Living On The Edge

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Living On The Edge

Unread postby Lilcross » October 20th, 2010, 6:18 pm

An idea that popped in my head this afternoon. Not the most polished prologue, but I think it has cool ideas and themes. CC appreciated, discussion allowed, etc.

Living On The Edge

I stood on the edge of the building, bracing myself to jump. A helicopter was preparing it's take off on the ground, choppers beginning to rotate hundreds of feet below me. My cell phone began to rumble.

"Sam?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's me."

"Do they have him, or did he escape?"

"They have him. We're going to have to proceed with our plan. You've got exactly 1 minute and 21 seconds until you need to make your move."

I imputed the time on my watch in the blink of an eye.

"Thanks, Sam."

There was a silence, I opened my mouth to say something, then closed it. I sighed.

"Well, I guess this is good--"

"Don't!" Sam cut in.

My eyes went wide. Sam losing her composure? Since when?

"Don't...don't you dare say...'goodbye'."

I smiled.

"Thanks, Sam. See you in a little bit."

I heard a sniff before I closed the phone and put it in my pocket.

I glanced at the time. About a minute left. My heart rate quickened. My brain expected to live. My gut didn't. Sam's calculations were usually correct, but this was absolutely insane. Even a slight mis-calculation, which Sam already admitted was a definite possibility, could end fatal. Sure, she can judge how long it'll take the helicopter to reach the height I want, but that's not taking into account the pilots and passengers actions, or the wind, and probably a million other factors. I was taking a huge risk here. A huge risk I was willing to take to save him.

My stop watch rang. I straightened my goggles and jumped.

I didn't know true terror until I hurled myself off a building hundred of feet in the air. I also didnt know true courage.

Heart ramming, I straitened myself into a nose dive as wind battered against my face relentlessly. The helicopters' choppers seemed to slow down. I just might make it!

Then I realized our mistake: I was moving too fast. If I grabbed the bar at this speed, I would dislocate my shoulder. I grimanced. Too late now.

I shot downward like a bullet, seconds away from the spinning blades!

"This is it!" I thought.

Time stopped as I realizes I was a few feet off calculation. I would be decapitated if I didn't change course soon! With all my might, I swerved my body to the left just as I went between two of the blades of the helicopter. I felt sharp pain on my right arm just as I swung my left one upwards to grab the bar. My palm touched solid metal and I gripped it as hard as I could. I braced myself to stop all the momentum with one arm, but in desperation swung my body with the momentum, saving my left arm and sending me flying into the helicopter. My feet collided with the pilot's shoulder, sending him crashing through the door/window on the other side as he screamed.

Unfortunately, I was still carrying the momentum. I had started to follow the unfortunate pilot out the door when a strong arm grabbed pulled me back inside.

"Thanks--"

My rescuer's fist slammed against my face, sending me crashing onto the floor of the helicopter. I looked up, blinking stars out of my eyes to see my friend and rival, Dax clutching his wrist.

"Why...why did you come?"

Before I could answer, the helicopter began to spin out if control...
Lilcross

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop