Google Docs Supplement stuff (formerly: RP Timeline)

Out of play chat and commentary on the game.

Google Docs Supplement stuff (formerly: RP Timeline)

Unread postby Phht » July 3rd, 2009, 9:09 pm

I've been working (well, a while ago I was and I restarted it just now) on a timeline for the RP starting with Konoha's founding/Sarutobi's birth -whichever is earlier - and moving forward. Due to the lack of clear timeline, I've got some questions (and yes, my timeline ignores Kishi-canon after Pein's attack ends and Konan leaves. No hokage!Danzo on my timeline!).

1) Anyone know when Konoha was founded? One timeline I made has it 8 years after Sarutobi's birth (48 years before Kyuubi's attack), and the one for the RP currently has it 10 years before Sarutobi's birth (67 years before Kyuubi's attack).

2) Anyone know the actual time frames of the three great shinobi wars? If not, when do you think we should put them?

3GSW: (~0-2+ years before Kyuubi attack) Given that the 3GSW was going on at the time Kakashi became a jounin (Kakashi Gaiden) at age 13, then it started or ended somewhere in the year or two before the Kyuubi attack (Kakashi would have turned 13 one year before the Kyuubi attack).

Since Leafninja says that Orochimaru was passed over for Yondaime ~2 years before Kyuubi's attack, I would think that the 3GSW would start soon before the next Hokage is named at the earliest (I don't think Sandaime would have a change in military leadership mid-war) and some time a year before Kyuubi's attack at the latest due to Kakashi Gaiden. Then it would end either a year before the attack or earlier in the year of the attack. Thus the approx timeframe listed

2GSW: (~13/16-28 years before Kyuubi attack) I'm going on the idea that this was the one between Sand(?)/Rain and Konoha where Nagato was orphaned and the Sannin got their title. The Sannin would have been born 38 years before the Kyuubi attack, so the earliest the war could start would likely be 27-28 years before Kyuubi's attack. Leafninja says that Nagato was orphaned 28 years before series start, so that would be 16 years before Kyuubi's attack, and it says that Jiraiya trained Nagato, etc for 3 years. So the 3GSW ends ~13-16 years before Kyuubi's attack, and starts some time between 16-28 years before Kyuubi's attack.

Interestingly, Nawaki apparently was killed in this war, as Leaf ninja places his death ~16 years before Kyuubi's attack. Then 1-2 years later, she gives Dan the necklace and he gets killed.

1GSW: (~28-67 years before Kyuubi's attack) ... I've got nothing. Wasn't the Shodai or Nidaime still Hokage for that one? Leafninja places Sarutobi becoming Sandaime ~28 years before Kyuubi's attack, so the 1GSW would likely be 28+ years before Kyuubi's attack.

3) Have we determined when Naruto and Hanabi became hokages?

4) Anyone know when the Sage of the Six Paths gave chakra/ninjutsu/genjutsu/whatever to the Elemental Countries?

5) Any major events/wars/whatever between Pein's attack and RP start other than ones mentions specifically above that should be on the time line? Seems like a long time without any major wars.

0 AF - Konoha Founded
~0-39 AF - Somewhere in here was the 1GSW
~39-51/54 AF - Somewhere in here, probably the mid to later section of the time frame, was 2GSW
~65-67 AF - 3GSW. Definitely occurring 66 AF (Kakashi Gaiden), not sure if it started in 65 AF or ended in 67 AF or whole thing happened in 66AF.
67 AF - Kyuubi attack
79 AF - Sand/Sound Invasion of Konoha (If Suna hadn't surrendered immediately, it probably would've ended up as the 4GSW)
82-83+ AF - Battles with Akatsuki (Gaara loses his biju, Asuma's death, Pein's attack, etc plus unknown possible later battles)
~83-133 AF - ??? That's 50 years of nothing major, and there seems to be major dust ups between the great villages every 15-20 years up to this point. That'd point to something ~93-99 AF, then ~108-119 AF, and finally ~123-139 AF. Maybe Konoha and Suna weren't involved in it, but something should've happened in those 50 years (Perhaps a joint Iwa-Suna-Konoha peacekeeping force in Ame after Akatsuki is defeated to help keep the peace and root out the last of the religious nuts before rebuilding the hidden village? It could be used as a test of Naruto's leadership/diplomacy skills).
133 AF - RP starts

--

The timeline is currently a txt file in notepad. Once I get things firmed up more, I'll probably move it onto google docs and make it pretty. I currently have three calendar systems. If I knew when the Sage of the Six Paths gave chakra manipualtion/ninjutsu/genjutsu/whatever to the Elemental Countries, I'd have a calendar system for that as well (that would be universal between villages - ninja and civilian).

1) Konoha's Founding - Zero year is the founding of Konoha. Abbreviation is BF/AF. If Konoha was founded 67 years before Kyuubi's attack, RP is taking place 133 AF.
2) Kyuubi's Attack - Zero year is the Kyuubi's attack and sealing. Not sure what the abbreviation would be, but I'd like to think of it as BK/AK. RP takes place 66 AK. Zero year is 67 AF currently.
3) Pein's Attack - Zero year is the Invasion of Konoha by Pein. Current abbreviation used is BK/AK (for Before/After Konoha), but I'd like to think of it as BP/AP or BR/AR (Before/After Reconstruction or Rebuilding). Zero year is 16 AK and 83 AF currently.

Number 3 is the currently used calendar system in the RP, though I would think that important civilian (and all ninja) records are dated using number 1 (or the unknown Before/After Sage calendar). There's probably Admin-Nin whose job is entirely to do the dating conversions for records.

Man, when I get bored... :leaving:
Last edited by Phht on July 22nd, 2009, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Re: RP Timeline

Unread postby serbii » July 3rd, 2009, 9:44 pm

Man, when I get bored...
Don't worry I'm doing the same thing.

Danzo made his bid for Hokage but was rejected by the jounins. He tried to take it by force, Tsunade woke up and kicked his ass. He is remembered as a traitor and is not seen as officially having the Hokage title.

Sasuke got drunk and jumped by a pack of fangirls. His clan was 'revived'. It is known as The Uchia Incident and all Uchia now have fangirl blood (and avoid drinking), so they're two kinds of crazy. Some aren't too bad, when their crush likes them back they turn into quite nice people.

Kirabi went on to have a highly successful musical career.

Anko's daughter now runs a dango store.

*tries to convert dates*
[Made this up on the spot, all ok with it?]
Naruto made Hokage in his early twenties, ~87AK. He stayed at the post for 37 years (124AK) before retiring age 57 to spend more time with his family. Hanabi (aged 52ish) then took over and has been Hokage for 9 years.
Naruto was a younger Hokage, like Minato was. Hanabi is more like Tsunade.

Naruto married both Sakura and Hinata. Their children took the Uzumaki (Sakura) and Namikaze (Hinata, because the Hyuuga wanted the prestigious name) names.
[Plus the meanings fit better that way]

Also what happened to the biju?
:biggrin1 the jinchuuriki of the seven tails was called Nanako [菜々子], a not-uncommon girls' name meaning child of greens. Nanako written 七こ means seventh/seven (seven + counter).

A nice google doc syncing the time lines would be nice :D
serbii

Unread postby Phht » July 4th, 2009, 3:30 am

I should note that, at the time of the meeting with the daimyo in the manga post-Pein, Kakashi was ~30 years old. And the advisors commented that he seemed kinda young. Now, having said that, I looked up what I could on Minato on leafninja. He became a genin at age 10. Unfortunately, no age at the time of his death was listed. However, Jiraiya's biography lists that he became jounin-sensei to Minato's team ~24 years before series start (~12 years before the Kyuubi attack). Given this and Minato's Academy graduation age, Minato was born ~22 years before the Kyuubi attack. Then we look at Orochimaru's biography, which lists that he was passed over for the position of Yondaime ~14 years before series start (~2 years before the Kyuubi attack), so it sounds like that was when Minato became Hokage (though the fact that a year later he was commanding a team and running missions like a jounin...). This makes him Yondaime at ~20 years old. So it's not outside the realm of possibility that Naruto became Hokage at 20.

However, Tsunade has only been Hokage 8 years as of 87 AF when you suggest Naruto take over. Seems like a short reign there. Maybe push it out 12 years to 99 AF (16 years post-Pein) so Tsunade puts in 20 years of service as Hokage, retires at age 70, and hands it off to 32 year old Naruto. That gives Naruto 16 years to build his reputation more and get the experience he'd need to lead the village, instead of 4. Amsuingly, that would mean that Naruto would give 25 years as Hokage before retiring and handing Hanabi the hat.

--

On the topic of the wars. Sasori was said to have abandoned Suna 20 years before Gaara was kidnapped (so ~21 years pre-Pein, ~5 years pre-Kyuubi). Narutopedia's entry on the Third Kazekage - the guy Sasori human puppetted - has him going missing ~20-21 years pre-Pein, ~4-5 years pre-Kyuubi, and states that Suna's searching for his whereabouts might have been a cause of the 3GSW. This puts the time frame for the war to be, at longest, ~0-5 pre-Kyuubi (~62-67 AF).

--

Here's the rough google docs RP time line. Right now it's all dumped in one big time line, but once we gets most of the stuff firmed down (and any errors corrected) I'll have more specific timelines (Event time line, RP Players time line, etc) as their own sections so there's not as much to wade through when looking for specific info.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby serbii » July 4th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Phht, ImageIt's beautiful.

Feel free to put the kage-ships however you want. You've got a better sense of timeline than me. My suggestions are just that, suggestions (without a huge amount of thought).

Yeah once we get this more pinned down work on personal ones and fixing errors.

I think sometime down the road we need a time of year too so we can work out vague birth and graduations dates.
->(Hotaru's older than Ushio and Kontan but she only just turned 14 (a couple of days after the chuunin exams, which where maybe a month ago?) She's probably born the same year as them, they just haven't had their b'days yet)
Ah well we'll get to it later with personal timelines

*is having fun* :)
serbii

Unread postby Phht » July 5th, 2009, 3:56 am

I guess I could add a date column between the years and event columns.

And done. Date column on all time lines. It should be set to convert date to <month>-<day>, and probably is the input format (so no <day>/<month> or the like data inserted in the future, please, as I plan for others to be able to add data once things are firmed up enough).

Events Time Line added for major events - wars, Kyuubi, Hokages coming and going, etc. Color coded by war, so new key added to front sheet. In general, unless a time line specific key is added to the front, use the Default time line color key.

--

Just to make clear, when I say "the year <event> took place" in the calendar descriptions, that means the entire year is considered that. It's not like Dec 7, 1941 AD becomes Jan 1, 0 AP on a new calendar. More like going from Dec 7, 1941 AD to Dec 7, 0 AP (and no, December doesn't become the first month and November the last month of the year). Sure, it means that technically a full year from 0 to 1 might not pass under a new calendar when first adopted, but makes for easier conversion for everyone!

On the "<person> suggested (n/5)" in the notes on the primary time line: for the things that are fairly minor, I figure 5 people (~25% of the current RP group size) agreeing on that being good is enough to make it 'canon'. I don't list that stuff on the Events time line either because it already has something on the primary time line page, or I'm lazy at the moment. I figure major time line things need ~11+ people (51%+ of current group size) agreeing on it. Or whatever. I could just go with "If serbii and Phht agree, it's canon." :lol:

--

Future Plans once things are firmed up and okay:
  • Individual sheets for each RP PC. Data on these that'll be removed from the primary time line (or not included) will likely include at least part of the following:
    • Birth year/date
    • Promotions (Academy -> Genin, Genin -> Chunin, etc)
    • Team assignments or other assignments
    • Missions
  • NPC Information timeline. Mainly for the non-canon NPCs introduced by RPers.
Phht

Unread postby serbii » July 6th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Or whatever. I could just go with "If serbii and Phht agree, it's canon." :lol:
:twisted:
And then everyone got a flying pony! and then the water turned into chocolate milk and then serbii was declared God!

*pokes other people* pooooost~
serbii

Unread postby Wittgen » July 6th, 2009, 9:37 pm

It took me about 30 seconds to realize that you were in fact serbii. Icon changes mess me up.

Does my posting count even if it's completely off topic?
Wittgen

Unread postby serbii » July 6th, 2009, 9:44 pm

Ha ha!
Yeah I was getting sick of the old one and Ed gets the most awesome faces.

And no that doesn't count.
serbii

Unread postby Random_fan » July 7th, 2009, 7:16 am

Does it count if i post that I like the idea of a timeline? :biggrin1

I'll probably edit this when I can be bothered, usually that much concentration is reserved for school work. Though from the rough outline I got it seemed good.
Last edited by Random_fan on July 8th, 2009, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Random_fan

Unread postby serbii » July 8th, 2009, 4:56 am

Bah! You people are no fun... or maybe you have lives.
Ooh we have a character sheet.
I'll have to fix up Ushio and Hotaru's sheets now they've fallen into styles and personalities.
serbii

Unread postby Phht » July 10th, 2009, 4:37 am

I was looking at the time line, and remembered seeing somewhere that the founding of Konoha by the Uchiha and Senju clans was actually the first Hidden village. And then I thought that doing so ushered in a new era, from the roaming clans that formed after the Sage passed on his knowledge of chakra et al to the formation of stable villages of ninja. So I tossed out the Sage calendar idea since the zero year for that would be pretty arbitrary, and made the Konoha's Founding calendar the universal calendar of the Elemental Countries (naturally, not all areas refer to it as such but it's the same system). The other two calendar are "local" calendars that wouldn't extend as a standard calendar past Konoha or maybe Fire Country at most.

And I think I'll go with adding events as such: 1) event is added, colored properly, italicized, and "<name> suggested" in the Additional Notes box; 2) If no one comments negatively on the addition after ~7 days, the italics and suggested note are removed (making it "canon"); 3) If discussion on an event ensues, it'll take 5 approval votes / comments or the 7 day period once discussions end.

--

It's not so much a character sheet as a list of all the relevant PCs (and when I get around to it, non-canon NPCs), some important data, and their ninja stats. Just for a quick reference for what I figure might be critical info without needing to dig for the full sheet. I added Player Name to it as well now, and I'll probably add a intro/key page to explain things somewhat eventually. Also, now that I've looked up how to place net links in the spreadsheet, I'll add links to the post with the full sheet (so ignore that "search the web" link on the page. it's there so I can see how to do the links).

--

My To Do list:
  • (DONE) Sample personal timeline sheet (I did a quick one for my character)
  • (DONE) Finish adding Player Names and link to the full bio on the other spreadsheet
  • (DONE) Add non-canon NPCs to other spreadsheet
  • (DONE) Add intro/key page to other spreadsheet
--

With this work creating the time line, I'm reminded of a quote. "He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." MWAHAHAHAHAHA! :leaving:
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Phht » July 22nd, 2009, 2:02 am

With it being nearly 2 weeks since I last posted here, I feel safe posting back-to-back!

I've declared the RP Timeline out of beta! If people could pass gmail stuffs, I'll slap up sharing. Alternately, once we see how the form playing around works, I could set up timeline sheets and forms to insert data into them, then just PM the form url to the player for a sheet and they can insert data to their personal time lines.

--

Also, I'm playing around with using Forms to insert data into the RP Cast List NPC list. This form will drop data into the Test Sheet. For now I'll see how well it works out and allows people to drop that info into the spreadsheet to make it easier for me to add it to the list.

Any suggestions, issues, etc would be nice. Also, it does not replace adding the NPC to the Characters and Locations thread. Any text point that is unknown can be filled in with a ???. Feel free to be vague on E-S ranked skills rather than show whether it's high/low for the rank.

--

And to top things off, I have a really rough draft of stuff regarding promotions (and a way to come up with a rank in Ninjutsu via "testing" based off my Ninja Vocational Aptitude Test). Depending on boredom, I might list out ways to "stat" other core areas. Though Taijutsu and Genjutsu would be tougher. Issues, suggestions, comments, etc on all that stuff would also be nice.

EDIT: I just realized that the link for the form was utterly wrong and went nowhere. It should be fixed now. :futile: The last link should be working (it works in Chrome and IE8 for me, despite my FF not showing it).
Last edited by Phht on July 27th, 2009, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Re: Google Docs Supplement stuff (formerly: RP Timeline)

Unread postby serbii » July 25th, 2009, 11:49 pm

*skims* oh wow.
:yay:

*Saves to read once I've caught up on internet stuff*
serbii

Unread postby Phht » August 3rd, 2009, 3:50 am

I set Genin Exam to occur some time in April. From the rough timeline on leafninja's character bios, this puts the Suna-Oto invasion in October, Tsunade becoming Hokage in November, and Sasuke defecting in December. I'd like to think the Chunin Exams are earlier in the year rather than starting in September, but the earlier I put them, the further back the Graduation Exam is put and I don't think the graduation exam is done in the fall or winter.

To preserve the year spread for the Akatsuki conflict, I placed Naruto's return at pretty much the 3 year mark rather than the 3yr, 3mo point leafninja's Naruto bio listed. This puts Gaara's capture at December of that year, and the subsequent events of Part II during Jan-Mar. Kage Summit was placed in April, Danzo's failed coup occurs in June, and the rest of the year is spent hunting down and destroying the last of Akatsuki with an alliance of the great villages and Ame.

--

Also, added stuff to the Misc file. I'm kind aiming for it to act as a resource to keep everyone on the same page regarding stuff (Well, and as a resource for fleshing out NPC stuff). I've populated the list of Known Jutsu using Leafninja (named the lightning wolf one), and populated the Genjutsu list as well (adding in the ones I came up with, so there'd actually be more than a bare handful. We still need more Genjutsu though. :( ). Writing sections of the core basics area, etc aid/discussion would be appreciated. Particularly on ninjutsu and the effect elemental affinity has on it.

Currently, I'm thinking that I'll combine a bit of Jasruv's thoughts and a bit of Rigger's thoughts on elemental affinity (Last page of the Elemental Affinity thread in the Team 8 forum, last two posts) with the idea that A-rank or better jutsu require elemental chakra to power - maybe some of the B-ranks - so there's a hard cap on how high a jutsu one can learn (well, maybe one can learn it, but using it at a minimum level of effectiveness is a different story) without the affinity.

Sections on Taijutsu, Fuinjutsu, and Sougujutsu have nothing and I dunno what to put there. Juinjutsu has a tiny snippet and probably needs expanding.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby serbii » August 3rd, 2009, 4:51 am

If no one minds the current date in the RP, which probably varies from thread to thread is about the 17th of July which is when Team Fail heads off - I can change it easily, I just needed a date to put as Team Fail's leaving date.
*picks dates* (these are all for now, our time, not the canon)
Chuunin exam finals: June 10th
Hotaru's Birthday: June 14th (turned 14)
Ichigo meets team 4/RP starts: July 10th
Below Konoha: July 11th

About the academy:
The academy is the elite program (yes?). There are a number of ways you can get into this program (covered below). However the Shinobi Training Center also takes students from a young age as well as taking academy drop outs. The program is much more military and group based the the "officer's training" type style at the academy. Exceptional students from the STC may be given the chance to transfer over to the Academy. STC students receive a small wage to attend (and pass) and so it tends to attract more and poorer students while the Academy remains more elitist and expensive.

The Academy, unlike the STC required tuition fees, however scholarships are readily available and quite common, the village will not put a superior child in the inferior program because they can't afford it. Students must pass a basic test to get into either stream, just have base level of control and chakra so that they will be able to preform jutsu. This test must be passed except in exceptional circumstances.
-Provided they pass the entry tests children with a full Jounin parent (not necessary a Konoha Jounin) get automatic entry and free tuition to the Academy program. These children must remain in the top 25% of the class overall or the top 3 of a subject to retain this scholarship, but it's one of the perks of making jounin.
-Clans get a "discount rate" so to speak.
-There are also scholarships based on aptitude tests.
It's a bit more unusual for children from nin-ninja families to attend here than the STC. However alot of families just pay the fees and send their children here rather than the STC.

Aside from the usual classes the Acadamy organises specialist classes, these are also open to talented members of the STC and form a ninja's speciality. Students often continue to attend these classes after they graduate. They are usually (though not always) taken by a special jounin. These classes include medical jutsu, fuinjutsu, stratergy, supply and war tactics, clan based skills and clan training, demonology, spying/infiltration tactics and apprenticeships and others. It is compulsory for students in the Academy to attend at least one of these but is optional for those in the STC.

-----------
[Hotaru did her clan training as her specialist class, Ushio did fuinjutsu]
[Hotaru gets in to the academy for being from a clan, Ushio has a jounin father and kept her grades high enough to keep the scholarship]

[edited to fix a couple of things]
Last edited by serbii on August 4th, 2009, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
serbii

Unread postby Random_fan » August 3rd, 2009, 5:50 am

Well I like the timeline you set up Phht, I'm for using it.

I like the idea about the academy and the STC Serbii.

(Kenta would have taken strategy, supply and war tactics and spying/infiltration tactics. because he takes being a ninja seriously.)
Random_fan

Unread postby Phht » August 3rd, 2009, 7:03 pm

If no one minds the current date in the RP, which probably varies from thread to thread is about the 17th of July which is when Team Fail heads off - I can change it easily, I just needed a date to put as Team Fail's leaving date.
*picks dates* (these are all for now, our time, not the canon)
Chuunin exam finals: June 10th
Hotaru's Birthday: June 14th (turned 14)
Ichigo meets team 4/RP starts: July 10th
Below Konoha: July 11th
Are we going with one chuunin exam a year, or two? Because if we place six months between graduation exam and chuunin exam start, then that means that the exam started in early May (one month before the finals) and the Academy graduation exam was six months before that, in November.

Of course, if we take the bio time line literally (that is to say, 0 ASS on leafninja is Oct 10 of the year Kyuubi attacked), then Academy graduation occurs in October. Then Chuunin Exams would take place in April or early May, then end in June. Add in a chuunin exam every six months and two Academy classes a year, and I get this:

mid-Oct - Academy year A ends, graduation exam
Nov - New Academy year A begins
early-May - Chuunin Exam A starts
mid-May - Academy Year B ends, graduation exam
June - New Academy Year B begins
- Chuunin Exam A finals
early-Oct - Chuunin Exam B begins
Nov - Chuunin Exam B finals

This means that Naruto's class (Year 67A) had their first Chuunin Exam chance at the Oct one (Exam 67B), while Neji's class (Year 66B) had their first chance at the May one (Exam 67A).

Also, it means that the 6-month training period for remedial students at STC (a la Naruto: Captured) is possible because the end of the period syncs up with one of the two Academy periods.

--

I would think the specialist classes (well, aside from those 'silly' kunoichi classes we saw in the Ino/Sakura flashbacks) are actually taught out at the STC for space reasons. If we have two classes a year and students start at the Academy at age 5 and graduate at age 10, that's 12 classes minimum. If we give, say, 50% attrition rate from entering to their final year, that's four classes per year when they start and possibly something like 32+ classes in use at the Academy. Not sure if the Academy would have the rooms available for specialist classes.

Besides, it might do good for the elite schmucks to get to know the military ninjas a little.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby serbii » August 3rd, 2009, 9:14 pm

Probably two chuunin exams a year at roughly 6 month intivals, it will vary a little depending on the host Village.

I picked July because it was about now IRL and it'd put the chuunin exam finals at the start and middle of the year.

Rokudaime removed Ikebana classes, and if he didn't Hanabi sure did. To pass as a civilian?! how many of them know ikebana.

Yep I'm fine with them being taught at the STC. There's probably a lot more field trips with the spec classes, and some of the teachers may take them at their own house or somewhere more specialised for the task.
Some of the Spec classes would consist of several year and skill levels at once. For example the tactics class, engineering class etc.
serbii

Unread postby Phht » August 3rd, 2009, 11:23 pm

Just think of those that decide to specialize in, say, demolitions. Would you really want the specialization class going on at the Academy? ;) Though I think Demolitions would be a Chuunin+ specialization course rather than something available for Genin.

I would think that Naruto probably tightened up the physical requirements for graduation for kunoichi, so that we don't have physically weak kunoichi (like Ino and Sakura were at graduation). Hanabi probably went further and moved ikebana and similar "soft" kunoichi arts to a specialization course (maybe "kunoichi infiltration and cover"?).

How about this list of specializations? (pulled largely from my GVAT/NVAT docs in addition to the ones serbii listed)
Spoiler: show
  • Academy Specialization Courses Available
  • Kunoichi Infiltration and Cover (Basic Level Courses)
  • Shinobi Infiltration and Cover (Basic Level Courses) - male version of the above
  • Medic Ninja (101 Level Courses - First Aid stuff)
  • Veterinary Ninja (101 Level Courses)
  • Administration (Basic Level Courses)
  • Courier (Basic Level Courses)
  • Librarian (Basic Level Courses)
  • Fuinjutsu (101 Level Courses)
  • Strategy (Basic Level Courses)
  • Logistics (Basic Level Courses)
  • Tactics (Basic Level Courses)
  • Stealth and Infilitration (Basic Level Courses)
  • Engineering (101 Level Courses)
  • Genin Specialization Courses Available (in addition to the previous section)
  • Kunoichi Infiltration and Cover (Intermediate Level Courses)
  • Shinobi Infiltration and Cover (Intermediate Level Courses)
  • Medic Ninja (Basic Level Courses - Field Medic certification)
  • Veterinary Ninja (Basic Level Courses)
  • Librarian (Intermediate Level Courses)
  • Fuinjutsu and Sealing Specialist (Basic ("Fuinjutsu Adept" certification) Level Courses)
  • Strategy (Intermediate Level Courses)
  • Logistics (Intermediate Level Courses)
  • Tactics (Intermediate Level Courses)
  • Demolitions (Basic Level Courses)
  • Engineering (Basic Level Courses)
  • Chuunin and Higher Specialization Courses Available (in addition to previous sections)
  • Kunoichi Infiltration and Cover (Advanced)
  • Shinobi Infiltration and Cover (Advanced)
  • Seduction (Basic, Intermediate) - teaching male and female ninja how to seduce
  • Medic Ninja (Intermediate ("Combat Medic"), Advanced ("Medic Ninja"))
  • Veterinary Ninja (Intermediate, Advanced)
  • Administration (Intermediate, Advanced)
  • Courier (Intermediate, Advanced)
  • Engineering (Intermediate, Advanced)
  • Librarian (Advanced)
  • Strategy (Advanced)
  • Logistics (Advanced)
  • Tactics (Advanced)
  • Stealth and Infilitration (Advanced)
  • Demolitions (Intermediate)
  • Ninjutsu/Genjutsu/Taijutsu Specialist (Basic ("Adept" certification), Intermediate ("Specialist"), Advanced ("Master/Mistress")) - Clearing Basic level for Ninjutsu gives Ninjutsu Adept, etc
  • Fuinjutsu and Sealing Specialist (Intermediate ("Specialist"), Advanced ("Master/Mistress"))
  • Stealth and Infiltration (Intermediate, Advanced)
  • Poison Specialist (Basic ("Adept"), Intermediate ("Specialist"), Advanced ("Master/Mistress"))
  • Legal Services (Courses and levels are classified)
  • Internal Revenue (Courses and levels are classified)
  • Messenger Creature Handler (Courses and levels are classified)
  • Military Police (Courses and levels are classified)
  • Shinobi Education (Courses and levels are classified)
  • Shinobi Proctoring (Courses and levels are classified) - Trained to spot cheaters during shinobi exams
    • ANBU (Courses levels are classified for all specializations within it)
    • Operations
    • Assassination
    • Seduction
    • Hunter Nin
    • T&I
    • Cryptography
    • Forgery
    • Spymaster
    • Internal Affairs
    • Demolitions
--

I'm not complaining about the times, because it works out if we do two graduation points and two chuunin exams. Plus it works with having a 6-month long remedial course that syncs with an Academy graduation exam.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby Greybane » August 3rd, 2009, 11:47 pm

Just think of those that decide to specialize in, say, demolitions. Would you really want the specialization class going on at the Academy? ;) Though I think Demolitions would be a Chuunin+ specialization course rather than something available for Genin.

I would think that Naruto probably tightened up the physical requirements for graduation for kunoichi, so that we don't have physically weak kunoichi (like Ino and Sakura were at graduation). Hanabi probably went further and moved ikebana and similar "soft" kunoichi arts to a specialization course (maybe "kunoichi infiltration and cover"?).

How about this list of specializations? (pulled largely from my GVAT/NVAT docs in addition to the ones serbii listed)
Spoiler: show
  • Academy Specialization Courses Available
  • Kunoichi Infiltration and Cover (Basic Level Courses)
  • Shinobi Infiltration and Cover (Basic Level Courses) - male version of the above
  • Medic Ninja (101 Level Courses - First Aid stuff)
  • Veterinary Ninja (101 Level Courses)
  • Librarian (Basic Level Courses)
  • Fuinjutsu (101 Level Courses)
  • Strategy (Basic Level Courses)
  • Logistics (Basic Level Courses)
  • Tactics (Basic Level Courses)
  • Stealth and Infilitration (Basic Level Courses)
  • Engineering (101 Level Courses)
  • Genin Specialization Courses Available (in addition to the previous section)
  • Kunoichi Infiltration and Cover (Intermediate Level Courses)
  • Shinobi Infiltration and Cover (Intermediate Level Courses)
  • Medic Ninja (Basic Level Courses - Field Medic certification)
  • Veterinary Ninja (Basic Level Courses)
  • Librarian (Intermediate Level Courses)
  • Fuinjutsu and Sealing Specialist (Basic ("Fuinjutsu Adept" certification) Level Courses)
  • Strategy (Intermediate Level Courses)
  • Logistics (Intermediate Level Courses)
  • Tactics (Intermediate Level Courses)
  • Demolitions (Basic Level Courses)
  • Engineering (Basic Level Courses)
  • Chuunin and Higher Specialization Courses Available (in addition to previous sections)
  • Kunoichi Infiltration and Cover (Advanced)
  • Shinobi Infiltration and Cover (Advanced)
  • Seduction (Basic, Intermediate) - teaching male and female ninja how to seduce
  • Medic Ninja (Intermediate ("Combat Medic"), Advanced ("Medic Ninja"))
  • Veterinary Ninja (Intermediate, Advanced)
  • Administration (Intermediate, Advanced)
  • Courier (Intermediate, Advanced)
  • Engineering (Intermediate, Advanced)
  • Librarian (Advanced)
  • Strategy (Advanced)
  • Logistics (Advanced)
  • Tactics (Advanced)
  • Stealth and Infilitration (Advanced)
  • Demolitions (Intermediate)
  • Ninjutsu/Genjutsu/Taijutsu Specialist (Basic ("Adept" certification), Intermediate ("Specialist"), Advanced ("Master/Mistress")) - Clearing Basic level for Ninjutsu gives Ninjutsu Adept, etc
  • Fuinjutsu and Sealing Specialist (Intermediate ("Specialist"), Advanced ("Master/Mistress"))
  • Stealth and Infiltration (Intermediate, Advanced)
  • Poison Specialist (Basic ("Adept"), Intermediate ("Specialist"), Advanced ("Master/Mistress"))
  • Legal Services (Courses and levels are classified)
  • Internal Revenue (Courses and levels are classified)
  • Messenger Creature Handler (Courses and levels are classified)
  • Military Police (Courses and levels are classified)
  • Shinobi Education (Courses and levels are classified)
  • Shinobi Proctoring (Courses and levels are classified) - Trained to spot cheaters during shinobi exams
    • ANBU (Courses levels are classified for all specializations within it)
    • Operations
    • Assassination
    • Seduction
    • Hunter Nin
    • T&I
    • Cryptography
    • Forgery
    • Spymaster
    • Internal Affairs
    • Demolitions
--

I'm not complaining about the times, because it works out if we do two graduation points and two chuunin exams. Plus it works with having a 6-month long remedial course that syncs with an Academy graduation exam.
I think this would work out quite well. However, You would have to make it possible for multiple specialties to be available to genin, and even academy students. I think that they would want to prevent over-specializing (the Rokudaime should realize the risk if only because of genjutsu). How many specailties could a dedicated academy student train in? 2?
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby serbii » August 3rd, 2009, 11:57 pm

So long as they have the time and do well I don't see why there should be a limit to how many they can do. Though with lots it might be a case-by-case basis and the teachers might get some say into how many people they take.

Also as part of being a jounin/ANBU there should be a class on the other villages, specifically; common jutsus, bloodlimits and how to beat them, what to do if you meet a jinchuuriki, how to guess what village someone is from etc etc.

Now that we've got demons there should probably be a supernatural creatures course, maybe at chuunin level.

Yep, you have to be physically fit to pass the academy.
serbii

Unread postby Phht » August 4th, 2009, 1:25 am

Yeah, there's no hard limit on how many specializations one person can have, but the idea is that there's other things they need to concentrate on more and that's why their list is small. Academy Students need to concentrate more on learning the stuff to be ninja than specializations, so they don't have much selection. I would say that 2, maybe 3, would probably be the suggested max allowed for a single student so the mandatory lessons aren't neglected. But there's nothing saying they couldn't take more if the instructors think the student can handle it.

Genin early on would (hopefully) be learning a lot from their Jounin-sensei, so they don't have a huge selection available. Of course, "career" Genin can get rank-waivers and take courses above their rank limit. This would explain how Kabuto is a top notch medic nin while still being only a "genin" in Konoha. Four years of "trying" to get promoted to Chuunin, plus 6+ months as a genin before the first Exam he enters, and he has 2-3 years he likely was working hard on the medic specialization.

Also, consider how much time and effort needs to be spent to pass through Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced courses for a specialization. The time spent would likely limit one to mastering only 1-2 specialties. This doesn't mean a person can't have a dozen specializations at only Basic or Intermediate level though. This would likely be the skill set for a jack-of-all-trades - lots of knowledge and certification, but not real in-depth coverage of any of it.

Now, I don't have Clan jutsu/techniques as a specialization because there's not really a way to standardize levels of specialization for those. So while it might count as specialization for graduating from the Academy, it won't count if one is going for, say, Special Jounin.

There'll be a mandatory orientation class for all new Chunin that'll include covering IDing common jutsu and bloodlines to a village, and an orientation for all new Jounin that'll include covering more on bloodlines, common (higher level) jutsu, and how to guess what village someone's from. ANBU would likely have a more in-depth version depending on specialization. (Hotaru probably finished the orientation in time for the Below Konoha missions or in the days right after)

I think I'll add a Country specialization. The specialization would cover a specific country and their Hidden village. Basically, they'd be the experts to call in when dealing with the country or village in question. Sending people undercover to Water Country? Get experts for Water Country to help prepare the ninja going undercover. Etc etc.

NVAT has how I've figured Specialization training/certification is handled (Also, where I'm basing much of the stuff I'm using to determine skill levels). Some of it needs to be changed based on this thread. The GVAT has a some of the stuff left off the NVAT. I'll need to update both lists from their current state.

I meant to have a Demonology specialization for Chunin+. I'm thinking of adding Sougujutsu to the G/N/T Specialist list. Possibly Kenjutsu (Sword stuffs?) as well.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby serbii » August 4th, 2009, 1:37 am

I am in awe at your in depthness. We should be giving this to other forums or something.
serbii

Unread postby Jasruv » August 4th, 2009, 1:40 am

You could make the specializations on a credit type system where the students need so many credits to graduate and things like Ikebana would only be 1 credit while more generally useful courses would be worth 4 or 5 credits.

That way if someone really wanted to study flower arranging, they could do so. They'd have to take enough of the heavy duty courses to compensate in order to graduate.

That way the clan kids would have a bit of an edge because they would get taught some of those courses as they grew up(Yamanaka - flower arranging, Akamichi - cooking, Nara and Inuzuka - animal husbandry, etc..) which would have eased the political cost of implementing the changes. A non-clan student could pass by focusing on the core basics which would be worth more credits without being too handicapped by not being clan.
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Phht » August 4th, 2009, 2:40 am

It could be just a "Requirement: Completed courses in One (1) or more Specializations". If someone's lazy, they might take a course like their gender's Infiltration and Cover or Librarian or Administration. Clan kids could just use clan training (Yamanaka mind jutsu, Jyuuken, Akimichi clan jutsu, etc) to count as their specialization course. So technically, Clan kids have an easier ride if they have a unique ability to be trained in.

Besides, what if a student wanted to be an infiltration/undercover ninja? They'd go for the courses that would train them in the area they'd want to work in. Is it fair to make them put in more work to graduate from the Academy because the course they took isn't "generally useful"? The instructors might request that the student take a second course in addition to the first one they picked, depending on the person's core grades, but it wouldn't be fair to make course's count unevenly based on the apparent usefulness of a course.

I think I might make all Academy level courses as 101/Intro level. After all, if the Academy student ends up flunking out of the Academy and eventually the STC, would you really want them to have a basic level of specialization in anything? Well, other than the Infiltration and Cover courses (which teach "soft" arts that a kunoichi or shinobi might need to use as part of their cover) and maybe Administration. In a matter of speaking, the Academy specialization courses would be there to get people interested in specializations to pursue later. Hm. Maybe have 101/Intro level courses for all courses that have Basic available at Genin level, And Genin can take 101/Intro courses for many of the specializations started at Chunin+. Then it would be a useful way to get students/genin to get a peek at specializations that interest them without them needing to actually go for Basic certification in the specialty.

--

I think what happened is that Naruto at some point raised the minimum requirements in some areas to prevent people from getting through with really obvious weak spots (Sakura and physical labor, Naruto and knowledge, etc). Then at some point after Hanabi took over, the Academy system was overhauled to shift the ikebana/etc stuff into optional courses, then she added other choices and made passing one or more specialization courses to the graduation criteria so Konoha Genin are more advanced than other villages' fresh graduates.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Return to “%s” Moritake's