Introduction of the Almost-Student

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Introduction of the Almost-Student

Unread postby Lthayer3 » June 2nd, 2011, 1:12 am

Had this thing mostly finished before seeing the response as to whether I could join Scholomance. Figured I'd debug and post it so it doesn't vanish into the depths of my hard drive. And I didn't have anything else to do. Didn't realize how much I missed writing.

----------

Lord Greymoor drummed his fingers against the kitchen table as he reread that letter for the fifth time that morning.

"You're absolutely sure about going to this school? If you really want to go to a magical academy, I'm sure your grandfather could get a spot for you in the mage guild's Academy."

Andar rolled his eyes and continued eating breakfast, spearing a couple blueberries along with a piece of waffle.

"Several of the professors do owe your grandfather a favor or three. Sure you're not up to the current level, but you learn fast. They'd make an exception for you," Lord Greymoor continued.

The young man sitting across from him snorted before reaching for the pitcher to pour another glass of orange juice.

"Even if they don't let you in one of the apprentice classes, Kaldakia has its own academy, and you know Uncle Kalador would make sure you were admitted. You certainly have enough talent to excel there."

Andar briefly glanced at his adopted father, who was now chewing on his lower lip, before returning his attention to breakfast.

"Or, you know, you don't have to attend a magical school. Your Uncle doesn't have a lick of magical power, and he's practically a king."

"Father," Andar interrupted, "No matter where I go, we both know that I can't be as successful as you or grandfather or Uncle Kalador. Just stop trying to change my mind already."

"Alright, alright."

Hadrian Greymoor set the letter down on the edge of the table and closed his eyes briefly, then set about eating breakfast with his son in a mostly companionable silence.

----------

Later that afternoon, as he was passing through the center hall, Lord Greymoor heard the sound of humming coming from the third floor landing.

"Ah, Hadian. So little Andaralis is going to that strange school after all?"

"Yes, dear. You know how he is. Never wants to trouble us with anything. He's behind right now, but he really would do well at the Academy after a year or two of catch up. Probably thinks that school would be more of an adventure than any of the guild academies."

"He's probably right, too. That's what you and father get for telling him all about your adventures, though," Lady Greymoor smirked. "Ah, It seems like only yesterday that we brought him home from Thalkisi. The house will feel so empty without a child around."

"You say that every time, love. Nadria is due back from her research trip in a few days, you know. Maybe she'll feel like taking up an apprentice for you to mother. Or," Lord Greymoor paused as he opened the front doors for his wife, "I could see if there are any magical orphans hanging around Drelsa in a couple weeks when the guild there is due for its inspection, I suppose."

----------

Andar grinned as he finished packing the last of his belongings. As much as he loved his parents of the past six years, he missed his independence. While his adoptive family and the manor staff were all great people, they were just so suffocating.

After removing his pajamas, Andar donned a pair of jeans and a T shirt, happy that he wouldn't be expected to wear formal clothing for the next several years. Shoving the last of his clothes into the suitcase and forcing the blasted thing to close took several more minutes before the teen was finally ready to leave.

Andar glanced about his room one last time before slipping on his tennis shoes, lifting his overstuffed suitcase off the mattress, turning off the lights, and shutting his door. He jogged down the hallway, brushing a few uncombed strands of white hair out of his eyes as he went. Excited as he was, Andar took the steps three at a time, nearly crashing into one of the housekeepers in the process.

"Young master, you should know better than that! You're lucky your parents left a couple hours ago, or you'd be helping me clean the attic again tonight."

"Bye, Miss Cecil! Love you too!" Andar answered as he slowed down only after hopping to the ground floor.

"Oh, go on, you rascal. Though I expect you to write while you're at that crazy school of yours."

"Will do!"

As he reached the west door a short while later, Andar grabbed his short staff from its resting spot in a beginners' weaponrack. He hadn't had much training with it, but it was a tradition in the Greymoor family to wield one. His oldest brother Phil had promised to train him in a couple years, but that would probably have to be delayed a bit longer now. Having already said his goodbyes, Andar quickly exited the manor and began jogging again towards the portal at the edge of the grounds that would take him somewhere near Scholomance. If he hurried, he figured he should make it there shortly after nightfall, with the opening ceremony scheduled for sometime the next day.

----------

Later that evening, Andaralis Greymoor found himself gaping in astonishment and mild shock as he staggered away from what he thought would be his home for at least the next five years. Apparently the letter his father had received was a mistake, as one of the professors said in no uncertain terms that the school didn't accept anyone born offworld.

"Guess I'll have to look through the admission letters again tomorrow."
Lthayer3

Re: Introduction of the Almost-Student

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » June 2nd, 2011, 2:05 am

It is fairly well-written overall, though there is the issue that in the Scholomance setting, the Scholomance is literally the only magical school there is (perhaps they wipe out any competitors?). And, of course, there is the matter of the fact that our characters are supposed to be roughly from modern-day Earth.
I am not really certain where to start with editing this to fit in the setting, to be honest. Sorry to not be more help.
I was going to point out that you misspelled "blueberries", but you seem to have fixed the error.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Re: Introduction of the Almost-Student

Unread postby Lthayer3 » June 2nd, 2011, 2:37 am

Thanks. And I am not at all familiar with Scholomance (other than that there's something in WoW by that name), and googling it provided no help at all.

I was working under the assumption that if there is 1) magic in the known universe and 2) a tear in reality, it would be logical that there are both other inhabited planets, other magical schools, and quite possibly accessible alternate dimensions. Unless we're assuming that Earth has the only life in the entire universe, there is no afterlife, no alternate dimensions, etc, etc. Otherwise, having only one magical school seems rather silly.

The 'roughly from modern-day Earth' part was only explicitly said after this was mostly written. And with a magic setting, anything can be explained as being on modern-day Earth easily enough. The mansion could be in some hidden valley in the alps or something. Change the city and country names, and presto, the setting fits. And even without changes, it could be explained that the cities/country are on a large magical island in the middle of an ocean, or hidden in Antarctica, or underground. The way I see it, once you have an open-ended magic system, pretty much anything is possible *shrugs*
Lthayer3

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop