Cleaning out insistent bunnies

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Re: Cleaning out insistent bunnies

Unread postby Phht » May 25th, 2011, 7:34 pm

I think it'd depend on how the time stream works.

If it has immutable, predestined points that occur if conditions are met earlier in the time line, then nothing Harry does will prevent Crystal Tokyo from coming about due to the prior time travel. He just might cause a lot of grief and anguish trying to alter the course. You know, kinda like trying to stop a prophecy from coming true in Greek myths.

It if is completely mutable, then the prior time travel was only to/from a possible future and Harry could actually prevent Crystal Tokyo from taking place.

Of course, either path kinda hinges on Usagi losing when her friends and family are on the line.

Time lines match up kind like so:
  • Jan-Jun - Sailor Moon S (anime)
  • ~May - Pluto uses Time Stop and dies
  • Jun - Ministry of Magic fight (OotP book)
  • Aug - Sailor Moon SuperS (anime) starts
  • Apr - SuperS ends
  • Jun - Battle of Hogwarts (HBP book), Dumbledore dies
  • Jul - Harry wraps up loose ends in England
  • Aug - Galaxia begins her operations against Earth (Sailor Stars; more manga than anime).
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 25th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Well, considering that Sailor Pluto even exists in the first place, and was charged with bringing about Crystal Tokyo in canon, I'd have to say that the timestream is entirely mutable.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Phht » May 26th, 2011, 10:19 am

As far as I'm aware, Pluto's sole job is to guard the Gates of Time and Space and prevent (unauthorized) time travel. The whole "bring about Crystal Tokyo" bit is something I've always held as fanon. That's how I'm approaching it here.

Crystal Tokyo itself isn't a goal to be concerned with. If Usagi loses, no Crystal Tokyo; if Usagi defeats Galaxia, Crystal Tokyo comes into being ~2003. It's not involved in the reasons why he's backing Galaxia - which to him is a perceived lack of choice regarding his own life.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Phht » August 17th, 2011, 6:29 am

Man, I've been quiet in my thread for a while.

I'm shifting the plot bunny I was working on and expanding using the Shuuchuu Byakugan idea over to here.

Shuuchuu Byakugan Hinata plot bunny Largely outline form with summarized notes of events, with a few scenes during the prelims. Has the list of prelim match-ups and Chuunin Exam matches (though I'm not sure how Tenten could beat Rock Lee in a 1v1 fight; I like the concept of her beating Kankuro using precision throwing skills to jam his puppet joints, but it'd require her to get past Rock Lee unless I put him against Gaara and gave Tenten a first round bye).
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Jasruv » August 18th, 2011, 10:23 am

(though I'm not sure how Tenten could beat Rock Lee in a 1v1 fight; I like the concept of her beating Kankuro using precision throwing skills to jam his puppet joints, but it'd require her to get past Rock Lee unless I put him against Gaara and gave Tenten a first round bye).
Maybe use a minor genjutsu to hide caltrops on the floor? Something she wouldn't even think of using against a regular shinobi who could dispel it easily, but could use against Lee. Maybe a low lying smoke screen to hide them.

She probably has some idea of what Lee can actually do if he pulls out all the stops, so she would be more interested in finishing the fight as soon as possible before Lee can drop his weights or open a gate.
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » August 18th, 2011, 11:21 am

I don't think Lee would open a gate vs. Tenten. Gaara is one thing, but his teammate? That would be UNYOUTHFUL.
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby Phht » August 19th, 2011, 11:39 am

Yeah. For Tenten to win, she'd have to bring Lee to a crawl/stop before pin-cushioning him, and since he trains his speed/evasion against her throwing skill.... I think what I'll do is swap Hayate/Genma with Yamato as proctor, then make first round fight Gaara v Rock Lee, with Tenten getting the bye. The reasoning for the proctor switch being that Yamato can shut down a jinchuuriki, and since Gaara is known to have issues with following proctor instructions at the end of matches he wins....

I'll deal with moving Hayate off as proctor during the month of training without stooping to using canon to get him out of the way. Training accident or something.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Phht » August 30th, 2011, 1:38 am

The MLP:Persona scene idea I had and listed in plot bunnies thread.
Spoiler: show
Twilight stared at the monstrosity of a building that lay before them. Just a minute prior, all that rested there had been the ruins of the old palace, which had been abandoned nearly a thousand years prior. But when the time struck midnight, the world had shifted -- for lack of a better term -- and the palace ruins had altered and grown into a bizarre mishmash of a tower, reaching toward the moon above. She glanced over at the rainbow-haired pegasus that had decided to accompany her out to investigate the ruins. The two shared a surprised look before deciding to enter the building.

Twilight Sparkle was the personal protege of Princess Celestia, ruler of Equestria, and had studied under her wing for close to a decade. Recently, reports had sprung up of unusual incidents and events taking place in and near Ponyville, as well as testimony from rare ponies of an usual hour that occurs at the stroke of midnight every night that began around the same times as the unusual events. Concerned with these reports, Celestia began an investigation into the reports. Thus, Celestia's most faithful student and the weather pegasus -- the only pony in Ponyville that both knew what she was referring to and cared to check things out that late at night -- started their climb up the tower.

The two had barely started when a trio of Shadows, as named by ponies in the area that encountered them during the added hour, ambushed them. Twilight was knocked back, while the pegasus deftly evaded the two other Shadows. She charged up her magic and struck one of the Shadows with a spear-like magic strike. Its scream of pain drew more Shadows to the fight.

"Rainbow Dash, look out!"

A Shadow dropped from above, slamming the pegasus to the ground. Other Shadows swarmed forward to be rebuffed by a shield formed by Twilight, allowing Rainbow Dash to get back to her feet. Fighting continued, the number of Shadows being whittled down, until a luck strike sent Rainbow Dash skipping across the floor past Twilight. The remaining Shadows moved towards her when time seemed to slow.

In front of Twilight, a card appeared, slowly spinning on a corner. She closed her eyes.

"My dearest student, what is coming is something it seems I cannot aid you greatly. As such, I am entrusting you with this task: investigate these reports and, if the tower truly exists during that odd hour, explore it. Discover what is causing this, and if necessary, stop it. You will have to take responsibility for the consequences of your choices during the investigation, but I have faith in you. Your strength is within you, wanting to be used."

Twilight opened her eyes as time returned to its normal pace. Her magic wrapped around the card, which slowed to a halt with its glowing face pointing to her.

"Per... So... Na."

Her magic crushed the card.

THOU ART I...

AND I AM THOU...
Another MLP:Persona scene that popped into my head. This takes place after the first one by some period of time. Rainbow has acquired her Element and can summon her persona, the two fought a griffin-manticore-hybrid-looking Shadow, but no one else has joined the team yet. So something like 2-8+ weeks have passed since the scene above.
As Rainbow Dash and Twilight made their way into the next section of the tower, strains of music began to be heard ahead of them. The pair moved forward quickly when the music faded away and came into view of an in-progress fight with some shadows. A lone mare faced off against three Shadows, with a fourth in the process of dissolving into nothingness. The pony had a white coat and her blue hair had cyan stripes in it.

Music started to be heard again, emanating from a set of headphones resting at the base of the mare's neck. The headphones' earpieces glowed and a bipedal being flared into existence above the pony. It appeared to be clothed in a white bed sheet, but the appearance of what appeared to be audio equipment attached to it and the overall mechanical form gave a distinctly otherworldly appearance. The persona flung out an arm at one of the Shadows, sending razor discs into the creature before pulling them back with a cable like some bizarre yo-yo. The persona began a spin and unleashed another razor disc yo-yo into a second Shadow with similar results. It completed its spin facing the last Shadow and slicing it to pieces with the first razor yo-yo. Job complete, the persona faded away along with the music.

"She's a persona user. But who is she?"

The mare watched the Shadows dissipate before turning to face the pair. A set of glasses with purple lenses rested on her face. "So, you must be Twilight Sparkle. Saw your work two weeks ago against that griffin-thing on the outskirts of Canterlot. Particularly the part where you used more than one persona. Quite the wild card slipped into the deck of users, aren't you?"

Rainbow Dash frowned. "Who are you? I mean, you look familiar but I can't place it. And it's really suspicious that you're in this place alone."

A smirk appeared. "When working, I go by DJ-Pon3. But you can call me Vinyl Scratch. As for why I'm here... I did some investigating myself after seeing that fight."

Sounds of a singed instrument playing a few notes drifted to them, followed by a different stringed instrument repeating the notes. The two instruments seemed to be dueling each other.

"And who said I'm in here alone?"
This would lead to the introduction of Lyra and Octavia as other persona users that can have their Persona work together to create a Fusion Raid/Spell called Dueling Banjos for reasons unknown to either mare. The trio would show up from time to time but would largely stick to acting more like a defense keeping the Shadows from getting up to mischief in Ponyville or Canterlot.

The wild card comment is a Persona series reference. In Persona 3/3:FES/4, only one character had the ability to summon multiple persona and was referred to as having the wild card. The other persona users only had one persona they could summon (though that persona could change due to events). While not explicitly mentioned in Persona 1-2, the rules consistent between 3-4 for the wild card also fit with the main characters of the earlier games and thus the concept likely exists there as well.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Phht » September 9th, 2011, 3:23 am

Had a three page plot bunny scene pop into my head.

Project 15
Uchiha Sasuke is given a mission to investigate why Fuinjutsu R&D Project 15 went silent shortly after his graduation three years previously, but the history of the project has ties to events of the past decade and even a certain disbanded ANBU division, and its unknown goals could have sinister implications.

If you want a clear time line (try not to read until after the scene, as it spoils the whole thing~)
  • 6 AK
    • Project 15 unofficially starts with Uzumaki Naruto working on a seal concept. He is pulled from the Academy to work on it less than two months after starting.
  • 8 AK
    • (x-2) Prototype of the seal accidentally used on Jounin Uchiha Mikoto. Mikoto used to compile a list of Uchiha masterminding the plot against the Hokage over a two month period.
    • (x) Mikoto and Itachi secretly eliminate the traitors on the Hokage's order. Mikoto ends up Clan Head following the death of her husband.
    • (x+1) Fuinjutsu R&D Project 15 officially formed with "S-rank, compartmentalized - Kages ears only" security level.
    • (x+3) Project 15's compound ready for use. Staff members dispatched to site over the following weeks with various covers. Mikoto passes Clan leadership to Itachi and leaves on a "long term, long range solo mission", but actually is project staff.
  • 11 AK
    • Project 15 delivers a seal for use by Root to keep information regarding its activities secure.
  • 12 AK
    • Spring - Three staff members, including Hyuuga Hinata, are assigned to the project following Hinata's graduation. Last report from Project 15 indicates new members successfully arrived and site secure.
    • Fall - Suna-Oto Invasion during the last stage of the Chuunin Exam. Sandaime Hokage mortally wounded.
    • Winter - Tsunade convinced to return and takes up Godaime Hokage position shortly before Sarutobi's death
  • 13 AK
    • Konoha pushes against all known Oto positions during the year, resulting in the bulk of Oto manpower and bases being destroyed. Search and Destroy teams routinely sweep "sanitized" parts of Rice Fields Country for new or reactivated bases since then.
  • 14 AK
    • Hyuuga Hiashi inquires about his daughter, but events in Kiri spilling out of Water Country into surrounding countries causes nothing to come of the inquiry. Konoha and Suna's efforts to contain the Kiri civil war back into Water Country borders inadvertently aids the rebel forces, bringing about the Yondaime Mizukage's downfall and death, and ending the civil war.
  • 15 AK
    • Hyuuga Hiashi makes second request regarding his daughter, leading to the discovery of three years of silence from Project 15. Sasuke is dispatched with two Root agents by Tsunade to investigate the project compound.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Phht » September 11th, 2011, 10:25 pm

That Persona: Equestria idea is still kinda gnawing at me at random moments. I expanded on the first scene so there's a ~2500 word story there. As is my usual problem, it's heavier on dialogue than description. I really liked the way that first scene I had written worked, so I made it the opening scene, then backed up several days and started doing quick scenes that set things up for her to arrive in Ponyville and end up where the scene takes place.

I haven't decided what Twilight's starting Persona would be, though I'm following the lead of Persona 3-4 (using Persona 4 persona lists overall, too) and making it Fool Arcana. But that doesn't help figuring out which arcana the other five members of the team should be, or those of side characters like DJ-PON3. Maybe Empress for Rarity and Priestess for Pinkie? I dunno.

I did put in a Velvet Room encounter at the end of what I've written so far. No Igor, but I don't think the pick will be disappointing. And finally, I've kinda made references back to the origins of the world Equestria is in.

Megami Ibunroku Persona: Equestria

I used the full title of the original Persona game (as opposed to the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona remake title), mainly because Megami Ibunroku translates to (according to Megami Tensei wiki) "Alternate Tale of the Goddess", which I thought was somewhat appropriate for Equestria. :D
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Phht » March 9th, 2012, 3:47 am

I was thinking about Mass Effect (I have 6-7 friends playing ME3) and then Mirror's Edge, when this idea popped into my head.
A quartet of Husks chased after him through the alleys of the burnt out metropolis. He glanced down a side alley as he started to cross it, and altered his course to go into it with a smile. Halfway down the passage, he ran up the wall partway before pushing off to a short structure blocking the alley while leaving behind a small cylinder. He continued forward, taking several steps straight up the opposite wall before leaping with a turn to grab the roof of the building and roll himself on top as a boom was heard from the alleyway. Standing up, the man walked back to the edge and viewed the results.

He took a moment to check that the case on his back was secure before starting to jog further into the city. His good mood vanished as an Alliance shuttle appeared. Why are they...? The grenade! It drew their attention. With a curse, the man broke into a run, ignoring the shuttle's command for him to stop and be picked up. The city design worked against him, allowing the shuttle to keep up with him, so he shifted direction and headed for a gap caused by a small river to reach one of the former commercial sections of the city. He reached a long rooftop leading to the gap and poured on the speed. As he got close to the gap, biotic energy sprang to life around him and then he leapt into the air with his biotics increasing his air time. If he bothered to look down, he'd see the dry, trash and wreckage filled river bed along with wildly overgrown banks. His feet found purchase on the floor of the skyscraper he jumped for, and he went tumbling along the floor as his biotics winked out.

He managed to use the city's buildings in this section of the city to gain distance on the shuttle, but he could hear at least one other shuttle entering the area. Taking a moment while sliding down a railing for one of the sets of stairs in the area he had passed into, he consulted his omnitool's map of the city. Smoothly moving into a run once he reached the bottom of the stairs, the runner shifted course towards one of the metro railways. In the golden days of the metropolis, well designed public transit had resulted in a fairly significant reduction in aircar use. The transit system was so well designed that now, years after any of it had last been maintained, well over three quarters of the rail system was still functional and running on a schedule that no longer mattered.

The second Alliance shuttle came into view as he excited a service passage onto a walkway next to the railway. With the rail cars coming into view in the distance, he rapidly moved down the walkway towards a pedestrian bridge crossing the transit system path. He arrived at the bridge just as the cars were starting to cross below. He transitioned from the ground to the outer wall of the bridge, running out towards the cars. Gravity asserted itself, pulling him from where he was running. The runner shifted slightly and belly flopped onto one of the rail cars. The impact bounced the man upward, and he grabbed an environmental unit mounted to the top of one of the cars as they moved below his airborne form. His second landing was more permanent and his face barely missed slamming into the environmental unit that kept him on the train.

Glancing back as he entered a tunnel section, he saw both shuttles searching the area he jumped from in case he didn't make his landing. A curve in the track soon left him in the dark with only his omnitool and various lights and signs on the walls for illumination. He took the time to rest, transmitting his path and setting a transfer point soon after he would exit the tunnel. A minute later, he shifted to a crouched position on the train and removed the case from his back as the end of the tunnel came into view. His biotics sprang up again as the car he was on passed back into the light, and the case was launched into the air away from the train with a throw. A biotic blast came from a nearby rooftop on that side of the railway which pulled the case over to a similarly dressed female with a tattoo below her right eye. She secured the case before tossing a salute to the man and disappearing from view in a run. Hand off completed, the man sat on the metro car as it carried him along its route.

The world had been a jewel in the Alliance's eye, one of the early expansions deep into the Attican Expanse. The metropolis had been one of two major cities on the planet, though it was felt that half a dozen more cities would've joined the two in a few more years. Then Geth attacked. There were substantial casualties in the initial attack, but the Geth continued to terrorize the survivors by leaving behind thousands of so-called "dragon's teeth". These dragon's teeth were used to turn humans into cybernetic zombies referred to as Husks. Between the initial attack and the Husk epidemic, the Alliance was forced to clear sections of land and form bases that they used to cover evacuation of the planet.

Unfortunately, many survivors were trapped by damage to the city, Husk "hunting grounds", or even a lack of money to afford passage on a ship off world. Many survivors began feeling they were doomed by the time he first appeared. The man -- though at the time he was only a teenager -- would make his away around the city, getting supplies, medicine, and other necessary items and passing them to the survivors. As time passed, others began emulating his example. Some weren't capable of handling the job and died, others learned and thrived. They became known as Runners, based on some of the advice given by the first runner to those he met emulating him: "Our job is not to stand and fight. It's to get what we carry to those that need it. We're not fighters, we're runners." Those that ran out of luck avoiding Husks went on their Final Run in ways to prevent the Husks from getting a hold of them. Nearly all Runners carried a grenade for that sole purpose.

Some runners continued using their name, most took up new monikers for their new life. Him? He never gave a name when asked for one or about his past. He just smiled and gently changed the subject. The stories of him flowed through the city on the feet of Runners and the Runners and survivors gave him a name, much like the Runners that gave up their old names for new ones. The first Runner began using the moniker as the months and years went by and to the people he helped and worked alongside, it was the only name that fit the man.

As the train slowed approaching a station, Shepard stood and made a biotic assisted leap off the train to continue his work.
Set pre-ME1, and sort of fusing many aspects of Mirror's Edge's world into a ME setting. It's a good explanation as to why everyone in the games just uses "Shepard" to refer to your character. Of course, this pre-military Shepard would be a colonist background. Maybe Earthborn that slipped off world and ended up on some random colony just before the shit hit the fan.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » March 9th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Interesting. I'd read it.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Phht » April 19th, 2012, 4:56 am

Recently had a couple of Persona ideas. One was a ME/Persona crossover. Before I got going too good on that idea, this one sprang to my mind and I ran with it like I was defending laundry from fangirls.
The two girls were battling for the sake of True Love, or at least they thought so. The two were grappling, trying to maneuver the other away from the stairs so they could shove them away and have a clear shot to Him and a shared lunch involving lots of tomatoes. In the furious shifting, situational awareness was lost and the blonde struck in an opening. Her pink-haired rival lost her grip and was shoved away.

Sakura staggered backward a step, then took another step back to steady herself, only to discover empty air where her foot landed. Completely unbalanced, she started her fall backwards while reaching out for anything that could stop it. She could see the surprise on her rival's face and her frantic attempt to grab Sakura's outstretched hands, only to miss and have their fingers slide past each other. Ino stood at the top of the flight of stairs in shock as Sakura tumbled down the stairs, hitting her head and neck on several sharp edges before rolling to a stop on the mid-floor landing. Ino's terrified screams could be heard throughout the Academy as she stared at the unmoving girl.

----

She gazed down at her pet, her creator. It was the idea of a powerful Shadow that had been torturing the girl in her sleep the past week. Many people tamed Shadows throughout history, but the reverse? It had never happened Before and no shadows had heard of it happening since. And here she was, about to finish the process to tame her creator. She would be the real self, not suppressed and hidden away like other Shadows! The first of a new breed....

At which point a bang signaled the sliding doors leading to the room to swing inward until the last of each door left its tracks. Stepping into the space between the doors was a blond-haired boy wearing an orange jumpsuit. He seemed to be considering options as the two door panels made their fall to the ground, shifting into a pose with his finger pointed at her as the doors crashed to the floor.

“Get away from her, you bitch!”

The Shadow could only stare at him in stupefaction, amazed at his audacity. She started gathering her wits to begin banter when a second, very familiar voice came from the hallway past the doors.

“Those were sliding doors, Naruto. You could have just slid one open.”

Naruto waved off the comment with the hand not pointing a finger at the Shadow. “Only wusses don't take the opportunity to make a dramatic entrance when saving a damsel, Inoichi-san. Are you a wuss? I don't think you're a wuss, despite the rumors I've overheard from lots of ninja around the village.”

“I'm not a–! … What rumors?”

The boy ignored the question, walking further in and stopping just outside the beginning of a curved, root-like floor pattern. “Yo, Ino.”

Shadow Ino looked down and saw her pet was staring at the boy with complete confusion. Understandable. She frowned, gently cupping Ino's chin, and turning the girl's head to face her again. “Pet, resume your recitation. I need to deal with something before I can collar you.”

“Ya know, when I said 'get away from her, you bitch', what I meant was, 'get away from her, you bitch.' Since you're her suppressed aspects and thoughts, you ought to have wonderful hearing comprehension in comparison.”

The two ignored the exasperated sigh from Ino's father in the background. Shadow Ino faced the loud-mouthed intruder after giving Ino's cheek a stroke to calm her from the angry twitch Naruto's comment caused.

“I can't believe she's fallen for this.” He tilted his head to the elder Yamanaka, leaving his eyes on the Shadow. “She's supposed to be your heir in intelligence gathering? I feel for the massive handicaps you must work to overcome in your attempt to train her on how to tell fact from fiction. The blonde bimbo stereotype must not be an act for her. Though she'll have to wait several more years before she gets something passably like the figure needed to properly be one.”

Anger flashed through the Shadow. She struck a pose calling attention to her chest. “And what do you call this?”

“A trap,” the boy – no, the nuisance! – deadpanned. “I mean, she's barely got anything currently, and if I wasn't sure of her gender, I would've thought you were in drag.”

Her attention was pulled back to her pet as an angry growl came from Ino. Shadow Ino began reaching out to calm and re-assert her control over the girl, but was forced to jump away as a pair of kunai flashed through where she stood. She glared at the boy working to ruin everything.

He smirked and left his jacket unzipped, a few more kunai visible in a holster within. Naruto waggled a finger at her. “Now now, a good hostess doesn't just ignore her guests.”

“One does not need to be a hostess to uninvited and unwelcome guests. Don't you know it's rude to trespass? I would think even the dead last student has been taught manners by their parents.”

“Do you really think the Hokage would pay as much attention to me as he does, if I had a family? If you're this stupid, I shudder to think how incompetent Ino would be if she wasn't suppressing anything.”

“I guess I'll just have to train you.” She licked her lips.

“Sorry, I'm not into the whole whips and bondage thing, though I'm not surprised Ino is. Definitely seems the type. She must really repress that part of herself, just like the part that likes having a girl at her beck and call like you were working.”

Shadow Ino could only watch in frustrated rage as the boy's barbs finished reigniting the fiery temper and pride of the girl. The rage was slowly replaced with glee as the girl's temper blew and Ino began rejecting her while chewing out the fool, increasing the Shadow's strength rapidly. She could feel it growing and shattering past a block as Ino finished her rant with, “I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THAT SHE IS ANY PART OF ME!”

“After I deal with these pests, I'll put you back in place under my heel, pet!” Shadow Ino burst into laughter as her power swelled. Her form grew and mutated into a vaguely humanoid shape with thorny plant vines waving behind her and flower petals covering parts of her. Flush with power, she faced Naruto with a wide grin.

“Inoichi-san, go keep your daughter company. I'll be quick about this.” He faced her with his own grin. “Huh. Sakura petals. Are you trying to tell us something?”

The Shadow shrieked and struck at him with the vines, missing him each time.

“Now now. I know who and what you are, but you should at least let me formally introduce myself before we get to the fight.”

She growled and waved a hand at him. “You're Uzumaki Naruto. Dead last orphan. Why would I need further introduction than that?”

He laughed at her before drawing himself up. “This battle was decided the moment I stepped into the room. I am Uzumaki Naruto. I am the jinchuuriki for the Kyuubi no Yoko, Nyx's Ninth.”

She blinked. Where had she heard of.... The Shadow's eyes widened as she recalled a comment the pink-haired Shadow had made while helping refine her plan to subdue her creator. “No... That's- that's impossible! Konoha doesn't have a jinchuuriki, let alone a User of a fragment of Nyx! I'll remove you from existence for that blasphemy!”

Her hands flashed towards him, causing a white glowing seal to appear beneath him spinning. Four strips of paper floated out of it on each side of Naruto. The papers froze, flat towards him, and the entire set-up vanished with a bright flash. He staggered, but did not fall.

“Hama? HAMA?! You thought such a pathetic spell would kill me?!” The blue outline of a circle formed under him, glowing upward. A blue-glowing card appeared above his outstretched hand. His fist wrapped around the card and crushed it, causing the blue light round him to surge upward as a shape formed above and behind him. “KURAMA!”

The world went white.
The original sequence would've had a seemingly unrelated scene that sets things in motion, then Naruto getting Inoichi's help, followed by some exposition as the two moved to where Ino was, then more or less the scene envisioned. Then I was all, "fuck that! We can save the exposition for afterward instead of boring me by writing it now!" I was also thinking of not doing the very first scene, but figured it sets things better, so I went back and did that.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 19th, 2012, 11:25 am

Oh, I like this.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Phht » April 20th, 2012, 1:18 am

I want to expand more on it, but I'm kinda unsure which direction to take it. My original idea was that the fall "knocked loose" Sakura's inner self, which is actually a Shadow. And then it went after Ino in revenge while its real self was comatose in the hospital recovering, eventually leading to the events of the snippet. Problem came in when the Shadow reacted to Naruto's introduction.

It has all the knowledge and memories of the real self but there's no "racial" memory or anything like that, so how would it know about fragments of Nyx? So I had the Shadow 'mentoring' it tell her about them. But if the Shadow is from Sakura, how would her shadow know about fragments of Nyx? (There is also the jinchuuriki thing, but that might have been covered regarding other villages... or Sakura could've done some light reading for some report.)

I had two options (though it's expanded out to three while I was thinking on it just now). One would be to keep Inner Sakura as the 'villain' and keep rolling, and possibly result in leaving a bit of a plot hole. Two would have another Shadow as the villain, and the thing with Sakura was just a red herring (like communism!). Three... three would be all the above. Which makes it feel like a TV series or game. I like that feeling.

For those wondering why I picked Ino... Well, Yamanaka. The exposition section would clear things up more, but the Hollow world/Shadow world was kinda like Persona 4 Before. Things changed a lot as a result of the events that caused the pre-event period to be referred to as "Before". As a result, a mind-walker becomes more useful for Anti-Shadow operations. Well, that and a sensor would help locate places to go (which was why Naruto had to go to Inoichi to get into Ino's mindscape instead of going through the Shadow world) and some of the sensor-y things from P3-4.

--

Right now, I'm figuring a "chapter 1" would be the current stuff, plus another scene or two set a couple days later that'll do some exposition and make Ino a Persona user. "Chapter 2" would likely be pursuing a clue to its conclusion, Sakura waking up, etc. "Chapter 3"... Hee. :leaving:

Not sure when chp2-3 would be done though. Having to figure out the Haruno Clan regarding the implications of Sakura's inner self being a shadow. Like whether or not it it is a clan thing, or if a it can become a Persona given the relationship between Sakura and her inner self (and if it can, would it cause problems/repercussions within the clan?).

--

Meant to write the exposition scene... instead, I got a page of this.
Naruto waited for the classroom to empty before making his way down to the desk where Iruka was seated. He stopped in front of it.

Iruka sighed. “Naruto, how do you expect to graduate if you keep falling asleep during lessons? As it is, you're barely holding a passing grade.”

Naruto winced and stared down at the desk. “I'm trying, sensei. I am! It's just– I'm not getting enough sleep right now. But I'm getting better!”

“I noticed,” Iruka allowed with a nod. He pulled out a book. “You've been falling asleep less as time passes, particularly these past few days. But if you fall behind now, you'll have a harder time trying to keep up with your classmates later on. Especially since your grades weren't the best to begin with. So, for detention, you'll be catching up on what you slept through. Beginning with history.”

The student cringed. “Aw, Iruka-sensei! That's boring enough to put me asleep at the best of times!”

The discussion was placed on hold when the door to the classroom slid opening, admitting Inoichi with Ino waiting in the hall. “I'm sorry to interrupt, but Naruto is needed for a meeting with the Hokage.”

Iruka looked over Inoichi as if looking for a sign it wasn't truly the man. Coming to a decision, he smiled at Naruto. “Well Naruto, looks like you just dodged a terrible fate. Though, maybe you should ask someone to help tutor you so your sleeping habits won't leave you falling behind further before you adjust to them.”

Naruto's shoulders slumped momentarily, before he smiled and gave the instructor a wave. “See you tomorrow, Iruka-sensei.”

The three blondes made their way out of the Academy, turning toward the Hokage Tower. They continued in silence for a while before Naruto spoke up.

“I guess you got my message then.”

Ino facepalmed on the other side of her father.

“Hm? No. I was holding off on the meeting until I had gotten Ino's mindscape back to proper condition. When was I to get a message from you?”

“Um, I told Ino to pass it along when you asked?”

Ino's other hand joined the first in covering her face.

“Oh? And when would you be passing my princess any messages since that night that you'd expect me to ask her anything regarding?”

Naruto belatedly realized what had happened and tried to recover. “Certainly not during nightly visits to– I mean, never? Man, that was totally suspicious non-truthful stuff I almost said there. Ahahahaha.”

Inoichi just looked at him for a few seconds before quietly facing forward with a small smile. Naruto slowly inched away, only to feel a hand on his shoulder keeping him from escaping. A barely audible whimper told him that Ino was likely in the same situation.

The smile only grew at Naruto's muttered, “This is all the Yondaime's fault.”
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Phht » April 24th, 2012, 4:02 am

Persona: Naruto

Ye Old Exposition Scene. Lots of talking, but decided to cram some backstory/origin in there along with info for those people that aren't really familiar with Persona. Not too happy about how much was spoken (show vs tell received the finger this scene), but I can largely forgive myself in the belief that I shouldn't need to do something like this again, or at least a long, long while.
The Hokage looked from where his jounin spoke of the recent incident, to the man's daughter, and finally to the blond Uzumaki.

“I can explain? Somewhat, at least? This all starts with a drunk Chunin. Nah, he didn't attack me, well, not intentionally. That kunai he tossed was on reflex and his aim was so shot it came no where near hitting me. But I was somewhat tense at the time and the noise of the kunai hitting nearby sent me running to my apartment, where I ended up catching my foot on something and slamming my head into something tougher than it.”

Naruto winced at the memory and rubbed his head. “Woke up in a sewer looking place. I wandered around and eventually found this gated area. While I was trying to see what was inside, another me showed up. Well, he looked like me, but the eyes and voice were off. I later learned he was Shadow me. He spoke some, I denied what he said repeatedly, and then he transformed into this ugly-ass creature and tried to kill me.”

The other three ninja in the room blinked, though only two had a clue as to what the gated area represented. The Hokage spoke up. “Shadow you?”

Naruto nodded. “From what I understand, Shadows are, um, suppressed thoughts and feelings a person has, but given form. And they're usually pretty pissed about being the ignored/suppressed parts of a person. Denying that they're a part of you gives them strength and eventually they might decide to kill you to 'become' you. As far as anyone knows, that plan just doesn't work though.”

Sarutobi took a moment to process that information, then motioned for Naruto to continue while he filled his pipe.

“Well, at the time I was only eight? nine? years old, so I wasn't too good at combat stuff. In fact, I think Kurama mentioned that it only really happened because I had unlocked access to chakra, which enabled? the situation to happen. In any case, the Shadow me was kicking my ass badly, when there was a massive roar from the gated area and this weird playing card looking thing drifted down in front of me.” Sarutobi looked like he was about to inject to ask another question, but Naruto plowed on. “Seeing as I was bad off at the time, I grabbed the card in case it could help. And it summoned Kurama, who proceeded to beat the snot out of my Shadow self.”

Naruto stopped speaking at this point, if only because Ino was trying to smack him for ignoring the Hokage, allowing Sarutobi to speak up. “And who is Kurama?”

Naruto laughed nervously. “That's a loaded question, jii-san. There's three or four ways I could describe Kurama, all equally valid. Nyx's Ninth. A Persona. And, probably what you're wondering, the Kyuubi no Yoko.”

The silence was deafening. Ino froze her swings in surprise, before a light blush dusted her cheeks and she took her seat. Inoichi sat there with a resigned expression on his face. And the Hokage was trying not to choke on his pipe. Naruto eyed the old man.

“While you're, um, busy, I'll explain more? A Persona is a tamed Shadow, from what I've been told. It's really the best thing to take on a Shadow with. And much like ninja, Persona can be of different overall strengths. The fragments of Nyx are pretty much the top of the line, Shadow or Persona. And Kurama is the most powerful of the fragments. And after saving me from my Shadow – and man, that makes me sound like some frightened scaredy-cat kid – we talked a bit and he gave me permission to call upon him as a Persona.”

Sarutobi got himself under control and out of danger of choking to death during Naruto's further speaking. He took a few moments to consider what he'd been told so far. The Hokage voiced a thought that had been on his mind. “So Kurama is your Persona? Does this mean you can use Kyuubi's chakra?”

“Nah. Kurama is a Persona I can use. My Persona, I don't have yet. Can't bring myself to face the parts of me I suppress and accept that they're me too. And until I can face and accept my Shadow self, I can't make proper use of the chakra. Not like Eight and Two.”

“Eight and Two?” Sarutobi paused, considering what had been mentioned so far. “Nyx's Ninth... the nine biju are fragments of Nyx, then? What is Nyx?”

“Ooooh, you're good, jii-san. Nyx was an entity held from completing its task by a powerful Persona user. A few decades later, nine similarly strong Persona users decided to rescue that user from his task, and attempted to outright destroy Nyx itself. The thing is... its physical body is the Moon. It's destined to bring about the end of humanity, awakened by the negative thoughts and feelings of humans given form. But they succeeded, somewhat.”

Naruto stayed in his chair and rubbed his face. “They freed the guardian and the ten battled Nyx's Shadow form. It came down to Earth during the fighting, and the world was reshaped by the battle. Humanity died by the millions as they were caught in the middle. The survivors were altered by the energy given off by the fighting. Eventually one of the weaker Persona users ripped away a piece of Nyx and sealed it within themselves before they died from injuries. The fighting continued and one by one, the Persona users fell, though each took a slightly larger chunk of Nyx with them. Finally it came down to three users versus what remained of Nyx's Shadow self. While one faced the being and held its attention, the remaining two tore Nyx in half, each sealing their section away before also dying from injuries.”

Inoichi connected the dots. “Thus the nine biju came into being from a larger, more powerful entity. And the lone surviving Persona user, he'd be the Sage of the Six Paths, wouldn't he?”

A slow nod was his answer. “The world had been torn apart by the fighting. The survivor, the user that had guarded Nyx to prevent the death of humanity, took it upon himself to help guide humanity and aid their adaption to the world it found itself in now. Shadows and aware Persona refer to the time before the battle with Nyx as simply 'Before'.”

In the wake of that information, a short break was called. The meeting returned underway several minutes later, now more focused on how Ino became involved, with Inoichi taking the lead in questioning.

“How did you discover that Ino needed help?”

“Well, um. I was concerned somewhat by how she had changed in personality as the days went by following the accident with Sakura. Then one day I, um, saw an uninvited guest alongside her. I'm not really sure how to explain it, and Kurama doesn't really know anything either from the memories of the user who sealed that fragment. But I can sorta see if someone's Shadow is visiting another person just by looking at the person being visited?”

Both ninja decided not to look further down that path at the moment, and Inoichi asked a question he had been wondering since the walk to the Tower. “Given that you have visited my daughter at night since the incident, why did you need my help in the first place?”

Uzumaki scratched his head sheepishly. “We didn't actually want to involve you. It's just that we couldn't locate her mindscape in the Shadow version of Konoha. And once it appeared that we were running out of time to help, I decided to just get your help rather than maybe miss helping Ino in time. I visited her after to make sure there were no relapses or attacks from the Shadow that started things, get some info on what she could remember, and to give her some training in using a Persona.”

Inoichi nodded. “Can Persona be used here?”

Naruto cocked his head to the side and blinked in confusion. “Kurama says probably not. The memories of Before he gained from the user that sealed the fragment indicates that they had met a Persona user that used their Persona in the real world, but it was due to an experiment gone wrong and the ability vanished once the mess had been cleared up a decade later. So I guess, possible under rare conditions?”

Sarutobi and Inoichi both nodded in acknowledgment. “Since you were questioning Ino about what she remembered, I take it you went investigating after the incident?”

A scowl greeted the question. “Yeah, and best case, it's not a major problem. Worse case, it's a massive problem. The Shadow that started things with Ino was pink-haired, and given that Shadows resemble their living self, my first thought was a Shadow of Haruno Sakura. It'd fit somewhat, given the timing.”

Ino blinked. “But don't a lot of the Haruno Clan have pink hair?”

“Yep. So I took a quick Shadow world trip to visit friends for information on the Haruno Clan, in case they picked up on something from the numerous merchants in the clan. Eight and Two couldn't really help, except that Haruno merchants were always able to tell who they were without any introduction or information. Particularly if they had run into a Shadow Haruno at some point.”

Inoichi frowned, considering the implications of that bit of knowledge. “So you think that another Shadow in the Haruno Clan might have been responsible for Ino instead, and that they can somehow pass information to their real self?”

“They can claim clan secrets if we pry, plus revealing that someone in Konoha is aware of Shadows and convinced jii-san that they're real. Massive problem.” Naruto twiddled his thumbs briefly before looking at Inoichi. “Um, any chance you could teach Ino that mind transfer thing you did when you got me into her mindscape?”

The jounin gazed at Naruto for several seconds, then glanced at Ino. “Unfortunately, she lacks the skill and experience necessary to learn that technique. She could learn it, but it would be years away. You aren't hoping to use her to explore people's mindscapes on a whim, are you?”

“Just Sakura's. Hasn't there been talk about how she should have woken up by now and no one is sure why she's still in a coma? Then again, getting her alone would be a pain since there seems to always be a clan member in the room with her.”
Also, I hit up the Megami Tensei wiki and discovered that I had things sorta wrong in my head regarding Nyx. Luckily, it was just in my head so I could fix things without issue when giving the back story. Though, anyone realize how this'll affect the Moon Eye plan as detailed in canon?
:secret_laugh:
Wraps up Ino's section, and introduces the next possible person to get some Persona TLC. Or I might go "lol no, surprise investigation" because I'm lazy.
Phht

Unread postby Phht » April 27th, 2012, 4:28 am

Hee hee hee. I had an idea~ Mass Effect crossover! See if you can guess the other series before it becomes obvious!
He hated the drabness of this world. Everyone liked to refer to it as red, but after nearly four months of fighting here, he really felt that they were full of shit. Though, once all this was over, red might accurately depict it. Edging out of cover slightly, he aimed his sniper rifle down range and drilled a round through the visor of a turian attempting to move to closer cover. A second shot clipped another turian before he had to pull back into the defense position.

A few dozen meters behind him, a beam of energy streaked skyward and ended in a flash of light as the targeted ship in orbit exploded. Four more shots followed similar paths over the next minute, each ending the life of a ship. He leaned against the rock wall forming part of the redoubt he was defending and drank some water.

“Hey, Alenko. Whatcha see while sticking your head out that time?”

“Looks like they were starting to try to advance using cover again. Not that they can really do anything but keep trying, since we keep destroying the various ships in orbit with one shot each. But you'd think they'd attempt new tactics eventually.”

The other marine, sitting near a firing slot in a reinforced bunker area covering an approach on the other side of a rock formation, laughed. “If we gave them time, they might. But losing five ships in a minute fairly regularly plus that goddam dreadnaught really lights a fire under their asses to take the spot now rather than hold back and really work at how to break in.”

Alenko was about to say something back when the ground shook slightly and the wall provided by the rock formation crumbled slightly. Their eyes widened in surprise before the marine darted back from the wall and Alenko dropped his sniper rifle as he started moving towards the possible breach. The ground rumbled again and a one-and-a-half to two meter wide section of wall collapsed inward even as the other marine urgently called in the breach.

Alenko's right hand caught the lead turian exiting the tunnel with an omni-energy enhanced backhand, the explosion on contact sent the alien crashing to the ground stunned and injured. A burst of rifle fire finished him off. Not stopping, Alenko's left arm came up, driving an omni-blade into the next turian in line. A “Danger close!” call from the marine had Alenko throwing himself away from the breach and narrowly avoiding what looked like a giant snake of fire that came from behind and pushed down the tunnel.

The flame tapered off after a few seconds and Alenko was back at one side of the hole. He caught a grenade tossed to him, primed it, and sent it hurtling down the tunnel with a cry of “Seal out!” The other marine copied him a few seconds later, and the breach was sealed within a minute by rapid expanding and setting foam that hardened into an extremely dense solid. The two leaned against the wall on each side of the closed hole and breathed out a sigh of relief.

Moment over, the marine pointed to Alenko's open air section of the position with a groan. “Dammit. We need to check our areas in case they make a push using that attempt.”

Alenko moved back over and recovered his sniper rifle. Picking a new spot, he noted several turian squads leap-frogging using cover towards that redoubt section. Wondering why they'd be advancing at that pace despite the possible failure of the breach attempt, he scanned the skies. “Turian gunship inbound. Looks like it's providing fire support to a multi-squad push right at us.”

Two female humans stepped into the bunker area. They eased over and glanced out where Alenko was watching. The two pulled back and turned to each other. “I'll take the gunship.”

“No way. I can't deal with ground targets using cover like you can. I'll hit the gunship, you shatter the advance.”

“Fine. By the way, I hear she's about to hit the first world. Think it'll make them back off or actually make the Council get fully involved in forcing an end to this?”

A snort answered her. “If anything, it'll make them more likely to push harder once they know we're doing it. And maybe after a few more, the Council will get more aggressive on their actions to end this. Gunship's two hundred meters out. Ready?”

“Does a disarmed man have trouble picking stuff up?” Three disbelieving and/or confused stares looked back at her. “What?”

Alenko shook his head and focused back on his sector. “Gunship one hundred meters out. Looks like it's starting an attack run on this spot.”

The two ladies nodded to each other.

“Burning Madala!”

Eight rings of flame raced out from the defense line towards the charging gunship. It started to break off and evade, but six of the rings sliced through it like a knife through warm butter. The craft started coming apart from the attack and then exploded.

Even as the gunship met its end, the second lady pointed a finger towards the sky over the advancing turians. “Crescent Beam Shower!”

A beam of energy streaked out from the finger, began curving down over the advancing turians and split into numerous beams of energy that raced downward. Explosions littered the area as the beams detonated against the ground and turians alike. Alenko began picking off injured and dazed turians that exited cover or had the cover shattered by the attack. The survivors began dragging wounded away and providing suppression fire as they pulled back towards their lines. Alenko continued sniping targets as Crescent Beams and Flame Sniper shots joined in, further devastating the turian force.
Yes, that IS a Sailor Moon crossover. No Great Freeze/Crystal Tokyo, but there is a nice Crystal Palace type place in Tokyo where the senshi live. They're technically a part of Japan, but restrict themselves to defending Earth first and foremost.

The First Contact War went as canon up until Shanxi was retaken. The turians got their dander up (fuck you, Gettysburg, for getting that phrase stuck in my head! :D ) and ignored the Council's attempts to broker a peace. As a result, the turians retook Shanxi, and pushed forward into Alliance space. Having gotten information on the galaxy from the Council during the attempt at peace negotiations, humans are aware of what awaits them if the turians defeat them and humanity takes up a stance largely condensed to the motto "No Surrender, No Quarter". They rapidly build in underground networks and complexes to fall back to when the orbitals of a colony are lost, and every human proceeds to fight the turians from these fortifications.

As a result, significant portions of the turian military are held up on most human worlds after the first few, having to force their way into these complexes and secure them from an opponent that fights to the absolute last. The sheer brutality of the fighting stuns the galaxy as humanity drags the turians into a door by door, corridor by corridor underground fight utilizing every dirty trick they can think up. As the turians push humanity back further, elements of the Alliance Navy strike various supply depots and shipyards using dreadnaughts. The dreadnaughts ignore damage taken, drive up to or into the location, firing everything at any target it can hit, and once critical damage is received, the ship deliberately detonates its eezo core in the most destructive manner possible.

Scouts of the quarian Migrant Fleet and even numerous quarians on their Pilgrimage were killed by turians in several incidents as reprisals for providing logistical support to the Alliance. As a result, the Migrant Fleet moved fully into the Terminus Systems and provided more overt support for Alliance military forces marauding against turian targets while quarians on Pilgrimage fled Council space and returned to the Fleet.

As 2159 drew to a close, the turians managed to push humanity back to the Arcturus system. By the end of a six month battle that introduced to the turians the kamikaze tactic using heavily damaged fighters/interceptors and warships that can't retreat from a battle, they manage to get control of the Sol Relay. It took a further four months to occupy the colonies in the rest of the cluster. By this point, over half of the turian military is involved in the war in some capacity and the death tolls are in the hundreds of millions for both sides. It took a further three months for the turians to secure a foothold inside the Sol System. Seeing the end in sight, the turians redirected more of their navy to the campaign and rapidly pushed in to Mars. By this point, the Council was starting to deploy its non-turian military forces to seize turian military assets and demanding the turians stand down.

And during the Mars campaign, humanity revealed it still had aces up its sleeve that moved into play with Earth being threatened. Mars and its near orbit became a meat grinder as the new forces came into play. One of the key points of resistance was known as Venus Redoubt, where regular surface-to-orbit attacks were fired from with devastating effect on the ships hit. Seeing as Mars is not a garden world, the turians deployed a dreadnaught into orbit to take out the position. Its rounds impacted against an incredibly strong barrier that absorbed even its main gun rounds without wavering. And after it ceased firing, the barrier dropped and five beam strikes in a minute destroyed the vessel.

Soon after, a series of six turian worlds and their orbitals were cleansed of all life. No one could figure out what happened, or what caused it. Human colonists from Shanxi and a few other early captured colonies would only cheer and refer to the worlds as being Silenced when interviewed by reporters. The galaxy finally learned what was happening during a live broadcast of a turian government meeting on Palaven. A human female with a glaive appeared in the room and requested the turians end the war. They refused and after failing to pierce an invisible barrier around the female using their weapons on hand, she Silenced the turian homeworld.

Aghast at what happened, the rest of the Council races banded together and launched military action against the turians to force an end to the war before things got worse in humanity's desperation to survive as an independent species. The turians finally secured the surface of Mars in the later half of 2161, but had lost nearly half of its territory to Council forces due to most of the turian military being deployed in the campaign against the humans.

The turians redirected half of their surviving naval forces in the Sol System back to halt the Council advances, only to discover that the Migrant Fleet had gone on the offense alongside cut off Alliance Navy forces. The joint Navy bulled its way to Arcturus and transited the relay. With the arrival of the Migrant Fleet in the Sol System, Earth became the anvil to the Fleet's hammer.

With the situation deteriorating rapidly for the turians, the replacement government acceded to the Council's demands and ordered the military to stand down. In the aftermath, humans and quarians alike withdrew from the galaxy into the Sol System and rebuffed any attempts from the Council for reconciliation. After they had recovered as much as possible and had gotten all their people through, they shut down the Charon Relay and "reburied" it.

Epilogue would skip forward to the 2190s or 2200s, as ragtag ships from various species start appearing at the edge of the local cluster, bringing word of an invasion by a group referred to as Reapers that were in the midst of wiping out all intergalactic life at the time the ships started the long FTL journey to the cluster from the closest clusters. However, the Reapers never show up in the cluster, leaving the refugees to wonder why that cluster was spared. Waiting a decade or two more, the Alliance "unearths" its relay and begins to send feelers out into the galaxy to see the state of things post-Reaper invasion.

(Hint: The Reapers aren't stupid enough to ever take on Sailor Saturn, let alone Sailor Moon and her Crystal Deus Ex Machina.)

Also, no, that's not Kaiden. More like his dad or uncle or granddad or something.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby gamebrain89 » April 27th, 2012, 3:47 pm

I'd definitely read it. And considering that I tend not to like anything with Sailor Moon in it with a few expections...
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby ShonenHero » April 27th, 2012, 10:48 pm

I'd...well, damn, yeah I'd read it. Damn finely bred bunny you got there, though holy crud on a cracker Phht you scare me with some of the stuff you come up with. In a good way, though! XD
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby Phht » April 28th, 2012, 12:35 am

Unfortunately, it's basically a dead idea. If I show the whole war, then the SM crossover will be fairly minor in the scheme of things. If I just show the section involving the Senshi, then the bulk of the war is skipped over. And once the war ends, the Senshi would go back to chilling on Earth and likely wouldn't be in the rest of the fic.

Or I could drop the idea that they only defend Earth, which would allow them to appear sooner in the war... but then the war might not get as bad as it currently is unless turians take Silencing worlds to mean that they can use sorta equivalent weaponry against the humans.

Of course, this terrible joke popped into my head regarding the refugee situation in the 'epilogue'.
It was bad enough that they had to abandon family and friends and belongings and Thessia in a long shot plan to have the species survive by FTLing to humanity's star cluster. It was bad enough that the cluster seemed to be an actual safe haven from the Reapers cleansing the galaxy. But being channeled through this open air maze of prefab walls like livestock? That was humiliating, and she had to resist the urge to go on a rampage several times so far. The Alliance marines patrolling on walkways on top of the walls helped curb the desire.

After hours moving through the maze, she was finally near the point for processing to enter the Alliance officially. A barrier popped up over the door as the last of the current batch entered for processing. She looked around and spotted a quarian marine leaning against the upper walkway's railing. The marine looked down at the refugees before turning his gaze to a human marine next to him.

"Well, I guess this is proof that there are only two categories of aliens in the galaxy."

The human snickered as if the quarian was telling an old joke. "And what are the two categories?"

"Useless and turian."

"Turians get their own category?"

"Well, it would've been 'trigger-happy', but then someone might think turians could be completely useless."

The two marines looked at each other before busting into laughter.

Down below, the asari finally lost her cool. "What the hell are you laughing about, quarian? You're an alien too!"

A human marine on the opposing walkway called down to her, "They aren't alien. They're Alliance."
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Phht » May 1st, 2012, 1:00 pm

Mass Effect/Sailor Moon

I could alter up things a bit with this, drawing some inspiration from Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Orion by LeVar Bouyer, and have more Senshi than just the nine/ten and asteroid. In which case, the Senshi would have Crystal City/Crystal Tokyo, a city-state much like Vatican City is, and they'd have a School there (founded, I dunno? some time in the 2103-2149 range probably) that would take the best and brightest girls (also, psychologically stable and lacking megalomania issues...) and train them to be Senshi. Those very few that don't wash out of the School are empowered and become Senshi.

They'd largely stick to themselves except when really concerned about/in favor of something or if the UN requests their assistance. Following the formation of the Systems Alliance, the Senshi would end up being sorta the equivalent to the Council Spectres. They're held out of the fighting early on, but once the turians ignore the Council and press the war, the Senshi start being deployed. As a result, the situation isn't quite as bad as the original idea (so the scene with Mars and Venus would just be relocated to another world instead of on Mars), but humanity still is getting pressed back (just not near as quickly).
Getting to be a Senshi is not an easy task. In BSSO, the entrance exam for the School is close to 10 hours long and is designed to fail damn near everyone. We're talking less than one percent of girls that take the test per year worldwide; only 100 passes a year max. And then a failure rate of >50% over the course of the year of classes. And it'd been something like 20 years (from the time of BSSO's start) that more than five people became Senshi in a year. The class covered by BSSO had 76 people passing the exam, and only 2 ended up as Senshi, as an example.

So if we imply a similarly rigorous system here, there'd likely be 10-50+ additional Senshi worst case by the time the First Contact War breaks out (depending on when the School starts operating). Best case would be something like 40-200+ Senshi depending on when the School starts operating.
--

Semi-related, but I was kinda thinking "what would make the Reapers avoid the local cluster like the plague?" and this is what I came up with.
There was, in fact, a good reason that the Sol System and its cluster were safe havens from the Reaper invasion, though almost no one was aware of the reason. This reason also happened to tie into the one time a Reaper invasion wasn't really necessary.

Simply put, the Sailor Wars kicked off only a few years before the cycle would begin, and in the end had more or less done the job for the Reapers. The Reaper Nazara stayed hidden and observed as a faction under a being known as Sailor Galaxia started marching across the galaxy, wiping out entire civilizations in their campaign to eliminate all Senshi. There was a lull centuries later as the surviving members of the Galaxia faction withdrew to a hidden location to recover and prepare for the last push, and other survivors retreated to the last system with Senshi.

Seeing the war seemingly end, Nazara called in the rest of the Reapers to clean up the galaxy and take care of the civilizations that the galaxy spanning war had missed. The data on the abilities of the various Senshi that Nazara compiled left all the Reapers wary of encountering such a being, but there was no real worry of running into anything that could seriously jeopardize the Reaper forces.

Then two dreadnaught-sized Reapers were dispatched to a cluster in the Orion Arm. Upon arriving in the cluster, the Reapers reported an advanced civilization in the system. Hours later, a frantic message was sent from one of the dreadnaughts reporting a being named as “Sailor Saturn” had destroyed the other ship and the entire world it was on. The message was followed up by a hurried data dump from the remaining dreadnaught and contact was lost soon after the data transfer completed.

After a scout confirmed aspects of the messages, the Reapers collectively decided to make that cluster off limits. Cleansing the cluster was possible, but it wasn't cost effective to deal with eliminating anything that could destroy a two kilometer long warship so completely no traces of it could be found later. Plus, the civilization had not really expanded outside its own system and showed no signs of using the mass relay or related technology. And so the cycle drew to a close and the Reapers disappeared into deep space to slumber for another fifty-thousand years.

The next cycle was fairly well known in history, as the Protheans left their mark on the galaxy for future civilizations. The only hitch in the cycle came as Reapers chased down a number of Prothean ships that fled into that cluster. The Reapers spent a week debating whether to chance encountering the beings in order to eliminate the Protheans, and eventually decided on sending a scout in first. A report came back in short order that almost no signs of that civilization remained in the system, and what remains were still around had been left alone by the Protheans as well.

Relieved yet still wary, the Reapers pushed through in force. They destroyed much of the Prothean spacecraft in the system before leaving to the other systems in the cluster. The Protheans took the opening presented and survivors from the system and the rest of the cluster banded together and fled the cluster, allowing the Reapers to pursue without needing to set down on any of the planets once ruled by that original civilization.

Millennia passed and eventually Nazara awoke to take in the state of the galaxy in preparation for the start of the next cycle. Everything was normal and on track until what the turians referred to as the “Relay 314 incident.” In and of itself, the incident didn't concern the Reaper much until it noted the appearance of the species fighting the turians, which looked very much like the Sailor Senshi it observed nearly a hundred thousand years prior. It was the total destruction of all life on six turian worlds that drew its concern, and the panic set in when “Sailor Saturn” appeared on the turian home world and subsequently cleansed it of all life like the previous six worlds.

Frantic conversation ensued between Nazara and the Reaper in charge of the modified Prothean servants over what were the Reapers going to do with a mass relay capable Senshi civilization. Relief was almost present throughout the Reaper forces when the war ended and humanity declared its intent to hole up in its cluster and isolate itself from the galaxy once more.
Basically, the Reapers saw the Sailors Wars, cleaned up after the war went cold, and learned to avoid the local cluster. Some time after that cycle ended, Beryl offs the civilization. Protheans eventually find the system and watch over the future-humans evolving on Earth. Protheans get chased out of the cluster by the Reapers without the Reapers setting down on any of the worlds in the Sol System. Sovereign watches the news of the Relay 314 incident and freaks out when Saturn kills 7 worlds. All Reapers sigh in relief that humanity's going to stay in its cluster and not wander around the galaxy getting involved.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Phht » May 3rd, 2012, 8:24 pm

Persona: Naruto

From ~5 years ahead of where the other snippets are (they're ~10 in those snippets, so this would be near the end of the time skip time frame)
Naruto leaned against a cliff face near the sea. He was pretty sure it was near the Frost Country border, which meant it was quite clear of where he left the two Akatsuki after snagging their prize. Unfortunately, his escape had drawn significant attention and, due a carried unconscious kunoichi, he couldn't get the space needed to get to safety.

Rhythmic thudding drew his attention to where 4 pursuers were closing in. He drew a tagged kunai and hurled it towards the lead hostile, taking it out in the blast. Its partner fell back behind the source of the thudding – a pair of armored figures with swords. Movement heard on top of the cliff made him sigh, as there was no where left to go. A pair of tagged kunai were thrown at the approaching figures, and Naruto used the blasts slowing down the advance to carefully lay down the injured kunoichi. With her out of his arms, he stood to fight.

A light nearly as bright as the sun erupted on top of the cliff pursued by rumbles. The three hostiles paused, and a figure dropped down to land lightly between Naruto and them. From the back, the figure had long blond hair tied in a ponytail. She had shinobi style boots with light chain mail knee and elbow pads and black arm bracers. A short purple skirt and a black jacket resembling a Konoha flak jacket completed the visible ensemble.

She withdrew two rectangular baton-sized items from under the jacket and surged forward toward the left armored figure. The woman skidded to a halt, raising her left arm to block the sword strike with the baton-shaped item in that hand. A twist of the hand snapped open the identical item in her right hand, revealing it to be a small tessen that she swept through the figure's neck as she twirled on her left foot in closer to the target.

She continued the swing and flipped over the target's arm, even as the figure's head came off and the form disintegrated into rapidly vanishing black smoke. The flip moved her clear of the strike from the other armored Shadow. She snapped her other fan open and took part of the Shadow's arm off as her body continued its flip. A persona card appeared in her path and her right shin plowed through it moments before she touched down inside a glowing blue circle and stood upright. “Athena!”

A large armored female form appeared behind her and swept a giant sword through the Shadow and two other nearby ones that had attempted to rush past. All three Shadows disintegrated into the black smoke like the first one had. The Persona disappeared and a second card appeared in front of the woman, and this time she struck it using a spin kick. “Artemis!”

A much less armored though similarly sized female appeared behind her with a bow. This Persona quickly drew the bow and loosed a volley of arrows that struck down a number of arriving Shadows. The remaining Shadows halted in wariness. The rescuer turned to face him, revealing a purple midriff baring top underneath the flak jacket.

“Looks like you're the damsel in distress this time, Naruto.”

Naruto sighed in relief and leaned against the cliff again with a grin. “I may have been in need of assistance, but I'm never a damsel in distress. Ino, you've certainly grown a lot since I last saw you. Your reserves have certainly grown more, that's for sure.”

“Oh please, we saw each other just six months ago, and six months before that. I didn't change that much since then. And what are you talking about, my reserves? I didn't use any jutsu...” She happened to glance at her chest and blinked. A snort and laughter followed. “Okay, you certainly have an eye for detail considering that I wasn't really flashing or shaking my girls at you to have that noticed.”

“Well, an eye for detail is important with fuinjutsu, and Ero-Sennin certainly does his best to cultivate one's observation skills.”

“Heh. The other two should be here shortly. I'll start giving our damsel medical attention while you watch over us. Once they get here you should have the cover needed to pop yourself and our damsel back into the real world.” She paused as Naruto stepped past her. “By the way, did you ever get that idea of yours working?”

He glanced over at his shoulder at her with a wide grin and formed a Kage Bunshin as he turned back toward the grouped Shadows in the distance. A Persona card appeared before both Narutos. The pseudo-twins grinned at each other and crushed their cards.

“Kurama!”

“Odin!”
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Phht » November 5th, 2012, 1:10 pm

I originally wrote most of this up just after GB:JP Quest was put on hiatus, but then the forums "broke" and it just sat on my hard drive since then. Because you know I love my world building. The following is more or less just copy/pasted from when I was going to originally post it (as its own thread).

The GBJPQuest world building file I made consists of:
  • Timeline (3 pages)
  • "Paranormal International, Inc" (4 pages)
    • Spengler Foundation for the Scientific Exploration of the Paranormal
  • Ghostbusters, Inc
    • Known Equipment
    • Ghostbusters Central
    • Ghostbusters LA
    • Ghostbusters Chicago
    • Ghostbusters London
    • Ghostbusters Tokyo
  • Other Organizations (3 pages)
    • P-COC
    • Watchers Council
In case anyone's wondering, the below is just under 5 full pages in LibreOffice. If people want, I can share the rest of the file, or scoot all this to a new thread, plus the rest of the file. :)

--

So, Echo's put GB:JP Quest on hiatus for the foreseeable future. But I think we can all agree it's a pretty interesting world.

Thus, I'm going to take what I can scour from the thread (I'm pretty sure I missed some stuff in any event), and see if we can't do some world building and open up the idea of doing fics set within the overall GB:JP Quest 'verse. Right now, I think the only area really "time locked" from fic writing would be Ghostbusters Tokyo during/after the events of GB:JP Quest.

First up, the list of Ghostbuster franchises.

Ghostbusters Central
Started: 1984, mostly closed (1995-1997), reopened 1998-
Ghostbusters Headquarters
Canon Sources:
  • Ghostbusters (1984)
  • The Real Ghostbusters
  • Ghostbusters 2 (1989)
  • (Unknown event) (1990)
  • Ghostbusters The Video Game (1991)
  • Ghostbusters: Busting Hell (1992)
  • Ghostbusters Sanctum of Slime (1994)
  • Ghostbusters Extreme (1998-)
Known Staff:
  • Dr. Ray Stanz
  • Dr. Egon Spengler
  • Dr. Winston Zeddemore
  • Dr. Peter Venkman
  • Dr. Kylie Griffin
  • Roland Jackson
  • Garrett Miller
  • Eduardo Rivera
  • Janine Melnitz, secretary
  • Slimer, ghost mascot
Known Vehicles
  • Ecto-1b
    • Super Slammer
  • Ecto-Fire Truck
  • Marine Ecto-8
Ghostbusters Los Angeles
Started: 1991-
Canon Sources:
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer (TV series)
Possible Canon Sources:
  • Angel the Series (TV series)
Known Staff:
  • “Rookie” (from GB:TVG) (1991- )
  • Alan Crendall (1994- )
  • Gabriel Sitter (1994- )
  • Buffy Summers (2000, intern)
  • Faith Lehane (2001-2012)
Ghostbusters Chicago
Started: 1994-
Possible Canon Sources:
  • The Dresden Files (novels)
  • Gunsmith Cats (anime/manga)
Known Staff:
  • Bridgett Gibbons (1994- )
  • Samuel Hazer (1994- )
  • Geoff, driver (1994- )
Known Vehicles:
  • Ecto-4WD
Ghostbusters London
Started: 1998-
Canon Sources:
  • Hellsing (manga)
  • Doctor Who (TV series)
  • Torchwood (TV series)
  • Hellblazer (comic)
  • Read or Die (manga?/novels?/anime)
Known Staff:
  • ???
Known Vehicles:
  • Ecto-Double Decker(?) (double decker version of Ecto-Fire Truck concept)
Ghostbusters Tokyo
Started: 2011-
Canon Sources:
  • Ghostbusters: Japan Quest
  • Hell Girl (dunno?)
  • Fatal Frame (game?)
  • Sailor Moon (manga/anime)
  • YYH (anime)
  • Bleach (manga/anime)
  • PMMM (anime)
  • The Ring (movie)
  • The Grudge (movie)
  • Dark Waters (movie)
  • Persona 3-4 (game)
  • Gargoyles (cartoon)
  • Death Note (manga/anime)
  • The World Ends With You (game)
  • Danny Phantom (cartoon)
  • Inu Yasha (manga/anime)
Known Staff:
  • Michiko, venkman (2011- )
  • Sato Fumihito, lore (2011- )
  • Akira MacFarlane, gearhead (2011- )
  • Suki Kawasagi, tech (2011- )
  • Sana Tamotsu, secretary (2011- )
  • Chyme, ghost mascot (2011- )
Known Vehicles:
  • YOMI-1
    • Super Slammer
  • YOMI-Fire Truck(?)
Time Line
1970s
  • UNIT is formed by the UN.
1984 (Ghostbusters)
  • Ghostbusters formed in New York City
  • Gozer incident
  • Ghostbusters sued by every agency in the city, country, and state of New York.
  • Injunction issued preventing Ghostbusters from performing any paranormal investigation and elimination.
1989 (Ghostbusters 2)
  • Injunction overturned; Ghostbusters resume normal operations.
  • Discovery of mood slime.
  • Ellis Island incident and defeat of Vigo the Carpathian.
  • (Unknown event)
  • Shandor incident (Ghostbusters The Video Game)
    • Additional types of mood slime discovered.
  • P-COC formed.
  • Newly hired rookie ghostbuster leaves Ghostbusters to form Ghostbusters Los Angeles franchise.
    • Original Ghostbusters location now referred to internally as Ghostbusters Central.
  • Hell Girl incident (Ghostbusters: Busting Hell)
  • P-COC LA formed by local government to oversee GBLA activities.
  • Sanctum of Slime incident
  • Two members of the SoS team transfer to GBLA; other two members form Ghostbusters Chicago franchise.
  • P-COC NY reorganizes to a national organization and absorbs P-COC LA. It opens a local branch in Chicago.
  • Due to extremely low PKE levels in New York City, Ghostbusters Central stops normal operations. Management of overall organization continues from the location.
  • Paranormal research foundation formed by Dr Spengler and Dr Stanz.
  • ~Jan – Buffy Summers called as the Slayer.
  • ~Jan-May: events of the Buffy movie occur. Hemery High gym burned down and Buffy is expelled.
  • August: Buffy Summers moves to Sunnydale, California to continue her education.
  • Aug-Dec: Buffy TV season 1 events generally occur.
  • Some time this year, PKE levels rise in New York City to the point Ghostbusters Central resumes normal operations with a newer team. Dr Spengler returns to GBCentral, leaving Dr Stanz in charge of the foundation.
  • Ghostbusters London is formed.
  • Jan-May: Buffy TV season 1 events generally occur.
  • May: Battle with The Master. Kendra Called as next Slayer. Buffy resuscitated by CPR.
  • Aug-Dec: Buffy TV season 2 events generally occur.
  • The Millennium organization invades London and a pitched battle breaks out involving the Millennium forces, Iscariot troops, Hellsing forces, British military, UNIT forces, and others.
  • Jan-May: Buffy TV season 2 events generally occur.
  • Jan: Angel loses his soul. The Judge incident occurs.
  • May: Alcatha incident. Kendra killed. Faith Lehane Called.
  • Following the Alcatha incident, Buffy mom sends her to LA to intern with Ghostbusters LA.
  • Aug-Dec: Events of Buffy TV season 3 generally occur.
  • Jan: Buffy is depowered and put through the Cruciamentum. Buffy cuts ties with the Council following the test and turns to GBLA for help as needed.
  • Jan-May: Events of Buffy TV season 3 generally occur.
    • Following the death of the Deputy Mayor, Buffy's mom convinces Faith to go to GBLA to intern with them.
    • The Watchers team sent to capture Faith ends up in the middle of a media circus when they butt heads with GBLA over possession of Faith.
    • The Watchers Council's international standing takes a bad hit due to the mess, and without control of a Slayer, their problem with being behind the times leaves them as a sad joke.
    • P-COC attempts to seize Faith for themselves but are stopped by representation of Faith by lawyers paid by Xanatos Industries. P-COC takes a drubbing in the media as well.
  • May: Faith and GBLA arrive to assist Buffy against the Mayor's ascension. Angel leaves following the fight to start a detective agency in Los Angeles.
  • Aug: Buffy starts attending UC Sunnydale.
  • Joint P-COC/military project known as the Initiative starts operations in Sunnydale.
  • Aug-Dec: Events of Buffy TV season 4 generally occur.
  • Jan-May: Events of Buffy TV season 4 generally occur.
  • May: Adam defeated. Pentagon shuts down the Initiative project completely.
    • P-COC loses a lot of influence within the US government over the Initiative fiasco. As a result, all attempts to make P-COC a federal agency fail.
    • Numerous national and international organizations (including UNIT, MIB, BPRD, and Xanatos Industries) take action to limit P-COC's authority and power.
  • Aug-Dec: Events of Buffy TV season 5 generally occur.
  • Jan-May: Events of Buffy TV season 5 generally occur.
    • GBLA assists Buffy in defeating Glory and closing the portal. Buffy lives.
  • UNIT's New York Liaison Office begins expanding.
  • Battle of Canary Wharf leaves Torchwood under new leadership. Only 27 Torchwood members stationed at Canary Wharf survive the battle.
  • Fall/Winter: New form of vampires created by chips begin appearing in England. Alucard returns after his disappearance during the Millennium invasion of London.
  • Ghostbusters Tokyo formed.
  • P-COC undergoes minor reorganization and word change within the acronym in pursuit of a new vision as P-COC Japan opens.
  • Nocturne War occurs.
    • Three factions present: Nocturne, led by a shade of Oiwa; P-COC; and Ghostbusters Tokyo plus their allies.
    • Ghostbusters Tokyo weakens several factions within Nocturne
    • Following destiny being wiped out all over during the war, Oiwa is released. GBJP and Hell Girl's forces unite to defeat Oiwa atop the Tokyo Tower.
  • Fallout from the Nocturne War continues.
    • P-COC Japan is dissolved by the Japanese government. Revelations about what P-COC did within Japan during its time in power results in P-COC being mired in legal battles and trials internationally, effectively shutting down the organization. The organization's dissolution is made official within the decade.
      • Among the legal troubles is a long suppressed investigation into a high level P-COC JP member's cover-up of his son's sexual crimes. The implications on what may have happened to conscripted female P-COC personnel under his authority are one of the major nails in P-COC's coffin.
    • Nocturne implodes following the Oiwa incident.
  • As a result of the Nocturne War, the First Evil's prison is weakened enough that it can attempt to take on corporeal form by wiping out the Slayer Line.
--

EDIT: I got thinking about it, and the above isn't really showing much world building (though a good deal of continuity building!), so I'm going to toss up the rest of the stuff for the 'good guys' that I have.

As for why I used Paranormal International, Inc... well, that curse of Gozer follows "Ghostbusters" around as we all know. So after lengthy research that revealed this curse to the group, in an attempt to circumvent the thing they decided that Ghostbusters should be solely for the paranormal investigation/elimination company/division and a different name would be used for the umbrella corporation. And I couldn't think of anything better to use at that point. >.>

(also, allows for a possible post-Buffy-S7 idea regarding the piles of Slayers all over)

Paranormal International, Inc
Created in 1995 to be the overall umbrella corporation for the businesses and other entities formed by the Ghostbusters. As of 2011, it had two divisions – a paranormal research foundation to advance the scientific study of the field, and Ghostbusters, Inc.

Spengler Foundation for the Scientific Exploration of the Paranormal
Started: 1995-
Locations:
  • New York City, New York, USA (1995- )
  • Paris, France (2003- )
  • Tokyo, Japan (2012- )
Following the drop in PKE levels below normal operation minimums, the Ghostbusters at GBCentral looked at other pursuits. While Dr. Peter Venkman moved more into operating the overall Ghostbusters corporation, Dr Egon Spengler decided to start a research organization to provide solid scientific theory and equipment to study the paranormal world, particularly ghosts and similar spirits. Dr Ray Stanz joined him in the work, and took over as primary head when Egon shifted his time back primarily to GBCentral in 1998 when the PKE levels rose again.

Part of the Foundation's effort is to quantify paranormal energies and 'rules', and to design (safe) equipment that can be used to gather scientifically usable data. The Foundation's focus is on paranormal activity regarding ghosts, hauntings, and associated phenomena rather than paranormal activity that falls more in the field of Parapsychology, or extraterrestrial studies. One goal is to create a sufficiently large body of theory and data that can pass peer review in order to open new avenues of scientific study either within existing science disciplines, or the creation of a new branch of interdisciplinary science.

In many respects, the Foundation serves to take the ideas and “mad science” advances pioneered by the Ghostbusters, and refine them into feasible theories and equipment that is factory producible. A number of amateur paranormal investigation groups around the world use equipment released by the Foundation.
Ghostbusters, Inc
Started: 1984-
  • The Ghostbusters, Inc as a multiple location entity and business was not started until the founding of Ghostbusters Los Angeles in 1991, resulting in a slight reorganization.
  • Classed as a C Corporation.
Locations:
  • New York City, New York, USA
  • Los Angeles, California, USA
  • Chicago, Illinois, USA
  • London, England, UK
  • Ota City, Tokyo, Japan
Known Equipment
Proton Pack Mk IIIa-b+ (2011), IV (2012- )
  • designated IIIa-b+ during Nocturne War, adjustments made based on field use and made IV the next year
  • Particle Thrower
    • Blast stream (proton stream, what we see in the movies) (1984- )
    • Boson dart (alt-fire) (1991- )
    • Capture Stream (what's used to get the ghosts into the trap) (1984- )
  • Dark Matter Generator (1991- )
    • Stasis Stream (slows/freezes entities)
    • Shock Blast (alt-fire; shotgun-like blast of dark matter)
  • Plasm Distribution System (Slime thrower Mk II)
    • Slime Blower (1989, 1991- )
    • Slime Tether (alt-fire) (1991- )
    • Slime Net (2011- )
  • Composite Particle System (1991- )
    • Meson Collider (focused, med/long range capable shot, leaves homing point)
    • Overload Pulse (alt-fire; homes in on latest meson collider homing point)
  • Harmonic Resonance Disruptor (2011- )
    • Sonic Shotgun
    • ???
  • Proton Cannister (1998- )
Proton Pistol (1998- )
PKE Meter and Paragoggles (1984- )
Muon Trap (classic trap) (1984- )
Heavy Muon Trap (Extreme Ghostbusters type trap) (1998- )
Protonic Field Disruptors (2011-)
Jumpsuit (1984- )
  • Ecto-Kinetic Absorption Jumpsuit Enhancement (2011- )
  • Mental Memetic Repulsion Device (2011- )
Proton Pack Mk I (1984-1991) (classic movie version)
  • Mk Ia (1991) - Boson Dart system added
Slime Thrower Mk I (1989) (Ghostbusters II - just slime blower system)
Proton Pack Mk II (1991-1998) (Ghostbusters:TVG version proton pack w/ full upgrades)
  • Mk Ib during prototype stage and testing, designated Mk II shortly after the Shandor incident)
Proton Pack Mk III (1998-2012) (Mk II redesigned to include Proton Cannister use along with efficiency/safety improvements)
  • Designated Mk IIg during testing
Phht

Unread postby Phht » November 6th, 2012, 10:31 pm

Okay, I'm bored and I'd rather not listen to election coverage stuff projecting winners when not even half the votes are in for a state, so I'm going to try something.

Namely, I'll upload my GBJP Quest world building stuff, set it to public-ish view, and invite all forum people interested to go look and comment on stuff as I work. :)

Here's the link. It should be set so anyone can view that has the link and can comment, no log-in required.

EDIT: Of course, this is the first time messing with google drive, so there may be hiccups. :futile:

EDIT1: Or try this link if the first doesn't work.

EDIT2: Use the only link I have left. The other one (now removed) goes to a page that just gives you "no preview available". The one I left actually goes to the document.

EDIT3: Okay, stopped working on it.
File consists of:
Time Line
  • Gozer Incident
Paranormal International, Inc
  • Spengler Foundation for the Scientific Exploration of the Paranormal
  • Ghostbusters, Inc
    • Known Vehicles
    • Known Equipment
    • Ghostbusters Franchises
      • Ghostbusters Central
      • Ghostbusters Los Angeles
      • Ghostbusters Chicago
      • Ghostbusters London
      • Ghostbusters Tokyo
Other Organizations
  • P-COC
  • Watchers Council
  • Wolfram & Hart
Phht

Unread postby Phht » November 12th, 2012, 5:17 am

So, I was listening to a pair of 90s series theme songs and this came to me. :innocent:

Part of it is Mass Effect. The other... well, I hope you can guess.
Twelve hours previously...

A section of Virmire burned under nuclear fire in the distant wake of the Normandy, and the Council had already sent a message recalling her to the Citadel for important news. She had the Normandy cruise at sublight, ostentatiously to make sure the heat sinks were emptied in the event the stealth system was required suddenly after the near escape from Sovereign at Virmire. Really, she needed time to think over the situation. The redhead had been tossing a soft foam ball she used for stress relief purposes while debating various courses of action, when the solution hit her. Followed by the tossed foam ball bouncing off her head as she rapidly sat up.

Carmen reached forward to activate the comm system to the cockpit. “Joker, we need to make a quick side trip. Set a course for the Mu Relay once the heat sinks are empty. Be sure to use stealth once we relay into the Terminus Systems.”

“Ma'am? The Council wants us back at the Citadel pretty damn quick. Do we have time to make a side trip to the place they probably want to meet with us over?”

“After the side trip, we'll have plenty of time to have any expedition into the Terminus to the relay be shut down because the Council forgets that we're a lone frigate with the most advanced stealth systems in the galaxy. You see, we're going to-”

Present

Ambassador Udina and Captain Anderson stood in front of the Council in a bit of an emergency meeting regarding the over due status of the SSV Normandy, as it did not take twelve hours to transit back into Council space from Virmire, and there had been no reports of any sort of damage following the Virmire mission. There hadn't even been a “Sorry, distracted checking out some worlds and trying to find a way to actually break a Mako; may likely arrive late” message when it got within an hour or two of the expected arrival time. As the discussion started going in circles, Captain Anderson suggested just calling Shepard up to find out why she hadn't arrived yet. Anderson wished he had his flask of alcohol the moment Commander Shepard spoke up, and mentally cursed at leaving it at the embassy because he didn't think he would need it since Shepard wasn't even on the Citadel yet.

“I'm late to showing up, aren't I? Sorry! I had to make a quick side trip, and I might need a day or two more to figure out where to put what I picked up. It doesn't go well with much of anything, and would stick out if I'm not careful on location.”

A glance to his left showed Udina starting to redden up in preparation to cut loose with a diatribe at Shepard, and the Council themselves were unsure of how to take her excuse. His confusion, unfortunately, vanished into a sinking feeling in his gut as he recalled a memory from years ago.

“Patch Joker into the transmission please.”

Carmen shrugged. “Not sure why you would want him to chime in, but he's on now.”

“Joker, what did she do?”

Joker did not reassure the man. “Um, can I not answer that? Because no one would believe me if I said.”

“Honestly sir, you'd be surprised what one can learn gallivanting across the galaxy working toward one's N7 rating.”

“I recall an incident prior to that part of your training when I was on a bar outing with several N-series Academy candidates that included you, Shepard.” He paused briefly, managing to stop his hand from twitching towards where his flask should have been, before being interrupted.

“Oh man, did you lose a drinking contest with her? I mean, I'm not surprised, since I've seen her drinking multiple krogan under a table in a row. Literally several krogan in drinking contests using containers of their choosing, in a row. I hear she got some sweet gear and training and possibly the loyalty of a krogan clan or two out of that night.”

The captain closed his eyes and tried to ward off the impending headache, while Udina's prepared diatribe vanished under surprised choking noises as the man tried to comprehend what Joker had said. Successfully delaying the headache, he noted the three Council members shocked speechless.

“Luckily, Joker, I was experienced enough not to try my luck. No, I'm thinking of a story she gave on how, as a prank, she stole the Naval Academy Commandant’s bedroom and put it on a boat in the middle of Arcturus Station's artificial lake. Literally, the entire bedroom, walls and all. And then the following evening, stole it from where Alliance engineers moved it while trying to figure out how it was done – the man was asleep in the room at the time, after all – and put it back in place seamlessly.” Anderson's hand grasped at his non-present flask as he asked outright. “Did she steal the Mu Relay?”

Everything sat silent for several seconds, then the Spectre in question spoke up indignantly. “Sir! People make up all kinds of wild stories while drunk, and we were certainly hitting the top quality stuff that night. You couldn't possibly expect-”

“Carmen, you drunk multiple krogan under the table in one night in the time since you became a Spectre. There's no way you could've been drunk enough at any point that particular night that you could've made up a story like that. Besides, the incident was a topic of discussion throughout the Navy for months afterward. The last time I asked about this topic, you managed to side step answering it. I want an actual answer. Now.”

Captain Anderson's only consolation regarding her reply was Udina emitting an indescribable sound before collapsing unconscious to the ground like a sack of potatoes, and the Council's continued inability to comprehend the full measure of what Shepard had done. He failed to stop his hand from repeatedly trying to get his non-present flask.

Four hours previously...

The Normandy glided to a stop in view of one of the galaxy's numerous mass relays. This particular one had been lost to time for thousands of years. Joker checked systems before looking over his shoulder at the ship's CO.

“Okay, ma'am. There's the Mu Relay. No Geth or Reapers around. I've trying to figure out how you managed to save Ash on Virmire after she stayed behind at the nuke, plus what you said over the comm before we headed this way. Seven hours later, I'm still not seeing how we can do anything here. It's kilometers long, and we're less than one-fifty meters long. There's no way we could even nudge this thing, let along steal it.”

“Joker, Joker, Joker.” Carmen Shepard patted him on the shoulder. “Just sit back and let Aunty Sandiego show you kids how it's done."
Her reply:
Shepard pouted. “Fine. I may or may not have known someone in my youth that may or may not at some point held the title of Carmen Sandiego.”
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop