Plot Bunnies, Gnawing on Brain Stem!

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Plot Bunnies, Gnawing on Brain Stem!

Unread postby ShonenHero » April 3rd, 2011, 3:12 pm

So I've had a couple plot bunnies sitting in my head, taking up residency. For sustenance, they feed on my brain cells. I figured since they're getting bigger, it might be time to set the loose or give them up for adoption.

So, um, anyway. I have this plot bunny, inspired by the webcomic Dragon Ball Multiverse. Essentially, two different versions of Vegeta meet in a multiverse tournament. One is Canon Vegeta, the one we're familiar with, and the other is Prince Vegeta. Prince Vegeta still has his posse' of saiyans, including a new member Kakkarot (or Goku as we know him). This Vegeta, with pride and his subjects, managed to beat Frieza and his goons, and actually achieve the level of Super Saiyan... all without ever being humbled by anyone stronger then him.

This is the beginning of something of a oneshot from the basis of that plot bunny, and I figured I'd share. Let me know what you guys think. Criticism is welcome! :D
Spoiler: show
“Well, well. Looks like this tournament is going in my favor after all, and after such a poor following from my subjects…” Prince Vegeta couldn’t restrain the smirk tugging at his mouth, a grim sort of satifaction settling upon him. It truly was appropriate to be facing him, of all people, in this tournament.

“So you believe this to be in your favor, then? Funny, I was thinking the same thing.” Right across from the Prince stood a very similar figure, one who shared not only the Prince’s namesake, but likeness. A fact that neither Vegeta overlooked. However, the Vegeta across from the Prince was different. His outfit, his posture, everything… It was very relaxed, almost sloppy. Something Prince Vegeta frowned at. It reminded him of Frieza, when they fought. Cocky, foolish, completely assured by his own power…

At least, until he'd blown a hole through Frieza a foot wide, and a mile long. No cockiness then. Just a look of shock and fear, eyes glassy and mouth agape. Vegeta had let the blast register for a moment, framing Frieza’s face in his mind so he could savor that look. Then, with child-like ease, the Prince of all Saiyans permanently erased the black mark that had been stamped upon his race for over a century.

Remembering that victory had brought a slighty shiver of giddiness and pride down Prince Vegeta’s spine. He hadn’t lost then, and he knew he wouldn’t now. His legacy wouldn’t allow it.

---

The minute Vegeta laid eyes on the prince, he could see something in him that if he allowed himself to be honest about, admired. There was an intensity in the Prince’s gaze, a look of confidence sprung from a well of a lifetime of self-assurance. This was a Vegeta who had not been broken, a Vegeta who had been affirmed in his pride, not disillusioned. Vegeta could sense the power flowing through the Prince, all too obvious to him who had learned to sense and conceal the potential held within; it was strong. It held all the radiance of a star, unrefined, pure…

But it would not be enough. Not nearly. He could see that now. This power might’ve been able to carry the Prince through the height of the Frost Demon empire’s might, but Vegeta knew if he were ever fight the likes of Buu, like a flame fed on match sticks the Prince would burn hot but all too soon be quickly snuffed out. It was an unfortunate truth that he himself had tried to ignore since his very first defeat by Kakarot’s hand: that in matters of strength, Pride was a double-edged sword. It could grant you immeasurable power, even as it crippled you from using that power to its full potential. If the Prince continued to wield it, he would die by it, realizing too late just how unwieldy and useless it really was. And that would be the end of the Saiyan Race, a foolish cliff note on the pages of the Universe’s history.

Vegeta had just enough pride left in his race to believe that the Saiyan Legacy deserved a better fate, and a more worthy inheritor. He did not want to see this wet-eared, weak-hearted boy drive the very last of it into the ground. He wouldn’t allow it. He would break the boy himself before he’d let something like that happen. And hopefully, in the breaking, the boy would take the pieces of his shattered pride and build himself up to be worthy of the title of ‘Prince’.
Last edited by ShonenHero on August 4th, 2011, 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Re: Plot Bunnies, Gnawing on Brain Stem!

Unread postby ShonenHero » August 4th, 2011, 5:35 am

Been working a bit more on my Dragonball Multiverse oneshot, at the urgings of Psalm of Fire. I think I'm going to update it every once in a while, flesh it out, and see where it goes (you can check the spoiler tag above to see if I've added any new editions, since I don't wanna clutter this thread with extra update post on it). Criticism as always is welcome! :D

Oh, and I have some more plot bunnies in my head sitting somewhere. It's for a DBZ/Superman crossover. Nothing concrete yet, other then Goku and Superman end up switching destinations and points of origin. Ideas so far: Goku vs Darkseid (somewhere in the fight, Goku going Super Saiyan, and the reasons for it not good), Superman fighting Freeza on Namek, a plausible powerup for Superman involving Namek and it's three suns and the method used to gather energy for a Genki Dama, a Superman/Bulma pairing, Goku meeting a Young Bruce Wayne during Bruce Wayne's training tour for the Batman, and them training together for a short time, Raditz fleeing Earth due to Supes strength, Earth becoming occupied by Freeza due to the threat, etc.

So far the ideas are loosely stringed together, but once I bang together an outline I think I'll have something.
ShonenHero

Unread postby jgkitarel » August 9th, 2011, 10:04 am

Your idea for the multiverse and the two Vegetas squaring off is interesting. One thing I noticed about the Saiyan Prince was that while he was, at best, an Anti-Hero on his good days, he never did reach his full potential.

The fact that you mentioned his pride in the context of both is interesting, as the latter was constantly a victim of his own. I take it that the latter Vegeta is the one who finally learned that his pride was his downfall throughout his life.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby ShonenHero » August 9th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Your idea for the multiverse and the two Vegetas squaring off is interesting. One thing I noticed about the Saiyan Prince was that while he was, at best, an Anti-Hero on his good days, he never did reach his full potential.

The fact that you mentioned his pride in the context of both is interesting, as the latter was constantly a victim of his own. I take it that the latter Vegeta is the one who finally learned that his pride was his downfall throughout his life.
Ahaha, not exactly my idea. I credit the idea to a webcomic I've been following, Dragon Ball Multiverse. It's like the DBZ version of Crisis, where some tech-savy, multidimensional-traveling bird people hand pick several different fighters from different universes that have branched off from the Canon continuity in some way, with the motive of having them compete in their Budokai tournament. Lots and lots of For Want of a Nail from the different universes, which contrast interestingly with the Canon universe.

:lurk:

Anyway, yeah that about sums it up. Prince Vegeta managed to achieve Super Saiyan and murder Freeza with his merry band of bloody-thirsty saiyans, and from the looks of it picked up where Freeza left off. His opponent is Canon Vegeta, who if I remember correctly took a severe beating to his pride ad nauseum, and eventually got over it enough that mostly he just competes with Goku for sport, and has sort of transplanted what remaining pride he has into his legacy (his family). Conversely, he's also monstrously strong, still spending most of his life with the ambition to beat Goku outright (he is still Vegeta, after all)
ShonenHero

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop