Hidden Village Names

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Hidden Village Names

Unread postby Nasdaq » September 8th, 2010, 5:07 am

I wasn't entirely sure where to put this, but I'll just keep it short. I intend to create some new Hidden Villages in a story I'm writing, but am stuck on a few names. I'm torn between very straight names, or more fanciful ones that don't just follow the land they're from to the letter, ala Land of Fire having a Village Hidden in the Leaves.

Land of Rivers:
Derutagakure no Sato (Village Hidden in the Delta)
Yachigakure no Sato (Village Hidden in the Marshland)
Ashigakure no Sato or Yoshigakure no Sato (Village Hidden in the Reeds or Bulrushes, Ashi could also be spelled with a different kanji, and be read Village Hidden in Evil, but I haven't actually decided if the village is going to be a bad one or not.)

Land of Mountains (one of the unnamed nations between the Land of Wind and Land of Earth, I think it was mentioned in some filler, just placing it somewhere for my own purposes):
Renzangakure no Sato (Village Hidden in the Mountain Range)
Rankigakure no Sato (Village Hidden in the Mountain Air or Mountain Mist)
Yamagakure no Sato (Village Hidden in the Mountains)

Also have the land of Valleys, but I'm just making that Tanimagakure no Sato and saving myself more hassle. Also tempted to rename Orochimaru's village to Kuukuugakure no Sato (Village Hidden in the Void), given I'm minimizing some of the 'sound' things in this, Orochimaru being more obsessed with kekkei genkai and various elemental manipulations. And, of course, it's also a tongue-in-cheek joke about laughing.

Thoughts?
"Sasuke was not really happy with his team. The shy Hyuuga, and the laziest person he'd ever known where not people he'd have picked. And he never expected how a blue-eyed, blond-haired, and newly minted jounin would transform them all into a true team." - Naruto-sensei, currently in Arc 2: The Chuunin Exams
Nasdaq

AOL: VindicatedHunter

Re: Hidden Village Names

Unread postby Phht » September 8th, 2010, 6:11 am

To be honest, Kishi is kinda hit and miss on this.
We have the Big Five - Leaf (Fire), Sand (Wind), Rock (Earth), Mist (Water), Cloud (Lightning).
Then we have the minors - Waterfall (Waterfall), Grass (Grass), Rain (Rain).
And we have the ones that don't fit - Sound (Rice Field), Whirling Tides (Whirlpool) (Uzushiogakure no Sato vs Uzu no Kuni).
Finally, we have the one that makes no sense - Hot Springs (???).

Filler-wise, we have Mountain Country (location unknown, RP sticks it at the far western end of the Ele Countries), that used to have Heat Haze (Kagerou no Sato) but the village was wiped out. In the same filler arc we have Valley Country with Valley (Tanigakure no Sato - Hidden Valley, heh), but current status of it is unknown.

So while I'd said that minor villages match their country name, we have 2-3 canon examples where they don't or don't entire match. Of course, "Sound" didn't seem to last a decade (and more than likely only half that, given the comment from Kabuto about Oto being a new-ish village with not much known at the Chunin Exam), so long life for a non-great village may involve partially or fully matching the country name. ;)

--

For River Country, maybe "Kakougakure no Sato" (Hidden Estuary) instead of Derutagakure no Sato? If not Kawagakure no Sato (Hidden River).

Mountain Country, you could use the filler arc village name. Though I kinda like Yamagakure no Sato. In a country named after mountains, where the heck would you even begin to look for it? ;)

You could always rename Oto to "Tagakure no Sato" after the country it's in. OTOH, if he sticks bases everywhere, your idea would probably work better.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Nasdaq » September 8th, 2010, 6:28 am

See, now I'm torn between Estuary and Reeds, mostly. Far as I know, the Waterfall, Grass, and Rain places actually never have gotten country names. We just tend to call them that for lack of better names.

Hidden Valley is a go, known for their creamy salad toppings! But yeah, seems like a good one. Also, if I remember, Heat Haze was just a village, not a HIDDEN Village. This would be a true blue Ninja Town. Basically dealing with a bunch of colonial break-offs; 3rd Shinobi War goes longer, lots of refugees, missing-nin, and so on tend to group up and get similar ideals, this leads to the birth of some new villages. Less like Orochimaru's personal village in the fact that they are literally trying to be shinobi villages, rather then his personal toy. Though Orochimaru is working with Danzou in this, and both of them are in Akatsuki, so yeah, part of why I'm also renaming it. The Seven Chakras are the only system I know that has Sound as an element. Tenkuugakure no Sato is another option for Orochimaru's place, meaning Hidden Ether. It's actually equivalent to Sound in that system. Other two are Light/Dark and Thought/Space.

And yeah, Yamagakure makes sense, at least.
"Sasuke was not really happy with his team. The shy Hyuuga, and the laziest person he'd ever known where not people he'd have picked. And he never expected how a blue-eyed, blond-haired, and newly minted jounin would transform them all into a true team." - Naruto-sensei, currently in Arc 2: The Chuunin Exams
Nasdaq

Unread postby spudman » September 10th, 2010, 6:25 am

Reeds...Ashigakure? Ashi does also mean evil, though (at least according to the handy online translator).

Off-topic, I noticed your fanfiction profile noted Pack Light might die a slow death. Here's hoping you find new inspiration for that when you get back. Anyway, good luck in Basic.
spudman

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » September 10th, 2010, 6:53 pm

I actually used that one in a fic I was trying to write a while back. The leader was known as the Sawakage (Swamp Shadow).
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Nasdaq » September 11th, 2010, 5:20 am

Actually seems quite nice, though I was planning on using River Shadow, if they had a Kage at all, but certainly something to tuck away.

As per Pack Light, I'm just sort of losing the drive as I have other ideas, and a LOT of my ideas got gobbled up in Pack Light, I feel it's moderately bloated. I'm working on it now, likely going to rewrite the first few chapters, and then decide if I want to just abandon it. But given that I have an extremely long term plan for it it likely won't, but we'll see.
Nasdaq

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop