Felix Wright IndieGoGo campaign

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Felix Wright IndieGoGo campaign

Unread postby lilcrossv2 » May 28th, 2013, 9:31 pm

Hey guys! I'm not as new here as you might think. I am the same Lilcross who posted here awhile back. I cannot seem to find the email I used to make the account, so I decided to just make a new one.

At any rate, some of you may recall I posted superhero fiction here. Well, at this point, I've finally finished a novel, the same novel I started working on in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4875. I am looking towards getting it published, but to do that I need it edited by a professional, which of course costs money.

Here's the official synopsis, as well as a small snippet of the first chapter.

Synopsis: Not only does Felix Wright have an I.Q. of 140, he also has a knack for martial arts and possess strong moral fiber. So why did Dax, his best friend, a lazy slacker with dashing good looks, get super powers instead of him? Begrudgingly, Felix takes it upon himself to whip his buddy into shape, and for good reason: Something's coming. They have to be ready before the other metahumans show up. Because if they aren't, then they won't be prepared for the war to come. A war on a scale humanity has never experienced before. What begins as a light-hearted adventure soon catapults into a fast-paced thrill ride, complete with shocking revelations, double crosses, and super-powered battles.

Chapter 1 excerpt:
Spoiler: show
“Being a superhero isn't as cool as it sounds.” At least, that's what my best friend Dax says. Unlike me, he has the ability to manipulate ice, which sounds to me like a nerd's wetdream.

Dax is obviously just saying that to make me feel better about not having superpowers. I mean, he can freeze someone solid with a push of his hands. Normal humans don't stand a chance against him. That doesn't stop me from having weekly spars with the lucky guy, though.

"All you got, Felix?" He asked as he jabbed me in the ribs. He landed a solid blow, but I jumped back and shrugged it off. I charged towards him, but his palm shot forward and a flash of blue flew towards me. I instinctively rolled, avoiding the ice blast and effectively closing the distance between us.

"Yep!" I said as I retaliated, moving my right shoulder forward as if I would throw a punch, but then kicking him in the chin. Dax's head bounced upwards from the blow, and when it was on the way down I followed through with an axe kick to the back of his head. "And it's more than enough!"

Dax fell to the ground and clutched his head, cursing.

"C’mon, Felix,” he said, “this is sparing, not an actual battle! Pull your punches a bit, will you?"

Clenching my fists, I grimaced and thought, Why should I have to hold back? He's the one with the powers. If it were me… I took a deep breath and shook my head. There I was again, being jealous. "Do you want a competent side kick or what? If you can't face me, then how can you face a hardened criminal?"

Dax sat up and murmured something under his breath. His whispers hardened my resolve. He has to fight more seriously. He can't lose to someone without superpowers, ever. So far, Dax and I only know one person with powers: Dax himself. As of now, he can handle everyday criminals. But what happens when an actual super villain appears? I have to get him stronger now so he can fight later.
I knew what I had to do. This is going to hurt me worse than it hurts you, Dax, in more ways than one. Trust me. "What was that, pussy?" That got him motivated. Too motivated.

He looked up at me, eyes wide with surprise and hurt. It didn’t take long for that hurt to morph into ardent anger. He bounced to his feet before giving me a hard shove to the chest.

"Oof!" It was as if I’d been slammed by a sledgehammer.

The push blew me off my feet. Eyes screwed shut with pain; I flew backward until all my momentum was agonizingly stopped by a wall of ice that appeared behind me. Next thing I know, Dax is in my face with his fist. One punch was all it took to knock me out.
I hope you guys find yourself intrigued enough to contribute! Thanks for reading! Here's the link to the campaign: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/felix ... 190?c=home
lilcrossv2

Re: Felix Wright IndieGoGo campaign

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » March 12th, 2015, 1:06 am

Cool stuff man, I hope that went well for you.

Btw, if you're still using that synopsis, think you shouldn't be capitalizing "Something's" in it. Might want to make sure that's correct or not :)
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Re: Felix Wright IndieGoGo campaign

Unread postby runsamok » March 12th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Hello,
Please send a private message to one of the mods regarding getting your old login working. =)
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop