Attack of the 40 foot Plunny! - Naruto Harem done right?

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Attack of the 40 foot Plunny! - Naruto Harem done right?

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 1st, 2011, 10:58 pm

- gman391: No, you have to do a harem.

- Psalm of Fire: Uhhhhhg. Could be a platonic harem (with anko kinking it out now and then for her own kicks), and I could almost write it.

- gman391: So how would you set it up?

- Psalm Of Fire: I... think I would set up a situation where Naruto can use his Speach-no-jutsu, inspiring Yuugao in her time of mourning.
- Yuugao is fascinated by what he said and wants to talk to him about it again.
- As she asks "where did you learn that" naruto can sight his life experience.
- This strikes a sympathy cord with Yuugao, and she starts learning about his life.

- Psalm Of Fire: And then he mentions something that's wrong in his life (he's not saying it like that, he's just making an off comment and she regonizes it as wrong), something that she could help fix.

- gman391: Okay that gets them together I assume something similar for Kurenai
- but what about Anko?

- Psalm Of Fire: I'm getting htere.
- So she decides to meet with him later, because she has to go, and offers to buy him ramen.
- He's all for it.
- She tries to help him, then asks him advice for something else in her life, just curious how someone like him would answer.
- After a week or two Anko notices this older woman sharing a freindship with a younger boy, and the "demon vessel" on top.
- Kinky, she thinks, and so she decides to investigate secretly.
- Because she suspicious of them doing naughty things (she would think that way) that's what she's looking for, but can't find it.
- So she secretly goes about setting up situations more and more perposterous that would encourage them to "act out" the naughty feelings she's convinced is the foundation of the relationship.

- gman391: Hmm interesting

- Psalm Of Fire: Yuugao and Naruto get very embarrassed, but never do anything.

- gman391: Anko you crazy snake woman

- Psalm Of Fire: It pisses Anko off, so she decides to crash one of their dinners.
- She asks Yuugao why she's doing it, and she's like "he's got some really good advice. Go ahead, give him a situation and see his advice".
- Anko does and she hears Naruto spew his optimism.
- Anko's all negative and condicending "you have no clue how the world works" and Naruto gets pissed and tells her off.
- gman391: Hmm all in character so far good job

- Psalm Of Fire: Inside, however, she really whished life was like Naruto said, that passion and work would pay off. She terrified of that hope, pushes it away and doesn't even recognize it's existance.

- gman391: Sad

- Psalm Of Fire: I know, right?
- See, vulnerable.

- gman391: but believable

- Psalm Of Fire: But well hidden.

- gman391: Obviously

- Psalm Of Fire: She doesn't get Yuugao hanging out with him still, and that hope unconciously draws her back to their hang outs.
- She's very critical of herself after she realizes it's the hope.
- What a fool I'm being, she thinks, he's just a brat.
- Anko and Naruto get into escallating verbal spats over stuff like this.
- Finally she just tells Naruto he can try to do this thing or that, but it won't result in anything good, that it's all wasted effort. It doesn't matter in the end.
- So Naruto sets out to do just the thing she described to prove her wrong.
- Anko is still afraid of that hope, doesn't want to feel the pain it brings.

- gman391: And succeeds because he's Naruto

- Psalm Of Fire: When Naruto starts succeeding she's determine to prove the "success" is false, that it colapses, and she begins activly fighting against Naruto and his success, trying to break it like her life was broken.
- It get's to the point that she's terrified for him, for him to become as broken (or more) that she was when she learned all these hard lessons.
- There's nothing left to do but prove what a bastard the world can be, how horrible people are.
- So she betrays him.
- Like she was betrayed.

- gman391: And being the stubborn idiot he is Naruto forgives

- Psalm Of Fire: Hm, not a bad idea...
- I think he's just convinced she's wrong, like the whole village is wrong, and it will be all okay once she gets it.
- It's more of excusing (you've got your facts messed up so you're acting messed up) that legit forgiveness, but very similar.
- He's encountered so much emotional pain in his life that the betray doesn't have near the impact Anko thinks it should.
- This is where she starts to realize "wow, he knows his crap" as in, he knows how hard and bitter life is, but he still has the optomistic force of nature in him.
- However, before that, things are escalating.
- Anko and Kurenai are friends (fanon, not canon) and Kurenai sees her acting more and more irrational in this matter when she hears stuff about it.

- gman391: Hmm and goes to ask what the hell is going on

- Psalm Of Fire: Then she's out trying to find what Anko is doing, to talk about the extremes she's going to and push for temperance.
- She finds Yuugao crying and screaming at Anko and Naruto with a death scowl just looking away.

- gman391: Those moments are never great to walk in on

- Psalm Of Fire: :) Heh heh heh, not in real life.
- She steps in and learns about the fight and about Naruto's life, and hears Naruto at his angriest.
- She thinks both Anko and Naruto need a calming force, and Yuugao is not emotionally up to it.
- She doesn't really want to involve herself, so her conclusion is to try and smooth things over and generally keep the two seperated.

- gman391: Yugao is emotionally traumitized up the wazoo
- so is Naruto and Anko come to think of it

- Psalm Of Fire: Exactly, she is the one needing the help mostly, not giving.

- gman391: And Kurenai slowly gets pulled in because she doesn't get what has Anko so pissed off?

- Psalm Of Fire: So Kurenai and Anko avoid Naruto (and some by extension, Yuugao) for a while.
- Naruto's words keep circling in Anko's mind though.

- gman391: Which would probably be the arc words for the fic

- Psalm Of Fire: Huh?

- gman391: Oh just thinking of what the words would be going through her head it'd probably be the theme or arc words for the fic

- Psalm Of Fire: Anko wakes up crying with those words and that dream of acceptance and change floating in her head. It's the first time since she was a teenager that she's cryed.
- Ah, I see.
- What would those words be?

- gman391: Hmmm off the top of my head?
- I have survived I have survived through faith, through love and through hope

- Psalm Of Fire: Mm, that's a real good start.
- So she waked Kurenai up in the middle of the night / early morning to go on a drinking bender.
- Kurenai doesn't drink much, but Anko starts by hitting in hard.

- gman391: isn't her fanon version a borderline alchoholic?

- Psalm of Fire: Or hard-core alchaholic.

- gman391: I have survived the betrayls, the loneliness and the darkness. Because of those three things
- and I will never surrender them

- Psalm Of Fire: Oo, I like.
- I think I will save this convo...

- gman391: indeed

- Psalm Of Fire: Kurenai want to know what happens. As soon as Anko admits she was crying, Kurenai has a short BSOD because that should NEVER happen.
- Then she demands to know the reason.

- gman391: He survived and stayed a good person
- Anko knows that she is not

- Psalm Of Fire: Anko tells her to F*** off, and that escalated until Kurenai beats it out of Anko (an itneresting scene, and Anko has Kurenai previously vow to never use genjutsu on her, becasue "my reality is F***** up enough as it is, I don't need someone F******* it up more. I'll kill you if you do"

- Psalm Of Fire: That's a good point.
- Isn't two lines of conversation fun?!
- : P
- Well, Kurenai's not so much afraid of anko, but is respecting it, so they end up brawling it out.
- Anko looses because she is drunk.
- And her heart can't stay in it.

- gman391: How? How is he so much stronger than me?

- Psalm Of Fire: Yeah, that's good.

- gman391: I'm seeing Anko sobbing that into Kurenai's shoulder

- Psalm Of Fire: So, in just two or three lines, she says that Naruto stirred up some hope in her, and for that, anko will never forgive the little B******. Kurenai realizes it has to do with hope and orochimaru's betray, and the general sense of reject Anko as faced.
- Anko is already hating naruto also because Naruto seems so good, so obviously the source of this new hope stirring is going to end up hating and rejecting her too.

- gman391: Hmmm from there either have Naruto enter in a contrived fashion. Or have Kurenai ask if she thinks Naruto would really do that

- Psalm Of Fire: Kurenai susses this out and want to go talk to Naruto right then.

- gman391: That works too. BRB

- Psalm Of Fire: K, I'll just continue until you get back.
-It is early in the morning, though, and she's afraid she has been a poor judge of character, again (bad dating history when she was younger, she swore off guys for several years, but is now interested in Asuma)
- So she decides to wait and puts Anko back in her house (she wants to use a jutsu to put her asleep, but resists even if her friend will suffer more).
- As Anko is trying to sleep she cries some more, and then passes out.

- The next day Kurenai is thinking about it.
- She's afraid for her friend, that she will be rejected.
- So she considers just placing it all behind them.
- Avoid Naruto like the plague, and letting it all die down and let Anko get her equalibrium back.
- But if Naruto can help Anko, well, Kurenai feels an obligation.
- And, with her thoughts of a relationship with Asuma, she's still not convinced men can survive puberty and still be people she wants to be with.

- Naruto, however, seems like a genuinely good guy, even as she's afraid he's not.
- So she decides to talk to Yuugao, to learn if he would end up rejecting Anko after all this too, and to maybe have her faith restored in the opposite sex.
-Her and Yuugao have deep chat, and Kurenai is convinced this is exactly what Anko needs.
- So she sets up a "drinking night" with Anko, let's her get a little liquired up, and then has Naruto show up.

- Anko starts freaking out on him, threatening to kill him, and trying very hard not to cry.
- Then Naruto does his thing, both yelling at her and accepting her.
- And she hears those words she longs fore.
- They come in a different package, but they mean acceptance and friendship and that he cares what happens to her.

- She breaks down totally sobbing and they leave the place for an abandoned alley.
- In that hard setting, a place where drugs maybe happened, lifes may have been ruined, a place that feels alone and lost, Anko finds acceptance, Yuugao finally gets her own hope for the future (there is still good to come, you haven't lived the best of it and it's all down hill from here, and you are a person worthy of a good future), and Anko realizes that there are men of compassion and upstanding.
- Then, Yuugao tells Naruto "thanks".

- gman391: Oh I like that set up

- Psalm Of Fire: Thanks!
- Naruto doesn't get it.
- He's just yelling at people and being him, though he's gotten more passonate about it than he usually is.
- She explains a bit how much he's ment to her through her rough time and then hugs him.
- He doesn't really get its a hug at first, and then he realizes it because he's seen others do it, and the Hokage hugged him a couple times when he was really young.
- Naruto kind of blacks out.
- All his life people have hated him because he was just him.

- gman391: I don't think a full black out. A daze though

- Psalm Of Fire: Oh yeah, not uncious.
- His world perspective is just doing a reboot
- After so many years of hate, Naruto wonders if somehow they were right, that he deserved the hate.
- He decided to say "screw them" and go for the one thing no one could deny, being hokage.
- But then he wondered if they were just accepting him because of a title, not because he actually was something worthy of respect.
- What if it's all fake?

- gman391: I dunno about this track.

- Psalm Of Fire: As soon as he's not hokage, he's worthless?
- But here someone is.
- He's changed their life.
- For the better.
- And they're thanking him.

- gman391: I'm thinking Iruka's acceptance and Sarutobi's would prevent that mindset from happening

- Psalm Of Fire: Hm, that's true.
- I'll have to alter it in that light.

- gman391: I can see him blanking because he's never had a hug before

- Psalm Of Fire: What if Iruka and the Old Man were the only one who could like him, because they were special.
- What if everyone else would always hate him? he thinks.
- Even if he held the title of Hoakge, it would be grudging if they did at all.
- But here was another person. One is an accident, two is a coincidence.
- Is three a pattern?

- gman391: What about Hinata's speech at before the Neji fight then?

- Psalm Of Fire: I was thinking this was before the chuunin exams, between wave and Kakashi's anouncement.

- gman391: Okay

- Psalm Of Fire: He finally feels he's done something powerfully good. This isn't symathy either, this is something that HE'S done, not something that's been done to him.

- gman391: nvm then

- Psalm Of Fire: It's a confirmation: I am not a monster.
- (thanks for making sure it all lines up, good questions man, keep them comming)

- gman391: Something he would desperately need because of the Wave fight

- Psalm Of Fire: He always knew it, but it felt so good to _know_ it.
- Oh yeah, that's true!

- gman391: but if this is before the exams how does Hayate die?

- Psalm Of Fire: Oh yeah...
- That's a problem.

- gman391: Did his disease just kick into overdrive?

- Psalm Of Fire: Heh he heh.
- Yeah, that could work.

- gman391: Actually that works better because Yugao doesn't have anyone to channel her anger at

- Psalm Of Fire: Yeah, taht's a very good point.
- Let me finish this ending while I have it in my head and then we'll straighten that out.
- So he starts hugging Yuugao back, squeezing her tight, almost like a life bouy
- He start crying.
- The words cycle over and over in his head, "thanks, you saved me" (from depression) and he start squeezing her not as desperately, but with enthusiasm.
- A big grin split's his face. "You bet, nee-chan!"
- His voice is a bit rough from all the emotion.
- Kurenai admits that he's restored some faith for her, that she can have a hope at romance, that she wont have to marry some man she despises on one level or another.
- "What's she still crying about?" Naruto says, pointing at Anko.

- gman391: Group hug?

- Psalm Of Fire: Anko throws a stone at him.
- "Stupid gaki."
- Naruto doesn't learn the full extent of the hope he'd given to Anko, the healing done in her soul, until much later.
- But each of them, whether from comfort (yuugao), hope (anko), or a show of courage (Kurenai's earned respect), now have a special place in their heart for him.
- And he has at least three votes for Hokage.
- "But he's still got a hell of a long way to go," anko snarks.
- Roll credits.
- Is that a good ending in your opinion?

- gman391: Yeah it does.[/spoiler]

I decided to move this year, since it didn't really belong in topic about stories not going anywhere. It's definitely going somewhere.

Chapter 1
Spoiler: show
Thunder and Sun

A great thunderhead stood on the south skies. A flash, and then a roar swept across the forest. Leaves stirred. The target would not escape, come rain or the roar of wind through the forest to cover him. But Hayate would have to leave part of the job in his squadmates' hands: the rain was not something he could fight with a kunai, his sickness not something he could shrug off or burn away with a jutsu.

Aoba, still using his sunglasses despite the fading evening light, signalled to move forward. Through the trees a particular spot of grass peaked, the spot where the informat was supposed to meet. The man had been an agent for leaf, and he knew some very important -- if incomplete -- information on the daimyo's military deployments and Konoha's boarder patrols. Tonight he planned to sell it all away to Iwa. This team was deployed for capture, or if they must, takedown. Hayate scanned the area and jumped on tree closer to the meeting point.

"Tag!" Raido shouted. Three explosions rocked the forest. A great tree groaned. Hayate leaped away as it crashed and slid down the side of his tree, branches exploding every direction. He landed and tucked down, avoiding a large branch flying through where his head would have been. While the sticks still flied he stuck his head up and his swpet the endless rows of trunks for their attackers and to check his squadmates. Genma was crouched in another tree, toothpick in hand, ready as a weapon. Raido pushed on awkward bulge in his leg, setting the broken bone and holding it in place with chakra. Aoba slammed his palm into the ground. Summoning lines shot out, releasing his crow swarm: cover from unfriendly eyes. They began swirling around the Konoha nin, dodging and weaving to distract enemies.

A puff of smoke caught Hayate's eyes. Then another, and another. The crows de-summoned if they strayed too far out of the swirl, not how the jutsu was supposed to work. Several more vanished a puff of smoke.

"There's a sphere barrier -- it's killing the crows!" Aoba shouted, another thunderstrike cutting his sentence in two. The trees were blowing fifty feet away, but nearby the wind was dead.

Genma made a shadow clone of his toothpick and launched it where the barrier was supposed to be. It burst at the same point.

A crow swooped toward Aoba, then several, then many, all cawing. Aoba slashed his hand and all the summons vanished. "Hold your breath, the barrier is filling with poison," he said.

Hayate had much experience controlling his lungs. He sucked in a breath and held it, directing chakra the region. Most barriers didn't travel underground, especially ones designed for holding air. Hayate knew his Earth Style, his second affinity, was not up to snuff yet. At least, for combat. For escape from a seal, he could manage. He cursed the trap in his mind and formed the hand seals, then pressed his palm into the earth. A hole opened up, descending at an angle toward the edge of the barrier. Hayate waved for his squadmates to join him.

Aoba supported Raido and brought him over. Genma took the lead, following down the tunnel. Aoba and Raido began down, then a shout echoed up. Hayate cringed, it sounded painful. He switched seals and stomped the ground, the chakra and vibrations providing feedback on the consistency of the ground. There were soft paths, some small, some big, underneath, and something that felt like flesh. Badger summons.

Hayate switched jutsu. The ground grabbed genma and pulled him away from a badger. The grass spat him out several yards away. He had a nasty slash down his neck and across his collarbone. Hayate considered sealing off his tunnel, but hopefully a badger summon would die from the poison. And the badgers could pop up anywhere if they wanted. He repeated the sensing earth jutsu, stomping a foot again. He counted the badgers -- twelve waited, spares underneath the barrier to leave no openings.

Iwa had to be responsible. Either the meeting location was a misdirect or they estimated that Konoha had learned of the turncoat and prepared accordingly. Which meant the turncoat could be nearby, or he could have already escaped.

Genma walked to his bleeding comrade (conserving oxygen) and began sealing the wounds with a quick and dirty medical jutsu. Hayate signalled no escape downward to Aoba.

Aoba, keeping his movements to a minimum to save oxygen, signaled many jutsu against barrier, and he raised his shoulders in question.

We might be able to overwhelm the barrier, Hiyate thought. But maybe not. He cursed himself for letting his fuuinjutsu knowledge slack. If he had studied like he though Konoha nin should, he would probably know how to break this. As it was now, though, they had only a few minutes of air for trial and error -- if his teammate could keep up with him. His cough had given him plenty of practice in lung control that they likely lacked.

They'd only tested the barrier with small things so far -- toothpicks and crows -- so maybe something more substantial could make the difference. Hayate drew his sword and moved toward where he knew the barrier to be.

Then he remembered Raido's shout: Raido only had a minute of air left, at most.

Hiyate tossed a shuriken. It hit the barrier with a whisp of smoke and fell to the ground. Hiyate glanced at it; one of the tips had been shorted. So the barrier could damage normal metal. It took a lot of energy to do that. Good. A smart barrier would only use it's energy to keep objects with in, not pointlessly burn the metal. It could be overwhelmed, because it was wasteful.

Hiyate drew his sword back for a thrust and channeled chakra into it. A large man landed infront of him, on the other side of the barrier, a Iwa headband tied across his bulging bicep. "Where do you think you're going," he said in a shockingly high voice; Hayate had to keep himself from laughing.

The man slapped his hands together into a Snake seal. A dome of earth shot up to trap Hayate. He leaped back from the edge of barrier. One seal? This guy knows his earth-style. He landed in a tree and waved for his squadmates to get off the ground.

The man changed to a Boar and back to a Snake; the ground at the base of Hayate's tree became soft, like tilled soil. The tree began tipping. Hayate leaped free, aiming for a tree at the edge of the barrier. There some branches stuck through -- the seal must have been designed to not damage what is already there when it activates, only prevent new stuff from moving through. Perhaps it would be weaker where branches poked out. He landed, grounded his feet with chakra, and thrust his sword into the open air.

The air crackled and smoke rose from his sword. Hiyate could feel the drain of chakra to keeping his sword intact.

Aoba looked to the crackling, and seeing Hiyate, formed a fire jutsu. He blast it against the barrier. Genma swiftly joined the effort, throwing a kunai at the sky and duplicating it into thousands. Their puffs filled the sky until they had a ninja-smoke roof. The roar of the flame and the crackling of the barrier almost drowned out the nearing thunder. With a bright flash the barrier failed and wind swept their smoke roof into fleeing strands.

Twenty shuriken shot from Genma toward the Iwa shinobi. Hiyate doubted Aoba could bring out his crows again courtesy of the poison. He jumped down from the tree, placing thr trunk between him and the enemy shinobi. He scanned for additional targets, and, finding none, created three shadow clones and searched for Raito. Raito was bent over a knee, panting, facial scar hidden. He wasn't bleeding any more, but he hadn't helped overwhelm the barrier and he didn't look good. Poison. They needed to win, and fast. He signaled Aoba to provide a distraction, and one of his clones stepped out, sword at the ready.

Aoba leaped into the air and blasted another impressive fire jutsu, aimed so the easiest way to escape would place the enemy close to Hiyate. The Iwa shinobi brought a stone dome up around himself instead, protecting him for a moment from both Genma and Aoba's attacks. Aoba released the fire jutsu, conserving chakra. It wasn't uncommon for an Earth Style user to hide and pop up from another location, putting them all on their toes ready to leap.

The dome split apart, and the halves launched outward, one crashing into a tree and the other sliding to a stop. The shinobi stood in the middle, arms outstretched. He shouted and slapped his hands together. Several hunks of stone from half tore loose and shot at Genma, intent to crush him in the middle. Genma launch into the air, a bit slow thanks to his busted leg. But he was good with Chakra, Hiyate trusted Genma could play a support role and keep himself intact.

Hayate's clone charged the Iwa nin, leading with tagged kunai to prevent a counter-jutsu. Even as the Iwa nin threw himself aside, dodging the blast, the ground stretched up into a great spike where Genma would land. Genma twisted in the air, moving his torso from impaling on the spike. Hayate could see the rough landing comming, and willed Genma to get his feet under him. But more importantly, the Iwa nin hadn't even made a seal: that spike was someone else's jutsu.

The enemy nin could have made a clone and sent it underground to help. If Hayate used the earth sensing technique he could know, but it would give away his actual. And in order to shape that spike right the clone would have to see Genma's trajectory, so the user was above ground. So far there had been no sign of other ninja -- solo work was rare, so it was more likely the other Iwa nin were waiting around somewhere or were escorting the turncoat to Iwagakure.

Genma landed hard on his injured leg, the bone pushed out of alignment, giving his leg a funny bend. All of the hiding Hayate's winced. The soil under Genma turned and a great pair of dirty badger claws shot out. Genma whipped out a kunai and met them. He saved being gored, but hte force of the badger-claw overwhelmed his other leg and he fell to his back. The badger head popped from the soil and it shoved it's claws at the downed Genma. Aoba raced to his aid.

"Charge him," he ordered his shadow clones, indicating the Iwa nin. Not the way he normally executed the Cresent Moon attack, but they would get the job done. Aoba would to handle the badgers, he needed to focus on the source of the problem. He launched himself up the trunk, but paused not high off the ground. The moment his clones started the attack he launched from tree to tree toward the crumbled half-dome of stone. The other half was still intact, and as such, Hayate could see that it was empty. The crumbled half, though...

Hayate leaped and drove his sword downward, silent. His sword fit down and crack and stabbed something soft. He heard a breath slip from a pair of lungs. Hayate twisted his sword a quarter turn, and what he stabbed suddenly became hard. Earth clone, he concluded, and likely the source of the spike: the clone was made when the Iwa nin hid in the dome, and he launched the stone apart so the clone could hide inside and not suffer any of the attacks the actual nin drew. The clone could peek through the cracks of the rubble, and tweak the ground at critical points in the battle, providing his maker with his own back..

Hayate withdrew his sword and glance to his own clones. The Iwa nin punched one out, and took a nasty slash from the second. The third clone fell on him from above. The Iwa nin barely slapped the sword aside and caught the clone around the neck with his other hand. A hard squeeze dispersed it. Hayate was down to one clone keeping the original busy.

The snapping of bones sounded from behind him. Hayate spun around. The giant Iwa nin stood behind him, arms now limp, but Hayate imagined that not a moment ago they were posed to crush him. The nin's limp body hung by the head from Raito's hands, twisted at a horrible angle. The good, old fashioned, chakra enhance neck snap. Raito was pale, his eyes lolled and his breathing came ragged. Hayate noticed the "nin" his shadow clone was fighting turned into a pile of stone. Raito dropped the corpse, and then fell on top of it, unable to stand. Genma would have given the standard antidote mix, but it obviously wasn't helping Raito. Not a surprise, to be honest; "exotic poisons" really weren't that hard to come by in a ninja village with vested interest in obtaining them.

So, though the cuts down his neck were closed, Raito needed medical attention for the poison; Genma could still manage a support role; and with the chakra drain of the fight Hayate knew he had to get out of the rain. Aoba and Genma would have to continue the mission. The wind blew, as if affirming his thoughts.

"Thanks for the save," Hayate said to Raito's wheezing form. "Looks like I can already return the favor." He carefully lifted Raito and set him across his shoulders, and closed the distance to where Genma again set his leg with little more than a grimace. Hayate tried not to cringe -- if Genma could manage the actual pain with so little reaction, Hayate should take the thought of it with a straight face.

He landed next to Aoba and his coughing got the best of him, turning into a fit. Aoba spoke his thoughts for him, however.

"You need to take him back, we'll finish the mission. I'll release my reserve crows to search the region. Hopefully we can catch them before they reach the mountains."

Hayate nodded through his coughs. Aoba offered Genma a hand. Genma stood gingerly, but before they could race off Hayate held his hand up for them to wait. He used a little chakra to overcome the coughing fit and extracted a particular spherical pill. He pushed into into Genma's palm. "A mild chakra pill and pain reliever," he explained in a halting way to keep from starting his cough again.

Genma nodded, but just pushed it into a pocket for use later. Stubborn ox. Hayate shook his head, and with the "all clear" signal they took off in opposite directions.

