Ready, Set, Stop! - Opening a Scene

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Ready, Set, Stop! - Opening a Scene

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 4th, 2011, 3:28 am

I'll be honest, I don't have a lot of mental space for reading fan fiction -- all that space is filled up with other author tasks.

So when I open a fanfiction and see the first sentence looks something like this: "Naruto and Sasuke had walked along the path to team 7's meeting place", I drop it in an instant.

What's wrong with that sentence, it's perfectly functional!

Two things: 1) usually the author begins a dissertation on what the characters had done, everything before the scene starts, apparently to set it up, and 2) it's not interesting.

Before We talk about exactly what the sentence is failing at, let's look at a good example. This is from "Spying no Jutsu" by daniel-gudman.
Tsunade sighed, and leaned back in her chair and rubbed her forehead.

Iruka scrupulously looked the other way.

"We're boned, aren't we?" Tsunade said.

"Er... yes, Hokage-sama.:
This is not the only way to open the story. But instantly we have conflict: "what is the Hokage worried about?" and then "why are they boned!". It also has humor -- again, not necessary but certainly aides in the initial capture of your audience.

Another way to open a scene is powerful description. If you can paint a conflict in the description, that will help immensely. For instance:
Light pierced through the window and cast harsh shadows and the room. The curtains stirred, a feeling more ominous than gentle. They became still again, as if afraid to draw attention.

In the far shadows of the room figure stirred. Danzou shifted against his restraints, and blinked against the sunlight.

"Danzou, my friend," an old voice cracked. Sarutobi stepped into the sunlight. Black shadows pooled in his whethered face, casting it in harsh relief. It matched his harsh expression far too well.

Danzou began surveying his options, his bargaining chips.

Sarutobi leaned forward. "It's over."
Here we set up a tense atmosphere, and bring it back again when Sarutobi steps into the light. It really provides a flavor to the scene beyond just the action occuring. Not all opening descriptions has to be suspenseful, but I would advise against starting a story with one that's not.

And, if you cut away from a suspenseful scene to some non-suspenseful description, many of your readers are going to be pissed. It can come across as self-indulgent -- they don't care about how good the Sakura trees look, they care that Naruto is being attacked by Orochimaru or Harry is running from dementors.

An opening of a scene has a few things it needs to do:

1) Establish Viewpoint (excepting single-POV 1st person and omincient 3rd person perspectives)
2) Give the reader a reason to care
3) Give the location and time

It doesn't need to do them swiftly, except number 2. Suspense, some beautiful description, some relatable situation, or a place where they can cheer for the hero, all these things give the reader a reason to care. In fact, it's a good question to ask your self for each scene: why should the reader care about this? If you can't answer that, its time to put that scene on the either the chopping block or the anvil.

This post is called Ready, Set, Stop! because so many inexperienced authors use passive starts. Let's take a look at passive voiced scene, a slow but important one (no doubt).
Naruto had told Sakura he had had enough. She had gone off on him, telling him he didn't know how bad it had hurt. But Naruto had hurt when Sasuke betrayed, too. It had torn him up – and it still tore stuff inside. He hadn't known how to say it at the time, but somehow Naruto had still gotten it across: she wasn't the only one hurting!

Well, maybe he hadn't. She had told him "just go." Her voice, all quiet like that, it hurt worse than stomachache. He tried to do something to help, but she had just repeated herself.

So now Naruto walked along the leaf strewn path. His feet didn't seem interested in taking him home. He could have been home an hour ago. But he was glad he wasn't, he needed to think about stuff.

Kakashi dropped from a tree nearby, startling Naruto. "Hey," he said with a casual wave. Naruto glared at him. He couldnt' help it, Kakashi had lied. Things weren't like they were before, never would be. Naruto looked away, and blanked his face as best he could.
Here we have a conflict packed premise for the start of the scene. Naruto is reflecting on an argument he had with Sakura after Sasuke's betrayal, and its still hurting. Even with a good subject matter, it still all passive voice.

Let's turn it into active.

Conversion
When turning a passive sentence into an active sentence you have to convert the focus of the sentence. One of the tools to help you do this is to ask "what is a sentence saying"? Let's look at the second sentence: She I had gone off on him, telling him he didn't know how bad it had hurt. But Naruto had hurt when Sasuke betrayed, too.

In this case, it's saying that Naruto was hurting. There's more information in there, but that's the key reason why Naruto is still thinking about these things, or is thinking about them in light he is. In fact, that's what most of it is saying. So how can we communicate this in an active way?

Let's show Naruto-kun in pain. And what does a hurting person look like? He could clentch his fist, or stare at something he normally thinks is beautiful and not even recognize it, or run his hands through his hair.

If you can, it’s best to focus on the largest conflict immediately.
Naruto aimed a harsh kick at a stone by the path. He let anger on his face that moment. The stone zipped away, and Naruto's eyes followed it. He shoved the anger away and hid it from his face.

But the feelings came back up, like a bad dinner. Her words stung again; 'you don’t know how bad it hurts, what it’s like!'

Yeah, he did. Naruto didn't know why, but her saying that stung a lot. Sasuke's betrayal still tore stuff up in his chest -- and she thought it didn't hurt! Like Sasuke didn’t mean something to him? As if he would be just as thirsty for vengeance if he actually cared?

Naruto marched down the path pointing nowhere toward home. He needed the air though.

Just go, her words drifted back. Just go. He hated the tears on her face when she had said that...

Naruto growled. Maybe he didn’t need all this quiet. He clenched his jaw and continue his march. Wind stirred up leaves. One swatted him in the face. He snatched it away from his face and crushed it, throwing it aside. The motion felt good, helps, just a little bit.

Another swirl and Kakashi-sensei appeared, one eye resting on Naruto.

“Why are teams so hard!” Naruto blurted.

“Well...” Kakashi said and stowed Icha Icha . “They aren’t always.” He scratched the back if his head. “Only the great ones, I guess?”
Did you feel like you were there with him? Did one sentence seem to flow into the next, creating a stream to pull you along? Did it feel more like an experience, rather than a report?

Look at your opening three paragraphs of your story, or for any particular scene that feels slow. Highlight the passive verbs ("had, were, was"). If you have more than one in three paragraphs you probably have too many. Passive verbs don't give the reader anything to see, anything to feel, anything to smell, touch, or taste. There's nothing to visualize. At best, it's an after-action report.

A scene that starts with a focus on dialogue, suspense, or beautiful description (an active, beautiful description) has the reader in action before they even know it. Removing passive sentences will take the "molasses" from your prose. For many readers, instead of being an effort to get to the next sentenc,e it will happen naturally as a result from active writing.

With an active start, you will find you story swifter and more involving. Ready, set, go, instead of ready, set stop.

Thoughts or discussion?
Last edited by Psalm Of Fire on May 5th, 2011, 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Re: Ready, Set, Stop! - Opening a Scene

Unread postby Phht » May 4th, 2011, 6:25 am

So when I open a fan fiction and see the first sentence looks something like this: "Naruto and Sasuke had walked along the path to team 7's meanting place", a drop it in an instant.
I can't help but point out that you misspelled "meeting" (oh, and an "a" where you meant "I"). Sure, it has nothing to do with how functional the sentence is, but until I got further down the post I thought the misspelling was part of the reason you dropped it. And you did "She I had gone off on him" in one of your later examples and I don't think you meant to have the "I" in there.

Other than that nitpicking, you raise good points. I'll read over it again after I get some sleep. And probably take a look at the two plot bunnies I expanded on with this post in mind.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 4th, 2011, 12:20 pm

I'm using a voice-to-text program, and that late at night I guess my checking of its work wasn't very thorough. I'll get right on that.

I'm glad it's helpful. Also, having some sleep, I'm going to make sure it makes sense. Might fill it out a bit more, too.

EDIT: Did the edit, :D. Hopefully its more clear.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby leon89 » May 6th, 2011, 12:23 am

Eh, I've decided to rewrite the intro to on of my snippets i've had in my head

Disclamer, it has not been prof read, and if you guys like it, I think i might continue it.

"I will not fail this a third time!" The young pink haired teen whispered strongly to himself, ignoring the laughter that his second batched attempt had brought from his peers behind him, he shrugged his dark cape back revealing more of his white button up, dark pants, and old rusted sword strapped to his left hip. He then raised up both of his arms in front of himself, a wand in his right hand. He looked back to the balding, dark robed, staff wielding man, known has Professor Colbert. As if to ask Can I?. The professor offered a reassuring smile, nodded his head, and gestured with his staff to go ahead, in reply to his student's silent question. Said student replied with a reserved, but thankful smile before turning back to face the cratered earth to his front. Taking a deep breath, steeling himself, he tapped into his magic ready to ram more power into the recasting of the spell, but a rattling from his left hip followed by a loud shout of "Partner! Wait!" forced the young teen to relaxed, ignoring the sounds of disappointment from behind him, and focused on his left hip. "What is it Derf?" He asked annoyed his spell had been interrupted.

The sword known as Derf had pulled itself partially out of its scabbard and was how using its guard as a mouth and stated simply stated "Good luck partner."

The young teen smiled at that, knowing that the blade was rarely sincere about anything. He looked up and raised up his arms to cast again, ignoring the sounds of anticipation behind himself as well. He took a deep but was interrupted by a shout of "Louis!" from his hip, caused him to unleash a bit of power, blowing up another clump of grass. He ignored it, normally the now named Louis would have shoved the sword back into its scabbard for interrupting him a second time during such an important spell casting, but the use of his name for the first time since he had found the 6000 year old sentient sword in a city weapons shop of all places, had frozen Louis in surprise.

"Louis," the sword had continued "If this doesn't work and all...." the swords 'mouth' rattled side to side in contemplation "I-I wouldn't mind if you formed the contract with me." Derf finished seriously.

"Wait!" Louis' mouth dropped open "That's actually possible!?"

"Yes, I just remembered" Derf replied "I am alive after all"

Louis didn't know what to say. He just beamed, basking in the warmth that had filled his heart. He didn't know what got the normally rude and quirky sword in such a sentimental mood, but never before was he so thankful for nearly blowing off his hands along with his old sword when he had filled the blade with his magic. He brought his arms back up, confident that he could do this "I wouldn't want to kiss Derf, now would it!" Louis said to himself.

"Hey!"

"Shut it!" The sword finally sank back down into its scabbard.

Louise let loose his magic, started weaving his wand taking a deep breath and then shouted out in as commanding as a tone as he could "My name is Louis Jacques le Blanc de la Vallière. Pentagon of the five elemental power, Heed my summoning... and bring forth...my familiar!!!" At his command the end of his was began to glow with a bright white light, and it continued to grow brighter and brighter until in a final flash of light a glowing blue ellipse of light, with a pentagram in the center, sat floating at the end of his wand. "What is this?" he asked to no one as he turn his wand to the side and reached out and using his thumb and index finger to hold his wand, he touched the ellipse with his last three finger. He was quickly jerked off of his feet and sucked into the darkness on the other side of the ellipse. He then realized:

He

Had

Failed
Nope
Somebody buried a tornado, and it's trying to escape.
leon89

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 6th, 2011, 11:05 am

This indicates a suggestion for removal.
This indicates what I'm focusing on in a comment following.
(This is a comment or edit)
"I will not fail this a third time!" The young pink haired teen (who's perspective is this from? Would he think of himself this way?) whispered strongly to himself, ignoring the laughter that his second batched (botched?) attempt had brought from his peers behind him, (period) he shrugged his dark cape back revealing more of his white button up, dark pants, and old rusted sword strapped to his left hip (I love that last fact). He then raised upboth ofhis arms in front of himself (I suggest using "before him", less words, same meaning) , a wand in his right hand. He looked back to the balding, dark robed, staff wielding man, known has Professor Colbert. (comma?)As if to ask Can I?. The professor offered a reassuring smile, nodded his head, and gestured with his staff to go ahead,in reply to his student's silent question. Said student (Calls attention to the language of the sentence, the narrator, instead of what's happening [aka it gets in the way of the storytelling]) replied with a reserved, but thankful smile before turning (and turned) back to face the cratered earth to his front. Taking a deep breath, (and) steeling himself, he tapped into his magic (period, this sentence becomes a run on) ready (He prepared) to ram more power into the recasting of the spell, but a rattling from his left hip followed by a loud shout of "Partner! Wait!" forced the young teen to relaxed, (period) ignoring the sounds of disappointment from behind him, and (he) focused on his left hip. (New Paragraph("What is it Derf?" He asked (comma) annoyed his spell had been interrupted.

The sword known as Derf had pulled itself partially out of its scabbard and was how using its guard as a mouth and stated simply stated "Good luck partner." (Convert to active, break into two sentences.)

The young teen (the Blond Haired Ninja has a Syndrome) smiled at that, knowing that the blade was rarely sincere about anything. He looked up and raised up his arms to cast again, ignoring (shutting out) the sounds of anticipation behind himself as well. He took a deep (breath period) but was interrupted by a shout of (New paragraph) "Louis!" (a shout came) from his hip,(period) caused him to unleash a bit of power, blowing up another clump of grass (I'd recommend turning this sentence into something more like this: "A little power slipped from his control. A flash of light from his wand sent another piece sod into the air." You tell us why and how events happen, but we need something to visualize, hear, or smell). He ignored it, normally (he comma) the now named Louis (comma) would have shoved the sword back into its scabbard for interrupting him a second time during such an important spell casting (again dash it was important spell casting after all dash), but the use of his name for the first time since he had found the 6000 year old sentient sword in a city weapons shop of all places, had frozen Louis in surprise. (A bit of a run-on, break it down)

"Louis," the sword hadcontinued "If this doesn't work and all...." the swords 'mouth' rattled (rattled? Huh?) side to side in contemplation "I-I wouldn't mind if you formed the contract with me. (comma)" Derf finished seriously.

"Wait!" Louis' mouth dropped open "That's actually possible!?"

"Yes, I just remembered" Derf replied "I am alive after all(period)"

Louis didn't know what to say. (Show us what looks like -- maybe gaping, a blink before he beams, or scratching his head) He just beamed, basking in the warmth that had filled his heart. He didn't know what got the normally rude and quirky sword in such a sentimental mood, but never before was he so thankful for nearly blowing off his hands along with his old sword when he had filled the blade with his magic (I don't quite understand what you mean). He brought his arms back up, confident that he could do this (what does that look like? A smile spreading across his lips, determination lighting his eyes?) "I wouldn't want to kiss Derf, now would it (don't you mean "I"?)!" Louis said to himself.

"Hey!"

"Shut it!" (New Paragraph)The sword finally sank back down into its scabbard.

Louise let loose his magic (what does that feel like?), started weaving his wand taking a deep breath and then shouted out in as commanding as a tone as he could (A bit of a run-on) "My name is Louis Jacques le Blanc de la Vallière. Pentagon of the five elemental power, Heed my summoning... and bring forth...my familiar!!!" At his command the end of his was (wand) began to glow with a bright (comma) white light, and it continued to grow brighter and brighter until in a final flash of light a glowing blue ellipse of light, with a pentagram in the center, sat floating at the end of his wand. (Run-on, break it into two) (New Paragraph)"What is this?" he asked to no one as he turn his wand to the side (period) and(He) reached out(comma) and using his thumb and index finger to hold his wand, he touched the ellipse with his last three finger. He was quickly jerked off of his feet (period) and sucked into the darkness on the other side of the ellipse. He then realized:

(You need to say somewhere before he touches the symbol something like this: Darkness formed on the other side of the magic symbol. Otherwise we're like "what? What darkness?")

He

Had

Failed

(Is he being sucked through a dimention or into the pits of hell? How can he think that while that's happening? I think you should give us one sentence about what is happening to him after he got sucked in, unless you mean to write "As magics pulled his body, he realized" so that it's happening while he's being sucked in.)
We've got a lot of interesting action, and the basic shape of a good, heart-felt moment. I don't know if this character is likable or not yet (he hasn't done something worthy of admiration), so I'm not cheering for him thus far.

You're on the right track.

I'd suggest making those edits and re-read the scene. See how it flows. If you don't like the changes once you've done that, discard them. I am not hear to take stylistic control.
Last edited by Psalm Of Fire on May 6th, 2011, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby leon89 » May 6th, 2011, 11:09 am

Thank you for the reply, Psalm. I will look through all of your edit, and when I am done, I am moving this to a new topic.

Edit: Got to the first point of the Blond Haired Ninja has a Syndrome, the reason I was using The young teen, was because I was trying to tell that portion of the story without using his name. Do you have any better ideas? Other then going back and naming Louis.
Nope
Somebody buried a tornado, and it's trying to escape.
leon89

Unread postby Lthayer3 » May 6th, 2011, 12:16 pm

The basic summary of "passive = bad, active = good" is one thing that my assorted English teachers drilled into me over the years. While passive verbs are perfectly good words, they shouldn't have much of a place in any piece professional writing outside of speaking/thinking parts. Even technical papers sound better if a writer takes the time (and has a good enough grasp of the English language) to weed out as many passive verbs as possible.

Out of curiosity, I did a quick check of some present and past tense passive verbs in the first chapters of ten randomly selected fics that I particularly liked. There were just a few cases where 'had' appeared outside a spoken part, one for 'has', and none for 'was' or 'is'. I don't even consciously notice particular things like that, but I'm sure they play a large part in how quickly I'll drop a story.

I pretty much entirely agree with what you said, with one amendment:

Scenes that start with a beautiful description need to include a character that the reader is familiar with or will become familiar with in the description itself. Some stories that look wonderfully written and have a great summary unfortunately start off with the most boring introductory paragraph possible: a description of the scenery either without any people or with only nameless ones. I don't care about the wind, or the birds, how Konoha looks in the morning light, or what the crowds in the marketplace are doing, or how many adjectives the author can force into a paragraph. Some of these starts can have plenty of action, and even some dialogue, and still not engage me at all.

And if the first paragraph of a story bores me, I'm not going to read the second, no matter how perfect the grammar may have been.
Lthayer3

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » May 6th, 2011, 1:11 pm

Thank you for the reply, Psalm. I will look through all of your edit, and when I am done, I am moving this to a new topic.

Edit: Got to the first point of the Blond Haired Ninja has a Syndrome, the reason I was using The young teen, was because I was trying to tell that portion of the story without using his name. Do you have any better ideas? Other then going back and naming Louis.
Just name him. There's no point in playing coy unless revealing the name will have an impact (and even then you should always stick to he/she, and reveal the character before the end of the first chapter).
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 6th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Quote is right.

There is a time where starting with a title can work -- but it always has to be a title the perspective character would give himself.
A proud man stood before pooling blood. The blood of his daughter. Blood he could have prevented. How proud he had been. What a fool.

Jacob fell to his knees and cluched at the floor. "I'm sorry" he choaked.

He wept.
In this example "a proud man" is what he's realizing he is. What he's thinking about at that moment.

"Pink haired boy" is probably not something Louis would be thinking of at the moment, unless he's being self conscious about it. In which case you need to have him adjusting a hat to cover it better, or throwing his shoulders back and thinking they're fools to judge a man by his hair.

--
Out of curiosity, I did a quick check of some present and past tense passive verbs in the first chapters of ten randomly selected fics that I particularly liked. There were just a few cases where 'had' appeared outside a spoken part, one for 'has', and none for 'was' or 'is'. I don't even consciously notice particular things like that, but I'm sure they play a large part in how quickly I'll drop a story.
That's fascinating! What a cool operation!
And if the first paragraph of a story bores me, I'm not going to read the second, no matter how perfect the grammar may have been.
So true.

--
Scenes that start with a beautiful description need to include a character that the reader is familiar with or will become familiar with in the description itself. Some stories that look wonderfully written and have a great summary unfortunately start off with the most boring introductory paragraph possible: a description of the scenery either without any people or with only nameless ones. I don't care about the wind, or the birds, how Konoha looks in the morning light, or what the crowds in the marketplace are doing, or how many adjectives the author can force into a paragraph. Some of these starts can have plenty of action, and even some dialogue, and still not engage me at all.
Ah yes, that is a concern that was on my mind. I agree. Let me fill out that detail a bit:

Basically, if you want to start a story with description, you better rock at description or you're going to automatically lose at least half your audience.

Starting a scene with it is less risky business, but again, you risk losing audience. Why? Because description gives us no reason to care for the things describe. If you're able to set a tone and a mood that really draws in a reader, you're giving them promises "this book will make you feel this way". But many people just describe pretty things, or things they invented, rather than creating that emotion and atmosphere.

These concerns are doubly true in fanfiction: everyone is here because of the characters. They want to see their favorite characters, and see them in interesting conflict (or total Mary Sue fantasy fulfillment, but since the fandom is not lacking for those stories, we don't need explain how to write that.) So when a reader clicks on a story to read it, they're asking "will I see the characters I love in interesting conflicts?" If you start with description, your answer is "Eh, we'll get around to that. Maybe. But what you love isn't near as cool as the fact that I can describe a dusty street! Watch me describe a dusty street for a few minutes."

In other word, NOT what they wanted to hear. That is why I suggest never starting a fan fic with description. Start with character and conflict.

--

To illustrate my point about starting with description, I'd like to try writing some story openings this way, you guys tell me whether it draws you in or no.
A shallow stream rushed, a steady den in the dead of night. Glowing blue fish flitted back and forth by the thousands. Their light caught on moss and grass and the undersides of leaves. As one approached the the stream, many had claimed it looked like something from the beyond. Like energy -- of, perhaps, life it self -- coursing through heart of the wilderness. Like veins across the landscape when seen from the sky.

Near a shallow pool, where the water turned back on itself and stilled, a creature of blackened skin and heavy breath drank. The fish nearby lost their light. Its eyes shone a hateful red.
Sulfurous gases rose from roiling pits, burning the lungs of those who strayed near. A punishment for their audacity. Stay in your lines, do your work.

Hundreds did. Men bent over, scarred and burned. The shrieking of chained monsters kept them to their tasks. The clinking of their metal work joined the shrieks echoed, filling the cavern's high walls with their chaotic beat.

And then the chained creatures silenced. Cowered.

The stone above heaved, and with an ear-splitting boom, cracked. Men threw up their hands as if it could save them from a collapsing mountain. Their labor ceased and silence came, save for the roiling pits. But, as the cracks widened, nothing fell, not even the pebbles and dust formed from the splitting stone.

The cracks widened further and the stone flew up, away from the huddled slaves. Sunlight poured in. Men shouted and covered their eyes against it.

"Vengeance has come!" a voice boomed from above. And then fire poured from the hole in the cave, bolts of fire that sought every goblin who carried a whip or key. Their animal screams filled the cave.

A figure hovered at the mouth of the hole. He thrust his arms outward, and the nearest stone crumbled and shot away. The blast widened the hole until sky filled the eyes of the men below. Sky that they had never seen.
Did it draw?
Last edited by Psalm Of Fire on May 7th, 2011, 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » May 6th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Actually, yes, yes it did. But the grammar was painful to read.
Water rushed in a shallow stream. In the dead of night, blue glowing fish flitted back and forth by the thousands, their light catching on blades of grass and the undersides of leaves. Many claimed that as one approached the the stream, it looked like something from the beyond. Like energy, perhaps of life itself, coursing through the heart of the wilderness.
Near a shallow pool where the water turned back on itself and stilled, a creature with blackened skin and heavy breath drank. The fish nearby lost their light as its eyes shone a hateful red.
Sulfurous gases rose from roiling pits, burning the lungs of any who breathed nearby. In spite of this, hundreds did, men bent over and scarred and burned. The shrieking of chained monsters kept them to their tasks.
And then the chained creatures silenced. Cowered.
The stone above heaved, and with an ear-splitting boom, cracked. Men threw up their hands, as if that could save them from a collapsing mountain, and the endless labor ceased. But as the cracks widened, nothing fell, not even dust or pebbles.
The crack widened further and then the stone flew up, away from the huddling slaves. Sunlight poured in, and many yelled and covered their eyes against it.
"Vengeance has come!" a voice boomed from above, and fire poured from the hole - bolts of fire that sought every goblin who carried a whip or key. Their animal screams filled the cave.
A figure hovered at the mouth of the hole. He thrust his arms outward, and the nearest stone crumbled and shot away. The blast widened the hole until sky filled the eyes of the men below, the sky that they had never seen.
Ah, much better.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 6th, 2011, 6:44 pm

The joys of un-edited story. I should have given them a look over, sorry about that. Thank you Aldraia.

Some of what you removed was narrative tone, though. I'll go edit the post, though, so others need not suffer so. I take it you're not a fan of the artistically incomplete sentence? (Though I did overdo it.)

Just curious, why did you remove the double line spacing?

If you would, give it a re-read now and tell me anything that you catch that I've missed -- I've worked hard to improve in all areas of grammar, but it used to be my worst aspect. I want to make sure I don't keep any bad habits.
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » May 7th, 2011, 6:43 am

I admit that I removed some things simply because I was completely unable to parse them - I had no way to tell what they meant and thus could not reword them to be clearer.
Double line spacing annoys me; I consider it pointless page-stretching that makes me have to scroll more unnecessarily.
I am of the opinion that breaking the rules of grammar creatively is a risky proposition, something to do only if you are very, very good at using them correctly.
That said, the new versions are much improved.

Rather than "Blue, glowing fish" I would say "Glowing blue fish".
The phrase "As one approached the stream, many had claimed" feels immensely awkward to me, which is why I rewrote it the way I did in my last post.
If you want to keep the wording "of maybe life itself" I would suggest putting commas around "maybe" - "of, maybe, life itself".
The "like veins" breaks up the flow, seemingly to no purpose; I would suggest removing it or, if you must have it, adding it into the previous sentence: "...through the heart of the wilderness, like veins." Or possibly, "Like veins of energy - of, maybe, life itself - coursing through the heart of the wilderness." Ending on "wilderness" seems more powerful than ending on "veins" to me.

The phrase "turned to chaos in the cavern" is confusing; it means nothing to me, especially when applied to a sound.
I think that "There labor" should be "Their labor".
I think it should be "save for the roiling pits" rather than "all but the roiling pits", because "silence - all but the roiling pits" does not really make sense. It implies that "roiling pits" are somehow part of "silence".
The sentence "Not dust, or pebbles," just hurts to read. Maybe try mixing it into the previous sentence: "But as the cracks widened, nothing fell, neither dust nor pebbles."
"Cracked" is a past tense verb and an adjective, not a noun. The noun form is "crack". "The cracked" without a noun for "cracked" to modify is simply not correct grammar and leaves me looking for a noun - "The cracked what?"
The "no" in "no, bolts of fire" seems unnecessary. It makes the story seem to be from a certain character's viewpoint where before it was not, leaving me wondering whose perspective we have entered.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 7th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Double line spacing annoys me; I consider it pointless page-stretching that makes me have to scroll more unnecessarily.
Ah, I see. Makes sense. I personally find single line spacing extremely hard to read without an indent, but prefer it to double line spacing if there is an indent.
I am of the opinion that breaking the rules of grammar creatively is a risky proposition, something to do only if you are very, very good at using them correctly.
I don't write omniscient voice very often, so I just channeled my inner story voice (instead of a character voice). Which resulted in a lot of incomplete sentences that needed to be trimmed, so it's not like I should listen to the thing entirely. I guess I'm saying that it was speaking, more than writing. Because if I verbally narrated that to you, I'm sure the incomplete sentences would be a whole lot less awkward, since they're a common part of speech.

But since this isn't an auditory medium... ; )
That said, the new versions are much improved.
:D
Rather than "Blue, glowing fish" I would say "Glowing blue fish".
Yeah. If you say it outloud, "Blue, glowing fish" comes off the tongue easier. I didn't realize that was the reason I kept it yesterday, but now knowing I have to agree: starting with glowing makes it a lot easier to visualize (and starts with the more interesting descriptor first, which is pretty key). I'll change it.
The phrase "As one approached the stream, many had claimed" feels immensely awkward to me, which is why I rewrote it the way I did in my last post.
If you want to keep the wording "of maybe life itself" I would suggest putting commas around "maybe" - "of, maybe, life itself
My verbal story-teller voice likes the delivery, but now with a night's sleep distance from the creation I see how both of those are quite awkward in a written medium. Thanks for detailing it.
The "like veins" breaks up the flow, seemingly to no purpose; I would suggest removing it or, if you must have it, adding it into the previous sentence: "...through the heart of the wilderness, like veins." Or possibly, "Like veins of energy - of, maybe, life itself - coursing through the heart of the wilderness." Ending on "wilderness" seems more powerful than ending on "veins" to me.
It was a tip-of-the-hat to the significance of these rivers. I'd envisioned them helping sustain -- magically speaking -- some of the magical flora and fauna. I thought ending on it, and giving it it's own sentence would make people take the analogy of "like veins" more literally, which ties importantly into the consumption of the blackened monster.

I take it that didn't come across?
The phrase "turned to chaos in the cavern" is confusing; it means nothing to me, especially when applied to a sound.
Maybe I can get your help on this one: Normally sound helps us identify the locations of things. But with all the sounds and snarling in an echoy cavern, it's a head-ache inducing mess. It would probably be a terrible thing to hear. How might I communicate that? Do I need to mention the echo's, or would it be better to drop it entirely, in your opinion?
I think that "There labor" should be "Their labor".
I think it should be "save for the roiling pits" rather than "all but the roiling pits", because "silence - all but the roiling pits" does not really make sense.
Yes, of course. And the language of "save for" sounds more fitting and elegant.
The sentence "Not dust, or pebbles," just hurts to read. Maybe try mixing it into the previous sentence: "But as the cracks widened, nothing fell, neither dust nor pebbles."
Hm. I'll have to think on that. Not disregarding you suggestions, but more for curiosity's sake, how does "Not even the dust or pebbles" sound?
"Cracked" is a past tense verb and an adjective, not a noun. The noun form is "crack". "The cracked" without a noun for "cracked" to modify is simply not correct grammar and leaves me looking for a noun - "The cracked what?"
Typo :XD:
The "no" in "no, bolts of fire" seems unnecessary. It makes the story seem to be from a certain character's viewpoint where before it was not, leaving me wondering whose perspective we have entered.
That is an extremely good catch. It's supposed to be omniscient, not limited or narrator. Thanks for getting that perspective slip.

Nice work Aldraia. I appreciate it. I'll edit the post.

As for the rest of the forumites reading, 1 is not a consensus or a proper sample size. (I am not compliment fishing, if it makes you feel any better, rather, testing the theory.) I'll assume you agree with her unless stated otherwise.
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » May 7th, 2011, 2:50 pm

The flow would quite likely come off far differently in spoken form. Spoken words come at a set rate and people are less likely to go back and listen to that particular segment again, whereas reading comes at the rate the reader chooses and people often reread a sentence if something seems off about it. Because of this, errors in written form are far more noticeable and placing each word precisely is of greater importance.
Now that you say it, I can see what you were trying to convey with "Like veins," but from the description alone it was not clear at all. It took me this long to realize the main reason why: veins themselves do not flow, but only serve as vessels through which blood flows. I would suggest adding the analogy to the previous sentence rather than making it a separate phrase: "Like energy - perhaps of life itself - coursing through the heart of the wilderness like blood through veins."
Ahh, now I see what you meant by "chaos". The new version is clearer, but instead of "The clinking of their metal work joined the shrieks echoed, filling the cavern's high walls with their chaotic beat," I would say, "The clinking of metal against the cavern's high walls echoed and clashed with the shrieks, filling the cavern with a chaotic cacophony that seemed to come from all directions."
"Not even the dust or pebbles" would make more sense if dust and pebbles had been previously mentioned, since it would then be referring specifically to that dust and those pebbles. In this case, "Not even dust or pebbles" would work better.
Last edited by Aldraia Dragonsong on May 7th, 2011, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 7th, 2011, 3:39 pm

This has been fun, thanks!
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop