Changes to Scholomance

Changes to Scholomance

Unread postby SLAMU » October 19th, 2012, 4:36 pm

I am interested in hearing suggestions, comments, concerns and (as ever) accolades regarding Scholomance. Logical inconsistencies being pointed out, critiques about how I run the game, requests that certain elements be included, etc.

I had some ideas several of which seemed to be unpopular, and thus will likely not make it into any updates, but some areas that I think could use some improvement might include

-the economy. It's a school, the focus shouldn't be on making ends meet. I propose the 'tokens' system, one token equals one meal in the cafeteria, you get three tokens a day. If you aren't hungry (or don't need to eat anymore), you can save these up and sell them to those who find they need to eat more, have dependents that don't receive tokens ("you just had to summon a viking bodyguard, didn't you?") or just like to hit the dessert bar (the chocolate mousse is simply sinful here), the tokens are the single common denominator for the local economy, letting you buy basic mitigators or negotiate for services. That said, more...uncommon mitigation would probably not be for sale, or expensive enough that other forms of compensation might be called for.

-Some sort of map, possibly. While yes, there are several rooms and hallways that move around, others are more sedentary sessile. Something like that should help keep everyone on the same page, but could also easily cause complications, notably of the 'so much work!' variety totally not an attempt to keep people from calling me out when I make things up whole cloth, noooo...

-Fill out what goes on in class. I should do it, I'm just not sure what I'd put in there, beyond occasionally saying something like 'today prof. Sinestra had you doing star charts...'

-consistency in a variety of forms.

Any other thoughts, suggestions, snide comments or unkind remarks you'd like to make?
SLAMU

Re: Changes to Scholomance

Unread postby serbii » October 19th, 2012, 4:43 pm

You know that timeline we keep updated for you and you never, ever look at and now Clara is months ahead and Kirana is months behind....?
Just, note it once in a while and try to keep us together sort of. Don't need to put in lots of effort but just... more.
serbii

Unread postby ewuvi » October 19th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Less of the LET'S BE AWESOME and more of the grimdark we were promised?
ewuvi

Unread postby serbii » October 19th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Related: I get we're allowed to do anything, but there should still be a limit the older years have more notable skills over us. Should take time to master complex things just like in real life.
serbii

Unread postby Arganaut » October 19th, 2012, 5:35 pm

While I'm not gung-ho about the grimdark (except maybe a bit more generally), I support the above stuff suggested by serbii.
Arganaut

Unread postby gman391 » October 19th, 2012, 6:20 pm

I'd like perhaps a bit more limitations of what we can do. While the magic system in theory allows us to do pretty much anything what I think should be doable in practice is a bit less.

I'd also like maybe less 'No Selling' of physical attacks. But that's just personal preference. Overall though I'd just like more coherence. While I get that others might want grim dark, I'm actually fine with the levels it's at.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby SLAMU » October 21st, 2012, 6:51 pm

Alright, would you rather I start saying 'no' more often to 'I try to shoot for the moon', or would you prefer I make magic more dangerous the more powerful it is? (or, more likely, a combination of both)

I should probably also try to throw some more elements into the social field, rather than neatly tying so much of it together.
SLAMU

Unread postby gman391 » October 21st, 2012, 11:56 pm

I'd like no and more dangerous, unintended tragic (Or hilarious) consequences.
More social things might be nice. Maybe throw in mandatory tea with the Headmaster.
Who of course trolls everyone.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » November 5th, 2012, 7:43 am

Tokens, maps, expanding on what goes on in class, and general consistency all sound like awesome things.

You know who is behind? Lily. Kirana fell behind partly because I keep trying to talk to Lily. I agree with Serbii, keeping us all somewhat more even timewise would be nice.

I think the magic is fine as it is, but throwing in some more of the chance/risk elements that the system being visible to everyone cuts down on might be a good move.

I think there is enough grimdark as it is, personally.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby SLAMU » November 8th, 2012, 10:50 pm

So, any suggestions on what might risk perils of the warp magical hilarity? Right now it's a tossup between "so long as students don't expose themselves to risk and mitigate like good little children there's nothing to worry about" and "every time someone tries to use powahz". I would like to hear the input of the consensus on this before I continue being go mad with power with this sort of thing.
SLAMU

Unread postby gman391 » November 8th, 2012, 11:40 pm

Well unintended consequences would be a good thing but they have to be logical consequences.
I also think the more mana you use the higher chance of it just fizzling might be a good idea or not working as strictly intended.
Overall I think that spells you take the time to prepare and make effort for should be relatively safe but spot spells are more likely to have things happen. Only problem is that this leads to even more Item Grabbing
*shrugs* nothing's perfect.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » November 10th, 2012, 12:46 am

I do not really agree with Gman, I like the idea that as long as you take the time to test things properly and take appropriate safety precautions, you do not have to worry about things going too horribly wrong. Of course, taking appropriate safety precautions is harder than it sounds, and testing things properly is not always something one has the time for.
I think that if you put a lot of power into something, it becomes less likely to fizzle completely - all that magic is going to do something, if not necessarily everything you wanted. I think unintended consequences should only come in if either you failed to think through the logical consequences of exactly what you just did (like, say, if you suddenly condense all the water vapor in the air and then the air becomes dry - it is simply the natural result of the spell effect. The spell did exactly what you said, you just did not necessarily realize everything that would result) or you used the wrong amount of power (too much and the spell does more than you want, too little and it does less), but as Gman said, the latter should be a logical extension of the spell's intended effect.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby gman391 » November 10th, 2012, 12:53 am

To clarify when I mean Spot spells should have things happen, I mean more unintended effects.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby serbii » November 10th, 2012, 5:37 am

Condense water from air into jar unintended consequence: draw water from self.
serbii

Return to “%s” World Discussion