Even with the wind at his back the wind whistled past his ears as he raced. And while the wind may be helping him, it also pushed the thunder clouds closer. Hayate squinted to keep his eyes from drying and reminded himself to ask Aoba about those glasses. The thunder rocked behind him, spurring him on.

--

Rain roared against the canopy, and every step would be dangerous if not for chakra. His reserves thinned. The light was almost gone under the leaves, until lightening glistened off a thousand soaked branches. Hayate ran along the ground, lest he misjudge a jump in the dark. He almost coughed. Already his throat was more sore than normal. He pushed the third of his chakra pills into his mouth and focused on his route, his speed.

Raito would not die on his shoulders.

Anko Betrays

Previously Naruto has loved on his plants and thought that maybe Anko would be another precious person too, after all, Yuugao is.

Anko wakes Naruto up by wrapping him in snakes. The snakes lift him up, give him a good view. Anko turns on the harsh flourescent light and begins to verbally degrade him. Then she takes out a kunai and begins tracing cuts into the plants. (Slice, slice slice. She scarred another. Naruto looked away. These plants, they'd been there with him when no other living thing had. He'd cried holding them before. He'd even tried to hug cactus-chan! slice.) Then she throws all the plants and their pots in a bucket, uses a jutsu to crush the pots, and slices like mad. She taunts him about being a monster, about the people the Kyuubi killed. Then she says he hasn't even got a clue about betrayal yet. Naruto challanges her, they get into a word fight, and she derides him more saying he deserves it all. Then she throws the bucket of all Naruto's dead friends into his face. "You still haven't got a clue. Real betrayal, it hurts a hundred times more." And she lights the appartment on fire whith him in and walks out.

The fire pops one snake and Naruto manages to break free of the other. He charges out after her, finding her strolling away from his apparentment complex. He growles at her, telling her that she doesn't have a clue. "Maybe you'll get it," anko says and nearly appears behind him. Snakes wrap him again. He powerless and they begin squeezing the life out of him. But before he can suffer too long Anko throws a knockout punch to his face. His neck snaps to the side, the light goes out of his eyes, and then they turn red with Kyuubi slits. Chakra and killing intent start boiling up and Naruto's eyes lock on to her. She summons more holding snakes and he begins to break free.

"See, I told you you were a monster."

And she vanishes, and Naruto is left trying to get his senses back and suppress the Kyuubi, and deal with the accusations.
Last edited by Psalm Of Fire on May 4th, 2011, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Re: Attack of the 40 foot Plunny! - Naruto Harem done right?

Unread postby Farmer_10 » May 4th, 2011, 1:51 pm

You could make the setup a bit less depressing and just have Yuugao start cracking under the pressure of her rank. That sorta thing generally messes up any relationship you may have.

And that little snippet at the end? Dark. Not my cuppa tea, but nicely done nonetheless.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 4th, 2011, 2:13 pm

Oh wow. Okay, I didn't know if anyone was actually going to read it all.

Yeah, I tend to like my stories both very dark and very light. Earn your happy ending kind of stuff. That said, I usually despise stories that end too darkly.

I'm curious, why is something like that scene not your cup of tea? I like things to get bad in a story before they get good, likely because some extremely dark stuff has happened to me. Seeing characters go through similarly bad stuff and overcome it is... well, it's an emotional release. A victory like I'm working toward and want to see in my life.

If you don't mind me asking, why do you think the very-dark-very-light mix isn't your style?

*Clears throat* Uh, this was written about a year ago, and I've done a lot of training and practice in that time. So if it fails on any of the writing articles I'm dropping in this writing section, just know it's because I've learned since then.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Farmer_10 » May 4th, 2011, 3:42 pm

Relax bro, it's not a criticism on you. I'm a bit of an emotional lightweight and anything too heavy generally makes me squeemish. Especially when it's not as simple as bad guy A making demoralizing speech to innocent love interest 1. I also understand that you can't have a good story with everything being explosions and make-out sessions. What you wrote up there is textbook Heavy emotional conflict. That it made me squeemish and call it dark means it did its job.

And how's this for the inspirational arc words: If life has to be a bitch, make it your bitch.......okay not really.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 4th, 2011, 4:30 pm

I didn't see which he said his criticism, farmer10, :D. Thanks for the explanation.

Also, you made me laugh so loud my family was all looking over at me.
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop