Leon's Red Pills - Story #1

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Leon's Red Pills - Story #1

Unread postby leon89 » May 9th, 2011, 1:11 am

I have had this bunny since joining space battles. The basic premise it is based in the Zero no Tsukaima world and is where Louise summons a male version of herself named Louis. I have decided to turn it into an actual story.

I make no promises about the initial quality of the snippets I post. This is my first fic, and I have virtually no background in writing. I can only promise that I will do my best and listen to your advice and comments. Thanks Psalm, for correcting my English.

Now let's get on with this thing..

Louis the Explosion
By: Leon89

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snippet I
Spoiler: show
"I will not fail this a third time!" Louis Vallière whispered to himself, as he scratched his chin length pink hair, with his left hand, in frustration. Ignoring the laughter that his second botched attempt had brought from his peers behind him. He shrugged his dark cape back revealing more of his frilly white button up, simple black pants, and old rusted sword strapped to his left hip. He brought both of his arms before him , a wand in his right hand. He looked back to the balding, dark robed, staff wielding man, known has Professor Colbert, As if to ask 'Can I?'. The professor offered a reassuring smile, nodded his head, and gestured with his staff to go ahead. The young teen replied with a reserved, but thankful smile and turned back to face the cratered earth to his front. Taking a deep breath and steeling himself, he tapped into his magic. He prepared to ram more power into the recasting of the spell, but a rattling from his left hip followed by a loud metallic shout of "Partner! Wait!" forced the young teen to relaxed. Ignoring the sounds of disappointment from behind him, he focused on his left hip.

"What is it Derf?" He asked, annoyed his spell had been interrupted, by the sword named Derf at his hip. Pulling itself far out of its scabbard and was how using its guard as a mouth and stated simply stated "Good luck partner."

Louis smiled at that, knowing that the blade was rarely sincere about anything. He looked up and raised up his arms to cast again, shutting out the sounds of anticipation behind him. He took a deep breath.

"Louis!" a shout came from his hip. A little power slipped from his control. A pulse of light from his wand leaped out, struck the ground, and sent another piece sod into the air. Louis ignored it, normally he, would have shoved the sword back into its scabbard for interrupting him, but this was the first time the sword had used his name since he had found the 6000 year old sentient sword in a city weapons shop of all places.

"Louis," the sword continued "If this doesn't work and all...." the swords 'mouth' shook side to side in contemplation "I-I wouldn't mind if you formed the contract with me," Derf finished seriously.

"Wait!" Louis' mouth dropped open "That's actually possible!?"

"Yes, I just remembered" Derf replied "I am alive after all."

Louis gaped in a loss of words, at the sword. After a few moments, Louis collected his thoughts. He beamed, basking in the warmth that had filled his heart. He didn't know what got the normally rude and quirky sword in such a sentimental mood, but never before was he so thankful for nearly losing both of his hands along with his old sword, when he attempted to reinforce the sword by filling it up with magic. But it blew up in his hands the first time he struck the bolder he was testing it on. He brought his arms back up, eyes blazing in confidence, he smirked "I wouldn't want to kiss Derf, now would I!"

"Hey!"

"Shut it!"

The sword finally sank back down into its scabbard. Louis shivered as the warmth from letting loose his magic filled him. He started weaving his wand, then taking a deep breath, and finally he shouted out in as commanding as a tone as he could "My name is Louis Jacques le Blanc de la Vallière. Pentagon of the five elemental power, Heed my summoning... and bring forth...my familiar!!!" The end of his wand began to glow with a bright, white light. The wand began to heat up as the light at its end continued to grow brighter and brighter. Just as the light and heat of the wand became unbearable. The magic burst into final flash of light forming a glowing blue ellipse of light, with a pentagram in the center, floating at the end of his wand.

"What is this?" he asked to no one as he turn his wand to the side. He reached out, and using his thumb and index finger to hold his wand, unfurling his other three fingers he touched the ellipse. The ellipse changed becoming a portal into a black abyss. Starring slack jawed, into the darkness, he was jerked off of his feet. and sucked into the darkness on the other side of the portal. As the emptyness of the void enveloped him, Louis realized:

He Had Failed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was another flash of light, and Louis found himself amongst a cloud of smoke, lying on his back. The warmth from earlier had left him feeling strangely hollow. Staring blankly up into nothing. After a few seconds he blinked a few times, his mind finally catching up with his bodies displacement. Coughing lightly, waving his left hand to try and clear the smoke, he slowly pushed himself upright with his right arm. His sore body immediately protested this action, causing him nearly toppled over, if it wasn't for the fact he was already supporting himself with his right hand. Putting his left hand against his head, fighting off the dizzy spell and an ensuing headache. He settled for merely siting up cross-legged.

“W-where am I?” He asked trying to look through the thick cloud of smoke.

“I don't know partner,” came a reply from his him “but you gave it you best shot. That's what counts, right?”

"Th-thank you partner." Louis gave the sword a hollow smile, before some smoke got in his nose, causing him to sneeze. His eyes decider to start watering too. Ditching the thought of taking up Derf's offer, right then, he didn't think he had the magic to do so any ways. So he did the next thing he could think of, he stood up ready to face what ever was outside of the smoke. Like setting up, his body protested to the new position he tried to force it into. He fell flat on his face, sending waves of pain throughout his body. After a few seconds he gathered himself up, and detached Derf from his belt, in scabbard. He used Derf in Scabbard as a brace to pick himself upright and to keep himself upright. It was then, after finally standing up, that he heard the familiar sounds of laughter and taunting, on the other side of the cloud of smoke. Not really paying attention to what was said, he used their voices as a guide post to where he would meet his destiny as a fallen noble. As he hobbled closer he started to pay attention to what was said,

"HaHa, what an explosion!" 'Yes, yes the one thing I'm good at other than swords.' he thought in reply
"As expected of 'Louise the Zero'!" 'Huh, looks like I have a new title, fitting.'
"I bet she didn't summon any thing this time too" 'Wait! I'm not a girl!'
"Hey, I summoned something, I felt it!" Replied an strangely familiar voice, of a girl, originating directly in front of him. It was an instant later that Louis finally cleared the smoke to find the source of the voice. And the crowd got their first look at him, too.

"Is that a boy!?"
"What, happened to him, he looks terrible"
"Is he a noble!?"
"What?! 'Louise the Zero' summoned a noble!?"
"That's impossible she's a zero"
"Look at his pink hair, he must be her cousin she asked to pose as her familiar"
"And look at his tattered clothes, no noble would step out of the
"Yeah, no way she summoned noble"

He would have been offended if he was not focusing on the girl right in front of him. She was familiar, too familiar. She looked like a younger and shorter version of his older sister Cattleya. No, that was impossible, he looked up at the crowd behind the girl, they are all students from his year, including Professor Colbert. He looked back at the girl, she was the only one he didn't know. He started taking in her features. She is short, same height as himself, she has long billowing pink hair, same color as his. She is wearing the customary female garb for the academy. Long black cape held on by a gold clasp, a frilly white button up, and a plaid skirt. She was frozen staring back at back at him with the same red eyes as his own. She could be his body double if she trimmed off her long hair and replaced the skirt for some pants. But those similarities were not what unnerved Louise the most.

At that moment she was able to snap out of her shock. Putting her fists against her hips, she puffed up her chest and said "Y-you! Boy! Wh-who are you?"

There was her her voice too, it was an octave above his own and slightly more feminine, but he knew he could mimic it. No, that wasn't what unnerved him. It was the feel of her magic. This sense of magic he learned from his mentor in the sword, one Viscount Wardes. Each person they perceive magic in a different way, for Louis it is with his sense of touch, he can feel the magic. And the girls magic felt like nothing, a void, a lack of sensation. It was virtually identical to his own, except it was softer, and was in a much larger amount than his own. From what he knew, no one had the same feel of magic and the closeness of magic between himself and the girl standing in front of him, could only be attributed to identical twins. Which was impossible, he only knew of three children born from the house of Vallière, Elenore his oldest sister, Cattleya the middle daughter, and him, Louis the first son. And he knew his mother better than that. Which begs the question, who is this girl?

As if to answer his question she 'humfed' then shouted “Don't just stand there and gawk at me!” she poked him on the shoulder which brought him out of his musing and reminding him what his physical condition is. He was forced to put all of his weight on Derf, to keep from falling over. She continued her triad undaunted

“I am Louise Françoise le Blanc de la Vallière third daughter of Karin the 'Heavy Wind' and the Duke of Tristain I will not be ignored by any one, noble, commoner, or beast. So, answer my question; Who... Are... You?” she finished with three will timed pokes of her index finger.

“I-I-I-I'm...” he was saved from answering her question by Not-Professor Colbert who interjected “Miss Vallière, please calm down, I'm sure that Mister...”

Louis had to took a few moments to decide if he should use his name, considering the fact that he had failed his summoning and now he was standing amongst people he knew, with one exception, who were all treating him as if he were a stranger. Eventually he decided to give “Jacques” as his name.

Not-Professor Colbert raised an eyebrow at 'Jacques' before turning back to Louise continued “Yes, Mister Jacques is just confused after being summoned!” he then turn back to 'Jacques'
“As I said you have been summoned here by Miss Vallière for the Spring Time Familiar Summoning ritual. To become her familiar, to obey her, to protect her, and to help her in any task. Are you willing to except this contract?” Not-Professor Colbert asked Jacques, looking strait into others eyes.

Jacques contemplated what Not-Colbert had said. Admits his hazy thoughts, he understood that summoning was one way and he would not be leaving this parody of his home any time soon. And that for all intensive purposes he didn't exist here, and if he chose not to become a familiar it was unlikely he could live a decent life. There were worse fates than becoming a familiar, like facing his mother after failing out of the academy. He shivered then slowly then slowly nodded 'yes' as his answer.

Colbert gave quick nod, turned back to Louise and offered “Miss Vallière, If you would...”

Louise huffed before bringing up her wand, poking him on the forehead, and the chanting “My name is Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière. Pentagon of the five elemental powers; bless this humble being, and make him my familiar.” she reached out and closed his mouth with her soft dainty hand, before leaning in and pressed her small delicate lips against his. She then quickly aborted contact between there lips and gave him a small push back. This caused Jacques fall strait back onto his back, as well as Derf partially unsheathing and shouting out:

“Nice Partner!”

“The sword spoke!?” came a reply from Louise

“Of course I can talk, I'm Derflinger!” This was the last thing that Jacques heard, as a searing pain in his left hand finally pushed Jacques over the edge and into unconsciousness.
Nope
Somebody buried a tornado, and it's trying to escape.
leon89

Re: Leon's Red Pills - Story #1

Unread postby Thozmp » May 16th, 2011, 3:45 pm

So I guess I'll be nice and be the first to comment anything on your snippet, in the hopes that there will eventually be more. I can't say I read a lot of this particular fandom, but it seems okay so far, nothing really spectacular, but then again there isn't much to go on. The mentorship under Wardes is a nice touch in keeping certain people familiar with each other, and the addition of Derf is promising, especially if Louis/Jacques comes across the local Derf as well. Hopefully the explaination in the difference in power will come in time, and I pray there will be no romance between the two.
Thozmp

Unread postby leon89 » May 16th, 2011, 7:04 pm

Thank you for replying Thozmp. First there are no plans for a romance between Jacques and Louise. It would be too creepy, they are for all intensive purposes nearly identical twins, the only real difference between them is that one of them is XY and the other is XX. I have other plans for Jacques love life, though I have no idea what to do with Louise.

As for their difference in powers, Louis/Jacques is skill were as his female counterpart Louise would be power. Jacques actually trained/studied/experimented his void powers, and has a better understanding of Void magic than Louise at this point in the story. He can even duplicate some basic spells, that technically don't have an element, such as levitate. Though Jacques is conflicted about his magic, he is happy that he can at least use some spell, but also feels that what he does is a mockery of 'real' magic.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if I will continue with this idea. Even if I do, I feel that the second scene needs a rewrite. Before I continue farther down the rabbit hole. And some parts of the first scene too.

I do have a written out idea sheet for Jacques' character interactions. I wouldn't mind if you looked at it. That is, if you want to.
Nope
Somebody buried a tornado, and it's trying to escape.
leon89

Unread postby Thozmp » May 16th, 2011, 9:43 pm

I think I would like to see it, although I can guess some as being "WTF?! These are the same people that tormented me and now they're interested?" especially with him being "mysterious" but I can see him interacting with others better then Saito since he at least understands the culture. Although interaction between Louis and Louise should be something.
Thozmp

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop