Filler/Gaiden fun

Out of play chat and commentary on the game.

Re: Filler/Gaiden fun

Unread postby MEKristian » October 9th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Well, considering Sodegaura can't really move along too much without it's game master...

I was trying to thing up another OVA, but slow progress is slow... :|
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby spudman » October 9th, 2010, 10:43 pm

I think you did an excellent job running the story, spudman. Although I was a little confused about who was behind all the faux Tora's, that's probably because I started late. Also, are we still uncertain on the canonicity of the story?
The false Tora's were merely feral Toras. They turned out to be demonic, but there wasn't anyone "behind" them. I didn't foreshadow the cover-up done by that chunin, though I did that for a few reasons.

1. Laziness.
2. Played plenty of details by ear.
3. Sometimes you don't get hints of things ahead of time, and you find yourself in a situation you don't expect at all. :secret_laugh:

OVA is semi-canon at best I would say, it doesn't really have a solid place in the timeline that's for sure. Any details that contradict the main storyline of the rp didn't happen.

If we ever get around to the chunin exams we may just see those genin again.

True, MEK. But the "canon" Sodegaura mission wasn't slated to come back up for some time. The AU Sodeguara we can continue at anytime, so we could go back to the main storyline if we want.

I'd rather get back to the canon story, but I might be interested in another OVA.
spudman

Unread postby Phht » October 10th, 2010, 12:01 am

As a note - I'm of the mind that T&D will get slid over to "non-canon" for the moment, and we continue as if those events never took place. Then once Anti comes back for good, we can dust it off, go over it to account for events that've occurred since that mission was started, kinda rewrite/novelize (or just summarize) what has happened so far (this would also work to solve continuity issues of what's already happened story-wise with current continuity), stick it in canon at an appropriate point, then pick up RP from that point as if it had always been canon at that spot.

Only other alternative would be to continue doing OVAs/filler/AU for an indefinite period until Anti returns. Tora's Trouble is listed as "non-canon" on the wiki, though it can be treated like I treat all the anime filler - the events occurred, but it might not have been the specific people we "saw" do it. In the case of anime fillers, this means that the movies - Moon Country events, Snow Country events, etc - took place, but it might not (/ probably wasn't) Team 7 & Co specifically. The exceptions are any arc that involves a country that does not "exist" on our world map unless we wish to place them over in the Demon Lands (and unfortunately, our Demon Lands guy is still internet-less IIRC).

In this case, the Tora Trouble incident might've occurred around approximately where "canon" is sitting but anyone who was canonically "out of town" at the time (specifically anyone on the "Into the Wastes" mission, etc) was replaced by some other Konoha nin that performed the tasks instead. This might work well, since most of the genin had vanished on that ruins mission that never ended and hadn't reappeared yet in a thread. >.>

--

How about this - should we shelve T&D as temporarily non-canon and place Tora Trouble in its "spot" canonically (with a note in the wiki entry for Tora that Shiki/Higure(/any one I missed that has continuity issues) did not actually participate and those jobs were handled by generic-ninja/someone else), shelve T&D but leave Tora as 'non-canon', or some solution that does not involve shelving T&D?

--

MEK, I know you have an upcoming thing that kinda needs T&D to set the stage. I had an idea (that I've since forgotten) about how to handle it without T&D being there, so I'll look over stuff and see if I can't recall the idea.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby bookworm702 » October 10th, 2010, 12:06 am

Personally, I'm of the mind that we should continue as if all ongoing games are canon, shelving all..."postponed" games as non-canon, and then mesh the details of them together if and when necessary.
bookworm702

Unread postby Phht » October 10th, 2010, 12:57 am

Also, as a note - Ruins of Victorious Souls has been listed in the wiki as complete now. Ends July 29th, so if we stick Tora Trouble in T&D's spot, the four genin will be in village around Aug 1 for it.

I wonder... MEK, should we make Tora canon and stick in it that spot, then mission start would be Aug 1ish (mission handed out) and mission end around Aug 8-9. Then the ItW team would return Aug 7-8... AHAHAHA. Since Shiki and Higure get back before the conclusion of Tora Trouble, there's actually no continuity issue to be dealt with! In any case, I HAVE AN IDEA! For you. Have to look over Tora to clarify some things, consider some stuff, and I'll PM you on it. Might actually be able to spawn a slightly related mission too.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby MEKristian » October 10th, 2010, 12:59 am

Um... Go nuts? If you've got something, I'm all ears... I suck at this timeline stuff anyways...
MEKristian

Unread postby spudman » October 10th, 2010, 1:03 am

As a note - I'm of the mind that T&D will get slid over to "non-canon" for the moment, and we continue as if those events never took place. Then once Anti comes back for good, we can dust it off, go over it to account for events that've occurred since that mission was started, kinda rewrite/novelize (or just summarize) what has happened so far (this would also work to solve continuity issues of what's already happened story-wise with current continuity), stick it in canon at an appropriate point, then pick up RP from that point as if it had always been canon at that spot.

Are we sure Anti will come back at all? Even if he comes back to the forums, that's no guarantee that he'll participate in the game. Last time he showed up for a bit I sent him a pm and he indicated he kind of lost interest in Naruto.

I agree the best solution is to shelve T&D as non-canon. Tora Trouble could be put in its place...and phht discovered there's no conflict with the characters timeline-wise, yay.

No idea what it is, but I am interested in what MEK had in mind that was possibly linked with T&D. Hope you've found a solution for that (since T&D will likely be non-canon now), phht.
spudman

Unread postby Phht » October 10th, 2010, 2:27 am

Actually, my guy's still non-canon, but he can just be replaced by a generic medic ninja. He showed up and did stuff on Aug 2 (if Aug 1 was mission receiving day), and the team won't be back until early Aug 8. Shiki is okay continuity-wise, since I think he only showed up the final day(?) which would be Aug 8 ("a week later" is +6 days) or Aug 9 ("a week later" is +7 days), with the closing scene being the following day (Aug 9 or 10).

--

Well, I can be optimistic about his return (and picking up the RP again).

And while we're on the topic of future plans, all people with mod/admin status on the wiki (currently MEK, spud, serbii... me), check GM threads section on the wiki (located in the System tab of the side bar when logged in) and pitch in on Chunin Exam thoughts and plans. It's getting to be that time of the year in RP (only about a month and a half away RP time-wise) and we ought to get something figured out for it before the time line actually gets that far. :panic:
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby MEKristian » October 10th, 2010, 10:04 pm

We' don't have much in the way of Genin, really. Also, I'm inherently lazy, so I may or may not end up helping out devising it.

Think I've go somewhere to start from, but now I have to pull players. So players, be pulled (or something)!
MEKristian

Unread postby bookworm702 » October 10th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Well, Ichigo will want a go. and I'm Ushio would like to give it a shot. And there's, um...well, that's all I know of.
bookworm702

Unread postby MEKristian » October 10th, 2010, 10:36 pm

Yeah... Team 4's not coming. That would be suicidal.
MEKristian

Unread postby Phht » October 10th, 2010, 11:38 pm

Having originally helped MEK come up with the back story events that lead up to his mission, I can firmly say that it'd be B-rank, or more likely A-rank in nature. Actually, make it S-rank-ish, now that I think about it. The mission goal is that bad.

Okay, so every can take a break from RPing so to speak (as if any of us were working hard on it anyhow) for a couple days. I'll toss up something Tuesday or Wednesday (barring unforeseen complications) to "re-start" main canon flow unless Anti appears (like a ninja!) and starts rolling on T&D again or someone comes up with a good reason not to retcon T&D out. The something tossed up will set up for MEK's thing and place 'current day' as Aug 10. And then we can get rolling again!
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby serbii » October 11th, 2010, 4:55 am

Yeah... Team 4's not coming. That would be suicidal.
Time Skip :secret_laugh:

Yeah, I could run the Sodegaura continuation, if not the AU quest.
Ahaha, oh things snowball so very much.
BUT NQ is more than enough work and takes more thinking than the RPs ever did, so I'm not going to.
If someone organises another genin/chuunin mission I'll join.

ewuvi mentioned once that both Kuroda siblings were slated to die at the end of Dragon and Tiger.
Pity, I liked that quest.
serbii

Unread postby spudman » October 12th, 2010, 1:32 am

I think Nishiyori and/or Tsukiko would be available for a mission, MEK.

If we need a way to keep the genin busy we could come up with something for them too.

The start of training (Hotaru can help too!) for the exams, or maybe some kind of diplomatic mission (they wouldn't be doing the actual diplomacy, though).
spudman

Unread postby Phht » October 12th, 2010, 1:39 am

Time line and related mission entries (Into the Wastes, Tora Trouble) (and related GM threads) have been updated to fit new canon. As I'm supposed to be waking up in 5.5ish hours, I probably won't be putting up the kick-off post (that'll confirm the day as Aug 10 when the Fire Lady left the village with her demonspawn cat) tonight. However, there is a time line entry under the RP missions tab that relates to what the post will be covering.

--

serbii, T&D was awesome, so it's sad that it'll be non-canon.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby spudman » October 12th, 2010, 3:35 am

Hey MEK, since T&D is non-canon did that post of yours with little Akane Namikaze happen? The hubub distracting the adults could have been the demon cats and/or the prison break instead of a "foreign person", I guess. Is there a vision you had in mind for Akane to tell Tsukiko?
spudman

Unread postby MEKristian » October 12th, 2010, 11:03 am

yes; and since it ties in to the upcoming mission, it's canon. So now Akane has to go searching for "Tsuki-nee-chan".
MEKristian

Unread postby spudman » October 12th, 2010, 10:04 pm

:lol: Heh, I have to think a bit about what Nishiyori might think or how he'd react to Akane's innocent words.
spudman

Return to “%s” Moritake's