Books Needed

Books Needed

Unread postby viridian » October 9th, 2008, 10:44 pm

I can be a little confusing to sort out which books are fourth edition and which ones are third edition, so I gave everyone a cheat sheet here:

http://astore.amazon.com/viridiandreams ... F8&node=16

To be honest, they did a really good job with fourth edition. The only book you really must have is the core 4th edition rulebook. Back in third edition, if you didn't have the magic book supplement, your magician character would be gimped with no initiation or metamagic. Ditto if you ran a decker without the matrix book. But the 4th edition core book contains about 60-80% of the really crucial goodies (like the metamagical techniques that everyone learns first) so you won't be totally deprived without the specialty books. However, if you like your mage/decker/street sam character enough to play long-term, you will probably want to get the specialty book for that last 20-40%, not to mention campaign and roleplaying data.

The companion is also a good book to have for character creation, as it gives you a lot more options... however, beginning players will probably want to stick with the less exotic stuff in the core rules for their first PCs, so it's optional as well. The additional positive and negative qualities in there are fairly specialized, but if something in your proposed character background calls out for them, I'll suggest adding them and give you the information on them.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Re: Books Needed

Unread postby bibliophile20 » October 19th, 2008, 1:08 pm

For those of who are slightly anal-retentive about these things, the Arsenal Errata just got released.
bibliophile20

Return to “%s” Admin