My first try at fanfiction

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

My first try at fanfiction

Unread postby Comosicus » August 19th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been reading fanfiction for a few years already and I got a few plot bunnies of my own that I'm nurturing from time to time to prevent them from dieing completely.

Today I made the first step and started feeding one of the bunnies. The result is the prologue for my first fanfiction. It's not very long (about 700 words so far) but I put it together at work today so please bear with me. Amazing what two stressing projects can do for one's creativity.

This particular bunny was summoned by the now abandoned first version of The Book of Dobby: Per Arcana ad Astra by Doghead13 and further nurtured by several other stories like RuneMaster and Can't Have It Both Ways, a bit of Mass Effect and W40K.

The setting will be summer after 4th year, with no Horcuxes. I might consider the diary the only one made, if really necessary, at the very least to allow an explanation for why old Voldie didn't kick the bucket the first time. Fudge and Co. pull all the strings and favors and manage to expel Harry from Hogwarts and snap his wand.

I'm doing this mostly as an exercise in writing so any helpful suggestions are welcome.
Spoiler: show
For young Harry Potter, the Boy-who-Lived and Tri-Wizard Champion, this was the worst summer in his short life.

It started with the Third Task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament, the fabled competition between the three most important schools of magic in Europe. Forced to compete against his will, Harry had managed to brave a dragon and merfolk in the first two tasks and started the last event in the first place. After navigating the maze filled with magical traps and the most scary creatures that Hagrid managed to find, he reached the center and together with his fellow champion, Cedric Diggory, grasped the handle of the trophy.

From here on things spiraled out of control at neck breaking speeds. The cup proved to be a hidden portkey that spirited them to an abandoned graveyard. Cedric was killed by the traitorous rat animagus, Peter Pettigrew, and Harry himself was used in a dark necromantic ritual that created a new body for the dark lord Voldemort, the killer of his parents. Thankfully their wands did not work properly one against the other - their brother cores, feathers of Fawkes, created a link between them, isolating the two wizards from the rest of the Death Eaters who answered their master’s call. Harry managed to win the duel of wills, forcing the connection to turn upon Voldemort, liberating the ghostly shadows of the mad man’s victims, among them Cedric and his own parents. Covered by the spectral apparitions, he managed to escape with Cedric’s body by summoning the cup who delivered them back to Hogwarts.

After the Minister of Magic blatantly refused to acknowledge Voldemort’s return, Harry was once again returned to the “loving” care of his relatives. And once again he did not receive mail from his friends, although Dobby had nothing to do with it this time. Most probably the Headmaster ordered them not to contact him, to leave him “grieve in peace” or some other bullshit like that. Here he was attacked by two Dementors. Dementors, for Merlin’s sake! In Surrey! Sure, he chased them away with his Patronus - it was nothing compared with the horde he fought the previous year to save Sirius and himself. But then a Ministry letter arrived, announcing that he has been charged with performing underage magic in front of his muggle cousin.

It was during the hearing at the Ministry that disaster struck. First he found out that time has been changed and his notification has been “mysteriously” misplaced. Only the fact that they started earlier allowed him and Mr. Weasley to reach Courtroom 10 at the very last moment. There they discovered that the normal underage committee of 3 persons has been replaced by the entire Wizengamot body. It was not an underage magic hearing anymore, but a full blown criminal trial, like the ones he read in the History of Magic books. Then they started tearing into him. Never mind the fact that he acted in self defense. Never mind the fact that his cousin already knew about the magical world. Not even Dumbledore’s intervention, the testimony of Mrs. Figg or the objections of Amelia Bones, the head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, could sway them. Harry had seen the smug smirks on the faces of Lucius Malfoy and Dolores Umbridge, a toad-like woman that belittled him with every occasion. They were after his blood and they were not pulling any punches. Most likely Malfoy had spread his influence and money to see his lord’s enemy down on his knees and Fudge, in his desperation to deny Voldemort’s return, did his best to knock Harry down and silence him. The young wizard was no longer surprised when they decided to expel him from Hogwarts and his wand was snapped.

Then Dumbledore left without sparing a single look for him and a dejected Harry was taken back by Mr. Weasley to 12 Grimauld Place, the ancestral home of the Black family and the current headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix. Here Harry avoided talking to everyone else and asked Sirius for a room of his own, instead of sharing one with Ron. He then proceeded directly to his new room, locked himself inside and threw himself on the old bed, thinking about his situation.

The worst summer in his short life indeed.
Last edited by Comosicus on August 31st, 2010, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comosicus

Re: My first try at fanfiction

Unread postby unknown21913 » August 26th, 2010, 10:59 pm

I'm just a beginning writer myself and I'm not very familiar with Harry Potter, but I guess I'll offer my opinion and you can feel free to ignore it. I realize this is just the prologue, but it feels rushed. Maybe a lot of this is canon I should know? If so, just ignore my post.

I like the ideas, but the writing feels very dense. It feels almost like reading a cliff notes version of a story. I wish I could read more of the details - more of the actual story of what the prologue is describing.
unknown21913

Unread postby Comosicus » August 28th, 2010, 3:39 am

Thanks for your opinion. I never intended this prologue to be very detailed. I just wanted to present the point of divergence - namely the fact that Harry had been expelled despite the evidence Dumbledore presented (the testimony of Mrs. Figg), mainly due to the influence that Malfoy Sr. spread among the Wizengamot members.

I wanted to present it as a short trip down the memory lane, without having to use flashbacks or dialogue. It was also written at work, between tasks, so it could not be too developed. And I realized that I'd betterwork something, then edit it later that wait till everything is polished to perfection - I won't finish it like that ever.

Anyway, I got already some revisions for that part and started the first "true" chapter. Hope to have something more to show soon.
Comosicus

Unread postby Comosicus » August 31st, 2010, 1:07 am

Hi everyone,

I've updated the first part above with some minor changes. Also here's what I've written so far on the first chapter:
Spoiler: show
It was dark already when a knock on the door brought Harry out of his brooding. He glared at the offending sound, wishing that the intruder would leave him alone. He was not in the mood to have anyone pitying him. Not Hermione, not Ron and most definitely not Mrs. Weasley. In his book, a door locked from the inside meant that the someone wanted privacy. Why could they not take the hint and just let him be?

The knocking came again, followed after a small break by the sound of the lock turning off. The old door creaked open and the shaggy mane of Sirius Black poked into the room.

“Go away, Sirius,” Harry growled.

“Sorry, kiddo, can’t do that. If I let you scowl anymore, you’ll start turning into a mini-Snivellus. And one greasy git is already more than the world can suffer. It is my sworn duty as a godfather and a Marauder to save you from this fate worst than death.”

“I bet the bastard is having the time of his life,” grouched Harry.

“Yeah, I’ve never seen a larger smirk on his ugly mug ever before. It took all my will power to not hex him or punch him during the Order meeting. I just did not want to make a scene in front of everyone. But I swear that I’ll prank his ass to hell the first time I have the opportunity.”

“What’s this ‘Order’ I keep hearing about? First Mr. Weasley, then Mad-Eye Moody, now you. I bet even Ron and Hermione or the twins know about it. Only I am not told anything. I’m sick of it, Sirius. I feel like a bloody mushroom - kept in the dark and fed bullshit. Why the hell am I kept out of the loop? I did not receive a single letter all summer so far. Not one bloody letter. I had to steal the newspaper from the trash bin and creep below the Dursleys’ window to hear the news on telly. Who was in the thick of things each and every time the shit hit the fan? Me, that’s who. I had to face Voldemort in the Forbidden Forest and protect the Stone from him in the first year. I killed the bloody basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets in the second year. I had to chase away a horde of Dementors when you escaped in the third year. I have been entered in the bloody Tournament last year. I had to face a dragon, merfolk at the bottom of the lake and Voldemort himself in the graveyard. And I had to see Cedric die before my eyes. Just because I was too bloody noble to take the Cup myself and wanted to have a shared victory for Hogwards. Nobody tells me anything, nobody listens to me and I have to muddle my way by the seat of my pants each and every bloody time.”

By the time Harry mentioned Cedric’s name, tears were falling freely on his cheeks. The final part came out muffled, as Sirius enveloped him in a bone-crushing hug. Still holding the sobbing teen in his arms, he drew his wand, locked the door again and threw a couple of privacy charms. Sirius knew how much Harry valued his privacy and didn’t want anyone else to enter the room while he was in such a vulnerable state.

“It’s OK, pup, let it go,” whispered Sirus. “I’m here now and I’m not gonna leave you again.”

“What is going to happen from now on, Sirius? Hogwarts was the only home I ever knew. I’ve had good times and bad times there, but I felt that I fit there. Now I can’t go there anymore. And I don’t want to return to Privet Drive ever again. And they snapped my wand. That wand was the only reason I escaped alive from that graveyard. It had the same core as Voldemort’s - a tail feather from Fawkes. and caused something that Dumbledore called “Priori Incantatem” or something like that. Our spells linked and I was able to force the connection into Voldemort’s wand. Echoes started to appear, shadows of those killed by that wand. Cedric came first. Then one old man that I did not know. Then ... Then came Mom and Dad. They distracted him enough for me to grab Cedric’s body, summon the Cup and escape. And now my wand is gone too. The only chance I had in front of Voldemort and it’s gone. I’ve seen their faces, Sirius, when they snapped it. Fudge, Malfoy, Umbridge ... There was glee in their eyes. Especially Malfoy’s. I bet that he knew what that meant for his master. If they ever find me again, I’ll be a sitting duck in front of them. I have no way to defend myself.”

“We’ll find a solution, pup. Me and Moony will find a way to help you. I promise you that, on Marauder honor. You’ll stay here tonight, but tomorrow Dumbledore wants you to return to the Dursleys for the next two weeks. Then you’ll come back here.”

“WHAT? He’s got to be joking. Why must I return there? That’s where I was attacked in the first place. And now I don’t even have a wand to defend myself. What if the Dementors come again?”

“Hold your hippogriffs, pup. I don’t want you to go either. I, Moony and Molly shouted at Dumbledore till we turned blue. He claims there are powerful blood wards around your house and that you must stay there two more weeks for the wards and the protection that Lily left you to recharge for the next year.”

“BLOOD wards? Voldemort took MY blood to fashion his new body - ‘blood of the enemy forcibly taken’ and all that crap. He was able to touch me in the graveyard, without burning himself, like it happened to Quirrell. He might be able to waltz through the wards now, as far as I know.” Harry felt a shudder passing through his body. “Although Voldemort waltzing is quite a scary thought.”

“There will be two Order members outside at all times, Harry. And neither Dung or Snivellus will be among them. Also I insisted that you’ll be given an emergency portkey to bring you here in case of danger. We won’t let you get hurt. Dumbledore promised that he’ll take every precaution to keep you safe.”

“I’m not sure I can trust Professor Dumbledore anymore, Sirius.” Harry’s voice was laced with bitterness. “I realized a couple of things today and I don’t like them at all. It all started to fall together when I found out that Mrs. Figg knew about the magical world. It meant that she was in the neighbourhood to keep an eye on me. Mrs’ Figg used to babysit me all the time, whenever the Dursleys left home. That means that the Headmaster knew everything about my life with the Dursleys. Hell, my first Hogwarts letter was addressed to ‘The cupboard under the stairs’. He also left you to rot for thirteen years in Azkaban. He’s the bloody Supreme Mugwump. It’s his job to make sure justice is served. All the other Death Eaters received a trial - I’ve seen the pensieve memory of Karkaroff’s trial. Yet he did nothing. The same happened when they captured you at Hogwarts. Instead he relied on two students to mess with time and do the job in his place. I don’t even want to start on all the times he messed up last year.”

For a moment there was silence between them. Too many bitter memories have been stirred by this discussion. Yet Sirius knew that wallowing in self pity and chasing “what-if” scenarios will lead them nowhere. His godson needed him at his best now.

“You’re making some good points, pup. I asked myself some of these questions at times.” Sirius was unusually somber at this moment. “It was at his orders that you were delivered to the Dursleys. Hagrid said so when I met you two at Godric’s Hollow. I tried to reason with him, to convince him to let me have you, but you know that he puts Dumbledore’s orders above anything else. So I gave in to my anger and grief and went after the traitorous rat. And we both know how well that ended. But the past is gone and there’s nothing we can do about it.”

Harry took a moment to recollect his thoughts. Sirius was right. He needed to pull his act together. He had never given up before and he was not going to start now.

“You’re right, Sirius. Together we’ll find a way out of this. And thanks for listening to my ravings. I feel a lot better now, like a great weight has been lifted off my chest.”

“It’s my pleasure and my duty as a godfather, pup. Prongs would kick my ass all over the afterlife if I let you turn into Moaning Myrtle.”
Comosicus

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop