Tanzaku Gai Bandit Removal

Mission transcripts and reports. (Roleplaying threads here)

Re: Tanzaku Gai Bandit Removal

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 2nd, 2009, 11:03 am

I don't like burying the seal. I don't know what kind of demon's being summoned, so getting a face full of falling rocks may just piss it off, and we wouldn't have any of the seal's protections between it and us, the guys who just dumped a bunch of rocks on it. If it survives that, I don't feel like fighting it. And I doubt it'll be in much of a negotiating mood at that point.

If we leave the cliff and the area around the seal out of the explosion, we don't give them anywhere to run except for around the seal. If we do that, any survivors will be right around the area we don't want them defending. Any other survivors will run right there too. Again, not what we want.

The dead man's switch shouldn't go off if he's unconscious. If it did, he'd never be able to sleep. I do like the comatose idea though. Let's use that.

Alright, we'll use the explosive tags to blow up the camp, leaving a hole where the seal is. Before we set them off, use whatever genjutsu you think is appropriate to get as many people away from the seal as possible. Leave the robed guy where he is. After the tags blow, comatose the summoner. Whatever survivors are left, I'll deal with them.

And look on the bright side. Dealing with demon summoners pays a lot better than getting rid of bandits. Let's start setting the tags.
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Phht » June 4th, 2009, 1:13 am

"We could collapse more rock on it then? I've got a lot of bunker busters." Yuuhi sounded somewhat hopeful before glancing across the village. "Okay, we set the notes. You set traps at the exit points. Maybe some outward directional traps around the seal area just in case. I'll hit the camp with a nasty fear-based genjutsu. Followed by depriving robe guy of his blood and oxygen until he passes out. Hopefully he doesn't activate the seal in panic before he collapses."

He took a second to gauge and reconfirm his estimates with a nod. "I'll need to get to him pretty quick after he goes down, to make sure I didn't hold it too long and killed him." He grinned and shrugged. "The genjutsu was intended to quietly kill a guy while letting it look more like natural causes, not knock them out."
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 4th, 2009, 1:52 am

Maybe some outward directional traps around the seal area just in case.
I always have a just in case. It's why I've lived so long with so few injuries.

*We seed the village with the explosives and traps, and set up on the roof of the building closest to the seal.*

Okay, here goes.

*The tags blow, sending fire and earth skyward, incinerating bandits in the blast. A twenty foot radius around the seal is kept free from the explosion. In addition to the robed guy and the seal, there's eight bandits that survived the blast, singed and coughing but alive and armed. They surround the robed guy. I activate my fear genjutsu and motion for Yuuhi to hit the robed guy.*

Just make sure your genjutsu doesn't kill him.

*My fear genjutsu latches onto the bandits and their faces twist in shock and terror. The one who deals with it the best spins around, panicked.*

Bandit: It's him! He's betrayed us like I said he would!

*The bandit raises his club and brings it down on the robed guy's neck, snapping it instantly and killing the summoner.*

Me: Well crisp my biscuits. That was not in the plan.

*I jump down and dash for the seal, dropping my genjutsu as I move. I lash out with two shuriken and catch a pair of bandits in the throat.*

Keep them off me! I'll try to do something! *mutters* Don't know what, but something...
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Phht » June 4th, 2009, 2:16 am

Higure stands there gaping a moment. "... Well, fuck."

Seeing his partner dive into the midst of the opponents, he shifts his Kyuushi no Jutsu [Sudden Death Technique] target to the idiot that killed robed guy before landing Magen: Narakumi no Jutsu [Hell Viewing Technique] on two of the bandits in rapid succession. The other three bandits start to run before one loses his sense of balance and another loses his sight. The final bandit nearly makes it to the demolished area when a tree grows around him. Three kunai swipes later, and Higure is heading back towards the seal and remaining two bandits near it.

(Okay, 8 bandits. You dropped 2 with shuriken, I bagged three, got one suffocating on the ground, and two seeing their worse fears.)
Phht

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 4th, 2009, 11:24 am

Try not to kill them just yet, if you can. We may need some live sacrifices.

*Despite my efforts, the seal works beyond my will and begins to glow.*

Yeah, we're almost definitely going to need those guys as sacrifices.

*The seal works as it was designed, and I work my chakra into the part of the seal that keeps the inside separated from the rest of the world. A burst of smoke comes from inside the seal, and as it clears, we get a look at the demon. Eight foot tall, and half as wide, it's a boar demon. Built like a concrete wall, the demon is a solid slab of thick muscle. It's bipedal, and it's beady eyes show intelligence. A pair of yellowed tusks are set on either side of it's snout, pointed but not sharp. It's wearing a pair of tattered pants but nothing on it's top half.*

Demon: Who are you? Why are you binding me? I will grind your bones into meal if you don't release me right now.

Me: Not unless we get your word that my teammate and I have free passage. I wasn't the one who summoned you here, I'm just maintaining the seal to protect my own life. You can have those guys and whatever you find in this camp, if you promise to leave.

Demon: No. Release me, and I promise your end will be short.

Me: I can't let you do that. See, if you kill us, our village will investigate our deaths, and that means they'll end up coming after you. Even if you kill us, I doubt you will be able to fight off an entire village.

Demon: What village?

Me: Konoha, the Village Hidden in the Leaves.

Demon: The village the Dogs are negotiating with?

Me: Yes...

*The Demon rages and slams against the invisible wall set by the seal. The sudden surge of energy flows down the connection and snaps against my chakra. The backlash sends me flying backwards and I twist to avoid landing in the burning wreckage of a building. The seal falls and the demon is free.*

MrRigger2

Unread postby Phht » June 5th, 2009, 1:17 am

Nodding at the request, Higure cleaned his kunai off on the lead corpse's clothes while the seal was fiddled with. He was starting to slide it back into his pouch when the seal came to life. Wary, he leaped back and started unsealing two more 12-tag stacks of bunker busters. Finishing that, he places the storage scroll away and places the tags in easy access locations while quietly letting the other ninja negotiate. At the failing of the seal, he moves nearer to his partner and cuts all genjutsu he still had in use.

"Okay, Plan A failed. Does this mean we switch to Plan B wherein we blow everything up including that seal?" He glanced at his partner's condition. "Need a bandage or soldier pill?"
Phht

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 5th, 2009, 1:35 am

Yeah, plan B is now in effect. And if you can buy me two minutes, I should be able to reverse that seal.

*I look up and notice the boar demon starting to charge. Strength appears to be the demon's strong suit, not speed.*

Not that he's going to give us that kind of time. *I shake my arms and quick-summoned equipment seems to fall out of the sleeves of my trench coat. I start to race backward into the still burning camp, putting distance between me and the demon.* See if genjutsu works on this guy, it'll go down easier if it does. But I've heard it both ways, where demons can shake of genjutsu like nothing and fall to it easier than a fresh genin.

*The demon keeps charging, and a tripwire sends a score of kunai blazing towards its chest. The kunai hit true, but only cause some superficial cuts and fall away.*

Well that's not promising.

(As for the genjutsu question, I'd make it a partial immunity. As it's a demon, you can do the fun things with cutting off circulatory systems or major organs, but you can misdirect him all day long and play merry hell with his senses. I just don't want this guy to go down too soon. Especially not after we hyped him up so much.)

MrRigger2

Unread postby Phht » June 11th, 2009, 3:05 am

(Sorry this took so long. I was trying to figure out how to actually manage the task, given my stellar - but mostly unusable - genjutsu skill and my horrendously bad ninjutsu skill. Luckily, my tools skill and secondary specialization get to come into play! I had a plan for the post, forgot it, remembered it, and forgot it again. So I'm gonna write this now before I forget it again.

I'm treating genjutsu versus demons as that their nervous systems aren't the same as ours - close, but not the same - so genjutsu feels less real to some of them because we might not know that a certain demon sees everything in shades of orange, for instance. And that demons have a more potent energy source than our chakra, so it's easier for them to break genjutsus.)

Scattering in a different direction from his teammate and landed on the edge of a roof that hadn't yet caught fire. Watching the kunai trap bounce off the demon, he mused, "Okay, got to distract a physically resistant demon from squishing teammate trying to send it home. I hope it isn't screwy nervous system that I can't land genjutsu on. Kyuushi no Jutsu!"

The boar demon froze as it turned to line up for another charge on its original target. Seconds later, it shrugged off the genjutsu and swung angrily towards the other ninja of the pair. A shunshin to the walls of the encampment ruins prevented Yuuhi from getting tossed through the air as the building remains he'd been standing on were demolished in a charge.

"Crap. Got to distract a demon and my specialty is shrugged off like a pail of water. No useful ninjutsu abilities - note to self: ask sensei if I can get a summon contract after this - and nearly all my tools are useless in direct combat. ... I do have piles of exploding tags though. So j-" A log and the wall section shattered under the unexpected strike of the demon, followed a few moments later by a pair of earth shattering explosions from the log remains. In the woods, "Guess I have to run like crazy while liberally destroying the landscape to hold its attention. And hope I don't get killed."

He dropped some exploding tags traps on the area and shunshin away as the demon, now quite angry, demolished the tree and surrounding trees with a piece of wall rubble. An explosion once more rocked the area. Higure was racing through the trees to get enough distance to set the next trap. Estimating he had found the range, he slowed down and suddenly found his path changed as he slammed through several branches and bounced off a few trees. Rolling to a halt, he saw the boar demon approaching that should've been quite further back. The demon reached down to grab him, just to hear over a dozen sizzling sounds in the general area start, the ninja to disappear in a poof of smoke, and a rather large section of forest vanished in a ball of fire.

Minutes later Yuuhi stumbled out of the ruins towards the seal. Looking exhausted and clutching the side of his body the demon slammed into him on, he came to a stop by the seal. Smaller explosions started appearing approaching the encampment and seal. "Please tell me you're ready. Those smaller explosions are the demon plowing through traps to get here and render me into paste, and I've got less than a quarter my reserves left. And I'm pretty sure these ribs are at least cracked. Thing hits like a Haruno targeting a pervert."

(I think would be a rough time line of events: 0:03 - hit demon with Sudden Death genjutsu, 0:05 - demon shrugs it off, 0:10 - building destroyed, 0:18 - wall section demolished, 0:39 - trees destroyed, 0:54 - blindsided while running, 1:01 - Boom, 3:11 - Yuuhi gets back to the seal. Probably 60-90 seconds until the demon gets back to the seal at best.)
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 11th, 2009, 11:49 am

I'm treating genjutsu versus demons as that their nervous systems aren't the same as ours - close, but not the same - so genjutsu feels less real to some of them because we might not know that a certain demon sees everything in shades of orange, for instance. And that demons have a more potent energy source than our chakra, so it's easier for them to break genjutsus.)
(That's... almost the exact same theory that I had and couldn't express in words in my last posts. Wow. Good to see we're on the same page.)
Minutes later Yuuhi stumbled out of the ruins towards the seal. Looking exhausted and clutching the side of his body the demon slammed into him on, he came to a stop by the seal. Smaller explosions started appearing approaching the encampment and seal. "Please tell me you're ready. Those smaller explosions are the demon plowing through traps to get here and render me into paste, and I've got less than a quarter my reserves left. And I'm pretty sure these ribs are at least cracked. Thing hits like a Haruno targeting a pervert."
"I almost have it. I had a couple mud clones go fix up a few halfway decent traps while I worked on this thing," I answer.

*The main wall surrounding the camp exploded inward as the boar demon smashed it in. A preset seal glows as a purple cloud belches forth.*

"Mild contact neurotoxin, mixed with glass dust. Even if the poison doesn't work on the different physiology, glass dust in the eyes will piss anyone off," I explain as I watch the results of my work.

*The thick smoke clears slowly, and the boar demon stumbles out, slightly disoriented, but not convulsing on the ground foaming at the mouth like a human would have been. It knocks down a burning hut in anger, and rushes towards the center of the camp again.

Kunai and shuriken pelted the demon as it ran, mostly serving as only an annoyance, but also kept the demon from hitting his stride.

His run slowes as the earth grows sticky and soft, grabbing at the demon's feet. The earth finally wins the fight and swallows the demon whole.*

"It's like the basic traveling underground technique that every genin learns, but without the chakra barrier that keeps the user safe. He's ten feet under, with nothing even resembling an air supply."

*The earth shakes and groans as the boar demon erupts from the ground. It bares its teeth in what seems to be a mocking smile.*

"Damn," I curse, "I thought that one would have worked."

"Your binds will not hold me, human," the demon swears. "I will tear your still beating heart from your chest and give it to my son as a play toy."

*My hands twist into a focusing seal, and a cylindrical fire-orange barrier snaps into being around the demon.*

"I wouldn't move if I were you, the walls of that barrier will incinerate anything that touches them."

The demon snarls. "Your pathetic walls will not contain me. This spiritual energy is nothing compared to what I have seen."

*The demon focuses its foreign energy and after a moment, the fire-orange barrier falls, winking out of existence like it was never there.*

"Don't worry, there's more," I say at my partner's distressed glance.

*Hundreds of sheets of paper seem to fall from the sky, attracted to the demon. The paper stuck to the demon's flesh, covering his body completely. Even after it was completely mummified in the paper, more layers were added. Finally, the paper stopped and the demon lay bound at our feet.*

"I wouldn't try struggling if I were you. You're got twenty layers of paper over every inch of your body, and every sheet is as strong as a four inch steel plate."

*I channel chakra to my legs and kick the demon over to the seal. It feels like moving a mountain, and I nearly fail to move the demon. I drag one of the few surviving bandits over to the seal and slice his throat, letting his life blood cover the delicate lines of the seal. I chant in a nearly unpronounceable language and after a full minute, the seal crackles and sparks, sending the boar demon back to where it came from.*

"Kill those guys if they're still alive," I tell Higure as I fall back, exhausted and in pain. "Ow. I really wish I hadn't had to do such a hack job on that seal. I'm not as good with Juin Jutsu as I am with standard seals, and that hurt. Seriously, that was painful."

*I push myself up and wobble unsteadily.* "You know what? Once we get paid, I'm going to go find the best brothel in town, and buy myself the full works package. Bath and everything. I think this mission deserves it. Come on, let's get back to Tanzaku Gai."

(How much further do you want to take this mission? Do you want to do our antics during the festival? Or do you want to do like one of my original ideas was, and have one of us piss off the local crime family? If we keep going, I may need a day or two to come up with a storyline, unless you have something planned.)

MrRigger2

Unread postby Phht » June 14th, 2009, 2:30 pm

Higure rested and recovered his chakra as much as he could while watching the demon start smashing through the last of the traps, and grinned at seeing a paper cocooned demon get deported from this plain of existence. Hearing the comment on the bandits, he nodded, walked over, and sunk a kunai into the last surviving bandit. "At least you'll get to see the town. I'm stuck going to hospital to have my ribs checked."

Cleaning the kunai off on the bandit's clothes and storing it, Yuuhi trudged over to his partner while checking that his vest was doing a good job of keeping his ribs in place. The two started towards town.

"So, how long is this festival supposed to be again?"

(That sounds like it could be a typical action movie/show fade out ending there, and I wasn't trying for it. Heh. I would say skip trying to do a plot line during the festival. I'd say just do a couple posts to cover what we did at the festival and call it good.)
Phht

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 14th, 2009, 6:00 pm

(Sounds good to me.)

"I think it's supposed to be a week or so, but our mission only gave us a few days, so we won't be able to stay until the end of it. Unless you're planning on sending a request for mission extension, that is."

I sabotage the seal completely before covering it earth and rock. I start trudging along next to Higure. "Let's go get paid."

MrRigger2

Unread postby Phht » June 19th, 2009, 12:46 am

The two trudge back through the woods to the city.

"Hello, civilization. I'm going to go to the hospital. I'll probably still be there when you're done with the client. I hope nothing's broken. Probably would force me off active mission list for a couple weeks." With a wave, he separated and headed to the hospital. Entering, he walked up to the desk.

"Please state the reason for your visit today."

"Blindsided by a charging boar demon while running at high speed through the treetops in the forest and bounced uncontrolled off a few trees before tumbling to a stop on the ground. Pretty sure I bruised, cracked, and/or broke some ribs in that, especially on my left side."

The nurse was silent in surprise momentarily before she pulled herself together and gestured down a hallway. "This way, please."

(I need to figure out what damage was done. I wonder if there's a RPG torso injury random table I could use....)
Phht

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 19th, 2009, 1:06 pm

I break off and make my way to Yamada's office. The secretary makes me wait for half an hour, and I read a few year old magazines.

"He will see you now." She holds the door for me and I walk in. Yamada is filing a form away in his desk.

"Ah, Shinobi-san. You've completed the mission, I trust?"

I nod. "Yes, though there were some... complications."

His face darkened. "Complications?" he prompted.

"Your security force's information wasn't quite correct. While at first glance, they did appear to be nothing more than a regular bandit camp, they had more involved plan. They intended to summon a demon to attack your town. We destroyed the camp and banished the demon they summoned."

"Is that so? I suppose you want extra payment."

"No extra. Just the fee for the mission we did. It's no one's fault that what was required wasn't what was expected. As it is, I'm going to waive the fee for an mission rank increase."

I started leaking a little killing intent into the air. Not enough for it to be overtly noticeable, even to a civilian, just enough to make him sweat.

"I suppose that's fair."

"As my teammate is currently at the hospital, being treated for broken ribs, I'd say it's more than fair. And given that my teammate and I saved your festival from being ravaged by a boar demon, and that if I wanted, I could find enough extra charges to quadruple the mission cost, I'd say that paying for the A-Rank is in your best interest."

Yamada gulped. "Very fair indeed." He pulled a bank ledger out of a drawer and wrote a slip. "That note will transfer the funds to Konoha's account at any bank in my village."

I nod and take my leave. "Remember Konoha should you ever need assistance in the future."

MrRigger2

Unread postby Phht » June 20th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Higure sat on the bed checking his supplies and making notes on what he needed to replace. So far his list consisted of 20 A-rank explosive tags. He winced at the figure.

"Ribs hurting?"

Higure looked up and noted the doctor entering the room. "Wouldn't know. I applied a genjutsu to myself to make my mind ignore the pain signals for the moment. It's my wallet that's made me wince. I used twenty really powerful exploding tags, and those things aren't cheap. So, what's the verdict?"

The doctor placed an x-ray up on a wall-mounted light table and flipped the light on, displaying the x-ray. "Well, considering how you say you got the injuries, you aren't too bad off. Unfortunately, that's still fairly bad. Your seventh and eighth ribs on the left side were fractured. Your right side fared better with no visible damage. The lack of visible damage doesn't preclude chance the ribs weren't bruised, so you'll need to take it easy until your left side heals, just to be safe."

"There goes active duty for a few weeks." He paused and considered travel time back to Konoha. "And nearly the entire festival."

"There's not much that can be done. Your jacket actually handles it pretty well to prevent further damage if you don't stress the bones too much. Other than that," the doctor shrugged.

"Alright. Thanks." He sighed and got the medical records and x-ray from the doctor. Easing himself upright and collecting his stuff, he bid farewell and headed out. Yuuhi stopped to pay the hospital bill before heading out and slowly moving in the direction of the camp.
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 21st, 2009, 7:48 pm

I wander the festival for a little bit, playing some of the games, and snacking on overpriced treats. I spot a pickpocket working the crowd as I sip on a sweet wine, and I shake my head. I down the rest of the wine and slip onto the crowded street. I sneak over to the pickpocket and liberate his take. I move away, planting the purses back on their owners, the ones I saw at least. Having done my good deed for the day, I move off, enjoying more of the festival.

As night falls, I make my way back to the camp and collapse on my quickly summoned bedroll.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Phht » July 6th, 2009, 2:41 am

(Sorry I haven't done anything yet. Couldn't find anything to write or focus on it long enough to figure something out. Also, Higure was such a slacker, milking his injury to get out of doing work.)

Higure plodded his way through the street, deep in thought. He'd been quite secure in his abilities and training. Sure, his taijutsu was weak, but his genjutsu was some of the best - people had commented he was at least as talented as his clan elder Kurenai had been during her service as a ninja - and that had easily compensated for the weakness in hand to hand combat. Between that and his specialization in demolitions, he had never run into insurmountable opponents. Heck, he had even taken down a few demons with teams over the years.

He sighed and stopped to get a drink and snack before continuing. Today, well, today had been an eye-opener. Didn't have the knowledge to mess with the seal, so had been stuck distracting a demon whose strengths in defense had matched his own strengths in offense. His ribs attested to how well that had worked out. Nodding to a gate guard distractedly, he exited the city and headed towards camp lost in thought. Arriving at camp, he waved at his partner. Shaking himself out of thought, he spoke up. "Nothing broken. Some cracked ribs, likely a bunch of bruised ones on top of that. I'm going to crawl into my tent now and drop the pain-blocking genjutsu."

Matching his action to his words, he climbed into his tent, found a comfortable spot, and removed the genjutsu. Wincing at the pain, he realized something. "Oh fuck! Kurenai-sama's going to get a chance to tell me she told me so about not pushing myself in my weak areas! Damnit!"
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Phht

Unread postby MrRigger2 » July 12th, 2009, 11:13 pm

(Yeah, I don't really know how to wrap this up. Unless you have something that you have planned for anything to happen during the festival, I say that we end the mission. I just don't know how to go about doing that.)

MrRigger2

Unread postby Phht » July 15th, 2009, 10:50 pm

(I had no plans for the festival, being injured and all. As for closing things, I dunno. We could just end the thread here - really, I can see my last post as the "episode" end point -, and imply the travel time back to Konoha before showing up at the Tower or whatever rather than explicitly do a post just to travel back to the village and head for the Tower. Unless they have a run in with something on the way back.)
Phht

Unread postby MrRigger2 » July 15th, 2009, 11:06 pm

(Sounds good to me. Let's just consider the mission ended with no further problems and we went back to the Tower. Sweetness.)

MrRigger2

Return to “%s” Mission Central