Explosions rock Hong Kong

Explosions rock Hong Kong

Unread postby runsamok » November 30th, 2008, 7:05 pm

// Fork/sunshine/ksaf/Emerald Media newsfeed ::
06/29/70 <23:37:45> //
// LinguaCell-D audio-to-text transcript enabled //

Ivy Wong: We are live in front of the Tsim Sha Tsui China Ferry Terminal. As you can see behind me, the entire terminal build-
ing is on fire, huge clouds of smoke belching from the shattered glass front of the central building’s atrium. Just minutes ago an enormous explosion shook the grounds and destroyed the backside of the terminal. With me is Mr. Andy Leung of the China Ferry Terminal Authority. Mr Leung, how exactly did this terrible accident happen?

Andy Leung: Seconds before the explosion we experienced random system glitches and noticed the sub-nodes disconnecting from the main hub. We attempted to reconnect, but found them all encrypted.

I. Wong: Normally, system glitches do not cause an explosion of the building, Mr. Leung. What exactly happened here?

A. Leung: I was monitoring the automated refueling of one our bigger ferries, which had just docked. I can only imagine
that the glitches caused a severe malfunction in the fuel feed and the fuel ignited. We thought we had the system back on-line when suddenly all the lights in the building flickered and it went dark. A second later, the shockwave of the explosion from the quay hit the building and destroyed most of the back wall. The entire quay was engulfed in fire.

I. Wong: Kenneth, zoom in on ... what is that? There are still people coming out of the building, barely escaping the ... no! Oh my God, they are being crushed, somebody help them! Oh my God. It’s unbelievable. Please, someone help! Mr Leung, what are you .. where are you going? Kenny, zoom in on him, he’s trying to help them!

I. Wong: Wait, I’m just hearing from our news center that the reported system crashes are not isolated incidents, it’s happening all over Tsim Sha Tsui and Mong Kok. There have been several explosions around Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Kenneth Wa: Ivy, I think we should get out, the building looks about to collapse. Let’s get back to the van.

I. Wong: One minute, Ken, this is too serious to just pack up and leave. News center just told me that the Eastern Tiger authorities say the grid is being deliberately attacked. They suspect the 9x9 terrorists. No, wait, new reports are coming in from downtown. (subvocalized: What? The hospital? How? Okay, okay .. I understand. Let’s wrap this Ken and get the hell out of here.)

I. Wong: Ladies and Gentlemen, the pictures you see behind me are ominously familiar: devastated buildings, terrible accidents, a rising death toll. Once more the Hong Kong Matrix seems to be under wide-scale attack. At the moment, we don’t know the origin of the attack, but it is localized. Authorities urge everyone to remain indoors and away from potentially dangerous electronic devices. Stay tuned for more updates! I am Ivy Wong for Emerald News!
// end newsfeed fork
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Re: Explosions rock Hong Kong

Unread postby runsamok » November 30th, 2008, 7:10 pm

Explosions Devastate Hospital
Hong Kong Times - Hong Kong 06/30/70

Less than an hour ago, the Queen Elizabeth Hospital was shaken by a series of explosions that severely damaged several floors. Emergency calls from staff trapped within the ruined wards mobilized rescue operations around the city to respond. Yokogawa Firefighter brigades arriving on site only minutes after the explosion found the entire building complex damaged. A total of 758 staff and almost 542 patients were present at the time of the devastating attack. The final tally of casualties is still unknown.

Pandemonium has since spread to the entire downtown district with traffic systems and networks in the vicinity of the hospital suffering severe malfunctions. Several fires are still raging out of control and multiple traffic accidents have been reported in-cluding a 25-vehicle pileup following the crash of a tanker truck, which Emergency services say may have cost more than 34 lives.

Check our node for regular news updates and more information as rescue operations and recovery continue. <link to additional media content>
// end attachment //
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Unread postby viridian » November 30th, 2008, 9:31 pm

Nuclear Terrorism in Hong Kong threatens the Entire PacRim Community

(Reuters Newsfax 2070) Sources high up with Misuhama Computer Technology confirmed that the destruction of Phillipino-flagged container ship was the culmination of a desperate operation to prevent the sale of large quantities of stolen nuclear materials to terrorist organization around the globe.

"We are beginning to suspect that elements associated with the Huk Pirates have cooperated with the known terrorist organization 9x9 - already under investigation for their role in the massive loss of life in the ongoing attacks in Hong Kong itself," report Matsudaira Konehura, VP of Corporate Security. "These horrific terrorist incidents diverted corporate and civil security forces, allowing the theft of well over a metric ton of fissible materials from a high security storage site on southern Lantau Island. The theft was traced to a container ship that had already departed the area at high speed."

As the vessel was already in international waters, attempts were made to contact the Phillipino civil authorities to have the vessel seized upon it's arrival in Manila. However, after some of the materials were evidently used in a crude device that destroyed a trio of civilian pleasure vessels that passed to close to the runaway freighter, it was decided that more extreme measures had to be taken. "With the approval of the corporate court, a kinetic re-entry weapon was deployed to neutralize the vessel. While the fissible materials were not able to be recovered, they are expected to sink into the benthic depths where they will be safe from any who would misuse them," Mr. Konehura reported. "Waiting until the vessel arrived in Manila was simply not an option, as it would expose the civilian population to an unacceptable level of risk. Given the utter ruthlessness and disregard for life shown by these despicable terrorists, I personally pushed for a solution that would not risk the death of any more law-abiding citizens." At this point, Mr. Konehura became visibly distraught and had to leave the podium. Rumors abound that his youngest son may have been vacationing on one of the vessels destroyed by the Nuclear Pirates, but at this time they are unsubstantiated.

Greenpeace activists have already filed protests regarding the potential ecological impact of this action.

In further news, members of the Japanese Diet have also lobbied for a greater military presence in the Phillipines to suppress Terrorist organizations like the Huk Pirates, who only last year assassinated the Governor of the island chain.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby forbin » December 2nd, 2008, 11:47 pm

I am still as unsure as to what happened in Hong Kong as anyone else, but a contact of mine has informed me that much of the explosive force responsible for the destruction at QEH seems to have originated from a previously undocumented sub-level. A local wiz supposedly came across the area while searching for survivors via the astral, and from what I understand, authorities are planning on excavating the location as soon as rescue operations have been completed.
<<<LogosCryptos>>>

While that's interesting and all, I'm way more concerned with whatever might be the real reason for MCT to be dropping Thor-shots onto a cargo vessel in the middle of the South China Sea. Preventing weapons grade nuclear material from falling into the hands of "terrorists" sounds all well and good, but who here actually believes the drek Mitsuhama is spinning? My bet is that ship was carrying something of great embarrassment to MCT and they needed to get rid of it quick. How they managed to get that approved by the the Corp Court is beyond me but it probably involved a lot of hefty bribes and favors trading hands.
<<<Santos>>>

Hundreds if not thousands of people were killed by the destruction in Hong Kong and you're worried about what might have happened to a pirate ship? That's cold Santos, really frakking cold.
<<<MayQueen>>>
forbin

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 3rd, 2008, 1:06 am

It's cold, yes, but sometimes as Runners we have to be, at least until we can find someplace safe to have a breakdown. And I happen to agree with Santos, this thing stinks all the way out to Astral. No corp would go out of their way to put down a pirate ship with such a lucrative cargo when they could just as easily have sent their own thugs to acquire the stuff in international waters. Something was on that ship alright, but I'd wager a pretty nuyen that if anyone ever manages to find the wreckage, if there's any left, they won't find a single bit of radiation. As for "pleasure craft"? Phah, those waters are pirate-central. My guess is that they decided to take the craft, but there was a passenger with a bit more magical might than they were expecting on-board. I managed to get some glances at a sat-map of the area at the time, and that ain't no mushroom cloud. Too small for one thing.
<<<Kraken>>>

Aye, but ye must admit, the loss of life in that hospital was no wee thing to be brushing off now.
<<<Hudson>>>

As I said before, sometimes you have to be cold to survive in this business.
<<<Kraken>>>
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Return to “%s” Newsbytes