Plot Help

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Plot Help

Unread postby Vael » April 12th, 2011, 2:59 pm

Okay, there was a plot bunny I threw out to you wolves a while back, and has been slowly growing in my head since then. It's been refueled thanks to me actually finding the crossover, but not the plot I was looking for...I'm not sure if I'm actually gonna start writing this, but it's getting pretty damned close to becoming my first fanfic. That said, check out the plot synopsis and tell me what ya think:

Plot:
Konoha Village is located on Fire Island on the Grand Line and is a bustling Port since its rebuilding from a disaster 13 years before when it was attacked by the Kyuubi Crew, its one-time protectors now corrupted by Uchiha Madara’s Make-Make (Negative) Powers. However, in the end, it was saved by the Pirate Lord and captain of the Kyuubi Crew, Namikaze Minato and his Pika-Pika (Light) Powers. In the fierce battle, he faced off against Madara and his corrupted wife Uzumaki Kushina, with her Chen-Chen (Chains) powers, managing to save the village at the cost of his life and that of his wife, Madara was never seen or heard from again.

Fast forward 13 years, Uzumaki Naruto had grown up an orphan, cursed with his mother’s name and all associations with it. He was hated in the village, except there was one old man who loved him like a grandson he never had as his only son was killed in the attack. Sarutobi Hiruzen was once the captain of the Kyuubi Crew, before he gave up the position to Minato, and he saw Naruto as his responsibility since he was his successor’s son. Everyone in the village knew this fact, that he was the son of their greatest hero and supposed destroyer, but they all considered the child as a curse, a view which only strengthened when Naruto displayed the powers of the Fuu Fuu No Mi, a logia devil fruit which gave Naruto Wind Powers, a fruit he stole from Hiruzen's Vault one night in an effort to graduate from the school thanks to Mizuki's lies.

Naruto tried for years since gaining his powers to act as the Port’s protector, learning how to fight like one of the Kyuubi Crew from Old Sarutobi, but every time he was spurned until he decided to stop trying and just start having fun (at everyone else’s expense). What would have been the greatest protector Konoha Port had ever known became a huge practical joker, the village’s clown.

This changed the moment the Strawhat Crew came to the Port after their Skypiea adventure, and Nico Robin saw a lonely boy struggling to keep a massive fake smile on his face.

Naruto X-Overs so far:
Namikaze Minato - Captain of the Kyuubi Pirates, Pirate Lord, and Bearer of Pika-Pika (Light) Powers
Uzumaki Kushina - Wife of Minato, First Mate of the Kyuubi Pirates, Bearer of Chen-Chen (Chain) Powers
Sarutobi Hiruzen - Former Captain of the Kyuubi Pirates, No Devil Fruit Powers, Currently the Principal of the Village School
Uchiha Madara - An unknown, rumored to be a captain and a part of Monkey D. Dragon's organization, Bearer of Make-Make (Negative) Powers
Kyuubi Crew - A crew of Pirates, permanently disbanded by Sarutobi's Orders after the deaths of Minato and Kushina
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

KH Wiki: The Keyhole
Fairly solid as a resource and rather organized, perfect for newcomers to KH.
Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Parent-site of The Keyhole, a little less organized in my opinion, but goes a little deeper into the mechanics of KH.
Vael

Re: Plot Help

Unread postby leon89 » April 12th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Interesting.

A few things I can think of. First, Fire Island should be part of the WG. next i would see this better suited to happen before sky island or after the Enies lobby, main reason being that directly after the Sky Island ark Going Merry can only make it to the next island, and they would need a new ship. Next issue with the plot bunny is that Naruto isn't the kind of kid to take orders from any one. With the Wind Wind fruit Naruto would be to powerful to be made part of the crew. I would suggest the Clone Clone fruit, basically his power is to make copies of himself. they would behave exactly like shadow clones. Also, I'm 90% certain that Monkey D Dragon is the wind man.

Pika Pika no Me is taken honestly, so Make the Fourth have the Tele Tele Fruit. it give him the power to teleport to whatever he has touched with his hands.

I'll post more of my thoughts later.
Nope
Somebody buried a tornado, and it's trying to escape.
leon89

Unread postby Vael » April 13th, 2011, 7:30 am

I was waiting on more from ya, but I'll do my best to discuss your points, and I have to admit, they're all fairly valid:

Pika-Pika: The time when Minato used the Pika-Pika was a good 13 years before the main story, if I remember, only one devil fruit can exist at a time, so I was playing on that to give some kind of feeling of Legacy in the story. That being Naruto facing off against the bearer of his father's powers. Furthermore, I have yet to see proof of Kizaru's possession of the Pika-Pika before the main timeline, the way he's been freely using his abilities (much more than the other two admirals) does lend itself to thinking Kizaru might have recently received said fruit and its abilities.

Fuu-Fuu: This was a play on Canon Naruto's Jinchuruki status, more than that though, the fruit itself lends itself to a few problems.
1) It's power is directly proportional to the user's focus, as he is, the best he can do at the moment is a fairly strong shove. He won't figure this out until after the Sabaody Arc, there'll hints and clues of course, but nothing concrete.
2) Transforming himself into the element will be all but impossible, his instincts won't allow him to do so since his reconstitution relies again on his focus. Losing his focus while dissipating will lead to his death, where his consciousness would dissipate along with the body and ergo him losing his body and identity. Quite simply, he'll cease to exist. (Funny how all the Logia users we've seen seem to be extremely focused when they're using their powers or otherwise have one-track minds, so I would prolly make this a Rule in the f.f.)
3) Yes, he will have the near-invulnerability, but as a kid, he'll revel in it, he'll love it, he'll make stupid suicidal attacks only to get scott-free, right until the Enies Lobby Arc...he'll be having his preconceptions ripped apart at that point.

Clone Fruit: I get what you're saying, after all Naruto is not Naruto without his shadow clones, and I will keep that in mind, make no mistake about it. The abilities of the Fruit certainly have caught my eye, that's for certain...however, I'm wondering how much it would fit Naruto's persona in this F.F., he has...issues he needs to resolve.

Arcs: Great point, I had figured that having the Island directly enroute to Water 7 would be enough to work that bit out, but having Fire Island elsewhere before Skypeia is fine too. Most of Naruto's Planned Character Growth kicks off after Enies Lobby, so there's no way I'm gonna start after that.

Fire Island WG: That was why Minato became a Pirate Lord in the first place, to make it a part of the World Government, and the Uchiha family from the island is particularly well known for the number of Marines it produces...though Itachi and Madara are both dark sheep of the family.

Discipline: Again, you are right, Naruto won't take orders from anyone...however, I believe the same could have once been said of most of the Strawhats before they joined the crew, and it's prolly still the case, but Luffy's got his (unconscious) Haki on his side. Of course, he will get a front row sit to what could happen if he doesn't do what is said, courtesy of Water 7.
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Parent-site of The Keyhole, a little less organized in my opinion, but goes a little deeper into the mechanics of KH.
Vael

Unread postby leon89 » April 13th, 2011, 11:10 am

Okay, sorry about that. I honestly stopped thinking about it.

Arcs: This is by far the most Important right here. Note that the Anime had a filler Island between Skypiea and Water 7. The plot was the ship and crew fell directly into the harbor of the middle of the marine base G8. So setting the story then is workable.

Pika-Pika: Ok, I will give you the fact that he has never been seen with his powers before the series, but again it is said that it takes 50 years for a fruit to reappear in the world. Really only Oda knows how long it takes for a DF to reappear. I would rather avoid the gray area and make my own fruit. I call it the Su Su no Mi: Allows the user to teleport to where ever they have touched with their hands. This IMO is closer to what Minato's 'yellow flash' ability, but it is your story.

Fu Fu vs Clone Clone(Wai Wai no Mi): For me this has less to do with what power Naruto actually has, and more to do with how powerful he is. There is an unwritten rule that no one joining the crew can be more powerful then Luffy. and Oda has stated that Ossopp will always be weakest of the bunch. If Naruto has Fu Fu no Mi he really has no reason to join the crew/subordinate himself to Luffy. He would be more likely to start up his own crew. So really he would need something else rather than a Logia, and a cloning ability just feels right. If you feel that he needs something more, don't forget about Haki.

Fire Island and the WG: I was trying to say that the Fire Island should a nation in the WG. Which would make the Konoha pirates the Konoha Navy, armed forces of Fire Island. So Minato was the head of the Military, but Kushina was a pirate, which would make the hate of Naruto make more sense. Is one way to look at it. but still doen't give a good reason why Naruto would want to join the crew.

Actual Plot: Chunin exams, Minus the Chunin Exams. Orochimaru and Sound Pirates, with the help of Wind Island, have decided to invade Fire Island. The SH crew get caught up in the middle of things.
Nope
leon89

Unread postby Vael » April 13th, 2011, 8:18 pm

*blinks*

Never thought of those options to be honest with ya, well now, I think I may have some really solid ideas to work off of now.

=================================================

Arc: Haven't watched the Anime yet, I might when I get more time, so for now, it's all manga-only.

Minato's Ability: *nods* Good point, usually I would run with the grey areas, but then again, it's also landed me into quite a bit of trouble in terms of destroyed key plot points. The Su Su no Mi seems the better option.

Naruto: Right again, guess I got carried away with his wind affinity and ninjutsu. I'm gonna need to rethink a few things regarding his fighting style. Wai Wai no Mi huh? Kinda sounds catchy ^^

WG: Ah! So this is what you meant! Figuring out Minato's rank is gonna be a little troublesome, but very doable...I'm startin' to think that maybe Naruto's fighting style might be the basics of Rokushiki, or at least a MASSIVE bastardization of such *shrugs*

Actual Plot: *smirks* I just realized that I really can't rely on a number of things anymore.

======================================
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Vael

Unread postby leon89 » April 13th, 2011, 9:10 pm

I just has a flash of brilliance.

The Elemental Isles are a group of (relatively) tight-knit Islands. Each Island is home to a group of master warriors, that are generally at war with the other Islands. There are Five greater Islands, Fire, Wind, Water, Stone, and Lighting Islands, with several minor islands under each. The major Islands are considered their own nation under the WG. Their is a silent agreement between the WG and the Elemental Isles, that the WG does not interfere with inter-island disputes, and the Elemental Islands will not attack other nations under the rule of WG. Minato was the leader of the Fire Island. Kushina was a pirate. I think get the idea.

Note: I am assuming you are moving the cast of Naruto over to One Piece universe without bringing any mechanics for Naruto. Such as Ninjutsu, and Genjutsu. Though fear not, many ninja tricks (walk on water, and tree climbing) can be explained by a mastery of Haki.

PS: Both of the fruit names are real Japanese onomonopia, Su Su is the sound of something appearing out of thin air. and Wai Wai is based on Wai Wai Wai, or the sound of a large crowed.
Nope
leon89

Unread postby Vael » April 14th, 2011, 4:23 am

Yes, I am doing just that, but I'm transferring very specific characters to the One Piece universe, enough to give hints of Naruto whilst keeping the whole thing One Piece, the rest are gonna be expies, take the Bijuu, they're all going to be Powerful Pirate crews that are collectively called the Akatsuki Fleet (except the Kyuubi crew, they disbanded after the death of their captain and disappearance of Madara).

The other Elemental Countries have expies already present, like Wind Country and Alabasta, Water Country with Drum Country, and so on...

In regards to the Chakra Tricks, Wall Walking and the such, I have a few ideas, but it's all based off of Naruto's Bastardization of Rokushiki (Uzumaki Shiki (?)), so instead of jumping off of the air itself like in Geppo, he finds that he can induce a weak vacuum between his foot and a surface, allowing him to temporarily stick to that surface, or in the case of water walking, he finds himself running across water...again temporary due to his inherit weakness to water in the first place.

*blinks*

Well now, looks like Naruto's still got his moves after all =3

Oh, the only proper Rokushiki Technique he has at the moment is Soru, even then it isn't mastered.
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Vael

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop