Mandatory Rules and FAQ list...

Announcements for the Viridian Dreams forum.

Mandatory Rules and FAQ list...

Unread postby viridian » April 18th, 2008, 6:26 am

These were originally compiled for the Viridian Dreams Yahoo group, but they apply here as well.

I'll leave this topic unlocked, so anyone with question can append them to this post.

Viridian’s FAQ / Rules.

Keeping this short and sweet, or relatively so.

List Rules:

1. Be polite and respectful. We’ve established a pretty good standard for non-acrimonious learned debate, and I’d like to keep it that way. Personal attacks, obstructionism, and rampant stupidity have no place here. If you have to seriously ask yourself if one of your posts qualify as one of the above, then the answer is probably yes.

2. Bashing-lite. Yes, we all know someone who has an issue with ‘maths’. And 'Sasuke-Stu' jokes are getting really old. Beating the deceased equine any further isn’t going to change that. Likewise, overt personal bashing of other authors is discouraged. (Criticism is not prohibited, but keep in mind that it’s better to do so where they can see and respond if they feel the need.)

3. Don’t spam the forums. Off-topic is one thing (and one thing we do well), but shilling your business/product is un-cool. (Buy ad space if you need it, LOL.)

4. If you are going off on a serious tangent, please consider starting a new thread instead.

5. When replying, please avoid excessive quoting. Also, please use the edit function whenever possible if you think of something right after posting. (Consecutive multiposting is often interpreted as trying to inflate your post count. Some people consider that a big deal.)

6. Nit-picking and asking questions is fine, but please show some respect and exercise a little due diligence first. There are plenty of resources available, so checking your facts before flaming isn’t too much to ask. It also lets you avoid a fair bit of ridicule. *grin*

7. To expand on #1 for the clue-impaired: Deliberate trolling is prohibited. If you get into arguments with practically everyone who responds to your posts, the odds are that this means you. Repeat offenders will be banned. With great glee.

8. No direct links to anything that violates copyright laws. I'd like to at least pretend no one here is stealing their entertainment, as that hits me right where I (would like to) live.

9. For signatures and avatars, we’ve had to institute some rules regarding limits. First off, nothing deliberately offensive or adult oriented allowed. Period. Secondly, images in signatures should be kept to under 150 kilobytes in total size, and preferably under 100 kilobytes total. If this is a problem, consider finding a lower resolution version of the image. This is not because of server load limits, but because of what large image files do to page load times. Also images in signatures in excess of 400 pixels in either height or width should be kept under spoiler tags. (Additionally, please try not to hotlink; it’s not polite. If you want to have images in your signature, just get a photobucket or flicker account.)

Q & A:

Q: When is the next chapter coming out?
A: Go here: http://www.viridiandreams.net to see the progress bars for the current work in development. The ads there (and here) help pay my web hosting costs.

Q: Why do I have to register to post?
A: Because spammers suck. Ask Lindsey about the hypoglycemia forum they killed.

Q: Who are the moderators?
A: Currently, it’s me (Viridian), my wife and beta Lindsey (Runsamok), beta Joseph Baum (Bibliophile), Brandon (Lochar), and Torbin (Forbin).

Q: What the heck is Naruto/Harry Potter? What references do you use?
A: For Harry Potter, I normally go by http://www.hp-lexicon.org and for Naruto, http://www.wikipedia.org has some fairly detailed articles.

Q: What if I have a question that should be added to this FAQ?
A: Email me with it, or post it below.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Re: Mandatory Rules and FAQ list...

Unread postby NobleKorhedron » April 24th, 2015, 5:51 am

Apologies if this is the wrong place, but any chance of allowing us to sort the memberlist by picking out a particular seciton, if we want? Like only the R's for whatever reason?
Regards,

NK.

Give me a sense of humor Lord, give me the grace to see a joke. To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
NobleKorhedron

Unread postby runsamok » May 28th, 2015, 9:21 am

In order to make that work (because the feature is already there) we will have to update to the latest forum version. It takes a bit of work to do that because of our custom template. I'll see what I can do to get it working.
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Unread postby 36T » January 22nd, 2016, 10:32 am

[quote="viridian"] I'll leave this topic unlocked, so anyone with question can append them to this post.

Q: What if I have a question that should be added to this FAQ?
A: Email me with it, or post it below.[/quote]

Q: On average, how long does it usually take the moderators to review posts?
TTT TTT
TTT TTT
TTT TTT
TTT TTT
TTT TTT
TTT TTT
36T

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 23rd, 2016, 1:07 pm

We're usually on the ball, it's just been a little slow here lately, so I'll admit to some slacking.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Return to “%s” Announcements