KH: Visions of Destiny 2

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Re: KH: Visions of Destiny 2

Unread postby Wraith5 » April 13th, 2016, 11:40 pm

We're a kid. Kids poke things. Let's poke things. :D
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby Storyteller » April 14th, 2016, 4:22 am

Out of Game invistext:
Spoiler: show
In the places where the glass has faded away, you can clearly see another image. Instead of stained glass formed into a picture, you see some kind of messy colored pastel markings on paper, showing a feminine, blue figure holding a bundle of colors in one hand. Their other hand is clenched in the hand of the shorter figure next to them, colored mostly in black and white, with a friendly smile and huge circles above its head. This figure holds a strange glittering star in their free hand.
For a split second, the image goes completely dark, and a figure with a red scarf and one eye dominates the image. Another shard of the stained glass fades.
There are more chains in this place, all as taut as is possible. They strain against an invisible force.
We are on a timer. And given that we don't have much information about what has changed in BBS, we may not want to lose too much here.
Storyteller

Unread postby JAGwin » April 14th, 2016, 9:58 pm

oog:
James' Reaction
Either the video/link/whatever is missing, or there's something wrong with my Wii U. Considering how uncooperative it's being, probably the latter.

ig: I'd rather fix the pedestal before we do anything else.
JAGwin

Location: My Secret Lab... and even I'M not entirely sure where that is.

Unread postby Wraith5 » April 14th, 2016, 11:19 pm

Actually, thinking about it, yeah. Let's fix the pedestal. Also, that link works fine for me.
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
Wraith5

Unread postby gamebrain89 » April 15th, 2016, 2:31 pm

I'm voting for checking the figures out first. It didn't take long to repair the last one, and we don't know if they might stop us from doing the same here or not.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby JamestheFox » April 16th, 2016, 9:57 pm

oog: Wow man, viewing through the Wii U? Why not a computer of some sort? But yeah, it's a Youtube vid. I'm guessing the Wii U browser doesn't play nice with embedded Youtube vids. Just search for Ganondorf Laugh on Youtube. You're looking for the Wind Waker vid.

ig:
Day ??
Kairi's Heart
Time - ???

You hop down to the pedestal, and walk over to one of the sleeping figures. Even up close, they look completely featureless - generically average in all respects. You poke one, and it doesn't move an inch. Its pose reminds you of the sleeping Future-Kairi you saw in the Reaper's Game.

You hum in annoyance, and try shaking the figure. Suddenly, one of the taut chains shines, engulfing you in its light.

You find yourself in a world of chalk drawings for a few seconds, with the scene changing constantly.

A small red figure gesturing next to a hunched over, purple and grey figure. The world is colorful, and strangely blocky.

The red figure on a curved brown line with green and yellow at one end, with two other figures - one a silver-and-yellow figure, one a brown-and-red figure. Together they watch the changing reds and yellows that cover the world.

The red figure hiding behind the two figures you saw on the pedestal, cornered by strange black zigzags, in the oddly blocky world.

The red figure hiding behind the silver-and-yellow figure and a brown-and-red figure, as black spots surround them. The world is blocky, in a strange way.

A red blurry mess in complete blackness, balled up with a terrible greyness in spots- "NO!"

The chalk world shatters, and you are knocked off your feet. The chain that shined before is vibrating, like a taut string plucked at by a finger.

The sleeping, anonymous figures remain sleeping and anonymous.

⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘χ⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘⫘

Music:
KH3D - My Heart's Descent

Characters:
KHVD Main Party Sheet
KHVD Main Party Growth Chart
Link Shards
Gummi Ship
KHVD Minor Party Members Sheet
Shop Sheet
Jiminy's Journal
Ansem Reports
Sora's Vision History
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.
JamestheFox

Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 16th, 2016, 10:29 pm

Hmm, that's weird. I wish we could help these figures, but Kairi's more important. Fix the platform, see if that helps the figures at all.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Wraith5 » April 17th, 2016, 12:22 am

Agreed.
Wraith5

Unread postby JAGwin » April 17th, 2016, 1:00 am

oog:
oog: Wow man, viewing through the Wii U? Why not a computer of some sort? But yeah, it's a Youtube vid. I'm guessing the Wii U browser doesn't play nice with embedded Youtube vids.
*shrug* It let's me get comfortable. And my computer is in the middle of a scan right now.
Just search for Ganondorf Laugh on Youtube. You're looking for the Wind Waker vid.

A red blurry mess in complete blackness, balled up with a terrible greyness in spots- "NO!"
ig: I agree with Rigger.
JAGwin

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 18th, 2016, 8:18 am

I would agree we need to patch the pedestal some first, then investigate the sleeping figures some more.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Storyteller » April 18th, 2016, 5:17 pm

Forgive me if I am saying the obvious, but those are chains of memory aren't they? And currently looking to be memories from before Kairi came to Destiny Islands. Aqua and Mickey, the attack of the Heartless, and her being lost within the Darkness.

Another vote for seeing if we can fix the pedestal.
Storyteller

Unread postby JamestheFox » April 27th, 2016, 9:33 pm

oog: Unrelated to anything, here's your periodical PSA regarding the KHVD Skype Chat. I usually have it open at all times while my comp's on, and periodically check it on my phone, so if there are questions for me, it's literally the fastest way to get a reply from me. I also sometimes drop worldbuilding stuff there, well before it becomes important or relevant here in the chat. For example

The Five Keyblade Unions of the Keyblade War Era
“The Keyblade War was fought between wielders of light, of darkness, for peace, for power, and those who were inevitably dragged into the chaos.”

There are five factions in the era of KHχ, led by The Foretellers, powerful bearers granted a mystical Book of Prophecy by their teacher and tasked with averting the final prophecy written -

“The war in that place will lead to the defeat and destruction of the Light.
The World will be enveloped in eternal Darkness.”

In their efforts to decide upon a course of action, suggestions ranging from gathering the darkness into one place to conquering the world to simply waiting until things were more clear, the five Foretellers argued and eventually split apart, going their separate ways with their own copy of the Book of Prophecy.

The Books of Prophecy were extraordinary artifacts, able to not only tell the future, but to manifest powers, places, and people from the future. The followers of each order, upon finishing their apprenticeship, was gifted a mystical, invisible advisor called a “Foretold,” chosen by the Book of Prophecy itself to aid in their goal. The Foretold, based on a being from the Future, was tasked with granting their bearer power, and with granting advice and friendship on a sometimes lonely duty.

Invi Anguis: Associated with the Snake. Madame Anguis saw the coming storm of darkness, and thought it best to hide away the light, and keep it safe. To this end, she gathered light wherever she could, even stealing it from the cities and towns she visited. However, in doing this, she left the darkness empty spaces to use as footholds. Her actions unwittingly spread that which she was ever trying to fight. Seeing this, she and her supporters crusaded against the darkness, rescuing every mote of light they could find. But unbeknownst to Anguis, many of her fellows found themselves starting to be enraptured by the light they captured, and began hoarding it for themselves, even stealing from and betraying each other, coveting the light and power others bore.

Finally, at the suggestion of her comrades, many of whom were corrupted by their desire for light and power, she looked to Kingdom Hearts. Surely, if one could just open the door, a flood of light could come forth, and banish the darkness forever…

The Latin word “Invidia” means Envy.

Gula Leopardos: Associated with the leopard. The youngest and most humble of the Foretellers, at age 12. As he left the site of the Foretellers’ dispute, he decided upon his course of action - he would gather the darkness into one spot, and seal it there, forever. This effort, however, proved difficult for himself and the few followers he managed to obtain, for darkness now began to lurk within any heart it could find. Entire villages needed to be quarantined so that he could extract the darkness, and he found it difficult to obtain the permission to do such absurd things. In the end, his path led to much strife as he had to fight to hold people down and steal away the darkness.

He picked a spot to the far east of the world, and sealed every mote of darkness he could find in that place. But to contain the darkness is itself a terrible, difficult fight, and many of his followers fell, were corrupted, or gave up, seeking other Unions and allying themselves with them. As for Gula, as he collected more and more Darkness, he inadvertantly absorbed it into himself... and learned that he had a taste for it. As the final battle drew closer, Leopardos found himself wondering - was Darkness really so bad? It didn’t seem to do anything wrong... and it felt so very good. And so Leopardos loosed the darkness he had sealed, taking it into himself, and was fully warped. He then turned his sights on Kingdom Hearts, hoping to gather ever more darkness into himself.

The Latin word “Gula” means Gluttony.

Ira Unicornus: Associated with the unicorn. The meeting of the Foretellers occurred within his mansion. Seeing the prophecy, Sir Unicornus decided that the best way to stop the darkness would be to stamp it out through military might. He traveled to the far reaches of the world, gathering allies and conquering as he went, eventually taking the Silver Throne and naming himself Emperor. The lands he took were set under a crushing police state, setting sunset as the curfew and continuously conscripting soldiers to conquer the rest of the world. Those who proved themselves on the battlefield were granted Keyblades and trained to become part of Unicornus’ Union. However, over time, these generals became arrogant and standoffish, and eventually stood against Emperor Unicornus, claiming themselves king of the lands they captured. These kings and knights continuously sought power, plunging the entire world into bloody war, as all pushed to claim the holy land itself - The Origin Fens, upon which the χ-Blade was enshrined, and over which Kingdom Hearts stood vigil.

The Latin word “Ira” means Wrath.

Aced Ursus: Associated with the bear. The weakest of the Union leaders. Knowing that this parting would only allow the other Foretellers to follow their own dangerous paths, Baron Ursus gathered allies in his homeland, either through friendship or paying them off, training countless Keybearers, and tasked them with spreading across the world and ensuring the peace. By far, his Union started out the largest. In the early battles that led to the Keyblade War, Ursus’ men often stood vigil to protect wherever the other Unions wanted to invade. But over countless battles, dissatisfied with what little unified support the Baron was actually able to provide, many of his followers either fell or turned traitor. By the end, his order was all but broken, and it was only the late-coming assistance of Vulpus’ Union that the places he tried so hard to protect from violence were able to falteringly pick themselves up. Ursus gathered what remained of his forces, and they (alongside Vulpus) became the first and only line of defense between the other bearers and the χ-Blade.

The Latin word “Acedia” means Sloth.

Ava Vulpus: Associated with the fox. After the scattering of the Foretellers, Lady Vulpus returned to her homeland, among the religious mountain-folk of the Paopu (In the ancient tongue, “Destiny”) Peaks. In the ancient days, their ancestors settled among these peaks to protect a the sacred fruit that grew against all odds - a fruit said to tie the bonds of those who shared it. This remote region receives a surprising number of visitors - mostly pilgrims of the Starchasers, and those seeking to undergo the sacred union of marriage.

It was only 8 years later, 6 years into the rising conflicts that would someday truly erupt into the Keyblade War, that the chaos spread to this land, and it became apparent that in order to protect her homeland, Vulpus would have to make a stand.

The Vulpus Union is isolationist by the nature of their goals - the majority of their forces remained among the Paopu Peaks throughout the war, focusing on defending their home, and only a handful of their forces ever approached the power of their foes among the other orders. A majority of their outside operations were charity missions to locations that desperately needed aid, in the wake of other battles. Only when it became obvious that the war would only lead to one bearer or another obtaining the χ-Blade did the Union fight in earnest. They were the only Union to stand entirely united at the final battle, but their strength was far outstripped by most of their enemies.

The Latin word “Avaritia” means Greed.
ig:
Day ??
Kairi's Heart
Time - ???

You focus your will on the platform beneath your feet, gathering the shards you've brought with you. It proves harder, this time, to fully patch up the platform... you're not sure you have the pieces you need, so you end up having to fracture some of the shards into smaller shards to make them fit. It's only when you're done that you realize that you feel... weaker... than you were when you first came to these platforms. You have half the shards you had at the start of this mess, but it's slowed the decay here, so for now, that'll have to do.

The figures have not moved or changed at all, and remain floating in repose. You poke at them a few times, but that doesn't seem to be doing anything anymore.

Meanwhile, the chains have moved again. They stretch far, far away... You nod. There's not exactly much you can do here anymore. On to the next destination. You hop atop a chain, and start making your way to the next platform. You notice that the chains you had used to travel to Riku's platform have moved as well, joining with the chains that were waiting there to stretch out into the abyss.

It takes what feels like forever, but you eventually you arrive at another platform. This one... This one doesn't have a single shard of stained glass left. There is only a paper and pastel picture of a girl with red hair. You leap down... and find yourself engulfed by light.

When the light fades, you find yourself in a world made of drawings. You appear to be in some kind of... field of colors. There's a fountain in the center, and a beautiful sunset. Looking around, you see a great, complex building, the likes of which you've never seen before.

There's a small figure frolicking in the colors - the flowers of a garden, you think.

You move to approach her, but a soundless voice stops you in your tracks.

Wait!

You do. The voice feels familiar.

You have followed the chain of memories deep into her heart, to links she has abandoned to sink into oblivion and rot. Links that now and again seek to breach the surface and be seen once more. You have done much - given much - for her, already, which leaves you a choice.

A door, as real as any in the real world, appears behind you.

If you take that door, you will leave this place, and return to your own self. You will awaken, as will she. And things will be as they were.

"As they were. Kairi will be back to normal?"

Indeed. But things will be as they were. Her memories - her hurt - will still lie dormant, threatening to resurge time and again. However...

"If I stay, I might be able to help, right?"

Perhaps. There is a pause. If you choose to stay, and delve deeper, you will unearth the memories. You will reveal and awaken her hurt in a way that she can't simply try to ignore until it returns to oblivion. She will have to face it - for good or bad. She will resist - violently, perhaps, and I cannot guess at what will come of that.

"It... it could hurt her?"

It could. But... If ever she is to be free of this unending cycle of sorrow and ignorance, she must face these memories, and accept them. Hurt cannot be mended until it's accepted. There is another pause. This hurt... I can't tell if she can even hope to bear it alone... I can't even say if it can be done even with help... But if anyone could help her face that hurt... it'd be you, I think.

You look at the small figure playing among the colors.

The choice is yours.

Music:
KH3D - My Heart's Descent

Characters:
KHVD Main Party Sheet
Link Shards
Gummi Ship
Shop Sheet
Jiminy's Journal
Ansem Reports
Sora's Vision History
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
JamestheFox

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 27th, 2016, 9:53 pm

This is big. This is important. If we take the first door, Kairi will be okay. We know more about what's going on, and we'll have time to get stronger and prepare for what lies ahead. We'll be able to make sure that we'll be able to help Kairi, instead of just hoping.

Except...

This isn't a normal circumstance. We don't know how we got here, we don't know if we'll ever be able to get back here to help Kairi like this again. We've said we'll do whatever it takes to help Kairi, and there's every possibility that we'll never get a chance like this again. Passing this up may mean that Kairi stays hurt for a long, long time, maybe forever.

Doing this means we expose Kairi to pain and hurt that she's repressed for a long time, and hurting Kairi is terrible. It's sickening. But the voice said that it's the kind of pain that has to be faced. Kairi is going to have to confront this pain at some point, and if it's not now, there's no guarantee that we'll be there to help her when it happens in the future. And until that undefined future comes to past, she's still going to be in the pain she's already in.

Between continuing pain plus severe pain the future, where we might not be able to help her, and severe pain now, pain free future, and being able to be there for her through the ordeal, we have to help her.

Step forward. We may be damning ourself and Kairi in the process, but we have to try. As long as it means Kairi will be okay, there's no challenge too difficult.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Ristridin » April 27th, 2016, 9:55 pm

Leave Kairi as she is? Unacceptable. She's been hurt so many times already, and there's no saying when the next time will be. It's time to end this, once and for all.
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby Wraith5 » April 27th, 2016, 11:31 pm

With the above. We NEED to fix things. The fact that we want to help her is currently secondary. We NEED to help her.
Wraith5

Unread postby JAGwin » April 28th, 2016, 9:59 am

I agree with the above.
JAGwin

Unread postby gamebrain89 » April 28th, 2016, 2:28 pm

Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it. If we walk away now, we don't solve anything. And now, we have the chance to stand with her through it in a way we might not get to otherwise. Onward.
gamebrain89

Unread postby Storyteller » April 30th, 2016, 9:28 am

Well, we are all in agreement then.
Forward March!
Storyteller

Unread postby JamestheFox » May 1st, 2016, 9:19 am

ig:
Day ??
Kairi's Heart
Time - ???

You consider for a moment. If you leave now, Kairi will wake up. She'll be okay...

Except she won't. You've seen her suffer through nightmares, both sleeping and waking. You've seen the terror and sorrow she's gone through echoed every time she activates her Limit.

If you leave now... she'll continue to suffer.

And you can't let that go, if there's something you can do about it.

Even considering the risks, the pain she might have to experience, and the possibility that you might not be strong enough to help her... You'll die before you let Kairi go on one more day hurting like she has been.

She'll never recover if she doesn't face this head-on, and this is your chance to be by her side when she does it.

You've made your choice, I can feel it. I cannot help you from here... this is something you must do yourself. Good luck.

The door vanishes as you start walking towards the playing figure. As you enter the field of colors, a tall figure, dressed in white, suddenly appears, walking past you and up to her.

The smaller figure stops what she's doing, noticing the tall figure, and greets him. The voice that comes out is distorted and faint, echoing oddly in this pastel world. "Ansem!"
Every now and again, the world shifts from this pastel world to that of what appears to be the real world.
"I see you're busy as ever."

"Mmhmm. I'm making flower crowns. Grandma taught me how yesterday."

"..."

"What about you?"

"My work is progressing well."

"I knew it would! You just have to believe, right?"

"Correct. You can't achieve anything if your heart isn't resolved." The tall figure shifts. "On that note, I would ask something of you."

"Huh?"

"I've been researching ways to better our world... and that research has led me to you."

"To... me?"

"You're very special. And I believe that you might hold the secret to completing my goal."
"No! Don't listen to him!"
"... What do I have to do?"

The figure outstretches a hand to the girl. "Come with me."
"Don't do it! Get away from him!"
"I dunno... Grandma said she'd be only be gone for a little while-"

"I know. I saw her on my way here. We spoke for a while, actually. She'll pick you up later."
"DON'T BELIEVE HIM HE'S LYING GET AWAY RUN RUN RUN!"
The girl puts her hand in his.

"NO!"

The world shatters again, and you find yourself back on the platform. The platform has shifted, showing the image you just saw, frozen in place. And in the center of the platform, fallen on her knees, head clutched and eyes fixated on the image below, is...

"Kairi!"

"Who-" Kairi looks up, and her gaze locks on you. "W-who are... You... You're the one... you're trying to make me remember. I don't want to remember! Not this! Not anything!"

"Kairi, it's me, it's Sora!"

"Go away!" The chains spanning the realm rattle with every word she says, as though she's trying to tear them apart.

"Kairi, please..." You take a step forward.

"I said go away! Please, just leave me alone!" She cries out, stumbling to her feet and stepping away from you, until she reaches the edge of the platform. She stares out into the abyss, then back at you. She reaches out into the abyss, and the two platforms you repaired appear, floating before her, their faces facing you. The two platforms shake and rumble, as though something inside is trying to come out, but ultimately fall silent. Kairi stares at them as they fall away, vanishing.

Kairi falls to her knees, starting to sob. "Please... please don't make me remember... Please."

Music:
KH - Kairi's Theme

Characters:
KHVD Main Party Sheet
Link Shards
Gummi Ship
Shop Sheet
Jiminy's Journal
Ansem Reports
Sora's Vision History

oog: Not sure I got the right feel I wanted with this update, so may go back and edit.
JamestheFox

Unread postby gamebrain89 » May 1st, 2016, 12:27 pm

"Kairi..."

Slowly approach, doing a bit away from her, and sit down. As much as or nature is screaming at us to comfort her, we can't risk her pulling away again.

"Why don't you want to remember? Please, help me understand? I...every time I see you like this...It hurts. Riku and I worry about you so much. I know what ever it is that caused this...is causing this, is probably terrible. But..."

Pause for a moment. Searching for what to say, what to do.

"Uncle Gatta always told me that ignoring something that is hurting is like ignoring a leak in your boat. Sure you might be able to just bail the water out every so often and keep going, but that doesn't fix it. And sooner or later the leak is gong to get too big for you to keep up with, and you're going to sink. And I'm terrified you're just bailing, Kairi, and I don't want you to sink."
gamebrain89

Unread postby MrRigger2 » May 1st, 2016, 12:47 pm

I agree with Game. Works for me.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Ristridin » May 1st, 2016, 1:31 pm

Agreed.
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby Storyteller » May 1st, 2016, 1:52 pm

ig:

The smaller figure stops what she's doing, noticing the tall figure, and greets him. The voice that comes out is distorted and faint, echoing oddly in this pastel world. "Ansem!"
Every now and again, the world shifts from this pastel world to that of what appears to be the real world.
"I see you're busy as ever."
"Huh?"

"I've been researching ways to better our world... and that research has led me to you."

"To... me?"

"You're very special. And I believe that you might hold the secret to completing my goal."
"No! Don't listen to him!"
"... What do I have to do?"

The figure outstretches a hand to the girl. "Come with me."
"Don't do it! Get away from him!"
"I dunno... Grandma said she'd be only be gone for a little while-"

"I know. I saw her on my way here. We spoke for a while, actually. She'll pick you up later."
"DON'T BELIEVE HIM HE'S LYING GET AWAY RUN RUN RUN!"
The girl puts her hand in his.

"NO!"
Put me down for plan Game

And I move that if we ever see Ansem, we add him to the nutshot list.
Storyteller

Unread postby Wraith5 » May 1st, 2016, 2:48 pm

I'm with all of the above. Especially the nutshot list addition.
Wraith5

Unread postby JamestheFox » May 18th, 2016, 9:27 pm

ig:
Day ??
Kairi's Heart
Time - ???

Kairi continues to sob, feebly begging for her memories - for you - to go away. Your heart feels like it might tear apart, just seeing her like this. For a moment, your resolve falters a little, but... you have to push forward.

"Kairi..." You approach her slowly, and sit down a few feet from her. "Why? Why don't you want to remember? Please..." You ask. "Please help me understand."

"I... I can't... I don't want to... It hurts..." She curls in on herself, wretched choking sounds intermittently escaping from her.

The two of you sit there, for a time. You're not sure how much - time has felt... nebulous, since you came here. But in time, you start to talk.

"It hurts for me, too. Every time we see you like this, it hurts. Riku and I... we worry about you so, so much-"

"You..." She shakes her head. "I don't believe that... You're just-" She flinches back, as though in pain. "S-see what you're doing? You're... making it come back... how could you ever understand, anyway?" There's no accusation... only sorrow.

You frown. "Maybe I don't understand. I can't understand... not without knowing." You say, and pause... where have you heard that before? "And you... I know whatever's causing this... it's terrible. But..."

You're not sure what to say... it feels... hopeless. Like there's nothing left for you to do but... sink...

You remember something, from long ago. Kairi looks up at you, face stained with tears and drivel, as you realize what you want to say.

"Uncle Gatta... he always told me that ignoring something that's hurting is like... like ignoring a leak in your boat. Sure, you might be able to just... bail the water out every so often and keep going... but that doesn't fix it. Sooner or later, the leak is going to get too big to keep up with, and the whole ship is going to... sink." You frown. "I'm scared, Kairi. It feels like... like all you're doing is ignoring the problem, bailing the hurt away. And I..."

You remember threads of color in the space between, the strums of a harp, and warmth on your shoulder. You remember two star-shaped fruits. You remember a drawing on the wall.

"I don't want you to sink."

She looks at you. There is fear and sorrow in her very being, but something new. A strange curiosity - a yearning for something she can't quite reach. "What if... What if I can't..."

"Then I'll be here, too. You... you don't have to hurt alone." You resolve yourself. You promised, after all. You won't leave her side. Not ever.

Time passes, and you watch her make her decision.

"You ready?"

She nods, and you stand up, closing the distance as gently as you can, and sit down near her. You give her your hand... and she accepts-

The world returns to that scene - the child named Kairi and the man named Ansem.

He leads her away from the colors, into a basement, near the great building. He leads her down dark halls. It is here that she - the child made of pastel begins to have doubts. You can feel the first twinges of worry.

But she says nothing, and the dark halls give way to a bright room with strange capsules with hearts floating inside them. Then Ansem opens a secret door, and guides you... her to a strange blue room, and through another door. This one leads down, and it is here, in the spiraling darkness, that she finally lets her fears be known.

"Are you sure Grandma knows we're here? This place is... dark... and scary. You work here?"

"I do... it's very important work."

She - you note the distinct lack of an answer to the first question. But it's too late. Before she knows what's happening, there are other grown-ups. People she doesn't know, talking to Ansem, politely ushering her forward.

Kairi - the Kairi at your side - is trembling with anticipation as her past self is taken to a room with a strange chair. You watch them sit the girl down... and then they start adjusting the chair, trapping her there.

"Ansem... Do I... Do I have to be..."

"It's for your own safety." His tone does not sound sincere.

Kairi trembles in fear, almost knowing what comes next, and tries to shuffle behind you as something approaches the girl. It presses against her chest... and enters.

A pain rushes through your chest, through your entire being, as the world becomes chaos. The world brightens, and a great light appears, pressed against at all sides by darkness.
"M...my lord, we... uh... we can't see the structure."
You want to scream. Maybe... maybe you are. You can't tell for the pain. This is worse than anything you've ever felt before - no wound, no sorrow has ever hurt this much.
"The light is so bright, that against the ambient darkness of the world, the true form of the light cannot be discerned.
Kairi is screaming, struggling. She wants nothing more than to get away.
"Well, w...what do we... do about it?"
The girl is screaming as well. It is... different, from Kairi's scream - the scream of someone who wasn't even close to ready.
"..."
The same voice, from two different eras, mesh together and form a terror in your heart that may very well stay with you forever.
"Hey, boss. What's the matter, cat got yer tongue? What's the plan?"
You think you understand why Kairi doesn't want to remember this.
"... Turn it off. There is nothing to be learned from this."
The pastel world returns... some semblance of normal as the light is put back in the girl. The screams have died off, only to be replaced with pained whimpers. One of the men approach, and free her from her bindings.
"We will have to find a way to purge the darkness in the operation room."
She does not have the strength to stand. "I... I wanna go home..." She murmurs, her world a blur.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't worry, kiddo." The man picks her up, and takes her to a bright hallway. The girl regains some of her senses, as the man prowls with purpose.

"This... this isn't the way back up... is it? This isn't the way... home..."

The man stops, and opens a door into a darkness deeper than you've seen in this world. He sets her inside.

"You got me on that first one, kid. But I gotta correct you on one little thing. You see, this is your home, now. Be a good girl."

He shuts the door, leaving you, Kairi, and the girl in darkness.

Kairi is in shock. You can still feel the pain of... whatever they were doing to her. She is in tears... and you think you might be, too.

Music:
KH - Kairi's Theme
KHBBS - Xehanort's Theme

Characters:
KHVD Main Party Sheet
Link Shards
Gummi Ship
Shop Sheet
Jiminy's Journal
Ansem Reports
Sora's Vision History

oog: The nightmare begins.
JamestheFox

Return to “%s” Quests