lead or not; it was make or break time.

“Ah, well a friend of mine used to live here a while ago,” she answers quickly, “since now was the only time he could come, he asked me and my other friend to come with him, since his family was all busy. But we decided to split-up to cover more ground while he went to see somebody, so I ended up here.”

Jackpot. A friend who used to live here a while ago and only having been able to come back recently almost pegged the identity of the person squarely. Now Jiraiya only had to confirm it all.

“Well, little Miss,” he says, giving the girl the best “nice-guy” smile he can manage, (a far cry from Maito Gai, he hopes) “since I know this village like the back of my hand, it’d be unbecoming if I didn’t offer to show you around.” The girl smiles happily, clapping he hands together and nodding.

“Yes, that would be great, Mister…”

“Jiraiya,” he says easily, “They call me Jiraiya.”

“Thank you, Mister Jiraiya,” she replies with a small bow, “My name is Caro ru Lushe, and this here is my partner, Fried.” The small dragon coos happily as an introduction. Jiraiya gives a small nod as he starts guiding the girl through the crowds. Today might not be as bad as he thought!

----
Chapter 1: The World Without You
----

Erio Modial could appreciate the work that must have gone into the creation of this village. Sure, it wasn’t as large as half of The Bureau’s facilities, much less the cities, but when one considered how low the level of technology was on the planet, even something this size was quite a marvel. He had decided to instruct Strada to take pictures of the city at various intervals; not only would it give them a good idea of the layout of the village, but he could send some of the better pictures home to Fate-san. Quickly, he checked Strada for the time, letting the device snap another picture; he should be meeting up with Caro and Naruto-san soon.

“Hey kid, did you get separated from Mommy…?”

“N-No… P-Please leave me alone…”

“Hey, look at these glasses. Bet they’re real important to you, huh you little Grass-bitch?”

“P-Please! Give them back! I can’t see without my glasses-!” Erio turned to the sound of laughter; a pair of older looking kids appeared to be picking on a younger girl, tossing a pair of glasses between them as she desperately (and unsuccessfully) fumbles around trying to retrieve them. All were wearing headbands with metal plates (the girl with a strange zigzag pattern the attackers with an intricate one reminding him of a snail), indicating their status as Ninja, or so Naruto-san had said.

Sonic Move.

Never the less, the first one never saw what hit him. The remaining bullies took a step backwards, glaring at the young boy as he pulled back his elbow and stood protectively in front of the now dumbfounded girl.

“I won’t let you continue tormenting this person,” he says confidently, returning the glare of any who dare look him in the eyes, “if you insist on continuing, I shall be your opponent!” Not that he was feeling too confident; since this was an un-administered world, he was quite limited in his ability to use magic, and he wasn’t a fist-fighter like Subaru-san. But if he backed-down now, what would he tell Caro and Fate-san? He braces himself for the coming onslaught.

But it never comes; a girl steps in front of him and decks the closest opponent with a large metal bar. Erio also hears a rattling sound behind him, and quickly turning his head to look, finds a strange boy dressed in black with a weird wooden humanoid shape draped across his shoulders.

“Now, now,” the latter says smugly, “do Konoha nin get off on picking on people smaller than them? You guys should be like the rest of us and spread the fun around!” The gang seemed to hesitate, but somebody within the group seemed to muster their courage and charge, the rest following his lead.

The “battle” ended a mere thirty seconds later, the 4 standing in the center of a ring of their downed opponents.

“You twerps all right?” The man in black asks, wrapping his strange weapon back up in bandages. Erio why several lines have been pained on his face, especially since the blonde female lacked them; must be a personal thing, he reasons.

“M-My glasses…” Erio nods, retrieving them from the grip of a downed opponent before handing them to the young girl. Her cheeks are tinged red as she carefully places them back on her face, finally getting a good look at her saviours.

“Thank you for saving me,” she mumbles, shuffling her feet, “I’m-.”

“Oi, Karin,” somebody from the crowd shouts in their general direction, “Sensei’s ready to leave! Hurry up and get back here will ‘ya?” The girl lets out a squeak, apologizing to the three around her before heading towards the voice.

“Karin-san!” Erio find himself calling out, stopping the girl for a second, “I’m Erio, Erio Mondial! Let’s meet again some day!” Karin smiles broadly, before disappearing into the crowed.

“So, kiddo, that was an interesting move you used; were you here for the Chunin exams?” The young knight feels himself tense-up. The boy in black had noticed his Sonic Move; he’d have to be careful to not have himself found out.

“No, it’s something my guardian taught me,” it’s not a complete lie, Fate-san had taught it to him, “I’m only here with some friends of mine. What is the “Chunin exam”…?” It would be good to get some information on this world.

“Ah, I see; I didn’t recognize you from the exams so I was wondering. But to not know of the exams… you must be from some small village far away huh?” Erio clenches his hands a couple times before the blonde takes over.

“I guess the short version of it is that it’s a promotion examination set up by multiple countries in place of full-board wars. It’s split into a written component, a survival exercise, and a combat tournament. Anybody who makes it to the last stage can be promoted regardless of if they win their fights or not; it’s up to the Leader of the respective villages.”

“Of course, promotion isn’t exactly the reason we’re here…” The boy in black says, earning a glare from the blonde. Erio decided it was best not to ask.

“I should get going now; my friends are waiting for me. Thank you for your help.” He says, giving a short bow to the two.

“It’s no problem,” the boy in black says, “but if you’re ever in Sand, look us up. I’m Kankuro and this is my Sister, Temari.” Erio nods, before heading off to meet Caro and Naruto-san, waving at the two ninja. Hopefully he wouldn’t be too late.

----

Shikamaru sighed as he watched the clouds lazily float by. He envies Ino and Chouji, passed out in blissful unconsciousness beside him on the bench. Asuma-sensei had been pushing them even since the end of the preliminaries, apparently due to some bet the Jounin had had about the outcomes. Because of that, Asuma had taken it out on Team 10, busting their butts since the end of the exam preliminaries. So they were taking the brief respite to get some much needed rest.

Or, at least Chouji and Ino were, he on the other hand was finding it hard to slip into the brink of blissful unconsciousness. His mind kept working furiously with all the information he’d been subject to since the start of this blasted exam. That one team especially stood out like a sore thumb; the only member of their team not to pass the preliminaries had earned a double knock out because Chouji ran him over. And of course, the team from Sound had been swaggering around with supposed superiority, and had tried to kill Sasuke during the second exam to boot. Shikamaru was quite sure he never wanted to get near Team 7 again. But it wasn’t all adding up to him, and what did add up required large leaps of logic that took him into really bad places he didn’t want to think about. And he couldn’t push it out of his mind, so here he was, stuck awake.

“Yo!” Oh, great, now his sleep-deprived brain is making him hallucinate too. Standing in front of him is the Naruto Uzumaki, dressed in a burnt orange jacket and with some strange wheeled device attached to the bottom of his shoes.

“What do you want?” The Nara asks in exasperation. The Hallucination blinked at him.

“Well I was going to go through the city looking for all of you guys to say hello and stuff since it’s been so long. Then I was going to get some Ichiraku for lunch, meet up with my team-mates, and then go see old man Hokage. So do you know where everybody else is?”

“I don’t know and I don’t care,” Shikamaru answers, “it’s too troublesome to keep up with everybody. Go ask Iruka-sensei or something; let me sleep.”

“Why didn’t I think of that? Thanks Shikamaru, you really are the smart one!” And with that the hallucination rolls away and jumps off the side of the building, leaving the lazy boy to yawn, mutter to himself about how troublesome that was, before finally falling asleep.

---

She took several deep breaths, sitting in a meditative pose in front of one of the training posts. Even since the preliminary exams, she had known her current skill set wouldn’t be enough to win another round, so she was using the month grace period to pull off something that could give her an advantage. But she was finding the only options available to her to be particularly hard to pull off. Space-time ninjutsu happened to be her specialty, but she had never gone beyond packing things into her scrolls before, thus this new version was getting the best of her.

Judge concept of creation, she thought, listing the steps involved as she went through them, hypothesize basic structure, arrange component materials, and…

“What are you doing, Sempai?” Tenten inwardly sighed, cracking an eye open to see a worried looking face hovering over her.

“I was meditating to perfect the steps for my new Jutsu,” she says, mouth pulling into a small smirk, “until somebody decided to interrupt me.” The face instantly turns a shade of red, shirking back out of embarrassment.

“I just thought, since you were working so hard, you’d want lunch…” Tenten can’t help but smile; they’re just so adorable when you tease them!

“No, it’s okay Sakura; I was going to break for lunch soon anyways.” Sakura nods, setting down the small basket. The two had formed a strange friendship following the preliminaries; Tenten had, seeing how poor the girl was skill-wise, decide to make an offer to help her train. Now, when she had made the offer, she had expected something similar to how most kunoichi-prospects of her generation were, as it was delicately put, “rampaging fangirls”. But Sakura had turned out to be a rather sweet girl (barring a temper that would leave even Neji thinking twice) albeit somewhat paranoid.

“So,” Tenten asks, digging into the bento Sakura had prepared, “how goes team training?”

“It doesn’t,” the pink-haired girl replies indifferently, “Sensei’s been busy keeping everybody in line. Combined with training for the exams, he hasn’t had time to train me.” Tenten winces a little at that; she knows that the only reason Gai-sensei works most with Lee is because the boy needed it most. But from her observations, Sakura is the member of her team lagging most behind in skill making Tenten question what the poor girl’s Jounin-sensei is thinking.

“Alright then; how about, after lunch, we do some training. Together.” The pink-haired Kunoichi looks somewhat flustered from the proposal.

“But, don’t you need to train for the exams?” She asks, ducking her head to stare at her empty bento.

“Its fine,” Tenten says, waving dismissively, “I’m sure helping you out will help me in the long run anyways. And I can practice my new Jutsu at any time, but you’re here now, right?” Sakura’s smile made the older girl take a mental note to start carrying around sunglasses.

----

Iruka watchs in fascination as his former student fusses around the small kettle, checking several things and muttering to himself. The boy is now a far cry from where he had been when Iruka had least seen him; no longer a small, hyperactive bundle of energy, whatever the boy has been doing these past years seems to have mellowed him out far more than the academy teacher probably could have.

“Tea’s done.” Naruto says, placing a cup in front of his former teacher. Apparently, the years apart have also given the boy the ability to make some damn fine tea too, Iruka muses as he takes a sip.

“Heheh,” Naruto chuckles, watching the chunnin across from him taste the beverage, “Dad’s somewhat of a Tea aficionado, and he’s got a lot of meeting with people with the same tastes. Since I’m working as his assistant, tea brewing became somewhat of a second nature to me.” Iruka nods and takes another sip; he’s not quite sure where the boy’s been –and intends to tell the Hokage as soon as he can, of course- but from the little he’s revealed, the boy was somehow able to find a loving family who took him in and raised him. Good for him, Iruka thinks to himself, he’s certainly earned it.

“So, Naruto,” the teacher says, deciding to cut to the chase, “where have you been all this time…?” The boy stops for a second, heaving a sigh. It seems he knew the question would be asked sooner or later, and when he looks back at Iruka, it’s with the most serious expression the man had ever seen on the boy’s face.

“Iruka-sensei… if you want me to tell you where I’ve been, you have to promise me you won’t tell anybody, even Old Man Hokage; I’m gonna tell him myself. If you start telling everybody, I’ll really get in serious trouble, understand?” Iruka nods dumbly; it’s not the kind of tone he would have expected from a former student, much less somebody like Naruto… but he knows he can’t disagree, and can’t say for sure he won’t uphold the terms. The boy seems to relax, giving him a relaxed smile.

“Well, I won’t go into everything, ‘cause that’d take a while, and I’ve still got things I want to do today, but the short version is that I ended up on planet called Mid-Child. Dad found me passed out outside his house, and adopted me since I had nowhere to go.” He pauses to take a sip of his own tea.

“From there, I’ve been in training to be a mage for the Time-Space Administration Bureau; both of my sisters are already mages, and Dad’s a Major of a Battalion for them. I’m not very good yet though, and I’m still really low in the hierarchy, but I’ll definitely become a top mage one day, believe it!” Iruka can’t help but chuckle; he doesn’t really understand what Naruto’s saying –not that he doubts the boy’s story- but he’s glad he’s not completely different at least.

“So, to what do we owe the honour of the Great Mage Naruto’s return?” He chuckles a bit at the moniker, rubbing the back of his head.

“Well, even though Konoha wasn’t the greatest place to grow up, I was still feeling a bit homesick, and I was wondering how everybody was. I was hoping I could get something set up so I could visit everybody once in a while; maybe introduce everybody to my family…”

“You’re here alone now then?” Iruka can’t fathom how they’d let him come all this way completely alone.

“No, no, no. I’d never be allowed to come alone, but since Dad and my sisters were too busy to come, he asked a friend of his if there was anybody who could accompany me. She gave him two people who are both higher-ranked then I am, and were also able to easily take the time off. They’re friends of Onee-chan to boot!

“Now, what happened to everybody in the class? I was hoping to see Shikamaru, Chouji and them today too.” Sure, they hadn’t been the closest of friends, but Naruto had made it a point to remember the names of all eight of his classmates who had warranted his attention; Shikamaru, Chouji and Kiba had skipped the few classes he had taken with him, Sakura had stricken him as pretty at the time and Ino was remembered by that association, Sasuke had been way to awesome at everything, Shino liked bugs (which to his six-year-old mind was the single most awesome thing ever), and Hinata had never said anything bad about him. Of course, his memory of them was both short and somewhat fuzzy, but he had been hoping they could become friends. Heck, he could even beat Sasuke with his awesome magical powers! But the way Iruka-sensei looks at the floor makes his stomach turn.

“A… lot of things happened while you were gone,” the teacher manages to lamely say after several seconds, “they all graduated and became full fledge shinobi of the Leaf…”

“Well, what’s the problem…?”

“…Well, their Senseis decided to enter them in the Chunin exam. They were able to make it past the first two parts, but everybody but Kiba ended up failing the preliminaries for the third. Most of them weren’t seriously injured, and Sasuke and Chouji got out of the Hospital shortly after… but Hinata…” The Small table in the Academy’s break room shakes as Naruto’s hands slam against it.

“What happened?”

----

Sakura hits the ground with a groan. Again, she notes mentally. She’s never been able to land a solid blow on Sempai, though not for lack of trying.

“You’re still over extending,” Tenten chastises softly, offering her a hand, “if you can’t help it, you have to fully continue with the motion to put you in a different position. As you are, your recovery is a huge opening.” Sakura nods, smiling as Sempai helps her up. Wordlessly, they return to their positions, resetting for another round. And, lo, and behold, a few minutes later, the younger kunoichi founder herself staring at the sky and dizzily wondering why.

The simple spars were just one of the few ways in which Sempai trained; sometimes Sakura would be show how to perform a simple taijutsu move, then Tenten would stand in as the target for it (which was always followed up next session with Sakura being asked to repeat what she had learned), or they’d both try and learn something together. And she needs to learn; she can’t be a burden to her team any more. Sure, she knows Kakashi-sensei is strong, really strong, but she knows that even he won’t be able to stop her team mates if they decide she’s holding them back.

Sakura shakes her head, trying to clear her train of thought. Unfortunately, it was just as Sempai threw a powerful elbow strike at her; normally even at her current level, she could easily side-step the attack, or some other parry. But, in her distracted state, the elbow smashed into her chest, sending her tumbling backwards. She feels her head strike against something solid, and hears a popping noise as the world seems to blur and she slumps to the ground with a moan.

“Ah! Sakura!? Are you okay?” Oh, Sempai’s concerned; having people worry about you is nice, she figures.

“I-I’m… fine…” As if to prove her point, Sakura tries to stand, but fails with a cry; her ankle hurts too much to stand. Tenten gives her a strange look before easily picking her up.

“That’s it,” she says softly, “I’m going to take you to the hospital. Get your ankle checked and make sure you don’t have a concussion.” Giving a slight affirmative noise, Sakura is amazed by how easily Sempai makes carrying her look.

----

The girl gazes out the hospital window with an almost unreadable expression. It was the first time she had been able to do so since the match, but it was still an empty milestone for her. It had been impossible; she had known that from the start. It wasn’t destiny, but it had been predetermined. Kurenai-sensei, her team-mates, Neji’s team-mates and Sakura-san had all told her how amazing she had been, even if she had lost. How she had refused to stop getting up even though it had seemed so obvious that she would loose. That she had managed to hit the Hyuuga Prodigy, even if it was a glancing, nigh ineffective blow. And truthfully, a part of her was proud of the accomplishment too. Unfortunately, it was small in comparison to the rest of her mind that drowned out the sliver of pride with a chorus of a single phrase.

“You may never be an active ninja again.” That’s what the doctors had told her after she had finally woken up. It was a simple phrase, one that many ninja would be rattled by, but would eventually overcome and settle into a quieter life. But for her, it was even more devastating than the time her father had made it clear that she was a failure to him and their clan; back then, she still had her dream to cling to, and deep down she had believed her father would have to accept her. But, Neji had had the last laugh in the end, even though she was pretty sure he wouldn’t even realize he had.

But her dream was ruined now, with no way to ever really achieve it in her condition. And without that simple supporting pillar, in her life, the despair was starting to get to her. She would probably be placed into the branch family, sold in a political marriage, or just simply abandoned to the life she had become ill-suited to.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered to herself, hoping somehow the words would carry to the only other person who should hear them, “I can’t keep our promise any more. I’ve failed.”

“HINATA!”

She’s not sure if the shout of her name from the strange yet familiar voice is what first catches her attention, or if it’s the way the door is slammed open. But now, standing in the doorway, is something she can’t quite believe; a blond haired, blue-eyed boy, panting heavily, with three whisker-like lines on his cheeks, poking out from hastily applied bandages.

“Na… ru… to… kun…?” Today is the first day Hinata Hyuuga wishes she was a fainter.
Hopefully my tenses weren't too off-the-wall or something to make this readable. I can't really consciously work the scenes and get the tense right. Anyways, please review, critique, or comment.
Last edited by MEKristian on September 9th, 2010, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Re: Jumping on the Naruto/Nanoha Bandwagon!

Unread postby Flux_Blade » August 16th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Well, I like it is interesting to say the least. Funny to see who his father is, I'm guessing he has been adopted for a while then. Does that mean his sisters like to smother him with attention, or was that a fanon thing I picked up.

I really liked your portrayal of Jiraiya, especially the whole, "aiming for his best “fun grandfather” voice, (which he absolutely hadn’t been practicing it since Kushina had started showing, no way no how)" well that and the far cry from Maito Gai's smile.

In the spoiler is errors I found. Though have someone else go over this, grammar is not my strong suit.
“No, no; it’s the responsibility of adults like myself to take fault in such events. But, I have to wonder why, if you’ve never been to Konoha before, you decided to come now.” Perhaps move the why after the second comma.

Today might (not) be as bad as he thought!

It’s split into a written component, a survival exercise, and a combat tournament. Anybody who makes it to the last stage can be promoted regardless of The off might not be necessary if they win their fights or not; it’s up to the Leader of the respective villages.”

“Of course, promotion isn’t exactly the reason we’re here…” The boy in black says, earning a glare from the blonde. Erio decided it was best not to ask. Any reason why Kankuro mentioning that, sure Erio doesn't know about the chunin exams, but if curious, it might put a bit of hot water around.

Shikamaru sighed as he watched the clouds lazily float by. He envied(s) Ino and Chouji, passed out in blissful unconsciousness beside(s) him on the bench. Asuma-sensei had been pushing them even since the end of the preliminaries, apparently due to some bet the Jounin had had about the outcomes. Because of that, Asuma had taken it out on Team 10, busting their butts since the end of the exam preliminaries. So they were taking the brief respite to get some much needed rest.

“Yo!” Oh, great, now his sleep-deprived brain was (is) making him hallucinate too. Standing in front of him was (is) the Naruto Uzumaki, dressed in a burnt orange jacket and with some strange wheeled device attached to the bottom of his shoes.

“What do you want?” The Nara asked (asks) in exasperation. The Hallucination blinked blinks at him.

“Well I was going to go through the city looking for all of you guys to say hello and stuff since it’s been so long. Then I was going to get some Ichiraku for lunch, meet up with my team-mates, and then go see old man Hokage. So do you know where everybody else is?”

“I don’t know and I don’t care,” Shikamaru answered (answers), “it’s too troublesome to keep up with everybody. Go ask Iruka-sensei or something; let me sleep.”

“Why didn’t I think of that? Thanks Shikamaru, you really are the smart one!” And with that the hallucination rolled (rolls) away and jumped (jumps) off the side of the building, leaving the lazy boy to yawn, mutter to himself about how troublesome that was, before finally falling asleep.

Iruka watched watches in fascination as his former student fusses around the small kettle, checking several things and muttering to himself. The boy is now a far cry from where he had been when Iruka had least seen him; no longer a small, hyperactive bundle of energy, whatever the boy has been doing these past years seems to have mellowed him out far more than the academy teacher probably could have.

The girl gazed gazes out the hospital window with an almost unreadable expression. It was is the first time she had been able to do so since the match, but it was is still an empty milestone for her. It had been impossible; she had known that from the start.
I was also good, no cracks at the british spelling either. :wink:

Also, you are horrible, this is pushing me to start writing mine some more.
Still proud owner of no avatar.

Digimon Quest, it's back. Clicky.
Flux_Blade

Unread postby MEKristian » August 16th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Dechstreme wasn't the first person to reply! I'm honestly surprised!
Well, I like it is interesting to say the least. Funny to see who his father is, I'm guessing he has been adopted for a while then. Does that mean his sisters like to smother him with attention, or was that a fanon thing I picked up.
They're a happy little family, though I don't think he's smothered with attention, they are fairly close.
I really liked your portrayal of Jiraiya, especially the whole, "aiming for his best “fun grandfather” voice, (which he absolutely hadn’t been practicing it since Kushina had started showing, no way no how)" well that and the far cry from Maito Gai's smile.
Thanks; I really tried to put effort into making him love his godson dearly, even though he wasn't around. Seems like I pulled it off.

In the spoiler is errors I found. Though have someone else go over this, grammar is not my strong suit.
“No, no; it’s the responsibility of adults like myself to take fault in such events. But, I have to wonder why, if you’ve never been to Konoha before, you decided to come now.” Perhaps move the why after the second comma.

Today might (not) be as bad as he thought!

It’s split into a written component, a survival exercise, and a combat tournament. Anybody who makes it to the last stage can be promoted regardless of The off might not be necessary if they win their fights or not; it’s up to the Leader of the respective villages.”

“Of course, promotion isn’t exactly the reason we’re here…” The boy in black says, earning a glare from the blonde. Erio decided it was best not to ask. Any reason why Kankuro mentioning that, sure Erio doesn't know about the chunin exams, but if curious, it might put a bit of hot water around.

Shikamaru sighed as he watched the clouds lazily float by. He envied(s) Ino and Chouji, passed out in blissful unconsciousness beside(s) him on the bench. Asuma-sensei had been pushing them even since the end of the preliminaries, apparently due to some bet the Jounin had had about the outcomes. Because of that, Asuma had taken it out on Team 10, busting their butts since the end of the exam preliminaries. So they were taking the brief respite to get some much needed rest.

“Yo!” Oh, great, now his sleep-deprived brain was (is) making him hallucinate too. Standing in front of him was (is) the Naruto Uzumaki, dressed in a burnt orange jacket and with some strange wheeled device attached to the bottom of his shoes.

“What do you want?” The Nara asked (asks) in exasperation. The Hallucination blinked blinks at him.

“I don’t know and I don’t care,” Shikamaru answered (answers), “it’s too troublesome to keep up with everybody. Go ask Iruka-sensei or something; let me sleep.”

“Why didn’t I think of that? Thanks Shikamaru, you really are the smart one!” And with that the hallucination rolled (rolls) away and jumped (jumps) off the side of the building, leaving the lazy boy to yawn, mutter to himself about how troublesome that was, before finally falling asleep.

Iruka watched watches in fascination as his former student fusses around the small kettle, checking several things and muttering to himself. The boy is now a far cry from where he had been when Iruka had least seen him; no longer a small, hyperactive bundle of energy, whatever the boy has been doing these past years seems to have mellowed him out far more than the academy teacher probably could have.

The girl gazed gazes out the hospital window with an almost unreadable expression. It was is the first time she had been able to do so since the match, but it was is still an empty milestone for her. It had been impossible; she had known that from the start.
I was also good, no cracks at the british spelling either. :wink:
My grammar, especially in terms of tenses, is really, really bad. :|

And since I'm Canadian and have set my MS Word Language thusly, I'll use whatever it says is right.
Also, you are horrible, this is pushing me to start writing mine some more.
Well you should, since it's very good so far. And I for one want to see how it develops.
MEKristian

Unread postby ewuvi » August 16th, 2010, 10:29 pm

I like the characterization, as well.

It feels the tinsiest bit jumpy. It feels more like these are just threads that will be drawn together later, and seeing how it's a first chapter, it's fine.

I really should watch Nanoha, huh?

Great job, MeK, and I look forward to more. :biggrin:
ewuvi

Unread postby Darkandus » August 16th, 2010, 10:36 pm

I found it interesting, and I desire more. That's all I can really say as I haven't watched Nanoha.

Good work though. Keep it up.
Darkandus

Unread postby Nitramy » August 17th, 2010, 1:31 am

Judging by the "wheeled device" (Oh, I see what you did there) and "two sisters", I can venture a more-than-decent guess as to which family Naruto ended up in.

Just a couple of questions, though:
1. How does the Nine-Tailed Fox factor into all of this?

2. Will Naruto try to learn about being a ninja despite being a Knight?

3. Timeline-wise, is this before or after the events of StrikerS?
slowly but surely / the moon / quietly goes to the stars
my fanfiction.net profile
Nitramy

AOL: linuxblacksarena

Unread postby MEKristian » August 17th, 2010, 10:23 am

Judging by the "wheeled device" (Oh, I see what you did there) and "two sisters", I can venture a more-than-decent guess as to which family Naruto ended up in.

Just a couple of questions, though:
1. How does the Nine-Tailed Fox factor into all of this?

2. Will Naruto try to learn about being a ninja despite being a Knight?

3. Timeline-wise, is this before or after the events of StrikerS?
And yet, I bet I'll still manage to throw you a curve ball.

1. You'll have to see.

2. No. And I've even got an explanation for why~!

3. A few months after their graduation. Hence why Erio and Caro are somewhat more free than everybody else.
MEKristian

Unread postby MEKristian » September 3rd, 2010, 4:11 pm

Double posting, but as it's an update, I think I can get somewhat of a pass this time, yes?

Anyways, this took far longer to fully write out than I thought it would, but that's how it goes doesn't it? This hasn't been beta'd or anything yet either, so hopefully it's not too rough. But if it is, I'll try and fix it up.

And, without further delay, here's chapter 2. (I seriously need a title for this thing. jeez...)
“…”

“…”
Neither of them says anything for a good minute; for six years, they’ve thought about this conversation over and over, turning it about in their heads so that it would be perfect. All that hard work collapses within six seconds.

“Y-You’re not dying, are you…?” He mentally kicks himself for how stupid the question was.

“N-No. I’m not dying.” She mentally kicks herself for how stupid her response is. They both stay silent for several seconds, looking everywhere but at each other.

“What happened to you? Iruka-sensei said somebody almost killed you during the chuppalupa-or-whatever exams, but he didn’t know anything else.” Oh, great idea Naruto, start the conversation by asking about the time she almost died.

“Chunin exams,” she corrects lightly, “and my opponent just wished to kill me, that’s all.” A simple answer, he shouldn’t press more than-

“What? “Just wished to kill me”? What kind of idiotic reasoning is that!? I mean, even that bastard Jail’s motivations were “I want to make cyborg women and blow stuff up!” And really, who can blame that kind of logic? I mean, he still needs to go down, but there’s no ideological banter to oppose that!” Hinata blinked a few times as Naruto started to pace the room, rambling about some kind of weird prison or something. In all honesty, it was rather surreal to watch. Suddenly the boy turned to face her, as if trying to discern something.

“How exactly were you hurt?” His tone almost seems accusing; the same tone Kurenai-sensei uses whenever she thinks she’s pushing herself too hard.

“Here,” she says, placing her hand just slightly over where she can feel the rhythmic thumps that counter her among the living, “it was a powerful chakra strike here. The doctors said that it damaged the coils around there, so using any chakra would cause my heart to rupture… In short, I can’t continue as a Ninja…”

Naruto nods, as if in understanding, before grabbing the medical chart from her bed. He stares at it intently; the only indication of what he’s doing being the movement of his eyes, back and forth, as he reads. And somewhere in the back of her mind, Hinata feels the first real hope she’s had for a long time; if it’s Naruto-kun, surely by looking at what the doctors have said, he’ll be able to figure out something they couldn’t, and he’ll-

“I CAN’T READ A WORD OF THIS!” Naruto shouts, throwing his hands in the air. Well, so much for that idea. Naruto seems to fume for a few moments, before fishing around in his pocket for something. Eventually, he pulls out some strange silver box, and fiddles with it for a bit, muttering under his breath. Eventually, a strange, translucent screen appears in mid-air, making the Hinata recoil in surprise; a young girl is on the screen, apparently talking to Naruto.

“Yeah, seems like the damage is about the same area as a Linker Core…” he says in a hushed tone, “She says it’s threatening her heart… No, I can’t read these blasted medical charts so I can’t confirm it for sure… Look, Caro-san, can you at least take a look? I’m worried she’ll die or something that this rate… No, I don’t really care; this is an emergency you know! Yeah, yeah, see you soon.” Seemingly satisfied with the conversation, Naruto closes out his strange window and takes a seat.

“My friend agreed to take a look at you,” he says with a reassuring smile, “she’s not a doctor, but since she does know a bit of healing Magic, she might be able to help a little bit. Until then we can… talk?” But neither one can think of a good topic of conversation, leaving them in an awkward silence.

----
Chapter 2: Bring me a Dream
----

The small girl ducks behind a building as she waited for the two branch members to pass. Father had told her not to go see her hospitalized sister, so an encounter with any member of the branch family would set her escape attempts back by hours. Carefully removing the cardboard box she had opted to hide under, Hanabi Hyuuga pulls the hood of her sister’s jacket to further conceal her features as she continued towards the hospital.

The young girl didn’t fully understand the rift that had formed between her elder sister and father; she knew that it had started when her sister had been cast aside as the heir to the Main family, but how it had spurred out of control like it had was baffling. The two had barely spoken a word to each other since then, and Hinata had rarely stayed inside, even before she had graduated the academy.

All this had left the youngest girl to desperately hold on to both sides of her increasingly fragmented family, even if it meant disobeying Father. She was sure he’d forgive her in the long run, one they could all be a happy family again.

“But in the short term, this is really annoying.” She mutters, carefully checking around the corner before turning it. Having to keep herself from being recognized just to visit her only sister was seriously tedious, but if she considered it as further training for when she becomes a real ninja of the leaf.

Before she runs herself headlong into another woman’s chest, that is. Sputtering, Hanabi takes a step backwards, profusely apologizing in a way she knows her father would say is unbefitting of the Hyuuga head. Which, of course, is the minute she recognizes the red-eyed woman as her sister’s sensei.

“I’m sorry,” Hanabi says, sifting her body to try and place herself in the most advantageous position she can, “but I really have to go. I can’t have father find out.”

But, to her surprise, the woman merely sighs, before offering her hand out to the young Hyuuga heir.

“I was going to check up on Hinata anyways,” she says quietly, “so I’ll escort you to make sure you’re not found out.”

This woman is amazing, Hanabi decides as she takes the Jounin’s hand, Hinata is lucky to have somebody like this teach her.

----

Hinata is sure she’s never, ever been in a more awkward situation in her entire life. Her small hospital room was now crowded with three extra people, one of whom was a large sage, a small dragon, and Naruto-kun, who had stepped out momentarily to get everybody something to eat. Sounded like the set up of a joke to her.

“Please hold still, Hinata-san,” the girl -apparently named Caro- says, a glowing pink orb around her hand, “I can’t get a good scan if you’re moving around too much.” Hinata nods obligingly, lying still on the bed.

Active Scan.” The younger girl’s strange jewelled glove chirps. The Hyuuga girl still finds these strange things disconcerting, even after Naruto-kun had explained that they were just some kind of special tool to channel their ‘Magic’, along with the bizarre outfit the girl was wearing.

His explanation had been somewhat hasty and affected by his nerves, but she had gotten the main points; he had been living on a different world which had “mages” and “knights” instead of ninja. But Hinata had seen weirder; heck, the fact that Jiriaya, the Toad Mountain Sage and one of the Legendary Sannin was in her hospital room was definitely such a thing! Apparently, he had been looking for Naruto-kun since he disappeared, and while the two had bickered for a few minutes, they seemed to have settled on some kind of terms of agreement. So the older man had placed up some kind of seals in the room, and whatever they did, nobody was bothering them.

“So,” Jiriaya asks, finally breaking the silence, “how do you two kids know Naruto, exactly?”

“Naruto-san’s older sister used to work with us,” the boy, Erio, explains, “we met him during the JS-Incident. Oh, right; that was a large incident on Mid-child where a man named Jail Scaglietti tried to hold the world hostage. Nanoha-san, Fate-san, and the rest of us were able to stop him, but it was a really difficult battle and there was a lot of damage. We’re not exactly the best friends with Naruto-san, but he’s definitely a good person.” The old man nods, seemingly satisfied by the explanation. Hinata herself was still somewhat confused, but was at least happy to know that Naruto-kun was still the same as she remembered.

Scan Complete.” Caro’s glove finally replied. The girl nodded, looking over the small floating window that appeared in front of her. The girl’s eyes darted across the information, before she gave a small nod and the window vanished.

“I’m not a doctor,” she finally says, “but it seems that there’s some kind of natural blockage to your Linker Core that was damaged.”

“What is a Linker Core…?” Hinata asked, confused. Naruto-kun was using the term before, but he hadn’t explained it.”

“It’s where most mages get their power,” a voice chimes in from the doorway, Naruto standing with several covered ramen bowls in his arms, “it’s a sort of ethereal organ thingy that creates or siphons mana or something.” he gives a small shrug, handing out the bowls to every occupant of the room.

“That’s about right, Naruto-san. Anyways, it seems like the damage you took weakened that blockage, and if you tried to use your “chakra”, there’s a possibility something could go… wrong. I could try fixing it a little bit, but you’d really have to see somebody like Dr. Shamal to fix it completely.” Naruto nods, sighing.

“I’ll ask about it,” He says, “I’m probably going to get crap for this anyways; and Lieutenant Colonel Yagami’s friends with my father, so I should be able to work something out.” Well, that and the fact that he was on good terms with her anyways, so he could probably ask for a favour.

“Well, once you kids are done,” Jiriaya says from his seat, “I’d like to talk to Hyuuga-san alone.” Naruto gives the man a strange look, but seems to relent after a few seconds.

“Fine, fine, you old goat! But if you do anything to her, I’ll come and kick your ass!” The sage seems to chuckle, nodding to the boy’s threat as if remembering something from long ago. And all throughout the exchange, Hinata just feels more and more confused.

----

Kurenai Yuhi is utterly befuddled at the scene outside her student’s hospital room. Several nurses and a couple of other staff are mulling around the door, staring at it and whispering between each other. Sighing, the jounin takes the young girl at her side by the hand and walks through the crowd to the door. Before she can try and open it, a nurse grabs her arm.

“Nobody’s able to get in,” the nurse says in a hushed tone, “and we can’t hear what’s going on inside either. We think somebody sealed the room from the inside; we asked for a seal expert to come, but-.” Of course, the door chose that moment to open. Kurenai had to look up at the man standing in the door, even Hanabi rushed past them into the room.

“Oh dear,” Jiriaya said with an odd grin, “I knew the ladies loved the Sage, but have my charms really struck you speechless on sight?” Kurenai’s eyes instantly narrow as she gives her best glare.
“What do you want with my student.” Even if he’s one of the legendary sannin, Kurenai swears he will not lay his hands on Hinata. Unexpectedly though, the old sage simply sighs, walking away before turning to look at her.

“Come.” He says, his voice carrying far more power than she’d expect without some kind of jutsu. In somewhat of a daze, wondering what’s going on, the jounin obediently follows. Eventually the pair arrives on the roof of the hospital; Jiriaya takes a place at the railing, overlooking the rest of Konoha.

“You’ve got quite an interesting student there,” he says without preamble, causing Kurenai to flinch, “she’s lying in the hospital, with the possibility of death hanging over her head, and all she seems to worry about is her dream.” He chuckles, putting the jounin on edge.

“Are you done insulting my student?” she asks darkly, to which the old man shakes his head.

“I wasn’t insulting her; quite the opposite. I can understand that kind of desire to be strong, even if it’s really rare to see it in people so young and inexperienced. Besides, it appears my Godson has taken quite a shine to her.” Godson? Kurenai couldn’t think of anybody who’d warrant that kind of address from Jiriaya of all people.

“So,” he continues, “due to that, and due to the fact that it’d be best to have somebody keep a monitor on her health, I’ve decided to take Hinata as my apprentice.” And that left the Jounin gob smacked. One of the three legendary sannin wanted to take in her student to train, but…

“W-What are you babbling about? Hinata can’t train right now; you should know that much!” Hell, the girl was lucky enough to be alive at the moment; she was in no condition to train. But, the old man grins, leaving Kurenai at a loss for words again.

“A half-dead apprentice that could conceivably loose that half and day, and to train her without her keeling over? Honestly, it sounds like a challenge I can’t pass-up. I’ve already talked to her, and she’s agreed to it. So I’m just letting you know.” He walks past her before stopping at the door.

“Oh yeah, I should let you know,” he says with a strait face, “for ones with an underwire, the center gore is supposed to lie flat against the sternum. Yours is a cup size too small. Ciao.” And with that, Kurenai’s face turns a brilliant crimson, her arms quickly covering her chest as the old sage walks through the door and down the stairs, his crazed laughter echoing through the halls. And the Jounin is no longer sure if her student associating with that man would be a good thing or not.

----

Tenten waits anxiously as a doctor looks over Sakura. She’d feel really horrible if she’d seriously injured the girl after agreeing to train her. As the medic-nin goes over the pink hair girl, the older genin feels a ball of ice slowly growing in her stomach.

“I’ve got good news and bad news,” the medic finally says, “the good news is that her concussion is only mild; it should pass in a few minutes, if not already. The bad news is that she did sprain her ankle badly enough that she should stay off it for a few days. So no sparing or fighting, understand?” Both girls nod, Tenten letting out a breath she hadn’t realized she was holding.

“Come on, Sakura,” she says, pulling the girl onto her shoulder, “I’ll help get you home.” The other girl nods quietly, as the two begin to head back, before Sakura suddenly stops.

“What’s wrong, Sakura?” Tenten follows the girl’s gaze, resting upon some strange blond kid with a burnt Orange jacket talking to a red-haired boy and a pink-haired girl. She guesses that they must have been here for the chunin exams. Eventually the red-head and girl nod at something before heading out another exit, and the boy turns towards the other exit.

“Naruto-?” Sakura shouts, causing both Tenten and the boy to blink and turn towards the girl. The boy seems to grin, holding up his hand in greeting. Tenten looks between Sakura –who has a strange mixture of relief and fear on her face- and the boy, who was giving her a grin that seemed to want to split his face.

“Hey, Sakura! What are you doing here?” Apparently the two of them know each other; did they meet each other during a mission or something?

“Naruto… what are you doing here…?” The blond boy rubs the back of his head.

“Oh, I’m just here on vacation with some friends since I had the time.” He answers.

“Well then,” Tenten interjects, “if you’ll excuse us, I need to get Sakura home.”

“Ah, well, I’m headed to see Old Man Hokage, so I can go with you part of the way.” He says, still smiling. Tenten grudgingly accepts, and the three head down the road.

“So, how were those exam things?” Naruto finally asks, looking at Sakura. The pink haired girl looks down.

“I didn’t make it to the third round.” She responds glumly, but the boy seems unfazed.

“Well, that’s not that bad; you still made it that far right? That’s something to be proud of!” The older genin nods at that, causing Sakura to give her own small smile. They continue walking for several minutes in a companionable silence.

“And it looks like this is where we’ll part ways,” Naruto says when they finally reach the crossroads between the Hokage’s tower and Sakura’s house, “hopefully I’ll see you again later.” And he runs off towards the tower. Tenten looks at Sakura.

“So, who was that anyways? Friend of yours?” The younger girl looks at the ground solemnly.

“He should have been.” she answers finally, leaving the older girl more confused than she had been.

----

The man known as Hizuren Sarutobi, or more commonly the Third Hokage, breaths out a puff of smoke as he looks over the documents in front of him. That was the downside of the chunin exams; enough paperwork to beat a goat to death with. But, he supposes that it’s better than the alternative. But, just as he plans to tackle the latest page in his extensive stack, he hears somebody slip in through his office window. It really had been a long time since someone had sneaked into his office; he should wait and see who it was and what they want. For all he knew, Jiriaya had simply opted for a discrete method.

“Yo, Old Man! I’m back!” And that was all it took to shatter the Third Hokage’s bemusement to utter pieces.

“Na…ru…to…kun?” The blond haired boy frowns at him.

“Geez, that’s the second time I’ve gotten that reaction today! At least Iruka-sensei stammered a bit with his disbelief.” Yes, it was definitely Naruto; only their son could make such outrageous statements in such situations.

“Naruto-kun, you should be more respectful to your elders’ health; you could have given me a heart attack.” The boy grins, rubbing the back of his head and the aging ninja can’t help but do likewise.

“I’ll remember that for next time. So, let’s get this over with…” Sarutobi blinks.

“Get what over with, Naruto-kun?” The boy sighs, placing his hands in his pockets.

“The part where you make a big fuss, asking me where I’ve been, what I’ve been doing then try and lock me up and throw away the key.”

“We wouldn’t do that, Naruto,” The Hokage says, before pausing for a second, “well, at least I wouldn’t.”

“Ha! I knew you weren’t like that! Dad’s too paranoid.” Now that was something strange. It couldn’t be something to do with the seal, could it?

““Dad”, Naruto-kun?” Naruto blinks, before smiling sheepishly.

“Oh, right, I forgot to tell you; after I left, I was adopted by a nice family, so,” He takes a deep breath, puffing up his chest with pride as he snaps into a crisp salute, “TSBA, Private 3rd Class of the 108th Battalion, Naruto Uzumaki Nakajima, reporting, sir.”

Sarutobi had lived a very long life, so he felt that he could read people fairly well. And the way Naruto had delivered that line, and then break into a fit of snickering, told the old man that not only had the boy been waiting a long time to say it, but that this “Nakajima” family was something the boy loved dearly.

“I see,” he finally says, taking another puff of his pipe, “So, why don’t you tell this old man about them?” The boy instantly brightens at the prospect, taking a seat in front of the Hokage’s desk.

“They’re all really cool,” he says excitedly, “Dad’s a Major and in charge of the battalion I belong to. He’s kind of stern at times, but you can really tell he cares out us, so I think he’s an awesome dad. I’ve never met his wife though; she died before I met them, but my sisters tell me she was a really amazing person who was stronger then either of them! And since they’re so strong, she’d have to be even more awesome then you or the Fourth!” Sarutobi chuckles a bit at that; could there really exist such a person who could surpass Minato? Aside from his son, of course.

“And then there’s Gin-nee,” Naruto continues unhindered, “she’s a really cool big sister; she helps me out when I’m stuck with something, and has been teaching me how to fight. And she works at the battalion, so we get to see each other lots!

“And there’s Onee-chan, who Gin-nee says is even stronger then her now! She goes around saving people from disasters and stuff; like a super hero! And even though we don’t get to spend much time together, she’s really fun and has lots of cool friends so it’s okay!”

“Haha; that sounds like a very good family to have, Naruto-kun.” The boy reminds him of when Konohamaru was younger, and how he would tell everyone who would give him the opportunity about how great his grandfather was. It really is a nostalgic feeling.

“Oh, right, Old Man. We’ll be using my old apartment as a base of operations –me and the friends I brought with me, that is. I already checked to make sure it was empty, so we won’t be bothering anybody.” Sarutobi thinks for a moment. Maybe he should tell Naruto of the person who had moved into the building in the intervening years. But, they two of them meeting could potentially work itself out on its own.

----

“Hayate-chan, you have a call~!” The young, brown-haired Lieutenant Commander looks up from her newspaper to her small aide.

“Ah, thank you Rein. I’ll take it now.” Putting down the paper, Hayate Yagami opens the communication channel to see a short, blonde boy with an odd expression on his face.

“Hey, Auntie Hayate.” Naruto says sheepishly, immediately making the young woman suspicious.

“Oh, Naruto-kun~! Have you gotten into trouble already?” She asks, smirking playfully at the boy, who chuckles slightly before rubbing the back of his head.

“Kinda-sorta.” He replies; it seems that Naruto really can’t do anything without first creating some kind of problem.

“Well then, you obviously want my help for this problem of yours, right?” She asks, to which Naruto nods.

“Yeah; I was wondering is Shamal-san was busy with anything…?” Hayate’s eyes narrow and she leans forward at her desk. Naruto recoils at the deadly serious expression on her face.

“What happened? Did somebody get hurt?” That would be the most likely reason to call for somebody like Shamal; especially if it was particularly bad.

“No! Um, well, me, Erio-san, and Caro-san are all okay… but one of my old classmates got hurt really badly, and apparently the doctors here can’t fix it. Caro-san had a look, but she says it would be better to get somebody more experienced to have a look.” Ah, so that’s what it was. Naruto-kun always was the type to get involved in other people’s business. A lot like his sister, now that she thinks about it.

“Alright, alright; I’ll talk to Shamal and see what we can do. Naruto-kun, do you have the data on the friend in question? That could help us until we work something out.” He nods, fiddling with something out of sight.

“I just sent it to you. Thanks for the help, Auntie Hayate.”

“No sweat kiddo. Now get going; you only touched down this morning, right? You should still have plenty of things to set-up.” Naruto mutters an affirmative, before switching off his end of the conversations. Hayate signs, bringing up the data she was just sent. She’s no medic, but skimming the document, she notices something about mana poisoning that brings up bad memories.

“Hayate-chan? Are you there?” Ah, what perfect timing; this will save on having to track her guardian knight down.

“Door’s open, Shamal!” The blonde woman enters the room, a lab coat over her uniform as if to indicate her position. The soft frown though means that she’s not here for a visit.

“Hayate-chan, there’s some information Vita-chan wanted me to pass along to you.”

“Well, there some data that I was asked by Naruto-kun to pass along to you, so it all worked out for the best!” Shamal blinks, before a small holo-screen pops open in front of her. Quickly, her eyes scan the file, her mouth growing into an increasingly thinner line.

“And you said you got this from Naruto-kun?” She asks finally, to which Hayate nods.

“Yep; apparently Caro wrote it up and did the scans, but Naruto-kun gave it to me. Apparently it’s happened to one of his old classmates.” The blonde rests her chin in her hand, eyes narrow.

“What in the world happened to those people,” she mutters, “for something like this…”

“What’s the matter, Shamal?”

“You remember what happened to Nanoha-chan?” Slowly, the brunette nods; that incident isn’t something any of them will forget any time soon.

“Well, imagine that kind of damage to the body,” Shamal snaps her fingers for emphasis, “all at once, instead of built-up over time. They seem to have sealed off their linker cores long ago with some kind of valve… if they were to open the valve, they’d be able to use powers on at the level of at least a Triple A or S rank mage. But, they’d be lucky to even move after something like that.”

Hayate could only whistle at that; pure explosive power that would put even the Ace of Aces to shame, but with the damage all being done at once? To a mage, something like that would be a scary possibility to be sure.

“Well, I’m sure if anybody can figure it out, it’s you. Now, what was it that Vita wanted me to see?” Shamal nods, the display on the holo-screen changing. Hayate reads over the data carefully, before turning back to the knight.

“Five Type-III Gadgets and ten Type-Is all went missing?” The blonde nods gravely.

“Apparently they were scheduled to be dismantled soon, but yesterday, their storage area was completely vacant. There are no indications of forced entry or exit, nor any records of a non-forced entry.”

“A real Houdini act, huh?” Looking at the bewildered expression on the other woman’s face, Hayate couldn’t help but chuckle.

“A “Magician” from Earth; he used to perform great illusions like making people disappear all the time.” Shamal nods, apparently happy with the explanation while Hayate turns back to the report.

“Well, not much we can do right now,” she says finally, “since we don’t have any leads, all we can do is wait and hope the higher-ups let us react fast enough. Just have Vita keep me updated.” She sighs heavily, before looking through her speed dial directory.

“Just when you think you’ve gotten out, they suck you back in.”

----

The sparks danced across his hand in the dim, underground room. The boy’s grin threatened to split his face as each small light flowed across his fingers, even as he felt it climb up the base of his neck. It made no difference; as long as there was a power it could grant him, the effects it had on his mental state were pointless. He was still surprised that the incessant giggling was coming from his own throat, even though he was obviously the only person who would even get close to this place.

It had taken him many long months to perfect this new technique. Ever since he had seen sensei use it on the bridge, he had fervently tried to replicate it. Unfortunately, even knowing all the hand-signs forwards and backwards off by heart had made no difference in his ability to reproduce the technique. So he had finally changed his angle; he replicated what he could, and then just built the rest of it from the ground up. He had taken to wearing bandages around his hands constantly, so his team members wouldn’t notice the burns, but now, it was all worth it.

The darkness was lit up as the technique came to full fruition, it covering his entire body and a maniacal laugh escaping his throat. But he didn’t care any more; his masterpiece was finally complete, proving that whatever that Cyclops could do, he could do just as well. The red eyes of the troubled boy took in the sight of the creation long into the night.

----

Two mages, one knight, and a small dragon sat around the wooden table in the small, disused apartment.

“Sorry for dragging you into this.” Naruto says, sighing. The other two look at each other.

“It’s no problem, Naruto-san,” Caro says cheerfully, Erio nodding his agreement, “we’re fine with helping you out. We don’t get to see much of other worlds anyways.”

“Bah… you kids are so formal,” the older one whines, resting his head on the table, “it’s no fun at all. I mean, I’ll ask you to stop using “-san” for me, because of how close in age we are…”

“Yes, Naruto-san.” The two 10 year olds chorus, causing Naruto to sigh again.

“…And you’ll answer positively, but won’t have listened to the request at all. Why did I have to be right?” The blond groans, before finally sitting up.

“So, what’s out status on getting everything here set up?” He asks.

“We have the equipment for basic functionality,” Erio says, gesturing to several boxes full of electronic equipment, “but it will still be a few days before we have everything.”

“So we just have to tough it out for a few days. And I have to wait for the Lieutenant Commander to get back to me on Hinata’s condition. Uhg, there’s not much we can do, huh?”

“Cheer up, Naruto-san,” Caro says, patting the older boy on the back, “I’m sure we’ll be able to find something to do in the meantime, such as catching up with your friends. And, it could always be worse, couldn’t it?” Suddenly the discussion is cut off by a sharp knock at the door. Naruto turns to the pink-haired summoner.

“You just had to go and say that, didn’t you?” He says in an annoyed tone. Slowly, Naruto gets up from his seat and makes his way to the door, Caro shooing Fried into a hiding position.

When Naruto opens the door, he has no idea who the other boy is. He wears a long brown robe (maybe, Naruto has never considered himself a fashion expert) with a white sash wrapped across his left shoulder and around his waist, and a large belt-like strap running across his right –possibly it’s there to keep that huge gourd in place. He has red hair, with the word character for “love” inscribed on his right temple, and flat looking teal eyes (that remind him of Rein, he notes idly) surrounded by thick black rings. Only two things keep the blond mage from attacking the other boy; the chocolate cake sitting on the glass tray the boy is holding, and the Konoha headband tied around the gourd’s strap.

“Hello,” the red-haired ninja finally says in a monotonous voice, “Sensei said it was appropriate to bring a house-warming gift for new neighbours, so I bought a cake. May I come in?”
Also note; trying to come up with a good idea as device for Naruto is a lot harder than it sounds. D:
MEKristian

Unread postby Nitramy » September 3rd, 2010, 7:47 pm

I suggest "Tobikage" as Naruto's Device, with "Zerokage" as the rival Device (you could switch it up).
Nitramy

Unread postby MEKristian » September 3rd, 2010, 7:51 pm

I meant design wise. Something like a name would be easier by comparison.
MEKristian

Unread postby Nitramy » September 3rd, 2010, 8:26 pm

I'm gonna have to take the easy road on this and recommend a weapon from the world of Naruto.

Maybe a kusari-gama that shoots mana shuriken in Shooting Mode or something.
Nitramy

Unread postby MEKristian » September 3rd, 2010, 11:58 pm

Wasn't exactly looking for suggestions there... Now how about commentary on what's actually been written..?

EDIT: And I've fixed up a bit of chapter 1, as per Flux's suggestions. Well, most of them; at least one was answered at the end of chapter 2~.
MEKristian

Unread postby MEKristian » December 24th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Blarg, that took far too long. But, Chapter 3 is FINALLY finished, just in time for Christmas.... to whoever's still going to bother to read this, I suppose. Hopefully Chapter 4 won't take so long, as it'll be more action-y. Anyways, enough stalling, here you go:
Tonight was the perfect night; the full moon illuminated the dark rooftops of Konoha, leaving a maze of light and darkness. That would make killing the target so much easier. Hell, the stupid Stone genin sat on the roof, bathed in the moonlight, oblivious to her own mortality. But that would soon change; he’d make sure of that.

“What a lovely night for a moonlight stroll.” He says amiably, smirking. But the girl doesn’t acknowledge his existence, which simply serves to further his irritation.

“It’s nothing personal,” he says with a more even tone, pulling back his sleeve to reveal the metallic gauntlet that serves as his weapon, “but by killing you I’ll be able to fight that Sand-using brat that much sooner.”

Yes, killing them was paramount; it was a disappointment that the Uchiha-boy Orochimaru-sama was so interested in wouldn’t be a viable target this time, but he could still go after the other member of that team who had tried to kill the Sound genin. They had been setup by their leader, to test the powers of the cursed seal the Uchiha had been granted, but they had almost been killed by the strange sand using monster instead. So he wanted his revenge. But his opponent didn’t even turn to face him, speaking softly to herself.

“…It is the name of an ancient fate: a maiden who governs death; the peace of the newly-born, their black hands protect.” The sound ninja charges, he doesn’t know or care what the stupid girl is babbling about, he just knows that tonight, she dies.

It ends in an instant. The boy wishes he could gasp, but it just wheezes out of his neck. The girl is standing in front of him, her arm held out to the side, holding a piece of the roof’s gutter covered in blood; his blood. He feels the world start to spin as oxygen and blood flow down his front. Steeling himself, the genin moves his arm, reaching to crush the girl’s brain with his pressure wave as one final act of defiance. But it won’t move, and looking down, he sees the arm twisted at an odd angle, completely broken. And Dosu Kinuta falls to the floor of the roof, his last thoughts of the abyssal eyes of his killer.

“My, my, she truly is a monster, hm?” The white haired man who had been watching from not too far away says, looking at his companion.

“Kirika is the pride of Iwa’s Ninja corps,” the bearded man says evenly, “the inheritor of an ancient bloodline. She will achieve her objective within this operation without fail.”

“Ah, yes, yes. But I can’t help but wonder, which is the greater monster; her, or yourself, Jinchuriki-san?” The Stone-nin grinds his teeth in disgust; he cannot see any reason to work with people like this, but he knows he must trust Tsuchikage-sama’s decisions.

“That is pointless, Sound Ninja,” he replies with venom, “as long as our combined goals are met, such a question need not be answered.” The other man laughs.

“Indeed, it was just me thinking out loud, of course. Now, do you wish to deal with our little eavesdropper, or shall I?”

----
Chapter 3: Sing for Me Farwell
----

“Well, that was productive.” Naruto says into the table, resting his face in his arms. The strange Ninja, apparently called Gaara, had stopped in for a few minutes, made so idle conversation about his life, and then left.

“I didn’t know people in your world had such sad lives Naruto-san…” Caro says, taking a seat across from him.

“Well it’s not like it was all sunshine and roses when I was living here,” Naruto mutters, “but that kid was hated enough by his village that they wanted to kill him. I was lucky to meet dad, Gin-nee and Onee-chan. But him…? I don’t want to think about it.”

“It’s the same with Erio-kun and me!” Caro chimes in, “If we hadn’t been saved by Fate-san back then, I don’t know what would have happened to us.”

“Oh, right; that famous Enforcer is your mother, or guardian, or something, right? And she was in Riot Force 6 too, wasn’t she? It must have been nice getting to work with your family.” Caro nods happily.

“Yes, that's right, although I see Fate-san as more of an Older Sister myself. Ah, speaking of which, you work with your father and Ginga-san, right?”

“Hmm,” Naruto says, looking at his pink-haired companion, “yeah, I do; Dad was against it at first, but I really wanted to do something. And since I'm not on the front-lines like Gin-nee or Onee-chan, he seems to grudgingly accept it.” He nods, as if to punctuate the point.

“Hmm, and since you seem to know Lieutenant Commander Yagami pretty well, I would have thought you'd have been part of Riot Force 6 too.” Caro asks, a finger on her chin.

“Ah-ha, well, like I said,” Naruto answers nervously, “Dad didn't want me too near the action, and I'm not as well-trained as you guys were; I'm only a Rank-C mage, after all, without any really special skills like your dragons.” Caro frowns, but seems to accept the answer; Naruto sighs, thankful she's not digging any further.

“Oh, right, where'd Erio get to? He kind of disappeared a while ago.”

“Ah; he's been working on something secret for a while now. I don't know what it is, but it seems Erio-kun's really focused on it!” Naruto sighs, looking at the moon out the window.

“Right, well, we should get some rest; that old man wanted us for some kind of training tomorrow.” But, really, he couldn't help but have a feeling that something really bad was going to happen, and soon.

----

The clearing is awash with the sound of fist meeting fist as the two green-clothed ninjas collide over and over. Their pace over the past few days would have been called “impossible” by certain grey-haired jounin and “suicidal” by most combat instructors worth their salt. But for Maito Gai and his young pupil Rock Lee, such things were merely par for the course.

“LEE!” The older one bellows, throwing his fists into a flurry at the boy, “Is that as fast as you can move!?” As if to punctuate his question, Gai’s speed increases.

“NO SIR!” Lee responds, matching each blow with the same ferocity.

“Is that as hard as you can hit!?” Each punch now carries the force of an explosive tag behind it. But Lee fearlessly matches each strike.

“NO SIR!” He bellows over the exchange. As their fists meet each other, the ground craters and trees splint from the impact.

“Answer me Lee!” Gai exclaims, continuing to meet each of his student’s blows with one of his own, “The power of YOUTH!”

“The Winds of the Kings!” Lee replies with equal ferocity.

“ZENSHIN!”

“KEIRETSU!”

“TEMPA KYOURAN!” both men say together, their fists connecting as the two finally stop, each striking a pose. If any researcher had happened across the scene, they would have wondered if the flaming background the pair had somehow created was a product of Genjutsu, some strange overflow of chakra from the two men, or simply “pure awesome”.

“Look!” Gai says, tears flowing freely from his eyes as he points towards the sun, slowly rising above the horizon, “The East is Burning Red!”

“GAI-SENSEI!” Lee wails, tears also flowing from his own eyes as he hugs the other man.

“LEE!” The jounin responds, returning the embrace. When Tenten finally finds them in the exact same position hours later, she wishes she hadn’t

----

Newly minted Enforcer Aide Teana Lanster stretches as she disembarks from the TSBA cruiser; the past few months since leaving Riot Force 6 had been a hell of ranking tests for her new position, followed by Shirley and Fate trying to integrate her into their established routine. Now that she finally had some time to relax and be by herself, she wasn’t going to waist such a godsend. Which is, of course, when the universe throws her a curveball in the form of a blue blur almost knocking her off her feet, only stopped by being caught with a precision that Teana really didn’t want to dwell on.

“TEA~!” comes the muffled cry of the indigo-haired girl hugging her, face buried just bellow Teana’s chin.

“Subaru,” she says in exasperation, “please get off of me.” The smaller girl complies, releasing her, but remains bouncing on her heels, a broad smile on her face. Teana knows that this surprise visit has ruined any chance of her time off being either relaxing or peaceful, but, she can’t really say she’s terribly upset at seeing her old partner.

“Tea~,” Subaru says in sing-song, “it’s been forever! How are things? Did you pass all those tests you had to do?” The older girl sighs, but can’t help the small smile on her face.

“Yes, I passed,” she says exasperatedly, “you’ve been sending me mail every single day these past few months, so it’s not like it’s new to you.” Subaru grins.

“Yeah, but I still wanted to hear it from you directly, since it’s been lonely these past few months.” The orange-haired girl can’t disagree with that sentiment; the two of them had been working together for so long that being apart like this took some getting used to… not that she’d ever admit it out loud, especially to Subaru.

“Tea’s wearing her hair differently.” The shorter girl suddenly interjects, giving her a strange look.

“Yeah,” Teana says, looking away, “I thought I should go with something more mature, suiting my position.” Wearing twintails in such an environment would just be tacky, right?

“Hmm,” Subaru says, taking on a thoughtful pose, “I think twintails suit Tea best; they represent your true character!” A deadly glare from the older girl and a swift chop to Subaru’s forehead follows.

“Idiot,” Teana deadpans, “what are you implying about me? Huh?” With a practised ease, she grabs both of Subaru’s cheeks and pulls.

“I’m sowwey!” Subaru says, rubbing her sore mouth as Teana lets go. “But even if Tea has changed her hair style, she’s still just as beautiful!”

“I-Idiot!” The Enforcer Aide says, looking away even as she feels her face turn red; “Don’t say such embarrassing things so easily!” Subaru just gives her a cat-like smile.

“S-So,” Teana finally says, trying to regain her composure, “What did you come all the way down here for anyways? Don’t you have training for Disaster Prevention?” The younger girl grins sheepishly, rubbing the back of her head.

“Well, because of my credentials,” she says, “I was given a free pass on some of the training. So I was thinking we could spend our vacation time together… though I also wanted to check on Naruto, since this is his first time off world…”

“And you wanted me to come with you.” Teana states point-blank, causing Subaru to fidget slightly.

“Well, since we haven’t seen each other in a while,” she says quietly, “I was thinking we could spend some time together… and I feel bad that I couldn’t go with Naruto because of work.” Ah, damn, there’s that rare melancholic look; Teana hates that look.

“Can’t Ginga-san go with you; she’s also his sister right?” But Subaru shakes her head.

“Gin-nee’s still taking care of the Numbers; Nove and Wendi are going to be released soon, so she and dad are trying to get things ready at home for them.”

“Well, Erio and Caro are with him, right? They should be fine.” But the other girl just remains sullenly looking at the floor, causing Teana to sigh.

“Alright, alright, I’ll come; just stop making that face. Geez…” The other girl immediately brightens with an almost visible gleam in her eyes.

“Yay~! Tea’s coming with me~!” She has to admit, Subaru’s enthusiasm is catchy; maybe this won’t be as bad as she thinks.

----

The sun was warm; unlike the florescent lights of a dreary hospital room, Hinata muses. It, and the fact that she can actually get up and actually move again makes the girl feel bursting with energy. And the fact that she's to train under one of the legendary Sannin doesn't help either. With Naruto-kun too! The Hyuuga girl figures that there's absolutely nothing that could ruin today for her. Hinata's mind begins wander, imagining the strength of her hero; surely it will be completely and utterly unphathomable. And he did say something about magic, didn't he? And the pink-haired young girl who was with him yesterday had those strange talking gloves, right? Maybe Naruto-kun would have some kind of super large sword that could cut down horses, or maybe a more rudimentary kind of dagger or scimitar that could shoot something similar to the Kaiten at people!

So, it's with a light head that Hinata finally arrives at the designated clearing. Jiriaya-sensei is already there, scribbling something down on a scroll with the look of a man transcribing the words of a god. And, gathered together in a corner, were Naruto-kun and his two comrades; the pink haired girl quietly playing with her pet, the red haired boy silently going over something on one of those strange screens, occasionally glancing at the pink-haired girl, and Naruto-kun.... casually dozing against a tree. This didn't seem to be off to a good start.

“Ah, you're here, Hinata,” The toad sage says, barely looking up from his manuscript, “we can begin then. Oi, brat, wake up!” The blond snaps up, grumbling something about old men.

“Hinata, I want you and Naruto to spar; I need to get a good indication of your skills before I can really begin instructing you. But, due to your condition I don't want either of you to use anything aside from Taijutsu and Physical ability, understand?”

“This is a really bad idea...” Naruto mutters, taking a very simple stance across from Hinata. The Hyuuga girl traces the boy's form, trying to spot any kind of tell about what he's planning; but neither his muscles nor stance give away an indication of the tension one would most commonly find. Perhaps Naruto-kun is so much stronger than her that he can hide where his attacks will come from; or maybe so amazing that he's not even taking her seriously to begin with!

“Begin!” And with that thought, Hinata springs forward, thrusting her hand at the space where Naruto's abdomen can be seen. She places all her strength and speed into the attack, only deftly expecting to strike and bracing for the incoming counterattack. Which is why it takes her a second to recognize that her palm has impacted upon something soft, and to register the screaming and thunderous crack of wood being split in half at high velocity. When she finally looks up, she sees the blond sitting,dazed in front of a large tree, a severed stump between them and a large crater in the tree behind him.

“I'm okay...” Naruto says, dazed, as his two comrades help him to his feet.

“Ah-! I-I'm sorry, Naruto-kun...” Hinata asks shakily.

“Don't worry; Gin-nee's hit me harder when she was teaching me.” He says, shaking his head, “But that was really amazing, Hinata! I've never seen anybody do that!”

“But, didn't you just say your sister had struck you worse, Naruto-kun...? The girl asks, causing the three mages to exchange a look.

“Ah, well, my sisters aren't exactly normal, so you being able to do that really is impressive!” Hinata feels her face warm at the praise, looking away from Naruto.

“So brat, any idea on how we can continue this without you up and dying on us...?” Jiriaya asks, giving the boy a skeptical look. Naruto closes his eyes, resting his chin on his hand.

“Hmm. Well, maybe I should use magic? I'm better with that than I am with Strike Arts...”He muses, looking to the other two for their thoughts.

“Usually, Nanoha-san would give us the impossible task of landing a blow on her while we were all fighting.” The girl shakily replies, to which the red-head nods.

“Caro's right; even when it was all four of us Forwards against her, we almost never succeeded.”

“And there you have it,” Naruto says, smiling, “are you okay with this plan, Hinata?” The girl nods once, taking her stance again. The blond chuckles, holding out his hand as a crude orange-red sword of energy forms in it.

“Ready, Hinata?” She feels her mouth form into a small smile.

“Yes.”

----

Contrary to popular belief, plotting to overthrow one of the, if not the, largest Hidden Village with a terribly small (albeit highly trained) force of shinobi was not an easy task. Plans, counter-plans, the allocation of resources –human, summon, and material, of course- and facilitating all political arrangements. And, of course, this is on top of Orochimaru’s regular work-load, but certainly worth every drop of sweat it drew out of him.

“You.” A hollow, metallic voice rings out amidst the darkness of Hidden Sound’s hallways; the Snake Sannin turns, finding the large cloaked figure standing at the far end, a single, solid-yellow eye glancing at him emotionlessly.

“Ah, to what do I owe the honour of my esteemed business partner’s presence?” He asks, lips curling into a smirk.

“The gadgets have been fully prepared, on schedule. And I have taken care of the preparations for my end of our arrangement.” The cloaked form responds as if reading off a grocery list.

“While certainly excellent news,” Orochimaru replies, “it hardly warrants you to come tell me yourself; certainly you could have found someone else to inform me of such.”

“I have decided to personally involve myself in your little campaign,” is the droning reply, “I wish to test the measure of these… insects, before I and my siblings bring our Master to this world.” Ah-ha, the ever elusive “master”; His strange, cloaked acquaintance had appeared one day, claiming to represent the interests of a mysterious “Master”, and had offered a partnership between the two groups. Oh, the interesting things the stranger had taught him of; the Time-Space Administration Bureau, the highly advanced genetic cloning technique called Project Fate, the modified Combat Cyborgs, and especially of those calling themselves Riot Force 6. And all Orochimaru had to provide in the arrangement was a few measly resources!

“I shall look forward that meeting,” the Sanin says, returning to take care of more preparations, “and of course your own contributions to the upcoming festival!” So may things to do in preparation, and the man named Orochimaru loved every second of it.

----

The group of four sit down at the Ichiraku Ramen bar in companionable silence that has been brought about by the eldest two's continual sparing over the past day and a half. Naruto had managed to win the majority, but it was by a slim margin and he always claim his victories to be freak accidents. But Hinata's never really believed those claims; this “magic” Naruto-kun uses is drastically different than Chakra constructs, and as such, she constantly finds herself outmanoeuvred by the boy's exceptional use of it. And the fact that being hit squarely by magic seems to only leave her incapacitated without further physical damage is somewhat of a nice bonus too.

“So, Hinata, what do you want?” Naruto says, suddenly breaking her out of her reprieve. The Hyuuga girl blinks, quickly scanning the menu.

“Just regular ramen will be fine, Naruto-kun.” She says with a small smile.

“For us, too.” Erio pipes in, to which Caro nods.

“Man,” Naruto sighs dramatically, “you guys are such squares.” The two others chuckle slightly, while Hinata simply smiles.

“So, um...” Hinata starts, before petering out.

“I'm Erio,” the boy says easily, “and she's Caro.” Hinata looks away, mumbling an apology.

“Yes, Erio-san, Caro-san; I wanted to ask about how you met Naruto-kun.” The three exchange a look, before chuckling between each other.

“W-well, I first met them a few months ago,” Naruto says, rubbing the back of his head uneasily, “my sister was in the hospital, so I decided to visit her. Erio and Caro were working in the same unit as her at the time, so we met then.” The Hyuuga girl blinks at the information.

“Your sister was hospitalized...?” Naruto's face contorts as he looks away.

“Yeah; she was beaten up by some really mean people who kidnapped Gin-nee... but in the end, everything worked out, so there's no reason to hold a grudge!” Honestly, she didn't expect such an answer; if it had been her, she wasn't sure she could be so forgiving about something like that.

“You guys didn't have to drag me out of the hallway though!” Naruto suddenly says darkly, glaring at Erio and Caro.

“Subaru-san and Teana-san were having a very important, private, discussion!” Caro squeaks, her cheeks visibly tinted red to Hinata's eyes.

“T-That's right,” Erio stammers out, “it would have been rude to interrupt something like that!” Naruto seems to mutter under his breath, and Hinata can't help but giggle slightly at the sight. She's glad that Naruto-kun has made such good friends.

----

The halls of the Konoha's Hokage tower echo with the steps of the small man and his entourage; he mentally scoffs at the fact that he's only here as the Hokage's “guest”. But, with enough time, he'll walk these halls as conqueror. And, there, waiting for him, is his trump card in this game; the Four-Tails Jinchuriki that he had granted the position of Jounin-sensei. Swiftly, the man known as the Third Tsuchikage shoos his guard.

“Father...” The jinchuriki starts, only to be silenced by a wave of the smaller man's hand.

“Roshi; I have told you over and over not to address me by such a title!” He snaps sharply, causing Roshi to recoil slightly; a continual song-and-dance between the two.

“Now, tell me, what is the status of our genin team?” Asking too much about their true objectives in such a place would be suicide, after all. Roshi grunts a little, looking away from the Tsuchikage.

“They are doing well enough,” he says gruffly, “Kirika and Sakuya have been cleared to the third exam. Roshiaki, however, was only capable of a draw.” The Tsuchikage scoffs at the response.

“That boy always was a bit useless; it doesn't make a difference as long as the others are capable.” He waits for some form of rebuttal from the other man, but Roshi remains quiet until they finally reach the meeting room. Swinging the door open, The Tsuchikage finds that both the Hokage and Kazekage have been waiting for his arrival.

“I'm glad you could make it, Tsuchikage,” Sarutobi begins without preamble, smiling at his once nemesis with an outstreach hand, “we were beginning to wonder what was keeping you.” The small man snorts, taking the other's hand.

“It was just some business I had to discuss with my supervising Jounin, Sarutobi. We have excellent expectations of our candidates, after all.”

“As do we, Onoki,” The Hokage says, chuckling, “and I suppose that in the end, the best ninja will win.” Oh, how right the fool was. But through the entire exchance, The Tsuchikage couldn't help but notice how the Kazekage kept both his silence and his distance. Oh well, the man was known to be paranoid; maybe such a public function was beginning to ware on his nerves. Either way, it would all be over soon enough.

----

“Come on, come on~! If we don't hurry we're gonna be late, Tea~!”

“Alright, alright, I'm coming... maybe you should slow down, Subaru.” The Jounin perched on top of a roof, lazily reading his porn, watches the two strange girls out the corner of his eye. Neither of the pair seem to “fit in”, and yet they don't set off his impressively honed instinct they way many others like them would. The girl with orange hair done up in twintails (a very nice choice, reflecting her harsh exterior and promise of a gooey interior, he muses) is the one who outwardly looks the most out-of-place; a white shirt with a image of a skull stamped on it, a red skirt, black pants (with a strategically placed rip on the right knee, possibly hinting at the rebellious attitude?) and a belt that hung loosely around her waist. The Jounin wonders exactly how far away this girl comes from to have such a fashion sense.

By contrast, the other girl's outfit vaguely makes him think of both the Inazuka boy's jacket, and the kind of skirt he could probably see Sakura wearing in another year or two; all in a blue of similar shade to her hair. But the way she carried herself; a boundless energy that made him think of his old Sensei's son from years ago. But, as he was, technically, off duty, it hardly seemed like something to needlessly worry himself over.

But, the nagging voice of his former comrades in the back of his head eventually win out. And, with a great sigh, Hatake Kakashi begins tailing the two strange girls as they ask about the Chunin exams. He was certainly hoping that the bad feeling he'd been having lately wasn't related to them.

----

The two combatants circle each other as the crowd in the stadium cheers and the proctor -some strange Jounin with a toothpick- goes over the rules of the match. But neither side acknowledges the chatter, both merely content at glaring one another down. They haven't spoken for a month now, each side preparing for this inevitable match-up. Of course, the fact that the other is their first opponent and not their last is a dark stroke of luck surrounding the Sound-Nin's disappearance. Neither side cares, content with this opening match that would inevitably place everything on the line.

“You knew this would happen.” The elder of the two states simply. His opponent slowly nods.

“Of course; I had promised to defeat you for what you did in the preliminary match-ups. Perhaps it is “destiny” that we are to be matched against one another so early.”The elder's face twists into a dark snarl; of course that would would come up, for them it is the crux of their relationship. He did not, however, expect his opponent to taunt him with it.

“Of course it's destiny,” he manages out, swallowing his rage, “just as it is destiny for you to be unable to surpass me. I will give you the same warning as I gave her; bow out now, or I shall not be held responsible for the state you find yourself in.” The words bring a chill that his pride won't let him admit to; both of them now now exactly how far he will go in that respect. But the other boy is completely unconcerned, barely shifting his weight, placing his hand into the beckoning gesture of his trademark stance.

“I am prepared for such,” he says, his mouth curved into a light smile, “however, I have made a promise that I cannot break.”

“Round One,” The Proctor shouts, snapping the two out of their reprieve, “Neji Hyuuga vs. Rock Lee!”

“Such heroic nonsense...” Neji mutters, activating his byakugan and taking his own stance.

“Neji!” Lee shouts, “I am the one who is going to defeat you! Here! Today!”

“BEGIN!”
So, there you go, next chapter begins the Third Exam proper. Also, no idea how many spaces-between-quotation-marks I messed up in there. Open Office messed me up in that department (or maybe it's the laptop?) Anyways, feel free to point out mistakes or your thoughts on the story thus far.
MEKristian

Unread postby gamebrain89 » December 26th, 2010, 5:43 pm

I've never even heard of Nanoha, and reading the wikipedia page weirds me out, but I like what you have written so far. Keep it going!
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby Nitramy » December 26th, 2010, 6:58 pm

The easiest way to imagine the Nanoha series is that it starts off as a Magical Girl anime and ends up as a Space Opera.

And it has cute girls, too.

Also:

:yuush: SHISHOUUUUUUU :yuush:

Last edited by Nitramy on December 26th, 2010, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nitramy

Unread postby gamebrain89 » December 26th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Just from what I read in the chapters here makes me a bit interested. I'll have to do some googling later and see if I can't track down a decent place to start into the series without being totally confused, if thats even possible
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby Chuckg » December 26th, 2010, 10:11 pm

The easiest way to imagine the Nanoha series is that it starts off as a Magical Girl anime and ends up as a Space Opera.
Actually, it ends up being Super Robot anime... it's just, the characters don't actually need the Super Robots, they're that powerful on their own. :)
Chuckg

Unread postby ewuvi » December 28th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Looking good, tense issues aside. I love love love the bit where Hinata punches Naruto into a tree. Not that I like abuse, but because I like that Naruto isn't overly supered up by training in a different world.

Also, this bit:
When Tenten finally finds them in the exact same position hours later, she wishes she hadn’t.
Makes me giggle every single time I read it.
ewuvi

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop