Between Magic and Mount Justice HP/Young Justice Xover

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Re: Unnamed Harry Potter/Young Justice Xover

Unread postby MrRigger2 » February 13th, 2013, 12:37 am

Part Twenty-Five!
Spoiler: show
Harry moved through the hallways, keeping to the shadows, watching his targets. There always seemed to be shadows in Hogwarts, one of the hazards of lighting half the hallways with natural light and torches. Granted, it did make it easy to move around undetected.

His targets were heading down to the basements, in the direction of the Hufflepuff Common Room. Interesting. Nobody was supposed to know where it was. What else would they be looking for?

The targets came to a stop in front of a large painting of fruit. They glanced back and forth before tickling the singular pear. The painting swung open, and the duo stepped inside, the painting closed again.

Harry dropped out of the shadows and walked over to the painting. Strictly speaking, it didn’t look too much like a magical painting. Nothing was moving, though fruit didn’t tend to move on its own. But Harry suspected that if any other painting wandered through, they’d be able to pick up the fruit and eat it.

Though that raised the question. If another painting ate the fruit from the painting in front of him, would the fruit go away permanently, or would the painting eventually return to its original state?

Oh well, that was a question for another time, and probably one to be posed to a teacher. Professor Flitwick would know. Actually, were the paintings animated via some sort of Charm? Or was it a permanent Enchantment? Did they teach Enchanting at Hogwarts? Harry hadn’t found a list of the upper level classes, but he knew there were additional courses offered to the advanced students.

He was getting distracted again. Harry tickled the pear and the painting swung open.

It was a gigantic, high-ceilinged room, with five tables just like in the Great Hall, but covered in brass cookware and cooking utensils. A huge brick oven was at the back of the room, and Harry could feel the heat all the way out at the doorway.

“Fred! George! What are you doing here?”

The two redheads turned around guiltily. “We can explain – oh, it’s just you, Harry,” Fred said.

“We’re just getting a bite to eat. Too long to the next meal, you know.”

“And we’ve got to keep our energy up.”

“What with Wood running us ragged every practice.”

“Shh, don’t tell him that.”

“True, I suppose he does belong to the enemy team.”

“Not that he isn’t alright in other ways.”

“For an ickle firsty.”

“And everybody knows how Quidditch-mad Wood gets.”

“Too true, that.”

“Guys, I just wanted to know what you all were doing down here. You were the ones who started talking Quidditch practice.”

“I suppose that’s true.”

“I don’t see what it matters though.”

Harry rolled his eyes. “So these are the kitchens? Just… who… is making the food?”

“The House Elves. Never seen one before?”

“Can’t say I have.”

“Most Muggle-raised haven’t.”

“So, what’s a House Elf?”

“That’s a House Elf. Short little green thing, big ears, thought that was a bit obvious.”

“Most of the hob-knob families buy the services of at least one, sometimes more. And Hogwarts needs them to keep everything clean. Who do you think does your laundry?”

“And do you think your food cooks itself?”

“And only a fool would think Filch actually spends time away from skulking around the halls and menacing students to clean the castle.”

“I haven’t had any trouble with him. He never really seems to notice me.”

“Really? He’s a right arse he is. Never passes up the chance to give out detention.”

“Even checks the tapestries and dark corners with a mop handle.”

“So untrustworthy.”

“It’s tragic, Fred, it really is.”

“So House Elves are paid servants?”

“Not quite.”

“Bonded servants.”

“You buy them and board them.”

“But they aren’t paid daily wages.”

“So they’re slaves.” Harry’s face was beginning to darken.

Fred and George were quick to hold their hands up and shake their heads. “No, not slaves. Bonded servants.”

“I think there’s a ceremony when you bring them into the household.”

“And they love the work. Really enjoy themselves.”

“The elves here love us.”

“They call me Mr. Messes One.”

“And I’m Mr. Messes Two.”

“They never mix us up, either.”

“It’s so disappointing.”

“But they feed us whenever we want.”

“That makes up for it.”

This was getting dizzying. “I still don’t like the way it sounds, but I can do that research on my own. How’d you two even find this place? You don’t go around tickling all the paintings, do you?”

“Don’t you know, troublemakers always know the secret spots.”

“As for how we found it, we can’t give away all our secrets.”

“But what about you? How’d you find the kitchens?”

“Found them faster than we did, you cheeky firsty.”

“Oh, I just had these two troublemakers show me the way in. Guess they need to be better at covering their tracks.”

“You’re right, George, he is cheeky.”

“Somebody might take offense.”

“But not us, George.”

“Certainly not, we’ve got a great sense of humor.”

Harry raised a finger. “Speaking of you two not taking offense at things, I wanted to talk to you. About Draco Malfoy.”

“Ah, our favorite test subject.”

“Goes redder than Ron half the time, he does.”

“About that, actually. I’d like you to lay off him, at least for a while.”

“Why would we do that?”

“He impinged our honor.”

“We have honor?”

“We must have, he impinged it.”

“Or do you have an idea for him?”

“Can we help? Mentoring a budding prankster sounds like it might be fun.”

“No, I don’t have anything planned. But I’ve just noticed that you guys are going after him pretty hard. I don’t have any problem with pranks normally, but you’re two Third Years spending half your time going after a First Year. It’s making you look like bullies.”

“Bullies! We’re no such thing!”

“The Weasley Twins are the Premier Pranksters of Hogwarts!”

“Supreme Scoundrels!”

“Jovial Jesters!”

“Which is why you want to lay off Malfoy. I mean, going after a First Year like that, it’s an easy target. If you’re really the best pranksters in school, you might want to pick a harder target. People might think you’re going soft.”

“Blasphemy!”

“Heresy!”

“But young Harry may have a point. We’ll have to do something about this.”

“What about that thing we thought up last Tuesday?”

“Good idea. I’ll get the yak’s milk and tapioca pudding. You get two spools of rope, an octopus, some Disappearing Ink, and a Self-Correcting Quill, and meet me on the roof of the Astronomy Tower.”

“Oh, this will be too fun. And don’t worry Harry, we’ll make sure you don’t miss a second, since you alerted us to the situation.”

Harry was struck with a strong sense of warning. “If it’s all the same to you, I think I might be busy,” he tried to say, but Fred and George weren’t listening. As they walked out of the kitchen, picking up a picnic basket from a House Elf on their way out, Harry got the distinct impression that he had unleashed a nightmare.
Writing Fred and George is fun.

MrRigger
Last edited by MrRigger2 on February 26th, 2013, 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Bezzerker » February 13th, 2013, 1:08 am

:slow:
:want:
:bow

That. Was. AWESOME.
Unleash the Elements of Order and Chaos!

A Heart Born Of Darkness,
Bound Within A Body Of Light,
Ignited By A Twilight Forged Soul

What's the Canadian policy on heretics?
Gman391: Turn them into Pop sensations, and then inflict them on the American's for their sins.
Bezzerker

Unread postby Ristridin » February 13th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Minor thing: There are house elves in the kitchen (Fred and George pick up a picnic basket from one of them, and I think “That’s a House Elf. Short little green thing, big ears, thought that was a bit obvious.” might imply Fred is pointing at one), but they're not mentioned in the initial description of the kitchen.
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby Thozmp » February 13th, 2013, 2:02 pm

I like the Fred and George bit, most people forget that they don't actually finish each others sentences. Speak in unison on occasion, but not finish sentences.
Thozmp

Unread postby MrRigger2 » February 13th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Yeah, I'm trying to have it so that they talk back and forth, but they aren't actually finishing each others sentences. Ideas, maybe, but not sentences.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby gamebrain89 » February 13th, 2013, 7:57 pm

That's how it came across to me. They both speak in complete sentences. One says something, the other comments on what his brother said, adds a little to it,asks a question, or moves the conversation forward. They are thinking very similarly, but aren't doing the whole creepy "Mindreader finishing the other's sentences" thing.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby jgkitarel » February 14th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Oh God, Harry, what have you done?

While I will admit that getting them to lay off Malfoy is the right thing to do, not distracting them with some other shiny was a bad move.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Atharyn » February 14th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Thank you for writing a set of the Weasley twins that don't make me just cringe. Most writers break up their sentences between characters and, to be honest, I have a hard time not skipping over their dialogue entirely when that happens.
Atharyn

Unread postby MrRigger2 » February 15th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Part Twenty-Six!
SPLOOSH!

Harry shivered as he froze in the Library doorway. He could hear Susan and Hannah stifle giggles from behind him. Harry took a deep breath and, yep, that was definitely lake water and seaweed he was covered in.

He looked around saw Fred and George pretending to read at a nearby table. They looked up at him and grinned. Harry rolled his eyes. “You two go ahead and get started, I’m going to go change.”

0oOo0

“Here, hold this.”

Harry grabbed onto the box that hit his stomach without thinking. Only once the person was already past him did he realize that George was the one who handed it to him.

“Oh crap.”

There was an explosion of pink colored smoke and Harry instinctively covered his mouth. Everyone around him started coughing and he tried to clear the smoke.

As the smoke dispersed, Harry took a good look around. The box had popped open and was now empty, but that wasn’t what caught his eye. His clothes had changed. Instead of the black robes he had been wearing, now he was in a pair of bellbottoms and a long tie-die shirt, and his tie had been replaced with a peace symbol necklace. As he reached up, he felt that his slicked back hair had been replaced with a huge Afro.

And he wasn’t the only one. Looking around, Harry saw what appeared to be the audience from Woodstock. Everyone within twenty feet had been transformed into hippies, and considering he was in the middle of the main Charms corridor in the middle of the day, that was a whole lot of hippies.

And he was the one left holding the box.

“Oh crap.”

0oOo0

To say Harry had unleashed a nightmare would be an understatement. Fred and George had taken it upon themselves to create a new era of pranking at Hogwarts. The Slytherins as a whole took the brunt of it, but no one was safe, no matter the House.

Pranks in the food, pranks on the doorways, pranks on the school uniforms, charms, transfigurations, hexes, jinxes, potions, even a few unleashed magical creatures (though those mostly tormented Mrs. Norris, Filch’s cat), nothing was safe. No matter who you were, Fred and George had vowed to prank every person in Hogwarts. The staff was turned a rather fetching shade of blue during dinner one night, and Slytherin spent more than one mealtime sounding like an escaped group of barnyard animals. Gryffindor took longer to prank, as the Twins decided to prank each Year worth of students separately. Ravenclaw was taken down in the order of class ranking, while Hufflepuff was pranked by birthday, starting with January and working to December. And all this was on top of the random mayhem they caused in the halls between classes.

Not that the Weasley Twins were the only perpetrators. No, they may have started the wave of pranks, but it seemed like half the school retaliated. At first, people were just trying to get back at the Twins, but after they realized that Fred and George just laughed off any prank that actually worked against them, people started branching out. Rivalries and irritations were taken advantage of, using Fred and George as scapegoats.

Fred and George didn’t let that stand, though. While they laughed off any pranks that came their way, they wouldn’t allow someone to blame them for pranks they didn’t do. Especially some of the pranks that were being played. Fred and George were about fun and harmless pranks, for a certain value of harmless. Some of the pranks were vindictive.

Those were pranks the Professors concentrated on punishing. Sure, they were obligated to punish any prank that crossed the line into too public, too big, too obvious, but they went out of their ways to stop and punish those that played cruel and vindictive pranks.

Harry had heard about a few pranks that ended in tears, and a few more that went wrong and ended up in the Hospital Wing. A few more ended with the victim taking matters into their own hands and getting in just as much trouble as the ones who pranked them in the first place.

Harry had seen the aftermath of one particularly bad prank. Apparently, the Ravenclaw Sixth Year Prefect had gotten trapped out in the halls completely starkers, without even her wand. If that wasn’t bad enough, that Gryffindor First Year Longbottom had stumbled across her and got an eyeful. That caused her to slap him silly, take his wand, stun him and conjure herself a bathrobe. Then she tracked the group of Fifth Years that had trapped her out in the hallway in the first place to the Library and cursed them all. From what Harry had seen, she had been particularly inventive. Joints cursed backwards, boils, one of the girls seemed to lose all the bones in her arms, and more.

Harry felt she went too far, and so did Madam Pince, but she didn’t let the Fifth Years off scott free either. The last he heard, they all had a month of detention with her, and Professor Flitwick had his own punishments in mind as well for such shameful behavior from his Ravenclaw students.

All in all, the month of November was a treacherous one for the students of Hogwarts, especially if you weren’t careful with what you ate or where you left your belongings.

Of course, not everyone seemed to understand.

0oOo0

“I just don’t understand why they keep it up,” Ernie said as he tried in vain to turn his skin back to the right color.

“Who’s this now?” Harry asked, thumbing through his Potions book.

“The Weasley Twins. They have to know they’re going to lose Gryffindor the House Cup all by themselves at this rate, and their studies have to be suffering.”

Zacharias scoffed. “Let them sabotage themselves. Less competition for the House Cup, the way I see it, and I’d just as soon not see Slytherin win it again this year. Honestly, they’ve had it for long enough.”

“Fred and George don’t really care about the points, as far as I can tell. I believe their philosophy is that whatever they lose everywhere else, they can make up for on the Quidditch Pitch, but I bet that if you took a thousand points from them every day, they still wouldn’t care as long as they were getting laughs.”

“But that doesn’t make sense!” Ernie sputtered.

“Sure it does. You just have to realize they don’t place the same value on things that you do. They don’t measure their success by points or grades, they measure success by how many people are laughing.”

“Well, they may not measure success by grades, but the teachers do, and Ernie’s right, with all they’re doing, they can’t be finishing all their work for their classes,” Zacharias reasoned.

“Probably not, but think about the pranks,” Harry said. “Think about what they’re actually doing, and how they’re doing it.”

Ernie and Zacharias fell silent, and Harry took the opportunity to read another page of Snape’s assigned reading.

Finally, Zacharias spoke up. “I’m not completely sure of what is considered ‘average’ for a Third Year, but what they’re doing is certainly above it. And their pranks are all different, all from different areas of magic.”

Harry nodded. “Exactly. Fred and George are proving that they know the material, or at least can put it into practice; I have no idea what their bookwork is like. But the fact that they’re learning what the Professors are teaching is probably half the reason some of the Professors look the other way on half their pranks. And the other half is that the Professors probably know that if they tried to stop Fred and George from pranking altogether, they’d lose their reason for actually learning, and they’d just try twice as hard to spite the Professors. Besides, Fred and George are mostly harmless.”

Ernie shot Harry an irritated look. “Harry. I’m purple from head to toe. Does this really look harmless?”

“Frankly? Yes. Sure, you look funny, but it’s not hurting you and it’s not permanent. Back in Gotham City, there’s a villain called the Joker. He dresses like a clown, and his idea of a joke is to hit you in the face with a pie, only the pie is made with acid. Nobody is even sure how many people he’s killed over the years.”

“What?!”

“You can’t be serious.”

Harry shook his head. “One of Bruce’s fundraisers was attacked by the Joker last year. Before Batman was able to stop him, the Joker killed one security guard with an electric hand buzzer and two more with knives cause they didn’t laugh at his jokes. I had to watch. So yeah, these pranks are pretty harmless. Especially when you consider what magic can do.”

Ernie and Zacharias mumbled apologies and fell silent again for a moment. “Wait, so that Batman character is really real? You’ve seen him? It’s not just something the Ministry cooked up?”

“For the last time, Ernie, yes, they’re real. No, the Daily Prophet or the Ministry or whoever checked the facts on the Justice League didn’t get it all right, but yes, superheroes are real. I saw Batman personally that night, and before I came here, I hadn’t met a single person who hadn’t at least heard of Superman.”

“Fine, I believe you,” Zacharias allowed. “But then what facts were right and what facts were wrong? And how do you know that your information is right?”

Harry sighed. “Because a lot of the information is common knowledge where I live, or freely available if you know where to look. Superman isn’t magic, he’s an alien, he said so himself when he was first interviewed. Red Tornado is an android, that’s obvious. I’m not sure if Wonder Woman is magical or not, but she’s an Amazon out of Greek Myth. Black Canary’s powers are supposed to be natural, or genetic, or something, but not magic. So yeah, somebody wasn’t doing their homework.”

“Maybe, maybe not,” Zacharias said. “Maybe somebody decided the story that got put out would calm people down better than finding out aliens are real right on the tail of what happened.”

“It wouldn’t be the first time a government lied to its people. But considering that nobody seemed to know about the Justice League at all beforehand, I’d say both possibilities are likely.” Harry stood up. “But I have some homework to write up, so if you’ll excuse me…”

Harry started walking away, but Ernie called after him. “Hey Harry! Um, you seem to have a tail.”

Harry glanced back to see who might be following him, and a flash of movement caught his eye. Only it wasn’t someone following him, it was something a lot closer. “A monkey’s tail. Better than a monkey’s paw, I suppose.” Harry took another look around and saw Fred and George snickering at the far end of the Gryffindor table. At least he wasn’t the only one with a tail. Hermione appeared to have a lion’s tail and Padma had bushy wolf’s tail, and that was just for a start.

Harry shook his head. He didn’t want to be around when everybody caught on to the Twins’ latest prank.
I'm not fully satisfied with this part. Suggestions?

MrRigger

EDIT: Additions made to the beginning and a bit at the end.
Last edited by MrRigger2 on February 16th, 2013, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrRigger2

Unread postby DIT_grue » February 15th, 2013, 8:48 pm

You didn't really pay off the twins' promise. ("And don’t worry Harry, we’ll make sure you don’t miss a second, since you alerted us to the situation.") For that matter, Harry didn't seem to be involved at all - even in the last scene, he is so disinterested as to barely qualify as a bystander. I'm not sure how you could change that (or even if it would be a good idea).

His anecdote about the Joker does do a good job of establishing a case of 'different standards', but don't the twins find his reactions or non-reactions interesting, especially when he triggered their spree? Maybe he spots a prank - would he avoid it or walk into it? What protects his cover, and is that even a more-than-routine concern in this situation?
DIT_grue

Unread postby gman391 » February 15th, 2013, 9:02 pm

I think DIT has the right of it, the pay off isn't there and it's doing far too much tell.
Still I liked it so that's something right?
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Atharyn » February 15th, 2013, 11:18 pm

I get the feeling that you are attempting to slightly info-dump about superheroes from Harry to the Wizarding World. Since there are both Ravenclaws and Muggle-born / Half-bloods running around, I think you might get more mileage out of having someone come to Harry for confirmation of the "outrageous" claims that someone else made. "Men can't fly without a broom!" and Harry pointing out that Superman is not technically a man - he's a Kryptonian.

Constructive criticism aside, please keep writing!
Atharyn

Unread postby MrRigger2 » February 16th, 2013, 1:05 am

Okay, edited the post a bit. Let me know what you guys think.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby DIT_grue » February 16th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Nice. :smile:

And it really reinforces that 'different standard' thing when he can shrug off being at ground zero. (Although in that light, him saying 'oh crap' twice to the hippy prank is a bit odd - the first one, where he's anticipating just before it goes off, fits pretty much perfectly, but the repetition sticks out.)

It might be that I was just skimming for changes, but was there anything to indicate that the last scene was set in the Great Hall until Harry started to leave? My assumption last time was that they were in their common room, so that sudden shift in visualisation was unnecessarily jarring.
DIT_grue

Unread postby gman391 » February 16th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Better, still feel like the transitions need work but better.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby MrRigger2 » February 19th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Part Twenty-Seven!
Harry waited outside the Quidditch Locker Room, practicing the spell they had learned in Charms earlier that day. Personally, Harry didn’t see the use behind making fruit tap dance, but he imagined it was useful for understanding a more advanced principle. At least he hoped that was the case, and wizards weren’t just the crazy sort of people who made their fruit dance for fun.

“Mr. Potter!”

“Harry!”

“Our favorite victim!”

“Though we wish you’d react a bit more.”

“Yes, you go with the flow entirely to well.”

“It’s disheartening.”

“Well, heartening isn’t something I’m good at, but I suppose I can give it a try if you guys do me a favor.”

“After the way you’ve been treating our pranks?”

“I should think not.”

“Simply disrespectful.”

“We put a lot of effort into our pranks, and you just ignore them.”

“Though I do like the sound of you owing us a favor.”

“It does have an appeal.”

“Boy-Who-Lived.”

“Last of the Potters.”

“Hufflepuff’s Golden Boy.”

“No, I think they have Yellow Boys.”

“But he’s hardly a coward at all.”

“Too true, remember the troll?”

“Quite a coup, no one expected it from a Puff.”

“Doing the unexpected, a Firstie after our own hearts.”

“I’m not after your hearts, George, just a favor.”

“And what sort of favor do you want us to do?”

“We shan’t break any rules for you, Harry.”

“We won’t?”

“Well, not for Harry, but for the challenge!”

“That makes sense.”

“Of course it does.”

“Will you two stop long enough for me to tell you what I want you to do?”

“I suppose.”

“Not much fun, though.”

Harry took a deep breath to calm himself down. Fred and George were good guys, but infuriating was too light of a word. He had to make sure they were never introduced to Wally. “All I need you to do get some candy for me. My sort of adopted brother’s birthday is coming up and I want to get him something he hasn’t had before.”

“Well isn’t that sweet?”

“Might not be, depending on the candy.”

“Could be sour.”

“Could be Cockroach Clusters.”

“I already know what I want to get him,” Harry interjected. “I have a list, and I have money. I just need someone who can actually get into town to buy it.”

“And why aren’t you asking one of the Hufflepuff upper years?”

“No doubt they’d help you.”

“Probably wouldn’t even ask you anything for it.”

“Always helpful, those Puffs.”

“First off, that’s not always true, and second, because the next Hogsmeade outing isn’t until just before his birthday, and I believe you two would be able to get what I’m looking for with a better cushion of time than they would. The present does have to cross the Atlantic by owl, after all.”

“Are you implying that we would sneak off school grounds?”

“We would never break the rules like that!”

“Oh my, you were even able to say that with a straight face.”

“I know, I’ve been practicing in the mirror.”

“Can you two do it or not?”

“Of course we can, young Harry.”

“But you’ll owe us a favor.”

“No take-backs!”

“Do we have a deal?”

Harry stuck his hand out. Fred and George each spat in their hands and grabbed either side of his and pumped it once. “Deal. Here’s the money. Keep the change, but I need that stuff sooner rather than later.”

0oOo0

“Hey, Boy Wonder!”

Robin looked back and turned into Zatanna as she kissed him on the cheek. “Happy Birthday!”

Robin blushed. “Uh… thanks. Hold on, how’d you even know it was my birthday?”

Kid Flash zoomed in close and leaned in. “Dude, you’re welcome.” Then he noticed Robin was carrying a box. “Hey, um, what’s that you got there?”

“Just something Harrier sent me for my birthday. Magical candy.” He poured out a handful and offered it to Kid Flash. “Want some?”

“Dude, have I ever turned down food?” He grabbed the candy and tossed the jellybeans in his mouth. He chewed for a moment then spat the candy back out, coughing. “Oh god, is that toothpaste? And anchovies? And pickles?”

Robin doubled over with laughter. “They’re called Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans, and according to Harrier, they really are every flavor. As you just saw.”

“Oh that was nasty,” Kid Flash gasped. “Seriously, nasty. Wait, how’d I get the worst flavor combination ever?”

Robin smirked. “I already picked out all the good flavors.”

“How?!” Kid Flash demanded.

The smirk grew. “Trained by Batman. C’mon.”

“Who would make that?” Kid Flash asked. “That’s a horrible idea.”

“Yeah, but the good flavors were actually pretty good. And I imagine the risk is the selling point.” Robin pulled another box out from behind his back. “But hey, you can have this. It’s just chocolate.”

“Why would you make candy look like a frog?” Kid Flash asked absently as he unwrapped the candy. “Why is my candy hopping away?”

“Because wizards have strange predatory instincts that mean they want to hunt but can’t catch anything more dangerous than a piece of candy?” Artemis joked as she walked up. “By the way, your candy’s getting away. Idiot.”

Kid Flash zoomed after the escaping candy, scooping it up easily. After he bit the head off of the frog, he looked at the wrapper still in his hand. “What’s this?” He pulled the card out from the wrapper. “Who’s Albus Dumbledore?”
MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Bezzerker » February 20th, 2013, 1:27 am

MORE WEASLY TWINS! :want:

The way you write the Weasly twins is quite simply superb, in my humble opinion.

One critique I would have is that it can be hard to tell which lines are the brothers speaking and which are Harry's. If you could make the points that Harry interjects slightly more obvious, I think the chapter would read better. My suggestion would be to have the brothers' lines have no spacing in between them, as that could add to the perception that they are speaking almost right on top of each other.

Other than that minor detail, an excellent chapter.

Gman391: Turn them into Pop sensations, and then inflict them on the American's for their sins.
Bezzerker

Unread postby MrRigger2 » February 21st, 2013, 2:16 pm

Part Twenty-Eight!
Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore was doing paperwork. For all his lofty titles and associations, he did not, as some might expect, spend his days pushing the boundaries of magic or crafting new and wondrous objects. No, most of his days were spent doing paperwork.

Boring paperwork, at that. At one point, he had been able to amuse himself with the bit of strange and unusual requests that crossed his desk, but the last time he remembered that happening was three years ago. Everyone was getting more and more stuck in their ways, it was all so boring.

Granted, he had worked hard to get the wizarding world to the current state of stability and relative peace, but he hadn’t realized it would be so disengaging.

And the worst part was that he didn’t even have to deal with the truly boring paperwork. He had a secretary that handled the paperwork from the Wizengamot, and a full team to manage the information from the International Confederation of Wizards down to a reasonable level. And Minerva did what she could to reduce his workload that Hogwarts brought on, but much of that required his personal attention, the fault of previous Headmasters who were far less busy than he and much more anal-retentive when it came to the day to day running of the school. He wished he could push much of it back to the School Governors, but that would require a vote on their part to willingly accept more work, and apparently that went against their personal ethos.

Honestly, he loved his positions. Hogwarts was a blessing, Wizengamot meetings were some of the best mental exercises possible, and ICW meetings were always exciting, with the chance to catch up with his old friends and the ever-present possibility that some nationalistic pride might get wrapped up and they’d have a duel before the sides calmed down. But it all generated so much unnecessary paperwork!

Proper records were important, of course, but if he hadn’t taken that Muggle speed-reading course back in the eighties, he’d never get through it all without resorting to extreme measures like a Time Turner, or setting all the paperwork on fire (although he had heard that the Austrian representative to the ICW had surprising success with that method).

But while his mind was on the subject of the ICW, the head of his secretarial team, Julian, had a birthday coming up. Dumbledore reminded himself to buy Julian something nice this weekend.

Albus sighed and scanned down another boring requisition form before signing at the bottom. He placed it in his outbox and looked up at the knock on his door. “Come in, Minerva,” he called. She had a very distinct knock.

His Transfiguration Professor all but collapsed in the cushioned chair across from him. “I’m at my wit’s end, Albus, I truly am.”

“Surely you’re joking.”

“I’m quite serious, Albus, and don’t call me Shirley.” Minerva took a lemon drop from the dish on his desk and sucked on it for a moment before elaborating. “I just don’t know what to do with Fred and George Weasley. Their pranks have gone on long enough, and no sort of punishment has been enough to bring them to heel.”

“I’m sure it’s not as bad as all that, Minerva, but please, go on.” It was a welcome distraction from the paperwork on his desk.

“No amount of points taken will deter them, as you well know, and even detention has failed to curb their enthusiasm. I believe they use the time as brainstorming sessions, even when separated and forbidden to speak. I’ve even written Molly Weasley about their conduct, but they still haven’t stopped.”

Albus nodded. “Ah, yes. I remember the Howler last week. She’s quite inventive, that Molly. What would you like me to do about it?”

“To be frank, I think our only next step is suspension, Albus. I know you don’t like resorting to such matters, but I think it’s the only thing that will get through to them.”

Albus reached out and took a lemon drop for himself. “You’re right, I prefer not to resort to suspension, Minerva. It doesn’t teach the students anything, and just removes them from class, which means they’re removed from the learning environment.”

Minerva just nodded, having heard this argument before. “But what other option do we have?”

“Oh, I believe I have an idea.” He stood up and walked over to his bookshelf, scanning the titles. “Something you may not be aware of, Minerva, is that I was considered quite the prankster in my youth.”

“In your youth? Albus, you charmed the French ICW representative’s shoes to squeak ‘Hail Britannia’ less than two weeks ago.”

Albus chuckled. “Yes, that was quite funny, wasn’t it? Besides, Pierre started it, I merely responded in kind.”

“Albus…”

“Yes, yes. But as I was a prankster during my years at Hogwarts, I have a bit of insight into the prankster’s mind. All need happen for Fred and George to cease their crusade is for an appropriate distraction to present itself.”

“That’s why I’ve assigned them additional work and detentions, but it hasn’t helped, or haven’t you been listening?”

“Ah, but those are punishments, and not likely to hold their interest when pranking is a possibility. No, they need to find the distraction on their own, and it need be challenging enough to hold their interest without being entirely impossible. Ah, here we are.”

Albus removed a dusty book from the shelf and passed it over to Minerva. “A Primer on the Practice of Animagery?” she asked, reading the title. “Albus, you want to reward their pranks with advanced lessons? They’ve disrupted the school on a level I haven’t witnessed in my entire tenure here, and this is what you want to do to bring them into order?”

“It worked for me,” he said gently. “Trying to figure out how to become an Animagus kept me quite distracted, up until I discovered dating, at which point I scarcely had time for pranks at all. Would you rather try to find a pair of girls willing to date them?”

“Of course not!” she snapped. “I’m not a matchmaker for my students.”

“I seem to remember you pushing one James Potter to take his pursuit of Lily Evans a bit more seriously while they were in school. But you’re right, Fred and George are perhaps a bit young to be worrying about who they’re going to take to Hogsmeade for a romantic picnic. Which is why I’m suggesting this.”

“What about the dangers? Attempting an Animagus transformation is quite dangerous and terribly complex. I hesitate to say that I’d even allow some of my N.E.W.T. students to attempt it, even if they showed signs of a potential ability.”

“I’m certainly aware of that, but the author of that book took great care to outline the safest and slowest method of completing the transformation, buried under a fair amount of technical jargon designed specifically to slow the process further.”

Minerva glanced down at the book in her hands again. “You wrote it?”

“A limited run, and I’m afraid the subject matter ensured it would never be a bestseller as too many wizards are scared to even attempt the transformation, but yes, I penned it.”

“You really believe they have the ability? There’s been no sign of it in either the Weasley or Prewitt lines before.”

“Oh, I have no idea whether or not they’ll have the ability. But I do believe that the Misters Weasley will jump at the chance to find out. And if it turns out they do not, then, well, all that will have happened is that they were distracted from disrupting the school and learned a number of advanced Transfiguration principles ahead of their classmates. Hardly a tragedy, I think.”

Minerva fell silent and Albus crunched down on his lemon drop. He never could stand to wait and always ended up crunching on his favorite candy, no matter how many times Poppy said it was bad for his teeth.

“You realize they’ll never go for it if I just give them this book?”

“Of course. Leave it somewhere obvious in your room the next time you call them into your office to discipline them, perhaps with a Notice Me Charm on it. Make sure you turn your back on them at some point, and I feel reasonably certain they’ll take it or make a copy. They get to feel as if they pulled the wool over your eyes, and we get a school returned to its usual state. Everybody comes out a winner.”

Minerva suddenly narrowed her eyes. “You just want to be able to say you pranked the Weasley Twins, don’t you?”

Albus smiled again. “I admit, the thought does have its appeal.”
What do you guys think of my version of Albus? Wally asked who Albus Dumbledore was, here's my answer.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Bezzerker » February 21st, 2013, 2:25 pm

A Manipulative!Dumbledore who isn't necessarily a bastard. I wholeheartedly approve of this.

Bezzerker

Unread postby Ristridin » February 21st, 2013, 4:14 pm

Wow. Just... wow.
Ristridin

Unread postby jgkitarel » February 21st, 2013, 5:58 pm

Albus as a prankster is a nice touch. I do see Gred and Forge pulling it off, too.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Random_fan » February 21st, 2013, 9:07 pm

This may just be my favourite Dumbledore.
Random_fan

Unread postby Wannabekurt » February 22nd, 2013, 4:08 pm

:agree: I laughed harder than I have in a long time at the 'Hail Britannia' bit.
Wannabekurt

Unread postby MrRigger2 » February 22nd, 2013, 6:14 pm

Part Twenty-Nine!
Harry walked back into the Common Room from the Owlery, where he had sent off his latest packet of Muggle schoolwork to Alfred. When he arrived, the rest of the First Years were all involved in a conversation.

“Hey guys. What are we talking about?” he asked as he pulled up a chair.

“Hi Harry,” Hannah smiled. “We were just talking about what we’re all doing for the Christmas holiday.”

“I got Auntie to let me invite all of you to our party Christmas Eve,” Susan said excitedly. “Well, all of you who weren’t already on the guest list.” She nodded in the direction of Ernie, Hannah, and Zacharias.

“The Smiths are hosting their usual extravaganza, and you’re all invited as well,” Zacharias added. “Christmas Night.”

“I wish I’d known sooner,” Harry admitted. “My holiday is pretty much all planned out already. The Gotham Elite are serious about their parties, and end of the fiscal year is a major reason to party for them. I’m pretty sure I’m already expected somewhere each night, and that’s without having to organize for transport back and forth from Gotham City to here. I’m sorry, but I don’t think I can come. I mean, most of the invitations went out even before Thanksgiving. And the twenty-fifth is when Bruce has his party, and there’s absolutely no way I’m getting out of that.”

“Well, I suppose that as long as you aren’t declining so that you can attend the Malfoy Christmas Party, I can’t complain too much,” Zacharias allowed. “Honestly, the Smith family has been hosting their Christmas Party on the same night for as long as anyone can remember, why do they insist on hosting their party the same night?”

“It’s not like you want half the people that go to their party to show up to yours anyways,” Megan said. “Do you really want to be associated with families like the Carrows? Or maybe the remaining Lestranges?”

“Of course I don’t. But it’s a matter of respect. The Smith family is the older line, we’ve been hosting on that night far longer than they have, and unlike the Malfoys, we’re a proper British family, not a bunch of cowards from France. And there are a number of people that would be more than welcome at our celebration, but they attend the Malfoy’s party out of a sense of business obligation.”

“Well, I think that’s the half the reason people show up to Bruce’s parties, and the other half is to be seen with The Bruce Wayne. It makes for a really boring party.”

“There aren’t any other kids that come?” Sally asked.

Harry shook his head. “There’s a few, but most of them are real jerks. Dick is the only one that’s really worth hanging out with. I usually spend the time I’m not being gushed over as Bruce’s poor little orphan boy making fun of the people who gush over me as Bruce’s poor little orphan boy. Dick does it too.”

0oOo0

“Can I just say that I think this is a bad idea?”

Harry snorted. “Come on, Hermione. You’re one of the best students of the year, and you’re doing a full Muggle course load on top of what all the other students are doing. Are you really telling me that you’re going to be beaten by a class where all you have to do is fly around on a broom?”

“I just have a healthy respect for how dangerous a fall from even three meters can be, and you’re talking about going much higher than that. Besides, it’s silly, I’m here to learn magic, not how to ride around on a broom like a stereotype.”

Hermione was putting on a brave face, but she was clearly nervous. Harry didn’t have to be trained by the Batman to see that fact. “Sounds to me like you’re scared. Thought Gryffindors didn’t get scared.”

“Gryffindors are known for their bravery and courage, neither of which are a lack of fear,” Hermione clarified, jumping at the change in subjects.

“You’re very right, they are the willingness to continue in the face of that fear, and as the top Gryffindor First Year, you should have no problem getting on that broom and showing me exactly what you can do.”

“Well maybe I will!” Hermione declared, marching over to the rickety school broom.

Harry watched as Hermione commanded the broom and it leapt into her hand. She slid the ancient broomstick between her legs and pushed off. It wasn’t until she leveled off at twenty feet up that Hermione seemed to realize what she had done.

Hermione seized the broomstick in her hands like she was trying to strangle it. Harry flew up beside her and smiled. “See, that wasn’t so hard, now was it? Now just tilt forward a little bit.”

Hermione leaned forward ever so slightly and went into the shallowest descent possible, moving approximately three inches per hour. “You know, you probably won’t shake as much if you moved faster. It’s like riding a bike. If you go too slow you won’t be stable, but if you pick up speed, you will be.”

“I broke my arm learning how to ride a bike,” Hermione said through gritted teeth.

“Bad analogy, gotcha. But you know, you really were doing just fine until you remembered you were supposed to be scared.”

“Of course I’m supposed to be scared, don’t you know how dangerous this is?”

“Sure, but I’m not sure what that has to do with anything. A muggleborn Gryffindor isn’t supposed be outscoring the Ravenclaws while also supporting a full Muggle course load, but you’re doing it anyway. I’d suggest you just do the same thing here. Forget what’s supposed to happen and just do it.”

“I applaud your enthusiasm, Mr. Potter, but your teaching methods need work.” Harry looked down and saw Madam Hooch standing at the foot of the Quidditch Pitch. She mounted her broom and flew up beside Hermione, grabbed onto her broomstick, and towed her to the ground.

“Now, Ms. Granger, I want you to kick off and just hover off the ground. You don’t have to go charging off into the skies like Mr. Potter seems to want you to do.”

Hermione was torn between her desire to remain firmly on the ground and her natural obedience of teachers. Finally, she did as Madam Hooch requested and found herself floating about two feet off the ground. “Now, take one lap around the pitch. Don’t go any higher, and don’t go any faster than you’re comfortable with, but try going fast enough that you take the wobble out of the broom. I think you’ll find it much easier.”

Harry and Madam Hooch watched as Hermione took off slowly and began a lap around the field. “Poor girl. Too afraid to really enjoy flight. Pity she can’t learn on a better broom.”

“Oh?” Harry said. “Why not?”

“It’s not in the school budget. Too expensive to buy all new brooms.”

“Why, do you want the new Nimbus for everybody?”

Madam Hooch gave Harry a sharp look. “Of course not. Teaching students who have never even seen a broom before on a top of the line racing broom? I’d have ten times the injuries I do now.”

“So what do you want?” Harry wheedled.

“Oh, I’d be happy with the Bluebottle. Safe, reliable, and it’s built to last, unlike some of today’s racing brooms. But no, upkeep on the castle is more important, no need to replace brooms that are already thirty years old.”

“Wow, I knew the school brooms were old, but I didn’t think they were that old,” Harry admitted.

“Well, if you get a good quality broom and take care to properly maintain it, a broom can last you that long without much problem, but the school governors don’t seem to realize that I’m dealing with students who regularly plow them into the ground and have no idea how to take care of a broom.” Madam Hooch shook herself as she realized whom she was talking to. “I shouldn’t be speaking to students about the school budget anyways. Not proper. And besides, you don’t have anything to worry about, Mr. Potter. You show a great deal of promise with a broom. Keep up the practice and you’ll find yourself on the Hufflepuff team next year.”

“Thank you, ma’am.”

“Although I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t try giving flying lessons, if you please. Not every good flyer is a good flying teacher, and you still have a lot to learn. Now, if you have some other schoolwork you need to be doing, I can watch Ms. Granger.”

Harry caught the hint. “I should probably go practice that potion Professor Snape showed us the other day,” Harry admitted and started jogging back to the castle.
MrRigger

EDIT: Edited.
Last edited by MrRigger2 on February 23rd, 2013, 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Ristridin » February 23rd, 2013, 6:34 am

“Well, I suppose that as long as you aren’t declining to join the Malfoy Christmas Party, I can’t complain too much,” Zacharias allowed. “Honestly, the Smith family has been hosting their Christmas Party on the same night for as long as anyone can remember, why do they insist on hosting their party the same night?”
Maybe the 'aren't' should be 'are also' or something like that? He shouldn't go the the Malfoy party when he's refusing the Smith party after all.

Seems like new school brooms will appear soon.
Ristridin

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop