Viable crossover world for Freespace 2 universe

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Viable crossover world for Freespace 2 universe

Unread postby Comosicus » September 18th, 2012, 5:44 am

I have a plot bunny haunting me for a crossover with the Freespace universe (http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.ph ... e_Universe). Basically the idea is that during the supernova event at Capella at the end of FS2 one Alliance ship (most probably an Orion destroyer, although a Hecate could also be challenging to write) tries to enter subspace to escape destruction and ends up in another space and time.

The problem is finding a destination universe that will make sense without destroying the balance.
- My first option would be Mass Effect, but I only played the first two games (without mission DLCs). Anything would be AU from the end of ME2 - including the Reaper invasion.
- I was considering Stargate, but while it might give an edge in the first seasons, the Terran tech developed with Asgard and Ancient help is greatly superior.
- BattleStar Galactica might be a good match, but I am not familiar with the universe.
- Star Trek / Star Wars / WH 40K are way over the level where a single destroyer might make a difference.

Any thoughts?
Comosicus

Re: Viable crossover world for Freespace 2 universe

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » September 18th, 2012, 10:38 am

Instead of focusing on the ship, why not focus on the people crewing it? A single ship may not make a difference, but if you've got some exceptionally talented people on it, they could potentially shift the balance of power.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Re: Viable crossover world for Freespace 2 universe

Unread postby Comosicus » September 18th, 2012, 11:25 am

Instead of focusing on the ship, why not focus on the people crewing it? A single ship may not make a difference, but if you've got some exceptionally talented people on it, they could potentially shift the balance of power.
First, I'm just trying my "writing muscles" and I am not confident yet in my ability to flesh such characters properly. Also, in FreeSpace (1 and 2) the main characters are nameless pilots - there are basically two people that are characterized in solid any manner: Admiral Bosch () and Lt. Com. Snipes (a deep cover Spec Ops operative). I would have to invent such people and then it would be of any importance anymore whey they are coming from.

Second, by using a space sim as "seed", the main plot would center on the effect the new tech would introduce in the target universe. The ship itself might not make too much of a difference, but the technology it encapsulates can. And in this case I would choose an Orion because it also carries several squadrons of fighters and bombers, while still being a considerable threat on its own agains other capital ships. The Hecate is more like a carrier (less capital ship weaponry, more fighters/bombers). Smaller ships (like corvettes or cruisers) don't have hangars at all.

So I am basically focusing on an universe where the FreeSpace tech can shift the known course of history into something new. From the initial list I made only Mass Effect and Battlestar Galactica fit the bill and I am not "knowledgeable" enough in either of them (especially the latest).
Comosicus

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop