Lone Star Reports Gang Violence on the Rise

Lone Star Reports Gang Violence on the Rise

Unread postby viridian » October 10th, 2008, 12:04 pm

(Associated Press MediaNet) - Seattle, UCAS. In an official press release, Lone Star Security spokesperson Mandy Honeywell reported that gang-related arrests are up over 20% over the previous month, indicating that Lone Star personnel are encountering increasing levels of resistance in impoverished sections of the metroplex. "The gangs have been growing more active as of late, but Lone Star stands ready to deal with them if they step out of line," she reports. "We take our duty to safeguard the law-abiding citizens of Seattle very seriously."

While local civil liberty advocates have decried the tactics employed by Lone Star, most city officials appear to be supportive of this new initiative. "As long as the Star stays on top of them," replied a senior official who declined to be identified, "we don't care what they do. Someone has to take out the garbage."
<<<MediaWatcher>>>

Very nice. Because anyone who belongs in a gang is just trash to be disposed of. Fascists.
<<<Fatima>>>

If it keeps them off my block, I could care less.
<<<Clockwork>>>

So what's causing all the aggro? I haven't heard about any of the gangs in my area going to war.
<<<JoeyBoy>>>

Doesn't have to be. Lone Star has their contract with the city up for renegotiation at the end of this fiscal quarter. So they step up patrols in the barrens and institute "Stop and frisk" orders for anyone wearing colors, sporting chrome, or doing anything else suspicious. (Like 'driving while being metahuman'.) Walking around the Barrens without some kind of hardware qualifies as assisted suicide in my book, so they are guaranteed to find enough on the frisk for a weapons charge. And anyone arrested in the Barrens is almost guaranteed to have some ties to a gang, so the arrest is classified as gang-related. The Star gets to inflate their crime statistics with these manufactured arrests and get everyone nervous. And since there isn't really any massive outbreak of gang violence, it looks like they are doing their jobs. Their public approval ratings climb, and they are in a better position for contract renewal negotiations.
<<<Dr. Spin>>>

What's really sick is that you are probably right.
<<<SPD>>>

I don't have to like something to recognize it when I see it.
<<<Dr. Spin>>>

Maybe we ought to arrange a 'special' welcome for these frisking patrols.
<<<IceZee>>>

The Star suits would probably love that. Dead cops always garner public sympathy.
<<<Dr. Spin>>>
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Re: Lone Star Reports Gang Violence on the Rise

Unread postby Kodra » October 10th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Anyone with a little know how can come up with a simple program to help identify Lone Stars easily so long as they aren't skulking around. Try to avoid these guys. I don't want to see any of you coming to me shot to hell because you wanted to make a statement.

<<<LuckyMouse>>>
Kodra

Unread postby viridian » October 10th, 2008, 7:28 pm

Most of their troops are in uniform, especially the thugs sweeping the Barrens. The undercover ops have a much higher salary - you only see them deployed if the Star thinks you are up to something and have an active investigation running. In that case, you are already screwed. Screen your patients wisely.
<<<SPD>>>

Giving these thugs an excuse to crack down further is counterproductive. If you really want to make a change, hook up with one of the neo-anarchist cells.
<<<N30-h00d3r>>>

You keep shilling in these forums, the mods are going to drop the hammer.
<<<TorqueWrench>>>

Hey, I didn't specify which one... and individual action is almost always futile. I'm not the only one saying that, you scan?
<<<N30-h00d3r>>>

Avoiding them entirely is your best bet. Nothing good can come of an encounter with the Star.
<<<Pragsma>>>

Or go the entirely opposite route. Get a SIN, carry only licensed weapons. Produce all identification and licenses upon request. Have your story for why you are there well rehearsed. You'll confuse the hell out of them.
<<<Greeneyes>>>

Frag that. A SIN is like a shackle around your neck, omae. No way is that worth it.
<<<Kid Chrome>>>

Only if it's a real SIN.
<<<Paper Hanger>>>
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Kodra » October 10th, 2008, 11:56 pm

Be careful Green. Some of the Stars are stick up the ass straight arrows who would never question a protocol or order, but alot of them join just to get a chance to beat people for fun.

Remember the last time you thought it'd be fun to play some tricks with a Lone Star? I don't want to have to fix you up. Again.

<<<LuckyMouse>>>
Kodra

Unread postby viridian » October 11th, 2008, 12:16 am

Hey, crooked cops are a whole nother matter. But hassling people with SINs (or who appear to have SINs) means harassing people that actually exist in the system... and can file a complaint and make it stick.

That said, don't skimp on your cover. If they manage to uncover a fake SIN... well, you're in even worse drek than the guy with no SIN. Caveat emptor.
<<<Greeneyes>>>
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Kodra » October 11th, 2008, 12:55 am

I wouldn't try that in the Barrens. They'll assume if you are out there you aren't the type to complain about their violent treatment, and the truth is they're right. Best to avoid it if you can, otherwise stay clear of them.

As an aside, if anyone does need a SIN, I know a guy who knows a guy who has some good merch. I'll help facilitate, but you'd better come with the proper references. You can't trust just anyone these days.

<<<LuckyMouse>>>
Kodra

Unread postby viridian » October 11th, 2008, 10:16 am

Choson Ring does good work as well. This might be a good time to stock up on SINs.
<<<Pak>>>

You still shilling for your cousins?
<<<Big Pedro>>>

I heard tell of a certain Johnson that got hassled by a rookie Star on one of those sweeps. Turns out Mr. J was actually setting up a tailchaser for the people in Austin. I wish I could have seen that slot's face when he got pulled into an interview with the gentlemen from Internal Affairs and recognized the guy he'd been harassing...
<<<Karma Is>>>
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » October 15th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Stars are easy to spot, they all walk like theyve got a corp's hand stuffed up their ass, like the nice little puppets they know they are. Anyone with some kind of vision or some bit of audio should be able to mark these idiots coming, not like they're all that stealthy.
<<<SwampFox>>>
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Return to “%s” Newsbytes