JG Induced Plot Bunny: Nanoha x HP Crossover Idea

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

JG Induced Plot Bunny: Nanoha x HP Crossover Idea

Unread postby jgkitarel » January 1st, 2013, 9:10 pm

Ok, it's not much to start with, I'll admit, but everything has to begin somewhere. While I'm still working on the prologue, figured I would at least start putting some of it out here, so that you all can start tearing it to shreds, helping me out and encouraging me (prays)
Spoiler: show
Magic Calls to Magic

Prologue: Hospitals

Nanoha Takamachi hated hospitals. She knew that they provided necessary services, but to her and her family, hospitals represented pain and suffering. However, when they had an injured boy literally drop in on them out of nowhere, they saw the need to bring him here.

She looked over to see her father talking with a doctor and a police officer, the officer nodding and saying something quiet to the doctor, despite the skeptical look on her face. It was obvious to Nanoha, that the doctor had a hard time believing the information her father was providing. Shiro Takamachi was known for his complete honesty to many, but believing that someone appeared out of thin air with those injuries would be hard to believe, even for those who saw it happen.

Still, her father was clearly experienced at explaining things to skeptical doctors and police officers, as the two eventually nodded, bowed and went on their way. She watched as her father sighed and simply headed back to where she was waiting with her brother.

Kyouya, her older brother, gave his father a searching look. “Well?”

Shiro shrugged. “Officer Matsumoto said he would look into it, but he was skeptical of learning anything.” He replied. “Doctor Ishida was even more skeptical, but she's dealt with us before, so she knows not to ask too many questions.”

Kyouya gave a dry chuckle. “She knows what the family business used to be?” He noticed Nanoha giving him a confused look and remembered that she didn't know that their family had once actively been involved in bodyguard work, along with the occasional targeted killing.

Shiro shot his son a warning look as he turned to his youngest child. “Nanoha,” he said. “Everything will be okay. The boy may have given us a bit of a fright with how he appeared, but his injuries are not that bad. They'll probably keep him overnight, just in case.”

“Excuse me, are you Shiro Takamachi?” A voice asked.

Shiro turned to see who just asked for his identity, noting that Kyouya moved slightly to give them both a clear path to the person and that Nanoha had already moved out of the way, and out of the person's immediate line of sight.

The most noticeable thing about the man was that there was nothing noticeable about him. Everything was average, forgettable and didn't stand out. From his facial features, to his clothing, he could be any one of a dozen people at the hospital for any reason. Shiro knew that the entire thing was deliberate and was immediately on guard.

“I am,” he replied. “And you are?”

The man bowed. “My apologies, Takamachi-san. My name is Keiichi Shirasawa. I am here because of that young boy you brought in, or more appropriately, due to the means he appeared in your household.” He held up a hand as Shiro opened his mouth. “I will explain shortly, but not here. Too public. I have already made arrangements for a meeting room so we may discuss this.”

Shiro looked at Nanoha. “Nanoha, go to your mother and stay with her and Miyuki.”

For Momoko Takamachi, being in the hospital brought back painful memories of her husband surviving a bombing by the Clover Terrorist Group that had been intended to kill him along with the principal he had been protecting. Only his quick actions had ensured that both of them survived, though her husband had been severely injured in the attack.

It had been touch and go for months while he had been in a coma, but his principal, Hiroshi Kamikura, had spared no expense in ensuring that the man who had saved his life received the best medical treatment available, having a doctor who was on his payroll work closely with Dr. Sachie Ishida in treating Shiro's injuries and the long physical therapy which had allowed her husband to make a near full recovery.

That event, culminating from a number of close calls and near misses, had encouraged her husband to fully retire from the bodyguard business and dedicate himself to running the Midori-ya Cafe, the family's bakery. Along with his taking her family name, the Fuwa clan had effectively ceased to exist, though their children were listed as heirs to the Fuwa clan name should they choose to claim their heritage.

So far, both Kyouya and Miyuki showed no indication of being willing to do so and Nanoha had not been fully informed of her heritage. Though, Momoko mused. It would not surprise me if she knew more than we told her. She's a highly intelligent girl and she has demonstrated that she does notice things that others would not, or think that she would not notice.

She looked to Miyuki, her eldest daughter. Well, niece would be more appropriate in the biological sense, but the girl had been adopted with her mother's consent. The teen was sitting on a bench right outside of the room where the boy was currently being treated, her face giving an appearance of worry, though anyone looking at her eyes would notice that they were constantly moving and taking everything in.

“Miyuki,” she chided. “You don't need to be on guard like that.”

Miyuki turned her eyes to her mother. “With how he appeared in front of us and how frightened he was, it makes me think we might,” she replied. “You noticed it as well. Something scared him badly enough to send him all the way out here from where he was.”

Momoko could only nod. For how surprising it was to have a boy appear out of thin air like that, especially the sound, something had to have made him do that. She wasn't one to believe in the unusual, but she was also not one to disbelieve, either. The fact that whatever he did had managed to cause him to be in enough pain to render him unconscious was also a concern.

A concern which was validated when they got him to the hospital. Old fractures, malnutrition, signs of previous internal bleeding, all of which showed signs of not being treated painted a grim picture on his life. Her eyes hardened at the obvious signs of physical abuse and she did not want to think on what his mental state was like.

The fact that he would find himself in a strange place and most likely did not speak the language would make things harder on him, though both herself and Shiro spoke fluent English and many of the hospital staff were at least conversant in it. Assuming that English was his native language, of course.

It would take some work, but she was sure that some favors could be called in to allow her family to see to the boy for the time being while his situation could be resolved, if they didn't just take him in themselves.

She noticed her youngest approaching her and felt a spike of alarm at the puzzled concern on the girl's face. Something was happening which had Nanoha somewhat confused, but she knew that things may be turning out wrong.

Shiro looked at the man who had brought both him and his son to an unoccupied room while his son immediately took a position which got him in place to move quickly, either to attack, or flee. His own eyes met the man's calmly.

“Ok, we're here,” He said. “Now, Shirasawa-san, what is it you wished to talk about?”

Keiichi Shirasawa calmly took a seat and indicated to both Shiro and Kyouya to do so, though he made no comment when the younger of the two politely refused. “Takamachi-san, I apologize for all of this, but the young man whom you brought in had arrived in a spectacular fashion which drew some attention.”

“You mean, how he appeared out of thin air with a sound that is more closely aligned with a high-caliber gun going off?”

The man nodded. “Indeed. His method of arriving is an ability which is routinely used by only a small subset of the population. Perhaps less than one in a thousand possess it.”

Shiro started at that. “You mean that one in a thousand people can simply teleport like that?”

Keiichi chuckled. “Not quite. The number of people who can do that is quite a bit smaller.” He looked at Shiro. “No, the teleportation is simply one thing that can be done by individuals such as him. It's not the only ability they have.” He gave looked at Shiro directly in the eyes. “Normally, I would not be doing this due to regulations and rules, but your reputation for being trustworthy and being able to keep secrets is well known in many circles, so a clear exception is being made.

“Tell me, Takamachi-san, do believe in magic?”

Shiro had sent Kyouya to bring Momoko over as the two of them began to talk with the man that the Japanese Bureau of Magical Relations had sent over. For the next two hours, they discussed the reason that the boy, Harry Potter, had managed to teleport himself from England to Japan, a feat which was considered suicidal at the best of times.

“Apparition, Takamachi-san, is a very dangerous method of transport, both for the person doing it and anyone he has with him.” Keiichi explained. “European magical folk, wizards in their parlance, do it routinely, but they are also known to have an almost reckless disregard for their personal safety. Even so, the most proficient at it would not attempt to apparate more than a few hundred kilometers, and only to a place they are intimately familiar with. Doing so blindly, at the distance the boy did has been attempted, but each time usually ended up in the respective wizard dying quite messily. It does have the benefit of being extremely difficult to track and virtually impossible over long distances, though.”

Shiro winced at the calm tone that Keiichi was using. “In other words, the fact that he survived, let alone did it successfully, is remarkable.”

Keiichi chucked. “To say the least, though I would not recommend that he attempt so again.” He frowned. “Now, as for young Harry, he is known to the larger magical community, if only because he survived an attempt on his life from a madman who used a spell that has, until him, been universally fatal to the recipient. It was fatal for his parents.”

Momoko gasped at that.

“So, he's an orphan?” Shiro asked.

Keiichi nodded. “He is, though he was supposed to be looked after. Back to how he apparated across the world, I will be honest Takamachi-san, he probably did not even know he was doing it. When he did, his only thought was probably of escape from whatever situation he was in. Why he arrived at your household was almost certainly pure chance.”

“And a fortunate bit of chance at that,” Momoko acknowledged.

“Shirasawa-san,” Shiro cut in. “You aren't telling us all of this to simply inform us, so why don't we cut to the heart of the matter.”

Keiichi nodded. “My apologies, Takamachi-san, but I felt that it would be best to give you some information.” He took a deep breath. “Mr. Potter's case is unusual for us and we wish to know if you and your family would be willing to look after him while we sort the matter out, since he did appear right in front of you. We don't expect this to take more than a week or two and your family will be properly compensated.”

Shiro and Momoko looked at each other and began to converse quietly for several minutes.

Keiichi noted that while Shiro was far more reserved in whether he would be willing to take in the boy, the man's wife was more than willing to, especially if it was for such a short time period. He noted a few words, such as malnourished, old injuries and clear signs of abuse which made him frown. He knew from his superiors that they had already sent an investigator to England in order to determine what had happened.

However, he did not know whether they had decided to report that Mr. Potter had arrived in Japan. Considering the relations between Japan's magical community and the European magical community, he doubted that they had.

He also considered the likelihood that they boy had been attacked and had fled in desperation. For all that the Japanese magical community followed protocols and tradition, a boy who was not even seven managed to apparate halfway across the world and landed virtually in their laps.

That was a good indication of the boy's current power, even if it was fueled by fear. It also said a lot about his potential, potential that he knew several families would love to have added to their own bloodlines if practicable. They wouldn't force the boy, but Keiichi could easily see them waiting until his teens to start giving him offers, or at least to consider staying in Japan.

The fact that it would score a massive coup on the Europeans was merely an added bonus.

Shiro and Momoko finished their quiet conversation and looked at him.

“Shirasawa-san,” Shiro stated. “We would be happy to look after the boy while his situation gets resolved.”

Keiichi smiled. “Excellent. Once the boy wakes up, we will gather everyone relevant together to discuss this further. There are some secrecy statutes involving magic that you need to be aware of as well.”

The first thing Harry realized as he came to was that he was not in his relative's house. As he cracked his eyes open, the light made him wince a bit as he slowly got his bearings. He heard a voice to his right saying something in a language he didn't understand and as he looked, it was a woman in a white coat holding a clipboard. A look around indicated that he was in a hospital.

He looked back to the woman, a doctor or a nurse, he believed and saw that there was a young brown-haired girl talking to the woman, while an older girl in her teens just watched. Well, until she apparently noticed that he was awake. She said something to the woman who then looked at him.

“Ah,” she thankfully said in English. “You are awake.” Harry noticed her accent was odd, but understandable, especially since she was seeming to make sure she was speaking correctly. Still, he wanted to know where he was.

“Where am I?” He asked.

“You are at Uminari University Hospital, young man.” The doctor replied.

Ah, that made sense. He was at a hospital named Uminari University Hospital.

Wait a moment.

“I'm where, again?”

The doctor blinked. “Uminari University Hospital, young man.” She seemed to think for a moment. “In Uminari, Japan.”

The statement that he was in Japan didn't quite register on him at first as he looked around the room. He saw something written on the wall and realized he could not understand what it said as it was not in English. It was then that he registered that the doctor said he was in Japan.

“In Japan,” he said dully. “I'm in Japan, across the world from...” He looked at the doctor and the other two in the room. “Can someone tell me how I am in Japan when I should be in England?”

The doctor was about to say something when the older girl told the younger girl something. The girl replied in that same language. I'm in Japan, so it's probably Japanese. Harry thought. He noted that the young girl looked at him, smiled and said something in her language before she left the room.

The older girl smiled at him and asked the doctor something. The doctor smiled and nodded before looking back to him.

“Nanoha went to go get her parents and older brother. They were the ones to bring you here, so they can tell you more.” She looked at him. “Ah! I forgot.” She smiled ruefully. “I am Doctor Ishida, young man, can you tell me your name?”

Harry nodded. “Harry Potter, my name is Harry Potter.”

Doctor Ishida smiled. “Now, Potter-san, can you tell me what happened?”

Harry looked at the girl who had remained in the room questioningly. She returned his look for a second before pointing to herself. “Uh, my name is Miyuki, Takamachi Miyuki.” She told him haltingly. She looked to Doctor Ishida and asked a question which Harry supposed was if she had said it right. Considering how she had addressed herself, he wondered briefly if her name was Miyuki or Takamachi and figured, rightly he would find out, that her name was Miyuki.

He then remembered that the doctor had asked him what had happened to land him in the hospital.

He was wondering that himself, especially since it was a hospital on the other side of the world. The last things he could remember was being left alone by his relatives, again, a fire, the doors and windows refusing to open. He remembered that he had wished to be anywhere else but where he was. And then, a squeezing sensation that felt like an eternity before ending. He couldn't remember much after that as he hit something and was knocked out.

He told as much to the doctor, who looked skeptical, but shrugged it off. Despite her relative youth for her position as a respected doctor, she had treated and seen many things. For all that she had little belief in the spiritual or magical, she knew that there was always more out there to be discovered and learned.

Still, if such a fantastic story is how me kept himself more or less together, rather than panicking, she would humor him for now. It was clear to her that he had no idea what had really happened and was trying to cope with it the best he could.

Shiro and Momoko stepped out of the room they had their discussion with Keiichi Shirasawa and looked to each other.

“Shiro,” Momoko said to her husband. “Is it strange for me to think that the world had changed for us?”

Shiro shook his head. “No, dear.” He replied. “It's not strange to think that.” His look became pensive. “What Shirasawa-san said was strange, but true. He also demonstrated some of his magic to show that he was not lying.” He sighed. “I'll be honest, the fact that magic exists explains a few things about young Harry's arrival, and some things I've seen in the past when I was in my old line of work.”

His wife nodded her understanding. “I guess that being a bodyguard could expose you to it, even if you didn't know what it was.” She frowned. “Still, something about what he said is nagging at me. He basically said that the boy, Harry, had been driven by fear to do what he did and end up appearing in front of us all.”

“Yes,” Shiro agreed. “I think he believes that the boy was attacked, or was targeted. He did say that the matter was being looked into, but I wonder what they are looking into. I also think that they are also looking into a way to keep him in Japan, or at least to have strong ties to it.”

Momoko looked at her husband. “What do you mean, dear?”

Shiro shrugged. “It's nothing concrete, but Shirasawa-san indicated that what he did took a lot of power to pull off. I can think of a few reasons due to that.” He then noticed his youngest coming down the hall. “Nanoha, I thought you were with Miyuki.”

The girl stopped in front of her parents. “He's awake,” she simply said. “Doctor Ishida said I should find you two and bring you over.”

Shiro sent Momoko ahead and then noticed that Keiichi was still nearby, but keeping a polite enough distance to give some privacy. He motioned for the man and they started walking to the room that Harry had been assigned. Shiro looked to the man.

“So, how do we explain this to him?” He asked.

Keiichi frowned as he thought about that. To be honest, he couldn't come up with an answer that he was pleased with.

Nanoha continued to walk to the room where the boy had been taken to, thinking about what had happened over the last few hours. They had a few shocks with how the boy appeared out of thin air like he did, not to mention the sound, but her father had quickly taken charge and checked the then unconscious boy before telling her mother to call for an ambulance to get him to the hospital.

After that, it was her father talking with doctors, the occasional police officer and then that man who seemed to just blend into the crowd unless she looked right at him. The fact that he had pulled her father aside, before Kyouya came for their mother and brought her over to where they were talking had puzzled her, but it seemed that they had decided on something.

She didn't know what had been decided, but as she walked into the room where the boy had been taken, she decided that it couldn't be too bad.

Years later, she would look back on this unusual day fondly, as it would be what introduced her to magic. She would assume that she couldn't use it, at first, but the introduction to a boy named Harry Potter made the events that would happen later much less of a personal burden for her.
Last edited by jgkitarel on January 17th, 2013, 6:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Re: JG Induced Plot Bunny: Nanoha x HP Crossover Idea

Unread postby Nitramy » January 3rd, 2013, 1:43 am

Intriguing.

Please continue.
slowly but surely / the moon / quietly goes to the stars
my fanfiction.net profile
Nitramy

AOL: linuxblacksarena

Unread postby jgkitarel » January 3rd, 2013, 9:15 pm

Working on it right now. Further additions to the prologue will be tacked onto the post where it was placed, with individual chapters on separate posts.

Parts of chapters will most likely be individualized at first and then consolidated onto the post which originated the chapter.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » January 7th, 2013, 7:11 pm

The prologue is almost complete. Man, I remember when I could crank out something like this in a few hours or a couple of days. Anyway, added some more to it in the first post.

jgkitarel

Unread postby DIT_grue » January 7th, 2013, 9:03 pm

Perhaps each new section could go in a separate spoiler tag? Finding where the new material starts is a non-trivial exercise.

Anyway, I like what you have so far.
DIT_grue

Unread postby jgkitarel » January 8th, 2013, 6:17 pm

I'll be doing it that way once I finish the prologue. I want to have that as a cohesive whole right now for some odd reason. One thing I am noticing is that I am having to be very careful here, as I run a distinct risk of generating a plot hole you could fly the Arthra through if I don't watch myself.

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » January 17th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Prologue finished and put into the first post, as I said I would do. Now, got a bit (a few paragraphs of the first chapter for you here. Will be doing separate posts for additions from this point on.

So, without further ado, here's a small tease for the first chapter.
Chapter One: An English Wizard in Japan

As he stepped out of the car, Harry considered that he had no idea of what to make of his situation Until earlier that day, well, it was early morning now where he was, he had lived with his relatives at Number 4, Privet Drive in Little Whigning, England. Well, he lived with them until they left him home alone, again, with a list of chores to do around the house, again, while they took his cousin, Dudley some place for a reason he didn't bother learning.

Then, a fire happened, which he couldn't explain. For all that they made him do the chores, his aunt, Petunia, had made sure that he learned how to maintain a clean house and had said that he did a tolerable job, a high compliment from her given her impossible standards. He knew that anything remotely flammable was well away from any heat source, unless you counted the windows the sun had been shining through. It was as he tried to escape that he learned that the windows and doors would not open, despite his unlocking them. He had tried to open most of them in a rising panic, the smoke starting to choke him, when he wished to be somewhere else, anywhere else, but there.

He then suddenly felt as if he was being squeezed through a tube the wrong way, painfully so after a few moments, when he apparently arrived to where he was going. That didn't register on him, since he had been running to another window when it happened and the motion carried over, slamming him into a wall and into unconsciousness for several hours until he woke up in a hospital. It was then that he realized that his wish to be elsewhere had come true, but it had sent him a bit farther than he probably wanted.

A bit farther was probably an understatement, considering he was now in Japan, on the other side of the world. At least some of them spoke English, though their accents were unusual and took him a moment to work through. That, however, was the least of the things that he would find out.

Meeting with the rest of the Takamachi family as well as the man named Keiichi Shirasawa had provided the rest of the shocks to his system. Learning that his arrival was due to magic, his own magic for that matter, was probably the biggest shock he had.
Feel free to tell me what I need to fix. I know full well that I am leaving issues here.

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » January 24th, 2013, 10:06 pm

Not an update, sorry to say, but a bit of world building which I will post as I write and fine tune over the course of the story. Part of this comes from the simple fact that in both stories, things are not explained adequately or are simply handwaved away. This is not necessarily to the detriment of the story, as there are things that the ones being entertained either fill in for themselves, or just don't need to really bother with.

Here, I go in to defining mage ranks in the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha verse, as they play a role in this story. Keep in mind that some parts may be changed over the course of the story, or just simply be further refined in their definitions as things progress, but I believe this will serve as a decent baseline for right now.

Keep in mind that I consider mage ranks as to be far less precise than MGLN would indicate, as I operate on an assumption that what may be apparent on the surface does not tell the whole story. Also, I consider just simple magical power to be only a part of the equation, so a AAA rank power mage may be ranked lower due to a number of factors such as experience, control, ability or lack of training.

Magical Ranking:

F Rank: Negligible magic. This rank only applies to people who possess magic or abilities which could be considered magical, but are so limited that training them would be considered a waste of time. A good example would be a squib from the Harry Potter universe, as they have a magical lineage and even some magic, but it is so limited as to be effectively untrainable by conventional wisdom.

E Rank: The lowest rank for a mage. Equates to minimal ability and/or potential to use magic, both in power and control. This is also the default ranking for an untrained mage, regardless of any other factors until the mage is properly evaluated. Common in young children and adolescents who are only beginning training.

D Rank: Below average power, ability, or both. This rank is often held by youths who are beginning serious training outside of the basic minimum required for all mages. It is held by few adults and fully trained mages, the majority of whom are this way due to having their magic sealed with a limiter to some degree as punishment or for their own safety.

C Rank: Average mage ranking. This rank is considered the minimum threshold for operational mages in the TSAB, as mages of this rank will receive extensive training to either improve their ability and power, or they will be moved to more specialized training to take advantage of their abilities. This rank is also considered the minimum ranking for a fully trained adult. This rank is considered the minimum threshold for limited flight magic, though there are cases of mages of lesser ranks being able to do so.

Children who are of this rank are required by law on many worlds to receive training for their own safety, even if such training would be reserved for older students otherwise. The number of children born or who demonstrate this level before puberty are roughly one in twenty to one in ten.

B Rank: Above Average in power and ability. Mages of this rank tend to be noted for power and are often experienced mages with several years of experience and training behind them. At this level, the number of children with this ability drops considerably, there being an average of one in seventy-five to one in fifty who display this level of power and/or ability before puberty. On some worlds, the number of children with this level naturally can be as low as one in two hundred. (Earth's average: one in one hundred fifty).

A Rank: High Ability. Perhaps one in ten adult mages reach this level of ability after decades of experience and training. The average age of such mages is usually around their early thirties, though there are plenty of mages who are younger than that. Children with this degree of power and ability naturally are usually once in a generation amongst a given mage population, though it is not unheard of for a young mage of C or B Rank to receive specialized training and attain this rank before the age of 20.

AA Rank: Highly powerful and capable, mages of this rank are often considered elites, or potential elites. Most frequently the result of extensive training and experience, most mages of this rank become highly specialized to achieve it. Children of this level are perhaps once in a generation over several worlds and are considered magical prodigies.

AAA Rank: Elite mage under just about any circumstance. Much like anything, this is the result of training, experience and specialization. Children who are like this are perhaps once in a century or longer, period.

S Ranks: Mages of S rank or higher are the elite of the elite in terms of power, ability or both. The number of mages who make it this far are a handful of a handful, perhaps one in a thousand over the course of years of training and experience, but they take it much further than the A ranks.

It is not just power which makes an S Rank or higher mage, but demonstrated ability, control and the fact that their presence in any given situation or specialty is considered to be the rarest of all gems. A mage can train all his or her life and not reach this for any number of reasons, even if they started as a AAA rank mage. There has to be something more there in the form of natural talent, or just simple stubborn refusal to accept things like limits exist for them and then proving that fact. Mages of this caliber are often discovered early, regardless of what their current rank is.

Due to this, S rank mages tend to be arrogant, often with good reason. However, that same trait also means that S rank mages who take combat roles tend to live short lives, as their same talents and abilities, not to mention a tendency towards overconfidence, which eventually puts them in a situation where they find themselves in over their heads before they can develop the experience necessary to ensure their survival. If they can get past this point, they often become legends, for good, or ill, as it may be.

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » February 3rd, 2013, 9:27 pm

More world building for y'all. In this segment, I try (key word, try) to explain what magic is and almost certainly fail badly at it.
A Definition of Magic

Magic in this story is partially what is conventionally believed to be magic (i.e. an unexplainable phenomenon) and partially a developed science with actual understood rules, theories and laws. This is largely due to the necessity of meshing what would otherwise be two highly incompatible elements between a major aspect of the canon of the two stories.

This can be a significant issue, especially since I intend to have characters from both series use magic along the lines that were established in both. Therefore, I need to establish a definition of what magic is in the context of the story. But first, what is magic and how does it get used.

Magic, in the context of the story is the manipulation of energy via an organ which is by conventional science, an impossibility, as it does no exist in a physical state that can be easily measured. For the sake of simplicity, I have decided to remain with the definition which was established in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: The Linker Core.

The Linker Core is an organ which exists only in living things, but half a step out of phase with the physical universe. Observations using magic and later magical technology which had been developed during the early years of the Belkan Empire, it was theorized to be the essential element which brought about life, that essential spark, it can be said. Later discoveries would prove this theory false, but it is clear that the majority of organic life, regardless of origins or type, possesses one. The few examples which are otherwise are extremely rare and of such an exotic type that it is theorized that such life forms may originate from another reality.

Anyway, the Linker Core serves as an essential element for life, especially intelligent life and is the key to using magic. Most life forms have a linker core which is too faint to make the use of magic feasible, though there are beasts which have remarkably developed ones, they are still less so than those of even a non-magical human, though there are cases of beasts having unusually powerful cores. Sentient life has the most developed linker cores, though only a small ratio of any given population will have ones developed to the point where the use of magic becomes possible, let alone feasible.

Anyway, enough of a tangent there.

Magic is the direct manipulation of energy, an energy which on many worlds has been noted to operate along mathematically proven rules and fundamentals. These rules and fundamentals are the same at the base level, though each style takes this and does things differently.

The simplest way to describe the differences would be to compare the differences between frequency modulation methods, such as the fact that the Belkan Style operates via a method that is mathematically similar to Gaussian Minimum Shift Keying, while the Mid-Childan Style operates along lines similar to Phase Shift Keying.

This comparison is, at best, a loose example, but it does show just how different the styles are, despite the fact that they both operate under the same mathematical rules. This does not mean that the users of such styles entirely understand what magic precisely is, though.

Part of the difficulty is that directly observing magic in a rest state is fiendishly difficult to begin with and that doing so can have results that seem to be contradictory and mutually exclusive. Observing magic being manipulated of in an active state, however, is easy with the proper instrumentation, which is how the base fundamentals which make up the mathematics behind magic were discovered.
As far as explanations go, it's rather poor, I admit, but trying to pin down an easy explanation of just what magic is, is a bit difficult. Hence, why we call it "magic."

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » March 5th, 2013, 11:42 pm

An update for you all. Some of the material was previously there, but it has been a bit and I made some changes. Work, distractions (mostly distractions) and stuff kind of interfered with the writing.
As he stepped out of the taxi, Harry considered that he had no idea of what to make of his situation Until the previous day, he had lived with his relatives at Number 4, Privet Drive in Little Whigning, England. Well, he lived with them until they left him home alone, again, with a list of chores to do around the house, again, while they took his cousin, Dudley some place for a reason he didn't bother paying attention to.

Then a fire happened, which he couldn't explain. For all that they made him do the chores, his aunt, Petunia, had made sure that he learned how to maintain a clean house and had said that he did a tolerable job, a high compliment from her given her impossible standards. He knew that anything remotely flammable was well away from any heat source, unless you counted the windows the sun had been shining through. It was as he tried to escape that he learned that the windows and doors would not open, despite his unlocking them. He had tried to open most of them in a rising panic, the smoke starting to choke him, when he wished to be somewhere else, anywhere else, but there.

He then suddenly felt as if he was being squeezed through a tube the wrong way, painfully so after a few moments, when he apparently arrived to where he was going. That didn't register on him, since he had been running to another window when it happened and the motion carried over, slamming him into a wall and into unconsciousness for several hours until he woke up in a hospital. It was then that he realized that his wish to be elsewhere had come true, but it had sent him a bit farther than he probably wanted.

A bit farther was probably an understatement, considering he was now in Japan, on the other side of the world. At least some of them spoke English, though their accents were unusual and took him a moment to work through. That, however, was the least of the things that he would find out.

Meeting with the rest of the Takamachi family as well as the man named Keiichi Shirasawa had provided the rest of the shocks to his system. Learning that his arrival was due to magic, his own magic for that matter, was probably the biggest shock he had.

After that, it became hazy as he tried to process what he had been told, but he recalled that arrangements had been made for him to stay with the Takamachi family for the next few weeks as the entire issue got sorted out.

That did not change the fact that he was stuck in another country on the other side of the world for the time being. It was after all the shocks that Doctor Ishida had come by and said that visiting hours were about to end, mentioning it in both Japanese and English for all the occupants.

After everyone had left, she simply smiled and told him that he would be staying overnight, just to be safe and then asked him if he was hungry. She seemed pleased when he said yes before an orderly brought in some food. He recognized the rice and saw some kind of soup along with a small bit of meat and plenty of vegetables. It didn't taste like anything he was familiar with, but that was less of a concern for him. Food was food, after all, though he gave up on using the chopsticks after failing to pick the food up with them and simply used the spoon provided for the soup.

It was after eating that he decided to get some sleep, a part of him hoping it was simply a dream, part of him desperately hoping it was not.

When he woke up the next morning, he didn't know whether to be pleased or upset that it was not a dream.

At least the hospital had provided him something to wear besides his cousin's ill-fitting castoffs, though from the look on Doctor Ishida's face, she had not been happy that his family had neglected to provide him with clothing that actually fit him, or was in good repair.

He didn't know what to make of her reaction, since it was clearly not directed at him.

Shiro looked at the boy as he got out of the taxi, noting that he had been quiet during the trip from the hospital. He could understand why the boy was troubled about his current situation, but he was impressed that the boy had not sunk into a panic like many people would. It either meant that young Harry made of sterner stuff than most, or that the full impact of things had not sunk in as of yet.

Well, he might as well break the ice, since they arrived.

“Harry,” he said in English. “Welcome to my family's home. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.”

Harry started, but, collected himself quickly. “Uh, thank you, Mr. Takamachi.”

Shiro smiled at the boy as his wife opened the door and let them in. He wasn't surprised that she was still at home, rather than at the cafe they jointly owned. The fact that they had been asked to look after Harry by a government official meant that she was willing to hold off on heading to the cafe until she got him settled in.

As he walked in, he noticed that Nanoha was sitting in the living room doing her homework, or at least pretending to do it, but Kyouya and Miyuki seemed to be absent.

“I sent Kyouya and Miyuki to open up the cafe.” Momoko told him when he asked where their two eldest were. He nodded and looked to Harry, who had been standing by quietly, though the boy had been taking in the house curiously. Momoko looked to him and smiled gently and beckoned for him to come in from the door.

Harry nervously looked around and then stepped in, removing his shoes from long habit. He stood in the entryway for a bit before he seemed to gather himself and slowly put his shoes down. He noted that Momoko had continued to smile softly and stepped toward him.

Taking his hand, she led him to the living room and guided him to a chair, rather than the couch and indicated that he should take a seat. He noticed that their youngest daughter, Nanoha if he recalled correctly, had stopped pretending to be doing whatever she was doing and had turned her attention to him as well.

He sat there answering questions that both Shiro and Momoko asked, though he noticed the looks they shared as he carefully chose his words when he asked questions about his home life, providing words, but saying little about it, until Momoko began to gently ask a few more questions, carefully choosing her own words to get him to open up. He didn't notice when he began answering questions regarding his relatives more freely, though he was still not providing full details, they were able to get a lot of information on how he had long since resigned himself to living with them, regardless of how much he disliked it. Neither of the elder Takamachi members pressed him any further on the matter.

Had he known what he was telling them from what he said and, just as importantly, didn't say, he would have been surprised. As it was, he had a feeling that they suspected that his home life had not been a happy one, though he was glad that they hadn't asked any further.

He noted that the girl, Nanoha if he remembered correctly, had a slightly confused and frustrated expression on her face until she turned to Mrs. Takamachi and asked her a question.

jgkitarel

Unread postby DIT_grue » March 6th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Typo - you have 'Whigning' instead of 'Whinging'.

The paragraph about the two older children having been sent to open the cafe - would Shiro actually ask the question, rather than raising an eyebrow or something? Conceivably, that part of the conversation was still in English and mostly for Harry's benefit; I couldn't begin to guess whether or not that's a good idea in-character. As a reader, if that was the intention it probably needs clarification. Actually, thinking about that, I would suggest you need another editing pass looking for ways to show rather than tell, because from that point of view the whole post seems kind of, "This happened. Then that happened. Then another thing happened."
DIT_grue

Unread postby jgkitarel » March 7th, 2013, 8:17 pm

Thanks for the head's up. I tend to forget that I have a tendency to mentally fill in the blanks and not put them in writing.

jgkitarel

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop