FF.net being a jerk

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

FF.net being a jerk

Unread postby TraceReading » March 8th, 2011, 10:13 pm

I don't really know where else I would put this but it seems like a good place to try.
Now at the moment I don't really seem to be having any trouble WRITING anything, the problem is in publishing.
Fanfiction.net, for whatever reason, removes every instance of centered text in the .doc files I upload and publish. So far this hasn't been a problem as I generally only use centered text to act as page separators like so:
[center]* * *[/center]
Is there any way to fix this so this doesn't happen anymore?

(By the way, if you're wondering I am using Microsoft Office Word 2007 to write my stories with. Could that have anything to do with it?)
Last edited by TraceReading on March 22nd, 2011, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See this look? It's terror!
TraceReading

Re: Weird formatting errors in FF.net

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » March 8th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Have you tried using the document editor on FF.net to put the centering back in?
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby TraceReading » March 8th, 2011, 11:33 pm

Oh, well, that works. It doesn't seem to take effect if you've already published the chapter though but for the future, it should be possible.

A little tedious that they don't preserve formatting, don't you think?
TraceReading

Unread postby TraceReading » March 10th, 2011, 7:17 pm

Yes I have. It still eats the centered text. I haven't got the slightest idea why and it's becoming...bothersome.
TraceReading

Unread postby Phht » March 11th, 2011, 3:02 pm

Are you sure it's eating the centered text because it's centered, or because ff.n is a punk and strips out all the common scene separator choices such as ***? Because ff.n has a long history of doing that.
Phht

Unread postby TraceReading » March 11th, 2011, 7:32 pm

It might be the latter, but it also stripped out the row of dashes I was using as a separator in the first chapter of Second Impact, too, and those WEREN'T centered.
So it's probably FF.net being a doody-head.
TraceReading

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » March 12th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Yeah, the best thing I've found with dividers is to just insert the ff.net ones.
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby TraceReading » March 12th, 2011, 5:26 pm

Well with that fixed I'm now faced with the problem of getting errors when I try to update. I love the internet sometimes >:/
TraceReading

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop