Soliciting thoughts and opinions on a writing "style."

This forum is for picking apart tricky issues facing any authors in the community. Word choice, action scenes, dialoguing, or plot development. If something isn't working for you, put it up here and see what your fellow community members can make of it. Try to keep examples short and to the point as much as possible.

Soliciting thoughts and opinions on a writing "style."

Unread postby MorphCrossing » June 26th, 2015, 8:56 am

Feel free to offer your thoughts and opinions of the short passage in the spoiler. Things i'm looking for:

Is it sufficient at rendering the characters emotions while not straight out saying the emotions? Does it render a view of the character that is sufficient while not being overly descriptive?

You can feel free to blast anything you read in the passage I enjoy harsh criticism but the two things i'm mainly looking for are above. If you feel it's lacking somewhere else go ahead and tell me.
Spoiler: show
Reaching down the Hokage clamped onto Ryuuka's shoulder while the other hand dipped down and caught her elbow, applying a light amount of pressure on a certain point in her lower arm. Ryuuka stomped her sandaled foot on the portion of the floor that milliseconds before had been occupied by his own foot, quickness and experienced reflexes preventing him from suffering fractured toes. “Don't touch me! Don't grab me! Let! Me! Go!” She punctuated each cry with a stamp on the floor aimed at pulverizing Sarutobi's foot.
Releasing her from his grip, the Hokage placed himself against the door and narrowed his eyes, staring down at her face. The pupils of her eyes which normally blended into the dark purplish-brown were standing out huge and apparent, and shimmering. Her lightly tanned cheeks had a tint of redness that stood out uninterrupted by the whisker marks. Beads of sweat were trickling down her face from her temples.
Sliding out from in front of the door the Hokage moved back away from the girl. Ryuuka shook slightly and her pupils contracted to their normal size. Seeing the unblocked door she grasped the knob, spinning it, and swung the door open towards herself. Walking out quickly she didn't see the Hokage raise a hand and shake his head at the Tokubetsu Jounin stationed on the other side.
“Ryuuka...you...” Shaking himself he glanced through the door at his stationed guard. “Find Aoba-san and tell him to bring me Mitarashi Zoukihara. I don't care what Zoukihara is doing, that old man better have the answers to my demands or he'll find himself under the care of Inoichi and Ibiki.”
Ask any question you want about the passage, whether I give a full answer is another matter entirely.
Formerly known as MorphCross before the great deletion of 2011. The Creature Lives!
MorphCrossing

Re: Soliciting thoughts and opinions on a writing "style."

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 26th, 2015, 8:17 pm

Someone really doesn't like being touched.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby MorphCrossing » June 27th, 2015, 2:11 am

That does tell me I released just enough info in the passage. Thanks Tempest!
Formerly known as MorphCross before the great deletion of 2011. The Creature Lives!
MorphCrossing

Unread postby RavynousHunter » July 14th, 2015, 5:28 pm

Holy shit. Uhm...I really can't think of anything other than "DAMN." Quite well-written and gives you clues as to what happened without outright saying it, thus leaving something to the imagination. All in all, I say you've nailed a good style, already.
RavynousHunter

Unread postby MorphCrossing » July 14th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Thanks for the comments! I try to avoid an excess of introspection and work as much into the story through the character's eyes while trying to keep the characters assumptions from dropping into the story.

Than there is the fun of creating each characters speech patterns and quirks.
MorphCrossing

Unread postby jgkitarel » July 19th, 2015, 11:52 am

There's a number of ways that can be taken, none of them good. Considering her rather harsh reaction, it certainly implies severe abuse, the kind which can be left up to a person's imagination, and we will often think the worst. I did until I took a step back and looked at it logically. The level of reaction implies that it hasn't gone on long enough for her to accept it as normal, though.

A good case of showing without telling, which is harder than it sounds.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Return to “%s” Writer Workshop