Expanding the world - NPCs and Locations

Out of play chat and commentary on the game.

Expanding the world - NPCs and Locations

Unread postby serbii » May 30th, 2009, 7:04 am

Topic for NPCs and locations. Things that you posted in your character's bio/backstory, in conversation or just decided on. Post (and debate) here so we can build a bit of a world up and you don't need to make a new character every time you need to speak of or to someone.
I did consider going through everyone's bios and putting up the info from there. But I was lazy and figured you may want to change things.
(I didn't intend on editing the top post to group everything, though it may happen sometime in the future I guess)
Naming is hard :D

History:
Takes place some 66 years after Naruto's birth. Canon timeline including the nuking of Konoha.
Rokudaime: Uzumaki Naruto, Married Hyuuga Hinata and Haruno Sakura. Has a hoard of grand children. Recently retired to spend more time with them.
Nanadaime: Hyuuga Hanabi (by most people's accounts it seems). If she was head of the Hyuuga house she passed it on to become Hokage.

(Do we use nana or shichi for the seventh? And why do they need two words for seven?)

People:
Current (young) Ino-Shika-Cho trio: Nara Shikateru (Kontan's [psalm] cousin), Yamanaka Inona, Akimichi Chosa. Age not set yet, somewhere between 13 and 17 probably.
Hyuuga Hoshi (16): Hotaru's [serbii] older, much nicer sister. Both Matsuda Ichigo (flux_blade) and his brother Hayate had (have?) a crush on her. She and Hotaru aren't descended from Hinata, Hanabi or Neji, they're random branch family.
The Uchia: Sasuke got drunk and wandered into a fangirl nest. His clan was revived, it was seen as a great victory for fangirl kind and is often referred to as "the Uchia incident". So there are Uchia wandering around.
The Hyuuga: No longer brand branch family. What happens with sucession? Haven't decided.
Kotone Honoka: Kotone Ushio's [serbii] mother. Chuunin, diplomat.
Hoshino Kaito: Ushio's [serbii] father. Jounin. Lives in wave. Long story :lech

Places:
The Crater/Lakeside: The crater is now a lake and people refer to it by either name. Konoha was rebuilt next to it.
Ichiraku Ramen: Significantly larger than it was in Naruto's day :biggrin1
Mitarashi Dangos: Make good dango. The owner is really hot XD

More:
Psalmy and my genin team was 'Team 4' and consisted of Nara Kontan (psalm), Kotone Ushio (serbii) and Hyuuga Hotaru (serbii). Sensei was Kontan's dad Nara Shikari (psalm)
Hotaru is now chuunin and Matsuda Ichigo (flux_blade) is our new team mate

That's all I can think of for now. Contribute
serbii

Re: Expanding the world - NPCs and Locations

Unread postby MEKristian » May 30th, 2009, 10:59 am

Places:

Old Konoha- The various buildings deemed unusable during the rebuilding. Most have sunken into the earth by now.

Catacombs- The former grave sites of the First and Second Hokages. Filled with mostly disabled traps, also said to connect to an former ROOT base.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Wittgen » May 30th, 2009, 11:17 am

Nandaime sounds more right to me for some reason. Wikipedia confirmed that it's the one more commonly used with counters. Still, both popped up the right kanji when I tried typing them in word, so maybe both are right? Whatever. I would go with nanadaime.

As to why there are two, it is because Japanese has a set of traditional number words and then a set of "imported" number words from China. With the exceptions of four and seven, the Chinese derived words are more common.

Aoshi was taught by Irukarou Kajiya, a former member of the seven swordsman of the mist. He was an inventor and smith. He hated Kisame. The chance to kill shark face was kind of taken away by that "insufferable fox brat's stupid mini-harem," but at least he got to stab a few holes in samehada once. I thought through more about him, but then the timeframe for the game changed from what I was expecting, so he's dead and it's not that important.
Wittgen

Unread postby Random_fan » May 30th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Nakashima Kurokawa, Kenta's younger brother who's still in the academy. Depending on the day the two are either best friends or worst enemies. Being still in the academy Nakashima hasn't realised completely what it means to be a ninja, but Kenta's trying to teach him there's nothing wrong with stabbing an opponent in the back. He's also very inquisitive and energetic, which is usually what gets Kenta annoyed at him. He'll probably be mentioned by Kenta often.
Random_fan

Unread postby serbii » May 30th, 2009, 9:17 pm

The chance to kill shark face was kind of taken away by that "insufferable fox brat's stupid mini-harem,"
I like to think Sakura and Hinata then got "Proud member of that insufferable fox brat's stupid mini-harem" printed on T-shirts.
serbii

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 30th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Phun Tsuyoshi aka "That cagey bastard!" - Itsuki's maternal grandfather. Quite possibly the only member of his family that even pretends to understand Itsuki. A master of observation and reading people that is only surpassed by the Hyuuga, he turned this trait into a powerful mercantile weapon. He's also one of the few non-ninjas that can say he bagged an enemy during the Sound/Sand Invasion (in fact, he has three Sound headbands mounted one the wall behind his chair in his office, the vests hanging under them). He's also the only member of the family to really offer advice on Itsuki's early endeavors to become a ninja, not simply empty platitudes.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Flux_Blade » May 30th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Serbii, I think we had Neji as clan head, since Naruto helped change them, it would make decent amount of sense for the strongest in Jyuuken of their generation to take over.

Also, I think we must convince some artist to draw that.

And on people
Tenten is still alive as seen in someone's hobbies.
Lee has grandchildren, one of whom is named after Neji.
Ichigo's parents, Chou and Daisuke, own a clothing store. Older brother dates one of the recent Sarutobi.
Still proud owner of no avatar.

Digimon Quest, it's back. Clicky.
Flux_Blade

Unread postby Phht » May 31st, 2009, 1:54 am

Hitokasegi Abunai [46]: Born 20 AK. She was part of Team Anko under Mitarashi Anko (31-38 AK). Much of Anko's personality rubbed off on Abunai (which then rubbed off on Higure). Higure's jounin-sensei (59-64 AK) and head of Team Abunai.
Yuuhi clan: While extremely small due to wars and Kyuubi, Kurenai's not the only Yuuhi in Konoha (likely the best known though). Kurenai is still alive and considered a clan elder. Higure is related to her as a third cousin (I think. One of Kurenai's parents and one of Higure's great-grandparents were siblings). Current clan head is Kurenai's son.
Mitarashi Anko [62*]: Retired in 38 AK at age 50 and opened a dango shop. Got married (somewhere within 16 -38 AK), had kid(s), and passed away in 50 AK due to health issues caused by the curse seal decades earlier. Her family took over running the dango shop.

--

I suggest Hanabi becoming Nanadaime in 52 AK (which would put her at age 45). If Naruto becomes Rokudaime between 20 and 30 AK, then he'd have 22-32 years as Hokage and retire at age 52.

--

Side note: Dating system goes from Kyuubi attack as the start point. People should take a look at their bios and change dates to reflect that fact (+16 years would be the shift) if needed since the original start time for AK when many bios were written was the Invasion of Konoha.
Last edited by Phht on May 31st, 2009, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Wittgen » May 31st, 2009, 2:37 am

When I wrote my bio, AK stood for After Konoha. When did that change?

Also, are you seriously naming someone "Dangerous?" :|
Wittgen

Unread postby AntiNaba » May 31st, 2009, 3:07 am

Yeah! Don't mess with my template!

It could be naming him/her 'Not a horsefly'.
AntiNaba

Unread postby serbii » May 31st, 2009, 7:37 am

I think half the group is using AK as After Konoha and the other as After Kyuubi.
(I with Kyuubi myself)
serbii

Unread postby Wittgen » May 31st, 2009, 7:52 am

That would be abudewanai Anti. Abunai is definitely dangerous.

As for the time line, half of us should fix it then. Since AK was originally stated as being "after Konoha," I think that means the "after Kyuubi" people should change their's. And that's really my reasoning. It's not that I am just terribly lazy and really don't want to change mine.
Wittgen

Unread postby Darkandus » May 31st, 2009, 9:36 am

(possibility of implementation for discussion by the group.)

The Elemental nations: Flora, Fauna and Sentient Beings.
Volume 4. Pg.96
by Ryuusuke Yoshirou, Travelling mercenary.

It is a common fallacy amongst people in large cities that the tailed beasts are the only Demons of the world. This concept has largely come to pass due to a number of factors. Firstly the tailed beasts are impossible to ignore due to their vastly destructive nature when they are in a frenzy. Secondly, as a rule of thumb, Demons who are not frenzied cannot stand the stink of large amounts of Humans and as such tend to avoid large settlements of them as if they were a pit of rotting, diseased carcasses.

As a general rule Demons have the potential to be stronger than a Human, this is balanced by the fact that, due to faster breeding rates Humans outnumber most Demon tribes by ten to one. This rule however is subverted by several tribes of insectoid Demons who, while generally weaker than an average Human, have large numbers. The rule is also inverted by the rare few Humans who grow to be remarkably powerful and can overwhelm a large group of strong Demons, and the even rarer individual who can directly combat a Demon Lord and survive.

When it comes to Demons there is a mistaken assumption by most people that they are all inherently evil, this is due to the example of the rare few who are so driven by power or bloodlust that they can stand the presence of large quantities of humans as they slaughter them. There are Humans who exist in all spectrums of Karma, this statement is also true for Demons.

While most Demons can't stand large groups of Humans, as long as you are respectful and in a relativly small group it is perfectly possible to enter a Demon village. While there are generally very few laws in a Demon village be very sure that you know and understand all the laws of the settlement before you enter. Breaking a law in a Demon village will generally result in heavy penalties as most Demons are obsessive about honor, and breaking a law in a Demon village whose occupents are obsessed with being honorable will at the minimum result in LITERAL branding as untrustworthy and expulsion from the village forever. If they learn you have removed the brand they will come for you and end you, no matter who you are, where you are or how long it takes, even death is known to be no escape as they will follow you to the afterlife to settle things.

While most Demons cannot stand to enter large settlements they do have trade agreements and have been known to form alliances with small human settlements. It is also not completly unknown for a rare few Demons to enter smaller human settlements in the capacity of a Tourist or Scholar. It is very rare indeed for a Demon to enter a Ninja village. Ninja "villages" generally pass the comfort threshold due to numbers and as such it would be a very rare demon who could stand to be in one for any length of time without entering while in a frenzy. Demon villages also tend to solve their problems by themselves and would only go for help to a Ninja village if it was to hire an extraordinary Ninja for a task that it was impossible for the entire Demon village to complete. Even if they required Ninja services they would still generally avoid Konoha.

Any Demon to enter Konoha has, for many decades, been at best barely tolerated and at worst chased away by lunatics with torches and pitchforks. This is due to the attack by the Demon lord Kyuubi as instigated by Uchiha Madara. Fortunatly relations between Konoha and Demonkind have been on an upswing lately due to the actions of a minor dog Demon. As the dog Demon was wandering through the village it was attacked by a cat with demonic heritage known as Tora. Apparently the cat was graced with incredibly long life and had been the bane of Konoha's genin forces for generations.The Demon defended itself, mauling and killing the cat. As such the Demon was declared a National Hero by the Rokudaime and Nanadaime Hokages as well as the Shinobi Council, The dog tribe has since been approched by Konoha for a historic alliance between a demonic tribe and a Shinobi village. Negotiations are still ongoing.
Last edited by Darkandus on May 31st, 2009, 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby serbii » May 31st, 2009, 11:01 pm

:animlol: at the last paragraph.

(open for discussion, am just making junk up about bloodlines because I like the idea.)
I'm up for having demons and other supernaturals.
Oni, Kappa, Tengu, Tanuki, Kitsune, nekomata, inugami etc (and no that's not off the top of my head, I'm trawling google)
http://www.obakemono.com/
Normal cats and foxes can become supernatural if they live long enough (Bakeneko/nekomata and two-tailed kitsune respectively)
A cat may become a bakeneko in a number of ways: it may reach a certain age, be kept for a certain number of years, grow to a certain size, belong to a deceased person or be allowed to keep a long tail. This superstition may have some connection to the breeding of the Japanese Bobtail. A cat might also become a bakeneko in order to aid a human to whom it owed a favor.
The fox refines its talents over the years and acquires wisdom with age, and it was thought that a fox lucky
enough to survive fifty or a hundred years would then be sufficiently skilled in magic to transform into a person. As a sign of its seniority, a long-lived fox would develop an extra tail with each passing century, until it possessed nine and had become impossibly powerful and clever.
The biju are not blood related to their animal counterparts. They don't have blood for one thing. They are beings of chakra with a mind/spirit but no true body unlike the normal low level demons. However they may use chakra and parts of the enviroment to construct one. They may pass on traits only by being sealed then their junchuuriki having children.
For example the byakugan developed from the bloodline of the 5-tailed host.

The lower demons/yokai/supernatural have physical bodies. Bloodlimits are the result of interbreeding of demons and humans.
The sharingan developed from a higher kitsune (7 tails or up) breeding with the byakugan line.
Both the Inuzaka and their dogs share the same demonic lineage (damn horny shape shifters)
serbii

Unread postby Random_fan » May 31st, 2009, 11:27 pm

I like the idea of demons, the alliance would also make for some fun times. The cat eing killed is a good thing but it was mentioned in game, and so far less than a day has passed in game time, so what happens with that?
Random_fan

Unread postby serbii » May 31st, 2009, 11:30 pm

Plot hole?
serbii

Unread postby Darkandus » May 31st, 2009, 11:31 pm

Emm, that was Tora 2?
Darkandus

Unread postby Wittgen » May 31st, 2009, 11:32 pm

Tora was replaced?
Wittgen

Unread postby serbii » May 31st, 2009, 11:34 pm

It is an immortal cursed being who is reborn over and over to torment genin.
serbii

Unread postby Darkandus » May 31st, 2009, 11:36 pm

Maybe, or maybe Tora bred, and now there are dozens of them, hence why Konoha wants the alliance with the Dog Demon Tribe so badly as they seem to be the only things that can kill them. Hence why the original Tora survived so long despite the amount of Ninja's who wanted it dead.
Darkandus

Unread postby Phht » May 31st, 2009, 11:41 pm

On the topic of what AK means and whether to switch the 0 AK point from there on down for several posts.

--

As for that NPC, I was aiming for something along the lines of "risky" or "hazardous" with her name being "Risky Job" or "Hazardous Job" as a bit of a joke, her being a ninja and all (and being taught by Anko). (Also, I noticed I mispelled her last name. Fixed that.)

It's weird that no one commented on my listing Anko as dead. I guess it's because her age group would be old enough they'd be dying off anyhow?

--

I knew Tora was no ordinary cat! (and I never said it was the Tora cat retrieval. Just cat retrieval. Might be Tora's spawn as someone else commented)
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby serbii » June 1st, 2009, 2:57 am

We accept and morn Anko's deadness. No one commented as everyone was fine with making that part of the canon, uh fanon.... whatever this is.

Just aside: How many people have used punny names here?
Most of my are because I am a geek (just used this mostly):
Hyuuga Hotaru: follows Hyuuga naming = Hyuuga and something starting with H to do with light. Hotaru = firefly
If I name another one they're going to be Hokuto (Ursa Major/big dipper)
Kotone Honoka: 琴音 ほのか [和花] = harp+sound harmony+flower (as in musical harmony)
Hoshino Kaito: 星野 海斗 = Star+field Ocean+constellation Ursa Major (Ocean because he's in wave, Hoshino because I liked it and he had the star meaning in his first name)
Kotone Ushio: 琴音 汐 = harp+sound + the tide (gets an ocean instead of music first name because of her father)
We need to have one of the future events as Tora spawn. Where hundreds of them are suddenly loose.
serbii

Unread postby Wittgen » June 1st, 2009, 9:55 am

Punny names are actually very good. They make the setting more original flavor. Mine isn't particularly punny.
Aoshi Namiha=青子 浪波= blue child wave wave
The mentor guy's name was more punny. Something like Dolphin *typical male name ending* blacksmith
Last edited by Wittgen on June 4th, 2009, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wittgen

Unread postby Kitsune_Akatsuki » June 4th, 2009, 12:04 pm

So...This would be where we would put our characters family members?
Kitsune_Akatsuki

Unread postby serbii » June 5th, 2009, 3:23 am

Yep, you can put them in your bio too if you want but extra stuff can go here. I made up my family members names when I was posting here :P
Here is my wonderful name source.
serbii

Return to “%s” Moritake's