The LPs, Quests and Mafia of Viridian Dreams: A Master-List

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

The LPs, Quests and Mafia of Viridian Dreams: A Master-List

Unread postby Dervon » October 21st, 2009, 1:11 pm

Since more and more people are running Let's Plays and Quests, I figured we could have a thread for discussing/announcing/listing these, along with any meta-level discussions concerning the medium, seeing if people are interested in a particular game being LP'ed or concept Quest'ed, etc... I'm not exactly certain how needed a list is, maybe someone will find a use for it, or Bounce some concepts around before committing and such. If I've helped but one person, it is reward enough! :D

((NOTE: This post will be edited for future content.))

Viridian Dreams Let's Plays(order is newest to oldest):

Let's Play with an Original Generation! (SRT:OG)
Overseer: MEKristian

Let’s Play: Pokemon Rijon Adventures!
Overseer: serbii

Let's Play "King of Dragon Pass" (WARNING: MANY PICS)
Overseer: Dervon
My thoughts on KoDP as a forum LP:

-Never again. I love this game, I even actually bought a second copy for a friend as a gift, but it is HORRIBLE for forum-based LPs. Why? Because you can't save mid-event. I had to keep the game up, minimized (and it doesn't QUITE minimize, as it just ghosts into the background and prevents the use of your desk-top) for hours just to get a handful of votes. Now, as an inheritance-game, in the same vein as Dwarf-fortress, it might actually work. I'm not 100% sure, since save-shenanigans were what brought my LP to a burning end, but it should be far more feasible this way.

Viridian Dreams Quests (order is newest to oldest):

Assassin Quest
Overseer: Arganaut

Necromancy Quest

Vampire Quest *No Sparkles allowed.*
Overseer: Darkandus

Familiar Quest
Overseer: Magnificate

Mage Quest
Overseer: ewuvi

A Knight's Quest
Overseer: gman391

And now for something completely different: BlackVoidQuest
Overseer: Nasdaq

Magical Girl Quest
Overseer: Magnificate

Spawned of Boredom and Crazy: Grail Quest.
Overseer: MEKristian

Parasite Quest
Parasite Quest part 2
Overseer: Darkandus

Ninja Quest (OH GOD WHAT IS THIS, I DON´T EVEN :D)
Overseer: Dervon

Viridian Dreams Mafia:

Round 1
Overseer: Flux_Blade
Theme: Naruto
Ending: Townies Win

Round 2
Overseer: ewuvi
Theme: Kushiel's Dart
Ending: Townies Win

Round 3
Theme: Square-Enix
Ending: Mafia (ewuvi; Greybane; Kirai) Win

Projects Linked to Viridian Dreams:

Assassin's World (A.K.A.: Viridian Assassins)

-Overview- "In a world of hired killers, three companies battle for wealth and power: Permanent Solutions Inc., the rich and decadent assassins of the West; Black Works Ltd., the massive organization that controls the East; and NinjaCo Technologies, the psychotic shadows that weave between the two giants. The Ranked Assassins, greatest amongst the forces of the three companies, battle it out in a shadow-war that the world seems largely ignorant of."

As a kick-off for the discussion possible in this thread, a question:

While I am aware of the vast differences in time-zones, would anyone like to tune-in to a game while it is being recorded as co-hosts? You wont have any direct control, as the remote-viewing program doesn't really allow it, but I would follow any and all suggestions given to me. Also, it would make for a far more entertaining post-game view, with all the multiple people pitching in and creating chaos and stuff.

This is all purely hypothetical, but would anyone be interested?

((NOTE TO ALL OVERSEERS: Do post if you are going on temporary hiatus here as well, please. I (try to) read all the LPs and Quests on Viridian, but I might miss you saying that you've gone on vacation or something. This is all in the interest of keeping a tidy and accurate list, you see. :D))
Last edited by Dervon on November 29th, 2010, 5:52 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Dervon

Re: The LPs, Quests and Mafia of Viridian Dreams: A Master-List

Unread postby ShonenHero » December 4th, 2009, 2:23 pm

Hey, I was wondering if perhaps it’d be okay if this topic was stickied? It actually seems like a pretty well-organized index, and it may be a pretty useful resource for those new to the forum or anyone who just wants to browse through the archives of some old LPs, Quests or Mafias. :D
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby Dervon » December 4th, 2009, 3:26 pm

*remember he made this, sees that stuff has happened, goes to update*

:halo
Dervon

Unread postby Lochar » December 4th, 2009, 3:51 pm

El Mod: Stickied
Lochar

Unread postby ShonenHero » December 4th, 2009, 4:29 pm

I'd be on board for a cohosted game. I'd like to know who the hosts would be though.
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby Dervon » December 4th, 2009, 4:43 pm

I'd be on board for a cohosted game. I'd like to know who the hosts would be though.
Me, though the idea has mutated somewhat since I first conceived it. Once I get the actual game I was planning to use for this, all will be made much clearer.

For now, suffice to say that live tune-ins would make my job easier. Much easier. After that it would be between-match (hint as to the game) micromanaging on the forums.
Dervon

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » December 5th, 2009, 12:59 pm

I still have no grasp on how this works, can you give me a clearer rundown of the process involved?
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Dervon » December 5th, 2009, 1:16 pm

I still have no grasp on how this works, can you give me a clearer rundown of the process involved?
You mean co-hosting? A program called Team Viewer, which allows others to view the screen of a transmitter (that would be me) and Skype for it's conference-call option (or just Team-Viewer, if it supports a similar option).

EDIT: Link for info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teamviewer ; Supposedly the viewer doesn't even need to instal anything, as it can work from a browser. EDIT2: HAHAHA "As TeamViewer requires only Flash and a web browser, no other utilities need to be installed." Even simpler!

That way, you see what is happening on the transmitter's end and comment/give directions.

Or were you asking about something else?
Dervon

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » December 5th, 2009, 5:35 pm

OKay, now I understand phase 1.

Let's see if I understand phase 2: You're going to broadcast your screen to a bunch of people while they give you live feedback. Are we talking about a KingOfDragonPass thing, or Ninja Quest? Because I kept visualizing Ninja Quest with this system and it felt extraneous, where for a game like Dragon Pass, yes, yes I can see that helping.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Dervon » December 5th, 2009, 6:08 pm

OKay, now I understand phase 1.

Let's see if I understand phase 2: You're going to broadcast your screen to a bunch of people while they give you live feedback. Are we talking about a KingOfDragonPass thing, or Ninja Quest? Because I kept visualizing Ninja Quest with this system and it felt extraneous, where for a game like Dragon Pass, yes, yes I can see that helping.
I'm going to just go ahead and put my cards on the table: I was thinking about LP-ing Blood Bowl. American Rugby meets Warhammer Fantasy, for those who don't know. I was going to run it in campaign-mode, so in between matches any decisions to be made could be done on the forums, and then broadcast/co-host the live matches. Since it's turn-based I could easily in-put advice and strategies as they occurred to the viewers.

It's a wicked sick game. Played a match as Chaos, the opposing team were Skaven. By the end of it I had killed three of their players and permanently maimed another two. :devil

The original pitch which I never posted is enclosed below. Anywho, I intend to actually buy the game prior to LPing it, so this is all ways off anyway.

The Game
Spoiler: show
Trailer for it.

Bloodbowl, the recently released PC version of the tabletop Warhammer-Fantasy-meets-rugby miniatures game. The gist of it is simple enough: You take a team picked from a stable of Warhammer races and lead it through various championships and tournaments. Basically, it is fantasy rugby.

The catch? Bloodbowl, as it's name suggests, is an incredibly violent sport. Players routinely die. The ref can be bribed to look away as you rip apart downed adversaries. The fans often throw stuff at the players (sometimes killing them).

Really, the game is immensely fun, especially in the Turn-Based Classic mode. They added Real-Time and Blitz rules, but these favor twitch gaming, rather then strategy and a healthy fear for the RNG (something this game shares with Billy).
How Much Work Does This Entitle?
Not much. See below for what would be coming from your direction. From me, its mostly posting an after-action report (I may film matches with Fraps and post them on youtube, though I have no experience with the program) + relaying to people on Viridian as to how their characters are doing. Which leads us neatly into:
Where Do You Come In?
Firstly, a few starting choices, such as what Race we shall be playing, what will we be spending all our initial budget on, etc...

Then, each person that wants to picks one team-member and names him/her. You'd then have full control over your character's evolution, should he level and such. If he dies, feel free to request a replacement! :D

However, the icing on the cake is this: I'll try to schedule the matches so as many of you that want to can watch. How? Using a simple remote-viewing program like TeamViewer, which is free BTW. Communications could be further enhanced through a Skype tele-conference, so you can shout and cuss at me whenever your sponsored character is cloths-lined into the ground! Also, obviously, anyone watching has co-coach privileges. Just tell me where to change my strategy, and I will!
Races & Difficulty (my take on them, anyway), if you are interested:
Humans - Normal Difficulty; Well rounded, but fail to shine in any department. Not much to say, really.

Chaos - Easy Difficulty (Fun fun fun, for me); Insanely Aggressive, this team will almost always inflict some form of permanent damage on the teams it faces, more so against the squishier races. Lacks variety in character-types, though. My favorite team, BTW

Orks - Normal Difficulty: Slightly more tactically capable then chaos (LUL WUT, I know), more choices while retaining an aggressive build. HORRIBLE Agility (a stat needed to, for example, simply PICK UP THE BALL XP) on all their players except the exact few that are meant to handle the ball. This means that if they lose their technical players, they will often lose the match. Also, they are quite slow movement-wise, so if you can pass through their defense you should get a touch-down pretty easily.

Dwarfs - Normal Difficulty: They are like a mix between Chaos and Orks strategy-wise. Aggressive yet slow, with a really good skill tagged to virtually all their players from the get-go. Have some interesting elite-player options. However, as said before, very slow.

Skaven - Hard Difficulty: These (literal) rat-bastards are fast. Very fast. If they can force a breach in your line they can run through into a touch-down in a single turn. They are incredibly fragile, though. My chaos team always manages to kill a lineman(rat?) or two almost every match against them.

Elves - Hard Difficulty: Lawdy, mixing speed with technical prowess creates a team that will often simple choose to ignore the enemy's defenses via jumps and long-passes. They crumble like a sand castle if you hit them, and are expensive to replace, though.

Goblins - Insane Difficulty: Any team that NEEDS to bribe the ref MULTIPLE TIMES before EVERY MATCH is pretty darn hard to play. Fragile too. Ugh, I don't like these guys at all.
Dervon

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » December 5th, 2009, 6:41 pm

That. Sounds. Awesome.

Count me in.
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby SLAMU » December 6th, 2009, 1:46 am

Interested. While I tend to try and jump feet first into things, I'd say don't go with the Goblins this time 'round. Devron doesn't like them, you see. As for the other races, *shrug* for the most part, I don't care too much. Pros and cons to all of them, but Chaos leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Kinda like a soy-based peanut butter, gone rancid. Or maybe that was just Papa Nurgle...
SLAMU

Unread postby Random_fan » December 6th, 2009, 4:26 am

I would definitely be interested, I'd only be able to go on skype when my brother wasn't on his computer but it shouldn't be too bad.
Random_fan

Unread postby Dervon » December 9th, 2009, 8:53 am

Huzzah! The third LP on our little corner of the internet! The more, the merrier! :D

As for Bloodbowl, I am most inclined to play the following races, from most to least: Chaos; Orks/Dwarfs; Humans.
I am not keen in the least as far as playing a squishy race goes, but I will defer to whatever race is most voted upon. Expect massive friendly casualties if you go for elves or gobbos, though. :D

Also, supposedly a new race was added in the Steam-release (the one I intend to purchase), the Dark-Elves. I'm guessing they probably play like a mix of Elves and Goblins, that is to say, highly technical game with dirty tricks thrown in. On the other hand, they'll probably be quite fragile so I'm pretty "meh" towards them.
Dervon

Unread postby SLAMU » December 9th, 2009, 9:13 am

I'm inclined to go with the Gobbos just so we can play dirty, but I'm not going to force the issue. So, of those that you mentioned, I'd say order of preference is 'Umies first, Orks or Dorfs second. (No preference, lots of comedic potential with both) Da 'Umies sound like they have tactical flexability on their side. Blitzing doesn't work? Try passing. Etc. Besides, alot of my friends are human, and I think they turned out all right. :biggrin1 Dorfs sound pretty defensive-based, but the chance to sneak a steamroller onto the field is mighty tempting. Orkses, on the otherhand, are always fun. Don't want to go with the Kaos Boyz for idealogical reasons. (It displeases the Emperor, don'cha know?) Also, elfs? No thanks, not this time 'round. Although, I might break down and end up quoting Gimli at some point.
SLAMU

Unread postby Random_fan » December 9th, 2009, 9:31 am

My preference would be for the Orks just because they sound fun.
Random_fan

Unread postby SLAMU » December 9th, 2009, 9:48 am

Orkses laff in da face of logic!
SLAMU

Unread postby Dervon » December 9th, 2009, 9:55 am

Well, you can play dirty with any race, it's just that gobbos hit harder when the enemy is down, or something like that. :P

Some more in-depth:

Humans are a jack-of-a-trades race, like in most fantasy games. Heavy-choice for them is the Ogre, a character that has a chance to lose his turn every time he activates due to stupidity.

Orks are the most technical of the "Heavy" races (I know, weird, right?), and I think they are only second to the Dwarfs when it comes to armor. They compensate by having horrendous agility. Their heavy-choice is the Troll, a character that has a chance to lose his turn every time he activates due to stupidity. Also, Orks can get basic gobbos on their team as well. Supposedly, a "unique" maneuver is to have the gobbo grab the ball, have the troll grab the gobbo and then throw the ball-holding gobbo over the opposing team's line. There is a chance the Troll will eat the gobbo rather then throwing him, however. :P

Dwarfs have all their basic players, the linesman (linesdwarf?), start out with the blocker skill, a horribly named but incredibly useful skill. Why do I rage about the name? Because it applies to all altercations, not just "defensive" ones. Blocker makes it so any dice that rolls "both players down" negates on the blocker's end, making it an "opponent down"-roll most of the time, or a "nothing happens"-roll if both characters have Blocker. Their heavy-choice, the Slayer, has low-armor and the Frenzy rule, which states that every time an enemy is pushed back by the Slayer, the Slayer must pursue and roll a second attack. Very powerful, but horribly risky.

Chaos are simple. They start out with just two character types and the heavy-choice. Their basic player is the Gor, a beast-man that starts with the "Horns" mutation (mutations are a table of "skills" that only Chaos has) which makes it so that any Gor that attacks with a Blitz (a single once-per-round all-out action) gets an extra point of Strength added to their combat roll. Combine this with some attack skills and mutations and the Gors become frightfully deadly. Their other choice is the Chaos Warrior, of which they can have only 4. Chaos Warriors start with some serious strength and armor stats but have bad movement. Finally, their heavy-choice is the Minotaur, essentially a Slayer (same Frenzy skill) with stronger armor. Also, supposedly getting too many mutations on a single Chaos character has a chance of turning that character into a Chaos Spawn. I'm not really sure what that entitles.
Dervon

Unread postby Magnificate » February 22nd, 2010, 5:02 pm

Short survey. Here is the list of potential Quests I could start:

Continue Magical Girl Quest

Slider Quest (Low Magic Fantasy Variant): High school student is casted into another world. Faced with unfamiliar culture he strives to return home. Gritty or Heroic flavor.

Slider Quest (Alternate History Variant): The timeline we live in is a result of temporal terrorism. Young adult is approached by one of the few surviving agents from the erased future and transported into the past. Adventure flavor.

Vendetta Quest: Two organizations in the turbulent political and economical environment of the Free City of Cliffport vow to undermine and eventually destroy each other. Team vs. Team. Intrigue flavor.

Crossover Romance Quest
: High school students meets three beautiful girls who find him attractive. Or interesting. Or annoying. Or not. The girls may come from any anime of your choice, provided I watched it. Post your suggestions. Romantic Comedy or Dating Sim flavor.

Mastermind Quest: Plan and execute the perfect crime. Elude the law as investigators and prosecutors mercilessly exploit your every misstep. Suspense flavor.

Genderbender Quest: *squishy* Wait, what? Comedy or Drama flavor.

Which ones strike your fancy? If you have any other ideas or requests for Quests don’t hesitate to post them.

Note that this is at least a month-long survey and, with the exception of continuing Magic Girl, the actual Quest won’t start until April so that I am well rested and the storyline and setting are prepared.
Magnificate

Unread postby Dervon » February 22nd, 2010, 5:51 pm

(by "Continue Magical Girl Quest", you mean like a sequel?)

I vote: Vendetta Quest.

Delicious drama as one group one-ups the other! Trolltastic delight at the extra work this implies for Magnificate! People crying over the injustice of facing a truly deadly enemy! PvP! Bruised egos! A breakdown in basic human decency!

Holy hell, what more could I ask for!?!?! XD
Dervon

Unread postby gman391 » February 22nd, 2010, 5:56 pm

I vote: Vendetta Quest.

Delicious drama as one group one-ups the other! Trolltastic delight at the extra work this implies for Magnificate! People crying over the injustice of facing a truly deadly enemy! PvP! Bruised egos! A breakdown in basic human decency!

Creative juices to get the ninja quest going again?

I'd prefer the master mind or romance quest myself.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Magnificate » February 22nd, 2010, 5:59 pm

No. I consider closing the Magical Girl Quest due to recent small traffic. I wanted to see if there is still interest in that particular Quest. Seeing that I got quite a few replies aftet that annoucement it seems there is. ;)
Rudimentary organization-level mechanics. Simplified Reign rules for companies should fit just fine.
Magnificate

Unread postby ANightmareDarkly » February 22nd, 2010, 6:12 pm

I like the cut of the mastermind quest's gib but vendetta quest sounds fun to though I wonder how it would work would everyone be in one group, random distribution, choice of group, how would the choices of both be made obviously posting in one place if its PvP would be...exploitable.
ANightmareDarkly

Unread postby Magnificate » February 22nd, 2010, 6:38 pm

obviously posting in one place if its PvP would be...exploitable.
Don't worry. I have experience in managing PBF PvP sessions. ;)
I wonder how it would work would everyone be in one group, random distribution, choice of group, how would the choices of both be made
Rules to consider:
Two groups. Player is free to choose the faction he or she supports. Of course I will encourage a balanced setup. Players are not represented by individual characters, but collectively manage the resources of their organization. However, each faction is expected to designate a 'Leader' in case of decision deadlock. If the 'Leader' acts as a leader thats even better. In addition I won't present you with pre-made organizations. Instead I will provide a basic setting and some sort of rudimentary statistics and expect you to decide what your organization is all about. As the Quest will be focused on intrigue part of it will take place via PMs.
Magnificate

Unread postby SLAMU » February 22nd, 2010, 7:12 pm

Has my vote.
SLAMU

Return to “%s” Quests