HP/SG-1 crossover

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

HP/SG-1 crossover

Unread postby Comosicus » February 3rd, 2012, 6:23 pm

Another plot bunny tormenting my brain. The arch of death is actually an inactive/mafunctioning stargate that gets activated during the fight in DoM by stray spells and ambient magic.

As always, critique and opinions are welcome.
For once, Harry was starting to believe that maybe old bat Trelawney might get another prediction turn true today - the one where he was to die a horrific death. Even worse was that his friends might share his fate as well. Not even the arrival of the Order members just minutes before did not seem to turn the tide. Their initial advantage of surprise was wearing off and they were slowly being pushed back.

They were at this moment in large hall, so much alike the courtroom where he had tried for underage magic the last summer. Rows of stone benches were overlooking a raised platform where stood a large arch, made of a dark material. Stopping behind of the benches to catch his breath, Harry dared to look around and assess the situation. Closest to him was Professor Lupin, exchanging spells with one Death Eater he thought he could identify as McNair, the one who was sent to execute Buckbeack two years ago. Further was Mad Eye Moody, holding his own against two opponents. On the other side Kingsley Shacklebolt was crossing wands with Lucius Malfoy. And finally, close to the platform in the center of the room, Sirius was fighting the Wicked Witch herself - Bellatrix Lestrange. There was no sight of his friends - they must have scattered in different directions over the course of the fight. Also a number of Death Eaters were missing, which meant that the tide could turn against them even more at any moment.

Harry also realized how lucky they have been so far and that initially the Death Eaters have been holding back a lot, probably to avoid damaging the prophecy ball. The gloves were off now though and all around him the fight was taking place at a level he couldn't have imagined before. That did not mean though that he was backing off the fight now. So he started inching towards Sirius, while trying to take potshots at the enemies whenever possible. It was a most humbling experience that is attacks were parried without much effort while his targets did not shift focus from their main adversaries. Professor Lupin was too busy with his opponent to pay attention to him, so he started moving towards Sirius, using the benches as cover and trying to attract as little attention as possible. His godfather, a wanted man, has risked everything coming to his help tonight and he was not going to leave him face that bitch alone.

On his approach Harry couldn't help but notice a change in the arch atop the central platform, no doubt a result of the stray spells hitting it and all the magic saturating the air. Scattered all across the surface, electric blue runes were flickering to life one after another. The faint whispers from before were being replaced by a deep throbbing hum that was making his teeth vibrate. Whatever the purpose of the device was, the surrounding battle was turning it on.

A commotion at the hall entrance caught his attention. It proved to be a couple of the missing Death Eaters, casting back at an yet unseen opponent. Considering that they were throwing only Killing Curses, their foe must have been a formidable one and Harry felt a flicker of hope. After all, an enemy the Death Eaters feared so much to run away from could only be a friend. The hope turned to elation when Professor Dumbledore himself appeared on the doorway, his wand a blur of motion, conjuring stone slabs to intercept the sickly green beams that sought to end his life. The Death Eaters seemed to reconsider their chances and decide that a retreat was their best solution at the moment. One of Mad Eye's opponents turned around and blew a hole in the wall behind him, making an escape route. Taking advantage of the reduced rate of incoming fire, Professor Dumbledore made a wide sweeping motion, sending a visible wave of magic across the entire room, knocking down any Death Eater it touched. That was the moment when everything went to hell.

As the force wall encountered the arch, it appear to freeze in place for a fraction of a second, then it got absorbed completely inside the device. Seven large runes blazed to life at equal intervals across the circumference and a geyser--like vortex, about 10 meters long, erupted from the device. The stormy pillar hit a retreating Lucius Malfoy dead on, before reforming in a water-like membrane that filled the entire archway. In its wake, a pair of feet, from the knee downward, in expensive leather boots was everything that was left from the once proud pureblood aristocrat.

Bellatrix was the first one to regain her senses. With a crazed shriek she surged forward, a flurry of curses flying from her wand. Sirius was suddenly hard pressed to defend himself and was forced back, towards the rippling surface of the archway. In no time his godfather has been pushed all the way to the top of the platform, when a explosive curse hit the floor right in front of him. The blast took the Marauder off his feet, blowing him away into the archway, where he disappeared from view, accompanied by the maniacal laugh of his crazy cousin.

In mere fractions of a moment Harry felt a broad range of feelings. Heart-gripping worry made place for blazing fury, then to ice cold determination. With new found strength he sent a trio of overpowered Reductos towards the laughing witch, before dashing forward towards the archway. With new found strength he sent a trio of overpowered Reductos towards the laughing witch, as he dashed forward towards the archway. He did not hear Lupin's anguished cry, asking him to stop and he was already too far away for the older man to hold him in place. He did not look back to see a startled Bellatrix raising a shield, that barely stopped the first spell, and crumbled under the second one. The third spell passed unopposed, turning her head into a red mess of blood, bone and brains. The Wicked Witch was no more. Yet none of this registered with the young wizard as he crossed the rippling surface. The next moment the membrane vanished, leaving behind an inert archway, a bunch of incapacitated Death Eaters and Order members, a dumbstruck Headmaster and a kneeling, crying werewolf.
Last edited by Comosicus on February 7th, 2012, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comosicus

Re: HP/SG-1 crossover

Unread postby bookwurm290 » February 6th, 2012, 9:09 pm

I like this, good introduction and you can take it many ways from here, I would like to see it continued. As far as critique goes, here's mine:

In canon, Remus stops Harry from entering the Veil. There doesn't seem to be any reason that he doesn't here, you should probably throw in a line about why he didn't, maybe he was petrified, or I dunno, Mcnair turned his foot into stone and he can't move with all that weight dragging him down.

The other isn't something to change, but to either comment on or draw attention to, I don't know what happens when you are hit by a Stargate when it shoots out. My first guess is that Malfoy was actually transported somewhere and not killed, if your planning on having him return this was a good way to foreshadow it, if you were actually planning on killing him right there, maybe at a later date when Harry knows what happened, have him remember and ask someone more knowledgeable what happened to Malfoy.
bookwurm290

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » February 6th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Actually, the event horizon is pretty dangerous when it first activates. There's a reason that no one stands in front of it when it does its geyser impression. I'd imagine that Malfoy's upper body got picked up, but the lower part was left behind, leading to him having an incomplete signature, and ending up scrambled. If anything comes out the other side, it's likely to look like a transporter accident.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby bookwurm290 » February 7th, 2012, 3:50 am

Well, that's good to know, but if you did want to keep Malfoy in the story he could have apparated right after his legs got cut off? A teleport accident and a splinching don't seem too incredibly different and with prompt medical attention could probably be fixed. The medical side of the Harry Potter isn't very well defined, splinching, which at the least is reattaching limbs, and regrowing bones seem fairly easy. I imagine his legs could even be regrown if I remember correctly, the only reason George couldn't regrow his ear is because is was a dark curse.
bookwurm290

Unread postby Comosicus » February 7th, 2012, 4:00 am

The initial vortex of the Supergate destroyed an entire Ori mothership - which shrugs pretty much everything else you throw at her (except the latest Asgard beams). It actually disintegrates eveything it touches, without transporting it anywhere. See Unstable vortex on Stargate Wikia.

About Remus: From what I remember in canon, Harry stayed in cover, close to Lupin after Order members arrived. Here he takes advantage of the chaos around him to sneak towards Sirius. It's in the third paragraph:
Harry also realized how lucky they have been so far and that initially the Death Eaters have been holding back a lot, probably to avoid damaging the prophecy ball. The gloves were off now though and all around him the fight was taking place at a level he couldn't have imagined before. That did not mean though that he was backing off the fight now. So he started inching towards Sirius, while trying to take potshots at the enemies whenever possible. It was a most humbling experience that is attacks were parried without much effort while his targets did not shift focus from their main adversaries.
Malfoy and Bellatrix are dead. The main reason came from reading No Hurry at All by Robst. Here Harry finds out from his parents that if he stays dead, Malfoy money will come to the rescue again and the blame will be taken by Dumbledore, the Order and the Ministry Six. In my story, by eliminating Malfoy, I am removing his influence in Harry's absence. By also killing Bellatrix, I am leaving Dumbledore with an undeniable proof of real Death Eater activity. Fudge can not shift the blame on him now.

P.S. (edit): This situation will serve to maintain a status-quo until Harry and Sirus can return in a few years (DoM happens around June '95 and SG-1 timeline starts around '97 if I understand properly) which gives the two of them a couple of years to get in touch with the galactic reality. Without his public spokesman (Malfoy) and his top enforcer (Bellatrix), Voldemort is forced to stay low instead of taking over. I plan to make it public that Harry is still alive (still thinking on that specific plot line). Thus Voldie is even more unsure of the effects of the prophecy (which was destroyed in the fight, with the only copy left residing in Dumbledore's noggin).
Last edited by Comosicus on February 7th, 2012, 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comosicus

Unread postby Comosicus » February 7th, 2012, 4:50 am

In my story the archway is an attempt by the magical world to reverse engineer / recreate the stargate. At some point the DoM got hold of some writings and technological specifications about them and attempted to rebuild one. The Naquadah can come from scavenged broken Ancient or Goau'ld artefacts. Yet, the lack of appropriate technology makes it an imperfect copy. In my story there is no "veil" in the archway. The arch has one address "hardwired" in the construction, but I had not decided yet which one will be. The fandom "execution device" can be achieved by levitating the condemned and disintegrating him/her with the vortex. The wormhole collapses almost instantly, due to lack of power - the makeshift stargate does not have the 38 minutes capacitors as the normal ones. During the fight, the ambient magic and stray spells hitting the device power it up and Dumbledore's massive spell provides a lot more power than usually. Thus the wormhole is open enough for Sirius and Harry to pass through.
Comosicus

Unread postby bookwurm290 » February 7th, 2012, 7:44 am

For the event horizon bit, I will bow to your superior knowledge of Stargate canon and my misunderstanding, it was just a random thought based on me not knowing Stargate well.

I suppose my problem with the Remus bit is word choice, if Harry's inching towards Sirius, and this all happens in seconds, plus Harry's distracted by Dumbledore, he'll be inches or maybe a foot further from Remus. Maybe if you have Remus barely miss Harry, it would work better in my mind.
bookwurm290

Unread postby Comosicus » February 7th, 2012, 9:27 am

You're making some good points there. I've updated the story to make things more clear.
Comosicus

Unread postby Random_fan » March 2nd, 2012, 8:07 am

I like what you've got here, though I admit to a bias because of the stargate element.
Random_fan

Unread postby Comosicus » March 17th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Tonight I finished the second chapter so I'm posting it below too. I think that the next chapter will cover the aftermath of the DoM battle. I am still thinking of a title for this story and I'd like to get a few more chapters done before I consider putting it on FFNet. As always, thoughts, reviews and critiques are welcome.
Spoiler: show
=== NOTE: Please look below for an updated version ===

There was only one thought in the mind of young Harry Potter as he rushed towards the archway. His godfather had passed through and he was going to follow him even if it took him to the very depths of hell. Therefore there was no hesitation as he stepped through the rippling surface in front of him. The first sensation was one of extreme cold, followed by feeling not unlike the one of a portkey, as he appeared to rush through a tunnel of light that twisted between stars. Next thing he knew he was tumbling through the air and coming to a hard stop on a sunlit grassy field. Yet all the dizziness and pain was forgotten when he heard his godfather's muffled voice.

"Way to go, Black, getting killed when your godson needed you the most. Not to mention you were too young and handsome to kick the bucket. I am amazed Prongs and Lilly are not already here waiting to tan my flea bitten hide."

Harry felt a smile spreading on his lips. Sirius was OK and that was everything that mattered. Yet his words made little sense to him.

"Uhh... Sirius ... I don't know about you, but I feel pretty much alive, thank you very much. Are you sure that last spell didn't give you a concussion or something?"

Sirius Black liked to think he was badass enough that nothing could shock him anymore. Yet the sound of Harry's words hit him like a poleax. He raised slowly on his elbows and knees and turned his head to towards his godson. He took a few moments looking at Harry, blinked a few times then let loose with the first thought that crossed his mind:

"Harry, what the hell are you doing here?"

"I came after you, of course. Merlin knows you need someone to take care of you. You seem even a bigger trouble magnet than I am."

"Pup, the Archway of Death has been used as an execution device for centuries before Azkaban was built. Surely Dumbledore must have told you about it when he took care of your education as heir of House Potter? And what is a magnet?"

"House Potter? Heir? That's the first time I hear about such things. You know Dumbledore likes to keep me like a mushroom: locked in the dark and fed bullshit. Oh, and don't call me Shirley. My name is Harry. Are you sure there's no concussion at all? And magnets are a muggle thing that attracts iron"

Despite the situation, Sirius felt a smile rising on his lips. If his godson was making bad puns about names, things were not as dark as they appeared to be.

"Ok, pup, time for a history lesson then. The Archway of Death is an artifact from the time of the Founders and it was used as an execution device. The condemned was petrified and levitated in front of the archway and the erupting vortex would disintegrate him instantly"

"Like what happened to Malfoy?" asked Harry. "The only things left of him that I saw were his boots and that fancy snake-head pimp cane of his."

"Yeah," acknowledged Sirius. "A fitting end for a slimy snake like him. Although what happened next was never described before. All records in the Black library describe the archway shutting down immediately. There was nothing about walls of water and portals to Merlin knows where. I would say we are about halfway around the world. It seems to be almost noon, while we left before midnight from England."

Harry took a moment to look around. They were on a large grassy clearing, surrounded by a light curtain of trees about half a mile away. The sky was clear blue, with small fluffy white clouds, but the sun was a bit strange with its bluish tint instead of the normal orange. The moon was also visible right above the horizon and its surface was also unlike the one he remembered from his Astronomy lessons. The real shock came about a moment later, making the teen wizard gasp in surprise.

"Padfoot, old boy, I don't think we're on Earth anymore."

Sirius turned to the direction his godson was pointing and had to stifle a gasp of his own. For one of the clouds in its continuous transformation, revealed behind it a second moon, smaller and with a reddish tint. Both wizards stood in silence, trying to digest the information about their current situation.

Harry was the first to take a deep breath and rise from the ground.

"All right, Padfoot, cheer up. We're alive, with no important injuries and that's what matters most right now. We will find a way to return home, sooner or later, but first we need to take care of survival. We will need food, shelter and information, in this order. We can conjure any water we need, there is no need to worry about dehydration."

"Wow kid, I remember you flying by the seat of your pants most of the time. When did you get so organized?"

"One does not simply spend five years with Hermione Granger and not learn a thing or two. Plus, I was drilling some of this stuff with the DA when we considered the scenarios regarding how to escape from a Death Eater attack and what to do after you got away."

Sirius rose to his feet as well, spelling away the grass, dust and debris that had covered his robes. After doing the same service for Harry and healing any scrapes they had acquired during the fight, he spoke to his godson.

"Let's have a look at the Portal first. Maybe there is something we can learn about it."

First thing they noticed was that the Portal was different from the one in the Ministry. While the first one looked more like a gothic archway, this one was a perfect circle, partially embedded in the platform it was sitting on. The device was made of two concentric parts. The outer one had seven triangular shapes, evenly spread around the visible circumference, while the inner ring had a large number of runes or symbols, also evenly spread. In front of the raised platform there w as a raised pedestal, with a flattened head, with the same symbols, arranged in two circles around a great reddish crystal.

"Can you make anything out of this, Harry? It looks more like Muggle technology to me than magic to me. Some of the symbols look a bit like what I've seen when your mother was studying Ancient Runes. I never took the course though so I can't be of any more help."

Harry took a few moments to examine the circular archway, taking care not to stay directly in front of it, as he did not want to share the same fate as Malfoy in case the Portal engaged again. He moved then to the short pedestal and tentatively touched one glyph. He was rewarded with a metallic sound, as the glyph lit, together with one of the triangular shapes on the Portal. He presses the glyph again, causing it to shut down, then turned towards his godfather.

"I think it is some sort of selector, like a Muggle phone, where you input the number you want to call. Only in this case it might be the destination of the portal. You put seven symbols as the address then I presume you must touch that big crystal in the center. But there must be millions of possible combinations and there is no way we can try them all. We will need an address book to know where to go."

"That settles it then. I'll put some monitoring charms around this area. It will let us know if someone else comes through. Not very likely, but we should cover all our bases. Whoever placed the portal here, did not intend to hide it. Yet there are no signs of people passing, no tracks in the grass, no roads, so it is unlikely to be use too often. Now, pay attention to what I'm doing and I'll teach you the spells we're going to use."

It took more than half an hour for Harry to learn the monitoring spells, but in the end his results were better than his godfather's. They decided to put a double layer, each one keyed to one of them, just in case. Once the task was finished, they took a moment to consider their next move.

"I can see some mountains far to the north, so that could be a good direction to begin," started Sirius. "We might be able to get a better view of the surrounding area from there. Also, I think we should be looking for a source of fresh water too. I know we don't really need it, but animals have to drink. We will be able to hunt some for food, or maybe find some fish too. We'll check the forest on the way for edible fruits and I'll show you some spells to detect poisons. The Blacks had many enemies so these spells were taught to every family member at a young age."

"Sounds great, Sirius. You know, it will be almost like a vacation, hiking in the wild. Or like in one of the books I had to read for school, back before Hogwarts. I can be Robinson Crusoe and you'll be my faithful savage man-servant Friday. You're a bit too white, but a bit of mud, or a coloring charm and you'll be all set up. Now, did I tell you of that time in second year when me and Ron ended in the middle of the Forbidden Forrest? It was right after Hagrid has been arrested ..."

Talking and laughing, the two wizards started their journey, leaving behind the portal that had delivered them so far from home.
Last edited by Comosicus on March 18th, 2012, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comosicus

Unread postby someone » March 17th, 2012, 6:16 pm

"Pup, the Archway of Death has been used as an execution device for centuries before Azkaban was built. Surely Dumbledore must have told you about it when he took care of your education as heir of House Potter? And what is a magnet?"

"House Potter? Heir? That's the first time I hear about such things. You know Dumbledore likes to keep me like a mushroom: locked in the dark and fed bullshit.
I don't think adding manipulative/evil!Dumbledore to the story is a good idea, unless you have a specific purpose in mind. In any case, if I remember correctly, in fifth year Harry's problem with Dumbledore is mostly about not being told anything about the specific (Voldemort) situation. Finding out from Sirius that it is much bigger than that should warrant a bit more of an outburst. Also, they spent part of the summer holiday together while having to deal with legal issues, how did something that would have exposed this not come up in conversation before? Does Sirius actually refer to Harry as 'Pup' anywhere in the books?
"One does not simply spend five years with Hermione Granger and not learn a thing or two. Plus, I was drilling some of this stuff with the DA when we considered the scenarios regarding how to escape from a Death Eater attack and what to do after you got away."
Harry doesn't show much signs of picking up Hermione's organizational habits in the books, I'd put the 'we've thought about it in the DA' reason first and a reference to Hermione as the secondary comment, if at all.
someone

Unread postby Comosicus » March 18th, 2012, 12:54 am

It has been a while since I read the books and I don't have them close for reference (they're back in Romania - too heavy to haul all the way to Spain). So I guess I am more under the influence of fandom.

You're making valid points and I will look for a way to fix this.
Comosicus

Unread postby Comosicus » March 18th, 2012, 1:40 am

I've rewritten the parts mentioned above. The updates are in bold green below:

There was only one thought in the mind of young Harry Potter as he rushed towards the archway. His godfather had passed through and he was going to follow him even if it took him to the very depths of hell. Therefore there was no hesitation as he stepped through the rippling surface in front of him. The first sensation was one of extreme cold, followed by feeling not unlike the one of a portkey, as he appeared to rush through a tunnel of light that twisted between stars. Next thing he knew he was tumbling through the air and coming to a hard stop on a sunlit grassy field. Yet all the dizziness and pain was forgotten when he heard his godfather's muffled voice.

"Way to go, Black, getting killed when your godson needed you the most. Not to mention you were too young and handsome to kick the bucket. I am amazed Prongs and Lilly are not already here waiting to tan my flea bitten hide."

Harry felt a smile spreading on his lips. Sirius was OK and that was everything that mattered. Yet his words made little sense to him.

"Uhh... Sirius ... I don't know about you, but I feel pretty much alive, thank you very much. Are you sure that last spell didn't give you a concussion or something?"

Sirius Black liked to think he was badass enough that nothing could shock him anymore. Yet the sound of Harry's words hit him like a poleax. He raised slowly on his elbows and knees and turned his head to towards his godson. He took a few moments looking at Harry, blinked a few times then let loose with the first thought that crossed his mind:

"Harry, what the hell are you doing here?"

"I came after you, of course. Merlin knows you need someone to take care of you. You seem even a bigger trouble magnet than I am."

"Harry, the Archway of Death has been used as an execution device for centuries before Azkaban was built. What are you kids learning in History of Magic these days? And what is a magnet?"

"We learn how to nap properly. I don't know how it was in your time, but now Binns just drones on and on about goblin rebellions. There was nothing like that in Hermione's notes either. We would have heard from her for days if she knew anything. So either they reworked the curriculum or we didn't reach that part yet. Oh, and don't call me Shirley. My name is Harry. Are you sure there's no concussion at all? And magnets are a muggle thing that attracts iron"

Despite the situation, Sirius felt a smile rising on his lips. If his godson was making bad puns about names, things were not as dark as they appeared to be.

"Ok, kid, time for a history lesson then. The Archway of Death is an artifact from the time of the Founders and it was used as an execution device. The condemned was petrified and levitated in front of the archway and the erupting vortex would disintegrate him instantly"

"Like what happened to Malfoy?" asked Harry. "The only things left of him that I saw were his boots and that fancy snake-head pimp cane of his."

"Yeah," acknowledged Sirius. "A fitting end for a slimy snake like him. Although what happened next was never described before. All records in the Black library describe the archway shutting down immediately. There was nothing about walls of water and portals to Merlin knows where. I would say we are about halfway around the world. It seems to be almost noon, while we left before midnight from England."

Harry took a moment to look around. They were on a large grassy clearing, surrounded by a light curtain of trees about half a mile away. The sky was clear blue, with small fluffy white clouds, but the sun was a bit strange with its bluish tint instead of the normal orange. The moon was also visible right above the horizon and its surface was also unlike the one he remembered from his Astronomy lessons. The real shock came about a moment later, making the teen wizard gasp in surprise.

"Padfoot, old boy, I don't think we're on Earth anymore."

Sirius turned to the direction his godson was pointing and had to stifle a gasp of his own. For one of the clouds in its continuous transformation, revealed behind it a second moon, smaller and with a reddish tint. Both wizards stood in silence, trying to digest the information about their current situation.

Sirius was the first to take a deep breath and rise from the ground.

"All right, Harry, cheer up. We're alive, with no important injuries and that's what matters most right now. We will find a way to return home, sooner or later, but first we need to take care of survival. We will need food, shelter and information, in this order. We can conjure any water we need, there is no need to worry about dehydration."

Despite the gravity of the situation, Harry felt hope again, as well as a smile tugging at his lips. It was interesting seeing Sirius so focused. Still, he couldn't help but take another playful shot at his godfather.

"I see you can be serious when the situation calls for it. You almost sound like Hermione. Have you been with the boy scouts or something?"

"Actually, yes," replied Sirius, with a grin. "Your father and I joined for the summer before our fourth year. We've seen them doing a parade through London and there were some good looking birds there. But we couldn't resist for more than a couple of weeks living like Muggles, so we gave up. But this survival stuff is something I picked during my Auror training. Mad-Eye had taken a liking to me and your father, along with a few others and he organized some extra training with a chap from the States. The guy has been in the Special Forces or something and he dropped us in the Highlands for two weeks. No food, no water, no shelter, just our wands and the promise of a good thrashing if we left the area before the time was up. Anyway, I can tell you more stories later. Let's move on now, we're burning daylight."

With a flick of his wand ,Sirius spelled away the grass, dust and debris that had covered his robes. After doing the same service for Harry and healing any scrapes they had acquired during the fight, he spoke to his godson.

"Let's have a look at the Portal first. Maybe there is something we can learn about it."

First thing they noticed was that the Portal was different from the one in the Ministry. While the first one looked more like a gothic archway, this one was a perfect circle, partially embedded in the platform it was sitting on. The device was made of two concentric parts. The outer one had seven triangular shapes, evenly spread around the visible circumference, while the inner ring had a large number of runes or symbols, also evenly spread. In front of the raised platform there w as a raised pedestal, with a flattened head, with the same symbols, arranged in two circles around a great reddish crystal.

Sirius cast a few spells at the two devices, but the look on his face showed he did not got any illuminating answers

"Can you make anything out of this, Harry? My spells only say that is something very complicated. It's like Muggle technology, but a lot more complex. Some of the symbols look a bit like what I've seen when your mother was studying Ancient Runes. I never took the course though so I can't be of any more help."

Harry took a few moments to examine the circular archway, taking care not to stay directly in front of it, as he did not want to share the same fate as Malfoy in case the Portal engaged again. He moved then to the short pedestal and tentatively touched one glyph. He was rewarded with a metallic sound, as the glyph lit, together with one of the triangular shapes on the Portal. He presses the glyph again, causing it to shut down, then turned towards his godfather.

"I think it is some sort of selector, like a muggle phone, where you input the number you want to call. Only in this case it might be the destination of the portal. You put seven symbols as the address then I presume you must touch that big crystal in the center. But there must be millions of possible combinations and there is no way we can try them all. We will need an address book to know where to go."

"That settles it then. I'll put some monitoring charms around this area. It will let us know if someone else comes through. Not very likely, but we should cover all our bases. Whoever placed the portal here, did not intend to hide it. Yet there are no signs of people passing, no tracks in the grass, no roads, so it is seems not to be used too often. Now, pay attention to what I'm doing and I'll teach you the spells we're going to use."

It took more than half an hour for Harry to learn the monitoring spells, but in the end his results were as better as his godfather's. They decided to put a double layer, each one keyed to one of them, just in case. Once the task was finished, they took a moment to consider their next move.

"I can see some mountains far to the north, so that could be a good direction to begin," started Sirius. "We might be able to get a better view of the surrounding area from there. Also, I think we should be looking for a source of fresh water too. I know we don't really need it, but animals have to drink. We will be able to hunt some for food, or maybe find some fish too. We'll check the forest on the way for edible fruits and I'll show you some spells to detect poisons. The Blacks had many enemies so these spells were taught to every family member at a young age."

"Sounds great, Sirius. You know, it will be almost like a vacation, hiking in the wild. Or like in one of the books I had to read for school, back before Hogwarts. I can be Robinson Crusoe and you'll be my faithful savage man-servant Friday. You're a bit too white, but a bit of mud, or a coloring charm and you'll be all set up. Now, did I tell you of that time in second year when me and Ron ended in the middle of the Forbidden Forrest? It was right after Hagrid has been arrested ..."

Talking and laughing, the two wizards started their journey, leaving behind the portal that had delivered them so far from home.

Comosicus

Unread postby someone » March 18th, 2012, 11:50 am

The changes look good imo, I hadn't even thought of changing the survival plan to Sirius, it works much better than what I had in mind. Please do add some boyscout!Sirius tales in later chapters when it is relevant.

Btw, I'm assuming you're planning to have them running into an SG team at some point, if you're keeping both the timelines intact at this moment you're exactly between the Stargate movie (1995) and S1E1 of Stargate SG-1 (feb 1997) (OOTP is in the 1995-1996 school year). So they'd either have to do nothing for ~6 months, or manage to dial one of the interesting planets (Abydos, Gaia, Tollana etc.) at random.
someone

Unread postby Comosicus » March 18th, 2012, 1:43 pm

It seems I was amiss with the timeline. I had thought that the DoM fight happened in '95, not '96. This works even a bit better, as there is less time to cover between the timelines converge and less time for the Wizarding world to go to hell. I am not sure though when will the timeline cross, but I think it will happen before the attack on Earth.

Most of the time will be spent getting Harry up to date (and beyond) with his magical education. I plan to draw on Auror!Sirius and the Black library knowledge he has to make Harry a good fighter. I think that at least half a year of personalized one-to-one training should make wonders, as Harry always seemed to be more of a practical learner.

I already have the plot bunny to make Harry a player on the galactic scale. I don't see it possible to have one or both of them as members of SG-1. They have duties first in the Magic World, but I want them as players on their own worth instead of soldiers in Dumbledore's Order.

I am unsure yet on how to tackle some plot points:
- ATA gene = magical potential (?):
Wizards will definitely be of Alteran descent, so they will all possess the gene. I am not sure about the reverse, where it is the gene itself that grants magic. There are possibilities of plot for both options. Imagine O'Neill as an untrained wizard, who's parents rejected his letter without telling him. I know I have seen this done in a fic or two.
- The Voldemort arc should not be very long. The moment you bring into play technology of galactic level, old Tom is a small fry. Maybe I can make it more interesting by having him partially ascended. Not on the level of Anubis, as he can manifest in a physical body, but enough to prevent his demise being a simple procedure.
- Parseltongue works on Goa'uld symbiotes.

Anything further is too unclear at this point and will depend on how I make the story until that point.
Comosicus

Unread postby Atharyn » March 18th, 2012, 2:00 pm

I think for the sake of simplicity you should have the ATA gene and magic be distinct. Otherwise it gets truly out of hand. Consider this:
1: Accidental magic happens. It tends to happen more when people are under stress.
2: Magic and technology don't get along in the Potterverse. (Note this is what is mentioned in the books. I don't recall anyone actually testing this.)
Thus: If accidental magic happens AND technology doesn't get along with magic, the first time O'Neil was under stress around, oh, say, a plane "bad things" would happen.

I'm sure that Sheppard would also have this problem..

There is also the "strength" of an ATA gene. Rodney got it through gene therapy. It didn't seem to do anything beyond the base-line of ancient technology activation. Sheppard had it so strong that the technology did exactly what he wanted even when he wasn't too serious about it. (Reference his first Puddle Jumper flight.) The only two individuals seen in the Stargate series who may have a stronger ATA gene are O'Neil and Daniel. Note I am assuming based off of Jack's manifesting the Ancient healing abilities and Daniel Ascending and then Descending..

Thoughts?
Atharyn

Unread postby someone » March 18th, 2012, 6:30 pm

What duties do Harry and Sirus have in the magical world? At this point in time neither actually knows about the whole 'Chosen One' thing. Harry hates his position in the magical world and Sirius is still a wanted fugitive. I'd think they'd both be very happy to never have contact with 99.9% of the wizarding world ever again. Even if that means for Harry that he doesn't get to see Ron and Hermione again, especially since he's had at least half a year of no hope of getting into contact with them anyway.

I don't think it was ever mentioned that Daniel had a particularly strong ATA gene, I don't see how ascending/descending would change your DNA, unless it'd made you into a real near-ascended being on Kalek's level (it doesn't). Maybe post-Prior!Daniel is stronger. Also, based on their first experience with a Puddle Jumper I'd say Sheppard>O'Neill... /off-topic

ATA-gene = magic doesn't really make sense (and has been done plenty of times before) the gene is present in a percentage of the people (the Atlantis expedition even selected a lot of it's (military/medical) personnel based on having it), while muggleborn wizards are one in tens of thousends iirc. Besides that, the ATA gene is hereditary, so it's highly unlikely that no one would have had any magical outbursts generation after generation. Cassandra could be magical, she's past school age when coming to Earth and 16 when she's affected with the Mind-Fire (might have gotten this idea from XSGCOM).

If you really want to screw up the timeline you could have them randomly find Abydos and meeting Daniel, then contacting Earth with him, causing the SGC to be formed earlier.

To become a player on the Galactic scale you need multiple planets worth of resources (or a single very advanced planet like Earth/Tollana/Ashen), how are they going to get those without joining one of the major powers or going Goa'uld/Asgard and posing as Gods somewhere?
someone

Unread postby Comosicus » March 19th, 2012, 1:11 am

The Tau'ri became galactic players with a squad of people and one nuke, but that is not the point. What I have in mind is to have Harry receive the legacy of the Ancients. I don't remember seeing anywhere else the particular way I plan to do it, so I hope I will remain original with this. Let's just say for now that the DoM archway did not choose a destination at random.

About the duties in Magical World, I acknowledge your points, but I don't see Harry having the power to end the insurrection and stay aside, doing nothing (I can't call it a war anymore when we compare it with things happening at the galactic level). At the very least it will be along the lines of "here, I took care of this for you, now sod off!". He might take some of his friends with him though when everything is done. Dobby will go for sure - after nearly loosing Harry once, the little bugger will stay glued to him from now on. Herminone could be tempted too. Also, image Luna and the Nox.

I also acknowledge the points made about the ATA gene. I will keep it separated from magical ability.
If you really want to screw up the timeline you could have them randomly find Abydos and meeting Daniel, then contacting Earth with him, causing the SGC to be formed earlier.
I can't have them do this. That chain of events is vital to having Teal'c join SG-1. If SGC is formed earlier, then Apophis won't be able to access the base at all and maybe won't be able to reach Abydos either. While this is a plot bunny that I would like to see developed into a story, I am not good enough at this moment to pull it through.

I have to wrap things up now, as I need to prepare to go to work.

Cheers!
Comosicus

Unread postby someone » March 19th, 2012, 3:04 am

The Tok'ra killed multiple Goa'uld and aren't regarded as more than a nuisance. The Tau'ri weren't considered to be major players until very late in the series, after Lost City. They have only a few teams, but a major planet's worth of resources to back it up (the only people with a higher population are the Ashen afaik).

How would Harry find out about the situation in Britain? He doesn't have access to any magical means of communication. In the books Hermione sends her parents to Australia when the situation goes to hell, without Harry there who needs her help what's preventing her from packing her bags and going with them as soon as sixth year (Australia/other countries must have a magical school too right?)? Luna+Nox has been done before iirc.

Legacy of the Ancients for me means Repository. If Harry finds an Ancient Repository and actually manages to take it in without dying you'd have instant win... But also instant curb-stomp. In any case, Ancient technology is indeed a pretty good way to gain parity against any odds.
If you really want to screw up the timeline
someone

Unread postby Comosicus » March 19th, 2012, 4:26 am

How would Harry find out about the situation in Britain? He doesn't have access to any magical means of communication. In the books Hermione sends her parents to Australia when the situation goes to hell, without Harry there who needs her help what's preventing her from packing her bags and going with them as soon as sixth year (Australia/other countries must have a magical school too right?)? Luna+Nox has been done before iirc.
You make a valid point about Hermione. Would you mind if I use your idea if I find it fitting with my plans?

So far, I am making this more or less as I go. I have a rough outline in my head, but I'm making things on the way a lot.
Legacy of the Ancients for me means Repository. If Harry finds an Ancient Repository and actually manages to take it in without dying you'd have instant win... But also instant curb-stomp. In any case, Ancient technology is indeed a pretty good way to gain parity against any odds.
If you really want to screw up the timeline
For my first story ever I don't mind a curb-stomp. For me the whole idea is to train my writing muscles, so to speak, while doing something fun. Also I want to be able to finish it in the not too far future. As such, I don't want to get too complicated. I'll save the more complicated stuff for the next stories.
Comosicus

Unread postby someone » March 25th, 2012, 5:05 pm

You make a valid point about Hermione. Would you mind if I use your idea if I find it fitting with my plans?
Feel free, I don't mind at all.
So far, I am making this more or less as I go. I have a rough outline in my head, but I'm making things on the way a lot.
Nothing wrong with that is there? Even if you had planned everything out, no one can think of everything that might happen.
someone

Unread postby Comosicus » May 22nd, 2012, 4:02 pm

It seems I have more problems than I anticipated in writing the rest of the character in a believable way. I'm trying to describe the debriefing after the battle but I can't make it right. I think of keeping only the first part, as an interlude and continue focusing on Harry and Sirius.

I've also been busy lately. I'm trying to get two websites up and running (my personal website and a project I've been planning for a while) and I find that free time and inspiration are quite a commodity. I understand fully now how our Authorlord has been kept away from his stories.

Anyway, here's the next part, unfinished as it is. Please let me know if you think it is worth trying to make a full chapter out of it or use the interlude approach and focus on our main heroes.

Albus Percival Brian Wulfric Dumbledore, considered by most the greatest wizard alive, was feeling the weight of all his many years of life, as he was staring at the empty archway that had stolen the Child of Prophecy. His trice cursed overconfidence and carelessness have been the catalyst of the chain of actions that had activated the ancient Portal. Oh, he knew that young Harry and his godfather were alive and not disintegrated in tiny atoms like Lucius Malfoy. His vast studies had shown him the true intended purpose of the device. But at this moment, for all purpose and intent, they were as good as dead for the Wizarding world, for no one had any idea about the destination of the Portal.

But now was not the time for pensive meditation. The entire fight was bound to bring the Aurors and the Unspeakables to investigate. Without any evidence of Riddle's presence, Fudge would be more than eager to put the entire blame on his shoulders. He had to protect the Order members and, most importantly, the young children that had accompanied Harry to the Ministry. So the wizened wizard straightened his shoulders and moved next to Mad Eye, who was raising himself from the stone floor.

"We have to get away from here, Alastor, old friend. Help our people get a hold of themselves and send them to gather the children. Relocate at the Burrow - we'll have to put it under Fidelius and use it as Headquarters. I am not sure what the status of 12 Grimmauld Place is at this very moment."

"What about this scum?" asked the grizzled old Auror. "You don't mean to let them go free. We are not sure if the Ministry would even arrest them and the Dark Lord would have no problem of getting them out of Azkaban again."

A heavy shadow covered Dumbledore's brow. He always insisted on following the Law and the Light in his fights. But the first war was won by a miracle and for the next one was already upon the Magical World. There were already two fronts open: one with Tom's forces and the other with the Ministry. With Harry missing, could he afford to play by the same rules? The realistic answer was NO. Hesitation and idealistic wishes would see countless innocents dead.

"You are right, Alastor. We can not afford anymore to play fair. Do you have a safe place to keep them? We need to interrogate them about any information they might have on Tom's plans. Take Lestrange and Malfoy's remains too. Leave nothing for the Ministry."

Moody gave a nod and together with Shacklebolt started searching the unconscious Death Eaters, relieving them of wands, portkeys, hidden weapons and other magical items. After restunning each and every one of them twice and binding them in conjured ropes for good measure, Moody took a deck of cards from his pocket and placed one on the chest of each captive. One tap of the wand and the prisoners started disappearing from the Ministry.

Meanwhile Dumbledore approached the still crying Lupin and tapped him gently on the shoulder. "Let's go, my boy. I promise you, they are not dead, just taken away from us for a while. We will find a way to get after them or they might find their way back on their own. Sirius is a full trained and capable wizards and young Harry has surprised both of us many times with his achievements. If anyone can achieve such a great task, it's them. Now, we have to think about the other children. Give them first aid and use this portkey to the Burrow. I will be there shortly with Madam Pomfrey, so that they can be really taken care of."

Moments later the halls of the Ministry of Magic were empty again, except for the wizened figure of Dumbledore. He followed the trail of destruction, towards the Hall of Prophecies, casting along the way a string of spells designed to make the individual magical signatures undistinguishable. It would not do for the Ministry to link the fight here to the six young children. His job done, he looked again to the trashed rows of prophecy balls, a heavy sigh escaping is chest. He then raised his hand absently, disappearing in a flash of phoenix fire.

=============================

It was evening the next day when the members of the Order of the Phoenix managed to gather together in the magically enlarged kitchen of the Burrow. Fatigue was visible on their faces and morale was at an all times low. A few were talking in low whispers, but most of the people present were waiting for Albus Dumbledore to start the meeting. It was several moments later that the old wizard stopped his own silent conversation with Moody and settled at the head of the table.

"Hello, dear friends and thank you for making it here tonight. We are going to discuss here the situation in the wake of the fight at the Ministry and what consequences it has for the future of our society. Please save your questions until everyone delivers their reports. They might provide the very answers you desire." He stopped for a moment to sip a bit of water, then started talking again: "I know that most, if not all of you are grieving the loss of Harry Potter and Sirius Black. I have some good news for you, though. I have rechecked my resources, some of them dating from the time of the Founders themselves and I can confirm without any doubt that the real purpose of the archway they have disappeared through is to create a portal to another place. They are not lost to us for ever, just sent away for a while."

He had to take a longer pause again, as his words provoked gasps of surprise from most of the people present and, in the case of Molly Weasley, tears and sobs of relief. She had taken the news of Harry's demise the hardest and nobody has been able to comfort her since. He knew that she was blaming herself for he way she had treated both Harry and Sirius

Comosicus

Unread postby someone » May 28th, 2012, 7:10 am

Why would they remove all evidence of the fight? They only need to take a few Death Eaters for information and Lestrange and Malfoy's remains in DE regalia would at least give a message to some people in the ministry.
someone

Unread postby Comosicus » May 31st, 2012, 11:21 am

At this moment Dumbledore and the Order are outlaws, fugitives. Without undeniable proof of Voldemort's return, Fudge will not believe anything Dumbledore says. Leaving behind LeStrange in Death Eater regalia will have no result either. IIRC the escape from Azkaban was blamed on Sirius as well. Any of the "public" Death Eaters would be considered under Imperius and released without much noise.

I'm also running with the idea that each wand has a signature - like rifling marks on firearms - that can be recovered and compared to get a match. By removing these magical signatures, Dumbledore "sanitizes" the crime scene. Most of all, he wants to prevent anyone in the Ministry from involving the children. With Harry's trial, Fudge showed he's not above taking revenge on children if it helps his goals. If he pushed for wand snapping and expulsion for a Patronus charm, I imagine that breaking in the DoM would involve a long stay in Azkaban.

At this moment Voldemort still does not know the prophecy and, most important, does not know that Harry is out of the game for a while. I think I will have Snape a good guy in the end, so he's not going to spill the beans to old Voldy. He also lost his top enforcer (Bella), most of his Inner Circle and his public figure (Malfoy). They are not in Ministry's hands, so he can't recover them. Harry's absence would be considered as Albus keeping him safe, especially if Snape reinforces this opinion. This will prevent him from storming the Wizarding World with impunity, maintaining more or less the status quo.

In fact I dare say that the one that gains most of the situation at this moment is Fudge. Voldemort keeps hidden, the BWL is missing and Dumbledore is on the run.
Comosicus

Unread postby someone » May 31st, 2012, 12:54 pm

Of course, removing the evidence that students/tOotP where there is a good idea, but removing all evidence of the Death Eaters just allows Fudge to say that nothing is going on. If there is evidence of Death Eaters there + the prophecy related to Voldemort missing + the fact that someone must have placed those 'upstanding citizens' under imperius, will at least force him to come up with a massive cover story. There must be some slightly competent people within the ministry that can be swayed.

If those people are released then (when they start fighting seriously) they can just kill those Voldemort supporters in their homes, place a Dark Mark and frame Voldemort, Fudge will do something when he starts killing poor innocent purebloods.
someone

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop