Expanding the world - NPCs and Locations

Out of play chat and commentary on the game.

Re: Expanding the world - NPCs and Locations

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 30th, 2010, 11:50 pm

I was actually talking about Naruto. Itsuki would be all for being part of it though.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby spudman » January 31st, 2010, 12:11 am

Naruto's retired though.

You know, that mission could be run before this one is over.

Send Itsuki, get Nasdaq and Disconn in on it as well. Maybe the twins and/or Tsukiko.

You don't have to run it yourself Anti, if you're too busy. Info on the slaving groups can be fleshed out as we go to an extent.
spudman

Unread postby ewuvi » January 31st, 2010, 12:24 am

I was actually talking about Naruto. Itsuki would be all for being part of it though.
Yeah...in addition to Naruto being retired, he's an NPC, so putting him on a mission like that could be awkward.

Kyoko would not want to be on that mission for various reasons. She would only (grudgingly) agree to it if Kagami wanted to or Tsukiko insisted that she do so.
ewuvi

Unread postby AntiNaba » January 31st, 2010, 12:25 am

I don't think I've the time to run both of them. Plus, I'm annoyed that nobody got the Way reference in the name of the Slaving Group.
AntiNaba

Unread postby serbii » January 31st, 2010, 3:13 am

Yeah...in addition to Naruto being retired, he's an NPC, so putting him on a mission like that could be awkward.

Kyoko would not want to be on that mission for various reasons. She would only (grudgingly) agree to it if Kagami wanted to or Tsukiko insisted that she do so.
On one one hand it's going to be dirty and smelly, on the other hand Kagami "canvassing a huge area in a short amount of time" is quite appealing especially since swampland = water = going for the suiton dragon size record.
Kyoko's got a worse element for it.

Hey Anti? What's Kojira's official position in Konoha? Is he considered a Konoha ninja, a Mori one on loan etc?
serbii

Unread postby spudman » January 31st, 2010, 4:10 am

Heh, forgot to ask. What about the augments. What does Hanabi, Naruto (and Hinata and Sakura, I guess), and Konoha in general know about them? How Kojira uses them?

The way Kumiko described it...that's some nasty stuff.
spudman

Unread postby AntiNaba » January 31st, 2010, 4:33 am

Hey Anti? What's Kojira's official position in Konoha? Is he considered a Konoha ninja, a Mori one on loan etc?
Officially he's a Konoha nin.
Heh, forgot to ask. What about the augments. What does Hanabi, Naruto (and Hinata and Sakura, I guess), and Konoha in general know about them? How Kojira uses them?

The way Kumiko described it...that's some nasty stuff.
Naruto and the others are aware of the general effects of the augments (Gives Kojira power boosts, can be used to make more resilient clones, have to recharge for a while, if a large circle or circles appear to be floating behind Kojira's back, shit got serious. Also make him a poor mix with medical, Jyuken and Raiton techniques), and Hanabi is aware from the hints that Kojira has dropped that they've something to do with the souls. Hanabi also realised that since Kojira refers to himself as a master of both augments and Kinjutsu, the two are connected. However, his excellent track record is incentive enough not to peer too closely into it.

Oh god, not another explanation on Augments. Here:

1) People who die prematurely have a sort of... call it potential energy. The Soul is expected to live for, say, 80 years. If someone is killed (Not dies, killed) at 40, they have 40 years worth of 'restlessness' in their soul. That energy is spent wandering the earth, immaterial and invisible, peering into the lives of others. If they stop wandering or refuse to leave their deathplace, they become common ghosts. If they continue to wander, you have the eponious Wanderers.

2) Augments are tattoos carved under (That's right. Under) the skin), which have two ways to be done. The first way is to have a 'body-map', or a fabric with corrosive augment-lines tracing a second chakra circulatory system done in corrosive ink. You apply, say anything from a square (For more complicated augment components) to an entire sheet (Wraps the user, entire body is fused with the augment lines, sets a strong groundwork) to the flesh, it burns into the skin, replacing it. The second one, the cruder version reserved for lower-classes and slaves, is simply have a chunk of flesh hacked out of the use, traced with ink and put back in, where the cancerous form of the augment will intergrate with the rest of the body -provided the user survives. It's a big chunk.

3) These augments attract, trap and 'convert' the Wanderers, taking their potential energy and using the 'shape' of the soul to be used as a physical outline for Otsuki bunshin. It is from this that Otsuki powers are derived from: From accelerated healing to increased control over chakra to stronger ninjutsu, these wanderers are the key.

Tl;dr: Augments trap wanderers for fuel. They can wait for them to come in naturally, or kill fresh (Preferably young, with more energy) victims in order to gain more power.
AntiNaba

Unread postby serbii » January 31st, 2010, 4:37 am

GOD DAMN IT ANTI!
Your sig made me lose The Game!
serbii

Unread postby AntiNaba » January 31st, 2010, 4:59 am

While I have won it. Shazam!
AntiNaba

Unread postby serbii » January 31st, 2010, 5:16 am

Awww, you're making me feel guilty for using guilt trip no jutsu in the mission thread.
:sadfriend for Kojira.
serbii

Unread postby AntiNaba » January 31st, 2010, 5:18 am

He hasn't gotten to the worst of it, yet.
AntiNaba

Unread postby spudman » January 31st, 2010, 5:18 am

Thanks Anti, but just for my own curiousity, what ultimately happens to the wanderers used in such augments? When their potential life energy is used up are they just gone completely, as in oblivion? Stuck in the augments? Or move on to heaven/hell/whatever destination they were going to eventually get to...

*back at the Namikaze compound*

Gamahoshi: Can I have a pastry?

Hinata: :police
spudman

Unread postby AntiNaba » January 31st, 2010, 5:21 am

They depart to the afterlife. Unless they're used in a... different way. But that's extremely rare. Not because it's unethical, but because that particular technique makes the user absolutely useless for a decade afterwards.

Expect to see it used at the end of the mission.
AntiNaba

Unread postby serbii » January 31st, 2010, 5:32 am

Let me guess, Kumiko has no intention of using it herself.
serbii

Unread postby spudman » January 31st, 2010, 7:11 am

Ugh, I have three posts in the works right now.

Tsukiko guiding the psychopath around, trying to figure out if there is ANYTHING else to her.

Hanabi's reaction to Tsuyoshi's report.

What Nishiyori has been up to because I need to actually mention it.

*sigh* I'd finish them now but...sleep...

please be patient.
spudman

Unread postby AntiNaba » January 31st, 2010, 4:02 pm

Let me guess, Kumiko has no intention of using it herself.
Somewhat. But with a twist.
AntiNaba

Unread postby spudman » February 2nd, 2010, 1:46 am

Hey, whoa, once the actual exciting bits happen, you'll influence the entire plot. Look at the view from my point: You guys are instantly going after the one place I've mentioned to you: Hokage's sanctum. Why not strengthen the Yamanaka village-reader-thing to keep an eye on movements? Why not put together a team of ANBU to track the two Kuroda? Why not try making moving about for either twin difficult, rather than just craming the Sanctum with every nin in Konoha and making it impossible for me to do anything than A) Have Kojira and Kumiko call it off (Because missions that get called off because everyone knows everything seems to be a recurring factor) because it's too difficult or B) Have them go desperately berserk, rush the point and end up having to get a few main characters killed? The former's boring, and as for the latter -Kumiko is intended as a serious villian. She is powerful. You know all her weaknesses? Guess what? She knows them too, she's found ways around the most obvious ones.) In doing so, she was behind Kojira's exile. She has strengths, too. When the time comes, I'm counting on you lot to find ways around them. As for external knowledge, well, I've done my best to make my characters suspicious. But it's a general suspicious, so that rather precludes any specific guarding.
I thought they were already being monitored by ANBU teams. An Uchicha and Hyuuga in each one if I'm not mistaken.

Village-reading thing...Gah, I actually thought of that but thought it would be too world-bending to adjust that for a specific person. There's a lesson here: even if you think it won't be approved, ask anyway.

You've mentioned some legitimate concerns, Anti.

I'm interested in how can this sort of thing be prevented in the future?

Hmm, a few minutes ago I thought I had an idea but not really...involved private messages and such.

edit: that one part bolded because if not that effects what Hanabi would do in the tower thread. I'm sure there were was an ANBU team on Kumiko at least.
spudman

Unread postby Phht » February 2nd, 2010, 3:34 am

If it helps any, I'm keeping a close eye on wikidot's work on enabling private categories on public wikis (currently highest rated wanted feature on wikidot's "we need" category list). When it finally goes in, we may be able to make a GM category of sorts for plot work for threads. Might keep some of the issues down.

Also, I thought the plan was to stick ANBU on at least one of the two Kurodas, like spudman thought. Looking at the Hokage Thread, that order did not seem to be given. Hm. :? An upside: wiring up the Hokage's room temporarily means if they have Kumiko meet Hanabi there, it'll be recorded for the various ANBU geeks like various Yamanaka to pour over for anything they can extract from the meeting. Body language, tone, word choice, etc.

As to the village sensor barrier... maybe not make a change for one person (Kumiko), but to get better detection of any Augment wearing/using people? From what the higher ups are seeing, Mori is looking to be unfriendly so having an easier time detecting them would be a good move. If either Kuroda gets caught (on camera or in person) stealing something from the Tower, then it becomes more important.

Though, it seems like all it does is register an "invalid" breech of the barrier, and not where they go after entering. When Animal Realm was tossed through the barrier, the report was "gate, sector" and nothing more specific like they could track within the barrier. OTOH, it is possible that after Pein's invasion, Konoha worked to upgrade the barrier seals, etc to handle picking up people within the barrier (possibly "tagging" them if they cross the barrier illegally? Or maybe all visitors get "tagged" in and out whenever they cross the barrier?). Altering the detection to include tagging any Augment using people within the barrier (plus the regular tagging of visitors) might not be too huge a stretch. ... Along with equipping the Barrier teams with wireless radios to communicate with to take advantage of the upgrades. (for that matter, where do the Barrier teams fit into Konoha's forces?)
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby serbii » February 2nd, 2010, 3:40 am

(That's it. From now on, I am never hinting anything to you people again.)
Ahaha, probably a good idea. Right now we're kind of waiting for the hammer to fall, so we're leaping on any dropped hints.
serbii

Unread postby spudman » February 3rd, 2010, 12:56 am

Ugh, that was not what Tsukiko was talking about Kumiko...
spudman

Unread postby AntiNaba » February 3rd, 2010, 12:58 am

To her, the words mean exactly the same thing. Except 'Give your lives more the village' means 'Give your lives and more for the village.'
AntiNaba

Unread postby spudman » February 3rd, 2010, 1:04 am

Well, Tsukiko is about to go into intellectual mode.

It's your fault, Anti.
spudman

Unread postby AntiNaba » February 3rd, 2010, 2:41 am

And the ball's back in the park!
AntiNaba

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » February 3rd, 2010, 2:46 am

Hey Anti, you know I'm just joking in that one post, right?

Also, one little detail Kumiko overlooked. We've only got her word for any of that description. And considering that her entire Village was sealed off for so long and hasn't been in contact with the outside world until a very short time ago, relatively speaking,, I'm having a hard time reconciling that fact with the pretty little picture she just painted.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Phht » February 3rd, 2010, 2:50 am

Maybe she's thinking of the village men when talking about that?
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Return to “%s” Moritake's