Club Dinner Transcript

Club Dinner Transcript

Unread postby bibliophile20 » December 3rd, 2008, 6:46 pm

//Begin file

I boosted this from a guy 's comm in Renton. I wont go into details (no really), but I'd been asked to
get some personal info on the guy and this was amongst the files. Natch I kept a copy so I thought
I'd share. Looked boring until I started reading it properly. See what you think, chummers.

<<<Netdog>>>

Professionals don't keep copies and distribute their Johnson's paydata to their mates.

<<<MrBiz>>>

Frag off .
<<<Netdog>>>

So here we are once again, it's the anniversary of the Night of Rage, once again. And the trid
is full of well meaning noise about tolerance, <pause> once again. Mothers of Metahumans have
their rally, and the Orc Rights Committee – that's such a clever acronym <pause for laugh> ­ well,
they'll be having their usual celebrations in the usual places. Can you imagine that? Using the Night
of Rage when so many of their own kind were killed, as an excuse for a party? But they know that
tonight, they can get away with a lot more. Anyone who speaks out will be 'prejudiced.' Lone Star
will be reluctant to arrest any metahuman tonight. They don't want to cause a 'situation' by
appearing prejudiced. And that's what I want to talk to you about tonight – prejudice. We get
accused of it a lot, we in the club, and I know that most of us here tonight at this fine dinner
<acknowledge Kenneth> are in the club. So what I want to talk about is what prejudice really is.
And maybe even how to deal with those accusations.

Club?
<<<EatMyDrek>>>

The Humanis Policlub. This is obviously a speech someone was planning to give at one of their
fundraisers or something. I wonder if  Kenneth is Kenneth Brackhaven, mayoral candidate. Netdog
– you realize this file could actually be quite dangerous if it's real?

<<<OMFWOG>>>

You see prejudice is a bad thing. It's a blind reaction based on fear. That's why I don't like it
when Humanis is accused of it. We do a lot of good work to help people. I've personally been
involved with founding two new schools for the disadvantaged and I've campaigned tirelessly for
greater community aid in our deprived areas. Our organization is a godsend to many people. But
we're called prejudiced because we deal with uncomfortable truths. Truths that those in high office
and in the media can ignore because they're not down here working to keep society afloat like we
are.

Doesn't sound too bad so far.
<<<EatMyDrek>>>

Oh it's classic by the book. First he agrees with his accusers – 'prejudice is bad', then he tells us
why we should trust him – 'we do good things,' then he appeals to authority 'uncomfortable truths'
and rounds it off  by undermining the opponents' right to accuse him ­ 'we know more about the
situation than they do.' Notice he hasn't actually said anything, yet. He's just showing you why he's
going to be right. You think it's not too bad. I think it's scary.

<<<OMFWOG>>>

Why ?
<<<EatMyDrek>>>

I'm a troll.
<<<OMFWOG>>>

Let's start with the most obvious – numbers. How many orcs lived in Seattle 18 years ago? I'll tell
you. It was just under 90,000. Do you know where that figure stands today? 190,000. Can you
believe that? Some orc mothers have been known to give birth to eight young together. Eight! Can
you imagine where that will lead in another 18 years. In the time that it takes your children to
become old enough to vote, they'll have become a minority and there wont be much point! Now that
concerns me. People call that concern prejudice, but when I ask them if they have an answer – no
they don't.

Okay, so do you have an answer to that, OMF?
<<<EatMyDrek>>>

Course he doesn't. This guy is actually right. Statistical facts aren't racism. It's just facing the truth.
Isn't it reasonable to be worried about knowing that you're going to be governed by an orc and
there's nothing you can do about that?

<<<Bos Fugit>>>

No facts aren't racism, but that doesn't mean that the conclusion isn't. This is one of the usual
debating tricks – stick in a few facts and tell people they equal what you're saying without too much
analysis. If the fact is right, then you are right. People like simple arguments.

<<<OMFWOG>>>

I notice you didn't answer the question, chummer.
<<<Bos Fugit>>>

Okay, first the guy assumes that it's a bad thing if you have an orc mayor. Why?  Seattle orcs are
putting up with a human mayor? He's assuming that there's some big gulf  between human interests
and metahuman interests and an orc mayor would favor orcs over humans. It's the blindspot of
every racist to think that the target of their hate thinks just like them. There's no real difference
between humans and orcs or trolls or dwarves. Some of us are bigger and some of us are smaller.
What does it really matter? When the economy sucks it sucks for all of us. When there's crime or
corruption or war, it affects us all the same. Our needs and wants aren't any different. So when he
suddenly goes 'Orc Mayor – Boo!' and you jump, he 's already sneaked a little bit of prejudice into
your way of thinking. He doesn't need to be right or wrong about the numbers – what matters is
making you think like he does. A well meaning anti­racist who tries to attack those figures has fallen
straight into his trap – they've accepted his basic assumption that there's an irreconcilable
difference between metatypes and their aims are mutually exclusive.

<<<OMFWOG>>>

So what about those numbers?
<<<EatMyDrek>>>

Do you know how much a regular old fashioned human produces in terms of kids? About two per
couple in the developed world in their lifetime. Just barely enough to keep the population in
existence. Do you know how much humans are naturally capable of ? A woman could have eight
kids in the Third World before she dies. Or more. They don't because they don't need to and they
have other things to do with their lives. Humans below the poverty line have lots of kids. Those with
more education and money have fewer 'cause they use birth control or are more careful. You know
which side of the poverty line most orcs are on? Give orcs the same chances and opportunities as
humans they 'll cut back in just the same way. Successful career orcs usually have one or two kids
the same as anyone else. See ­ this guy 's big scary threat has just vanished. Just like that.

<<<OMFWOG>>>

Sounds fairly convincing when you put it like that.
<<<EatMyDrek>>>

Yeah, trouble is I ain't going to get the chance to most people that hear this. Fear is a lot easier to
spread than reassurance.

<<<OMFWOG>>>

Lets talk about something else. Lets talk about intelligence. The strength of a nation is built on its
ability, its strength. But the days when strength meant raw physical power are long gone. We don't
find our economic might based on how many mammoth we can hunt. What we need is education,
intelligence and brilliant minds. That's what our industry is built on. And the next uncomfortable
truth is that orcs and trolls are quite simply less intelligent than humans. Scientific testing has
shown this again and again. If orcs and trolls continue to make up ever greater parts of the
population, then what happens to the average education of our nation.

This is another nasty little bit. He's presenting this as undisputed truth but I don't agree.
<<<OMFWOG>>>

Oh face the facts. There are countless studies that prove this.
<<<Bos Fugit>>>

Back in the day, there used to be countless studies showing that minority ethnic groups were less
intelligent than caucasians. Sounds ridiculous to discriminate on the basis of skin colour, but
people used to do it. When you looked at the tests closely, you always found that it didn't properly
take account of the fact that these ethnic groups suffered from worse environments, poorer
education and more limited opportunities.

<<<OMFWOG>>>

Skin colour means nothing. I'm black. I'm as smart as anyone else. My wife's Chinese – no different.
But trolls? Come on!

<<<Bos Fugit>>>

This guy has got one thing right so far and that prejudice is a blind emotional reaction. It means to
pre­judge, literally. To make an assumption about someone based on your own preconceptions,
rather than on them personally. Even if  a troll scores 10 IQ points lower on average than a human,
it doesn't mean that the next troll you meet isn't going to have a degree in chemistry.

<<<OMFWOG>>>

Right! And how many trolls do you know with a degree in chemistry?
<<<Bos Fugit>>>

Well, there's me.
<<<OMFWOG>>>

Heh!
<<<EatMyDrek>>>

Wait a minute. I know who you are. You're that shadowrunner works with Crucible's crew?
Specializes in demolitions? Drek – you took apart that Fuchi compound! OMFWOG – Of ten
Mistaken For Wrath of God!

<<<Netdog>>>

The same. Hmmm. Looks like Bos has dropped off  line. Must be embarrassing to be put down by a
'trog.'

<<<OMFWOG>>>

Now this isn't to say that we should be unfair to these metatypes. There's still going to be a need for
their physical abilities, their endurance. But it has to be channeled to best use. It can't just be
allowed to surface in street violence and aggression. Quite frankly, if they aren't able to compete in
those jobs that demand greater education, then we should be focusing our greatest educational
efforts on those that can and scaling back our efforts on those that can't. There's no sense in
someone pursuing a long academic program when they're never going to put it to use. And it's unfair
to them when they have a statistically shorter lifespan, too. Nature has designed them for manual
labor and to be capable of it from an early age. People may call this prejudice, but I call it an
economic truth. Kenneth's proposals for shifting orc areas education programs from formal
schooling to a more streamlined vocational system are the best for our city and just as importantly,
best for the orcs and the trolls themselves.

Even I can see things wrong with this.

<<<EatMyDrek>>>

Yeah, but imagine you were sitting at that dinner with Kenneth Brackhaven smiling down at you and
you were listening to it all in one go rather than reading at your own pace. And if  you didn't have a
friendly troll making commentaries. Can you see how easy this can slip down. Especially to
someone who has had negative experiences with a meta. I mean, you get worked over by another
human (you're human, right?) and it doesn't matter how bad, you aren't going to start hating
humans. But what if  a troll smacked you. Would you trust me less? What if  three orcs shouldered
you out of the way in a club and took your girl. Would you look at all big orcs as a potential threat?
That's how racism works – on the basest instinctive levels. That's why it's dangerous. We have to use
our reason to overcome it and that's something a lot of people don't do. They let other people, like
this guy, reach conclusions for them. Given them 'facts' that they can quote. It can sneak in where
you least expect it.

<<<OMFWOG>>>

So that's why I believe in Humanis. Some people call us prejudiced, but what we really want is
what's best for everyone. We want a happy, functioning society where humans and metahumans
fulfil their best potential and have a relationship that is natural. Not imposed by a society that has
preconceived ideas that simply don't fit the facts anymore. Imposing your preconceptions on people
that don't fit them? That, my friends, is the real prejudice. And with your help and support, we are
doing our best to fight it.

Thank you.

<pause for applause>

You think he 'll get any?

<<<EatMyDrek>>>

I think he 'll get a lot. And that's what I'm afraid of. Netdog. Who was your Johnson for this?
<<<OMFWOG>>>

You know you don't ask that, OMF.
<<<Netdog>>>

Yeah, but just tell me his metatype. Didn't see any gangers about in black and grey colours?
<<<OMFWOG>>>

Why?
<<<Netdog>>>

Cause the Ragers run front for the Sons of Sauron and they 're the ones who pay for this sort of crap.
Makes superb recruiting material and an inside line on what Humanis is thinking up. But something
like this will drive them nutso. I'd expect a little action to follow soon. Unfortunately prejudice
works both ways. You may have just ignited another round of firebombings and shootings.

<<<OMFWOG>>>

Oh drek.
<<<Netdog>>>

(OOC note: Thank you to knasser of the Dumpshock forums for permission to post this)
bibliophile20

Return to “%s” Queries