A little help please?

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

A little help please?

Unread postby gman391 » September 13th, 2010, 8:39 pm

While it struggling to write the next chapter in one of my fics it has come to my attention that this chapter needs romance.

Problem is that I can't write convincing romance to save my life.

Could any of you guys give me some tips on how to do so please?

Thanks.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Re: A little help please?

Unread postby Nitramy » September 13th, 2010, 9:29 pm

When it comes to writing romance, less is more.

Romance is best done in a very low key - where even the smallest of gestures can keep someone going even though by all rights he should be down.

One last thing: don't try to shoe-horn your romantic scenes into the fic...

...if you want to see how a well-done romance works, try G-Gundam or Gundam X...

...that's all the help I can give at the moment.
slowly but surely / the moon / quietly goes to the stars
my fanfiction.net profile
Nitramy

AOL: linuxblacksarena

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » September 14th, 2010, 3:43 am

In agreement with Nitramy, I definitely feel that the most compelling romances are the ones where the little things mean the most. In all the tales of wild passions and anguished declarations of love and 'when you die, I die'... people forget about the little gestures. People forget that sometimes, if everything is soft and quiet, then normal volume seems like shouting.
An example: In Dreigiau, every time the words "And they shared a simple kiss" are used, it is a Crowning Moment of Heartwarming. Well, I think so anyway.
Also in agreement on the not trying to shoehorn it in aspect -romance put in just because it seemed like it should be there tends to be painful to read. I would have to say, if you feel like no matter what you try the romance aspects just will not work... try leaving them out. The world needs more genfic anyway.
In terms of actual advice, do not overdo it. Do not be melodramatic, do not have long-winded overblown speeches. Keep it sweet and simple. A few kind words, a gentle touch, a genuine smile, these things can mean the world.
I wish you good fortune.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Satori » September 14th, 2010, 5:35 am

Depends a lot on the context.

I hate Holywood romance. Real love is something that grows between two people when they nurture it. It can wither or it can blossom. There's no magical "tru luv" that makes all right. Romance, like any other relationship, takes work.
Satori

Unread postby serbii » September 14th, 2010, 6:40 am

Little things, little things. Don't underestimate the power of them just doing something together and both of them enjoying it. Of them having a good conversation and making each other laugh.
Share a look, smile at each other, joke and giggle, for God's sake keep everyone in character. If they act out of character it kills it completely. Remember characters aren't 1D, if you write them well they should be fleshed out and you should be able to think "how would they react" in any situation, be it romance or a fight to the death.
serbii

Unread postby MEKristian » September 14th, 2010, 1:29 pm

Well, of course keeping everyone is character is key. That's writing 101, isn't it?

Okay, going against the crowed here, I think it's going to depend on how much time you're allocating to the romance itself. Is it an interval part of the plot? Is it second-string? Lower than that?

The less time you have, the more you have to make up for it with bigger moments to make sure that everybody in the audience knows that Yes, they do love each other. Because even subtlety and realism in love can turn into simply inane gushing that makes one wonder what they see in each other.

Remember, there is a reason "Shipping Bed Death", "Strangled by the Red String" and "Some Anvils Need to be Dropped" exist as tropes.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby gman391 » September 14th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Thanks for the help guys.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Magnificate » September 14th, 2010, 4:37 pm

Because even subtlety and realism in love can turn into simply inane gushing that makes one wonder what they see in each other.
I'd argue that is not a bad thing. Especially your first love might be like that, when you don't really know why you have those feelings for that one girl.
Magnificate

Unread postby gman391 » September 14th, 2010, 4:49 pm

In this case it's a married couple who's been together for awhile. So subtle low key things make sense.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby MEKristian » September 14th, 2010, 4:57 pm

Because even subtlety and realism in love can turn into simply inane gushing that makes one wonder what they see in each other.
I'd argue that is not a bad thing. Especially your first love might be like that, when you don't really know why you have those feelings for that one girl.
Oh yes; It's realistic. But is it interesting to watch? Not so much.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Magnificate » September 14th, 2010, 5:03 pm

Oh yes; It's realistic. But is it interesting to watch? Not so much.
Perhaps it depends more on individual experience. In any case, I'd recommend watching first 4 episodes of Amagami SS or first 3 episodes of Ai Yori Aoshi for two great takes on romance. (Unfortunatelly, not married couple like romance.)
Magnificate

Unread postby gman391 » September 14th, 2010, 5:21 pm

There does seem to be a dearth of married couples that are still romantically attached in anime. At least realistically attached
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Satori » September 20th, 2010, 12:23 am

There does seem to be a dearth of married couples that are still romantically attached in anime. At least realistically attached
Usagi and Mamoru in the manga. The anime version got flanderized because the director was a Yuri fanboy who shipped usagi/rei.
Satori

Unread postby serbii » September 20th, 2010, 1:00 am

Kare Kano is quite good. Both with the protagonists Yukino and Arima and with Yukino's parents.
serbii

Unread postby Nitramy » September 20th, 2010, 1:09 am

Furukawa Akio and Sanae of CLANNAD?
Nitramy

Unread postby gman391 » September 21st, 2010, 1:06 am

Fair points.

.....okay a dearth in shows I actually watch/know more than the advertising blurb about.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Nitramy » September 21st, 2010, 5:43 am

I think I'll join the asking-for-help here.

Most romance involves around a huge "love confession" or declaration.

I'm going to try and make it so the girl won't need to make the confession - the guy already knows (despite being sometimes as oblivious as a post).

How do you think that would go about?
Nitramy

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » September 21st, 2010, 2:24 pm

I can think of a few scenarios:

*After something epic happens, where one or both characters are put in danger, they kiss/embrace very romantically/something. Both of them are hunky dory with this and reciprocrate enthusiastically. Some exposition of another character as "Yeah, they're together now" may be necessary to indicate to the reader that they are now officially an item.

*One tries to confess to the other but is interrupted with something along the lines of, "I know, me too, thank god you feel the same!"

Both of these would be preceded (I'd imagine) by both characters being comfortable flirting, touching each other even when not necessary (grabbing hands, arm pats, hugs, etc), giving compliments, and possibly being a little possessive of the others' attention. Obviously, this kind of thing would depend on the characters.

This also all depends on how confident the characters in question are, and how sure they are that their attraction is mutual. Adjust as appropriate.
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby serbii » September 22nd, 2010, 4:19 am

Someone else could mention it or point it out.
He could read something she wrote or see her talking to a friend or something like that.
serbii

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop