Necromancy Quest

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Necromancy Quest

Unread postby serbii » August 13th, 2010, 4:32 am

You wake with a start.
Someone just died nearby. You don’t know how you know, you can just feel it; in your bones, in your soul.
Fear grips you for a second before your brain kicks in and points out it wasn’t someone in this house, Charlotte is fine.
Gee, thanks brain. How do you know that anyway?
The night is silent and still.

What do you do?
---------------------
Oh God I’m starting a quest D:

serbii's mental process:
Spoiler: show
:panic: *dither dither dither*
Stop dithering and post the damn opener!
But I havent' decided-
You don't need that this update anyway! It's not like there's much they can do at this point.
Commitment!
You already said you would. No one's going to be online for hours anyway, just post it.
I don't like the name.
You haven't found a better one.
What about-
POST THE DAMN OPENENER!
....Post the damn opener quest?
-_- I am a moron. A schizophrenic moron.
*preview* oh wow that looks short. Eh. *Post*
serbii

Re: Necromancy Quest

Unread postby gman391 » August 13th, 2010, 4:44 am

It's not bad.....*sideways look at my own quests* I should get back to those shouldn't I?

Quest actions:
Sit up take account of the surroundings (Where the F*** are we?)
and like all good adventure games I say we check inventory.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Kirai » August 13th, 2010, 4:56 am

It's not bad.....*sideways look at my own quests* I should get back to those shouldn't I?
Yes, yes you should^^

And yes inventory check... and who's chalotte?
Kirai

Unread postby Magnificate » August 13th, 2010, 5:15 am

Are we one of the good guys? Male or female?
Magnificate

Unread postby serbii » August 13th, 2010, 6:28 am

Are we one of the good guys? Male or female?
You're nothing yet.
Male OMG male protaganist
serbii

Unread postby Darkandus » August 13th, 2010, 10:06 am

Right.

Look for the nearest clock. If it's before seven thirty it's not your problem. It's sleeping time damn it! And no inconsiderate corpse is gonna drag you out of bed. If a clock isn't available look out a window and use the sun or a lack of one as a reference.
Darkandus

Unread postby doc.exe » August 13th, 2010, 10:52 am

Quest actions:
Sit up take account of the surroundings (Where the F*** are we?)
and like all good adventure games I say we check inventory.
I agree. I'm not sure we have an inventory yet, but check anyway.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby ewuvi » August 13th, 2010, 11:49 am

Locate bells or panpipes. :want:
ewuvi

Unread postby Wittgen » August 13th, 2010, 1:15 pm

Not in the house=not our problem. Go back to sleep. This is probably just a dream anyway.
Wittgen

Unread postby Magnificate » August 13th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Not in the house = not our problem.
:omg:

So, I assume it's the first time we felt someone being dead?
Is the place we are sleeping in is a typical teenage room or something different?
Magnificate

Unread postby serbii » August 13th, 2010, 6:34 pm

You don’t have a clock. It’s hard to get mechanical things working properly this far north of The Wall and getting a Charter run one would be ridiculously expensive. You estimate it to be about 10-11pm. You give serious thought to just going back to sleep before realising this isn’t your room.

Leto Skua stares up at the unfamiliar ceiling and mutters “Where…? Oh, right, Babysitting.”

The boss and his wife were out at the town meeting, something about trade and building a new hall and what not. It was to be “a long meeting” meaning they were all going to the pub afterwards, not a good night to sneak out then. There’s no where else to go anyway.

So here lies Leto, the poor worker-kind-of-apprentice, babysitting six year old Charlotte and contemplating all the possible, horrible ways someone could have just died.
He always did have a morbid imagination and right now he’s cursing it.

“This isn’t helping Lee… also you’re talking to yourself. Crap.”

He feels in the pockets of the work pants he’s still wearing and finds nothing.
Don’t know what I was expecting. He thinks, a small portion of his brain congratulating himself for having a thought and not voicing it.

Leto scans the familiar workroom in the dim glow of the small forge and the light from a full moon coming through a crack in the curtains. A workbench takes up one wall, a thick window above it with Charter marks embedded to let through more light. On the bench and the walls above it lay a variety of tools; pliers, small hammers, wire cutters, tweezers, nails, wire. The room is used for tinkering, decorative metal work, jewellery making and general fiddly stuff you can do with metal without needing the room to swing a massive hammer. Leto’s pallet is pushed up to one end of the work bench.

Directly across from Leto’s head is the door leading to the main work room and forge. In there he knows there to be some larger hammers, hoes and other farm equipment. No swords but maybe some knives, he’s not quite sure, spending more time in the smaller work room. The door tends to stick and opening it might be noisy.

At the foot of Leto’s pallet is the door to the main house. Charlotte is in the first room off that hall.

In the final corner of the work room sits the small forge, the coals still smouldering. There are two pokers sitting by it, both about two feet long. One pointed the other with a point and a hook. They’re not particularly sharp though.

You also have Charter Magic (see below).

Sense/Listen roll 1d10=5
You notice you can still sense death a little. That’s odd…

Encounter roll=4 Fail, +1 strength.

Well the general consensus is “Go back to sleep” so Leto decides not to worry about it and lays back down.

No, it’s not the first time you’ve sensed something dead or someone die. But people don’t generally die around you so it doesn’t exactly come up much.

There are no panpipes or bells around. Besides, the Royals and Abhorsen do horrible things to necromancers (well not really, generally they just kill them for good). You’d rather not be caught with a set. You can whistle though.

Now you have enough info to actually do something, what’ll it be? Sleep?

------------

Some quest mechanics for you:
About The Charter:
Most, though not all, people in The Old Kingdom (where you are) have a Charter Mark placed on their forehead as a child which allows them to sense and use Charter Magic.

Think of the Charter as a big sea of symbols from which you pick out the ones you wish to use. The symbols are called “Marks” and each Mark has a different effect. They can be written or embedded into objects, however most of the time they’re focused in the mind then placed with hands, left to float or woven into something. It will depend on the mark. More powerful Marks may also require a spoken word to call upon.

Charter Stones are scattered across the land. It’s easier too use Charter Magic near these points and your spell power will be stronger near them.

Charter Magic is ordered, there also exists Free Magic which is chaotic, physically hurts to use and will eventually drive the user mad. It eventually corrupts a user’s (forehead) Charter Mark and so testing someone’s is a good way to tell if they’re dabbling in it. However there are benefits to Free Magic, if you want to break physics and cheat death this is where you look.
Free Magic creatures wander the land and can generally kill you in creative, horrifying ways.

Leto may call upon three Marks at once, then another 3 in 5 or so minutes. You can use about 12 in an hour and still be able to move. It’s physically draining, the more power you put in the longer they’ll last, the less you’ll be able to do.
Carving/writing a mark will make it last longer without extra effort.

You know the following Marks: Light, heat, cool, dark, lighten (weight), heavier, sharpen, blunt, activate (generally for embedded Marks), accuracy, move, quieten, louden, colour change, focus, mend (also works as fix, heal), split.
Master Mark lv 1 (1 link)

You can use these two ways.
Take light; casting the Marks:
light, light, light
will produce three lights.

Using the Master Mark you can link two Marks to change their effect.
Eg. Light-link-Light will produce a single brighter light
Light-link-focus will focus the light into a beam
Light-link-heat produces fire etc.

Not all links will produce a result.
I don’t have a big list of this + this = that. If you can justify it, you can do it.
If anyone has an idea for a low level Mark really want included right now, speak, or hold your peace til Lee gets the chance to do some learning.
Woo typing.
serbii

Unread postby Darkandus » August 13th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Lets see all of the things I can think up using just what we have.

Heat-Link-Focus=Set fires at a distance as you focus the heat in a certain location.

Cool-Link-Focus=Same as above, but to create areas of unnatural cool.

Light-Link-Colour Change=SWEET RAVE PARTY!

Move-Link-Quieten=Move objects without unfortunate noises that alert, such as keys jingling.

Sharpen-Link-Split=Cut things that would normally be to hard to split apart.

Lighten-Link-Quieten= Allow the opening of things like rusty gates without the hassle of screaming joints, or wear and tear slowing you down.

Move-Link-Accuracy. Put too much salt on your food? Fear no more!

Focus-Link-Light. Whatever your thinking of or trying to find lights up to allow you to find it.

Nice.

As for low level marks...I don't know what constitutes a low level mark and I'm finding creative use of what we have if fulfilling pretty much all the low level handy kind of tricks that make life easier.

As for what to do. I'm gonna regret this, but we better check out the whole death aura. Yes, I know, stupid idea and all that, but it's in the name of progress.
Darkandus

Unread postby doc.exe » August 14th, 2010, 1:15 am

Low level marks.... mmm... What about: Thoughen, soften, wet, dry, ductile (may sound strange, but given that we are a blacksmith aprentice, making metals more ductile may make our job easier).

And well, I agree with going to look for the death aura. Just first go to the other room to get a knife or a large hammer, in order to not go unarmed. Use the quieten mark in the door to avoid making noise.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby serbii » August 14th, 2010, 1:39 am

Wet and dry can both be achieved to some extent with the marks I've given you. Individually they'll be higher level ones.

In place of toughen, weaken and ductile I'll throw in Strengthen and Weaken but at this level they wont be useful for much more than weakening seals on pickle jars. Also note it's physically strengthen and weaken. You can't use it to make spells stronger or whatnot. Basically if you put them on glass it would make it harder/easier to break.
Putting them on yourself won't make you able to lift more/less weight.

You could make metal more ductile with heat-link-weaken but you'd have to be careful. It'd probably end up brittle instead. Really you'd need a higher level Mark for it.

Low level is pretty much things I (more or less) can't break down any further and with a small range and effect.
Move-Link-Accuracy. Put too much salt on your food? Fear no more!
Finally, magic with a practical application!
serbii

Unread postby doc.exe » August 14th, 2010, 1:45 am

I see. Well, I settle with strenghten and weaken.

I wish I could come with more or better marks, but at this level, I don't think we could do much. And really, these marks are versatile enough. We may be able to do some nifty things with them for the time being.

doc.exe

Unread postby serbii » August 14th, 2010, 6:27 am

Well it looks like that inconsiderate corpse is going to get me out of bed after all.
Leto thinks then vaguely wonders if that’s the normal reaction to this kind of situation.
Eh, near enough.

He quietly slides out of bed, pulls on his boots and coat before approaching the heavy wooden door that leads to the main workshop. With a deep breath he closes his eyes and feels for the Charter. The marks come easily; a Quieten on each hinge. Turning the catch Leto sets his shoulder against the door and pushes.

Luck roll 1d10 +4 = 10 13 Critical Success.

The door swings open easily and silently, Leto slips into the room closing the door behind him.

Spot check 1d10 = 8

In the dim light Leto finds a large knife complete with sheath and belt which he promptly buckles on. He slides a hammer, the handle as long as his forearm into the belt as well. Completing his arsenal with the largest hammer he feels comfortable wielding on his shoulder, a meter long with a heavy iron head.
Excellent, it never hurts to be paranoid. Leto takes a quick moment to hope like hell he won’t have to explain why he’s wandering the street armed with hammers to anyone.

Sense check = 9

The fact he can still feel something dead is worrying. Normally it’s quick, the soul leaves and this uneasy feeling with it. He’s sure now; something Dead is wandering the town. It killed someone which was what woke him. There’s an uneasy feeling in the back of his mind that there may be others further away. This is strange, there have been no great battles here, no disasters, no massacres. Normally anyone looking to raise the dead wouldn’t bother with this place.

Leto quietly leaves the room for the street. He can see ok in the light of the moon, he’s always had good night vision anyway. Cautiously Leto moves in the shadows towards where he thinks the death occurred, where he can still feel something.

The corpse isn’t well hidden, it lie in a ditch by the side of the road. Jacob Miller, 19 years old, his face and neck a mass of gore. It’s impossible to tell if he died of a broken neck or from having his throat ripped out. Leto hopes it was the former, he was a decent guy.

Leto’s unease increases. Jacob wasn’t the one he was sensing, his soul is somewhere in death. Something stumbles in the bushes above the ditch then staggers down about 20m (60ish feet) from Leto. It was a middle aged man once, unfamiliar and not in bad shape. His neck is twisted at a horrible angle, even without freaky-death-sense Leto can tell he’s gone.

Knowledge 1d10 = 11… ok what the hell is wrong with my RNG? You know what? Screw it, it gave me 10 when I reopened it anyway. Have the critical success.

Crap, crap, crap! Dead Hand.
Dead Hands are corpses reanimated by a necromancer and housing one or more bound dead spirits. They’re the mooks of the necromancy world, pretty useless on their own but relatively easy to make provided you’re willing to dirty your hands with Free Magic. Stupid and clumsy, they can’t cross even small streams, the running water pushing them back to death, they can’t move under the sunlight, it also releases the bound spirits.

The Dead Hand staggers towards Leto at a swift walking pace.

You should probably do something.

Encounter roll 1d10 +1 = 2 Fail, +1 strength.

Marks: Light, dark, heat, cool, lighten (weight), heavier, sharpen, blunt, activate, accuracy, move, quieten, louden, colour change, focus, mend, split, strengthen, weaken.
------------
*cough* I suspect the +4 was still on (you got 2 for each Quiten). >_> ah well, I’ll let you have them and know for next time.
serbii

Unread postby Darkandus » August 14th, 2010, 2:20 pm

Fricken' Zombies.

Right, if we have a full charge on the marks the solution is simple, keep your distance, Lighten the hammer and then as you bring it down on the Dead hands head use heavier on it. Ah, Delicious momentum.
Darkandus

Unread postby Magnificate » August 14th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Alternative we could combine Split with Focus and decapitate the attacker. Undead die when beheaded, yes?

Question. If the Dead Head's animated corpse belonged to someone we know, would we be able do something about it?
Magnificate

Unread postby SLAMU » August 14th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Run, alert anyone we can that there's a Dead Hand in the area. If we need to, take the thing out in self defence, but our primary and secondary concerns at this point are making sure that we get out of this okay and making sure that everyone knows that there might be a necromancer around.
Also, start thinking of excuses for why we left a small child alone when there might be a necromancer around. I'm sure the bosses will be simply delighted that Charlotte is unattended right now.

If it's not too late to submit some possible Charter Symbols, how about See (general vision accuity, adding Link Dark makes it night vision, Link Bright better daytime vision, etc.) and a very minor Heal (something to fix up little hurts from around the forge like blisters or splinters)
SLAMU

Unread postby Wittgen » August 14th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Is there a river nearby. If there is, can we get a boat or some kind of raft and then go out on it? Then we could finally get some sleep.
Wittgen

Unread postby ewuvi » August 14th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Haha, indeed. Backhand slap the zombie, grab Charlotte, cross a river and take a nap.

Alternatively Light-link-Heat it's ass off. That should dissuade it from messing with our sleep. From what I remember, the Dead don't like running water/lakes and fire.
ewuvi

Unread postby serbii » August 14th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Question. If the Dead Head's animated corpse belonged to someone we know, would we be able do something about it?
No.
With certain circumstances and tools it is possible to bring back someone recently killed provided their body can sustain life (will depend on how they're killed). You'd have no idea how to do it though.
Plus this guy is not recently dead, his neck is snapped and it may not even be his soul in that body. If you're making a crappy zombie foot soldier it doesn't really matter who's in which body.
If it's not too late to submit some possible Charter Symbols, how about See (general vision accuity, adding Link Dark makes it night vision, Link Bright better daytime vision, etc.) and a very minor Heal (something to fix up little hurts from around the forge like blisters or splinters)
"Mend" works as a minor heal.
"See" will probably come with the next batch. Enhancing vision is a bit more complex than making things glow.
*cough* You can use one of the seals to make a breeze though which can be combined to help you hear things
You can already see Charter marks, everyone who can use the magic can. Free magic makes the air around it taste/smell metallic and ozoney

From what I remember, the Dead don't like running water/lakes and fire.
[Blatant plagiarism]
When the Dead do walk, seek water's run,
For this the Dead will always shun.
Swift river's best or broadest lake
To ward the Dead and haven make.
If water fails thee, fire's thy friend;
If neither guards it will be thy end.

[/Blatant plagiarism]
The Old Kingdom has lovely nursery rhymes. :biggrin:

I think I'll put a rough map next time I think.
There is a creek, it's a couple of kms walk though, it curves around the town it's closest point to you is in the north east but you could go south to meet it too, it'll just take longer.
Most people are up at the pub meeting which is north, it'll take you at least 10-15 min to get there. The Dead Hand is between you and it.

So the current plan seems to be
Equip>sledgehammer>attack
Grab Charlotte
Yes?
I'll give you the map then you can argue about what to do next. Also decide if you want to take anything from the house, for Charlotte, anything from anyone else's house.
Things you'd like to have and I'll see if Lee can procure them.
serbii

Unread postby ewuvi » August 14th, 2010, 9:38 pm

I was going to post the delightful nursery rhyme when I suggested fire, but I didn't want to 'cheat' as it were. :D

And Yes to The Plan.
ewuvi

Unread postby serbii » August 14th, 2010, 9:51 pm

Yes, yes. Not cheating is good. I appreciate it.
But kids are still learning the rhyme, have been and will be for a long time.
serbii

Unread postby ewuvi » August 14th, 2010, 9:56 pm

Been rereading Lirael, as The Old Kingdom has come up in conversation with too many people for me to ignore that it's time for a reread. Badass Librarians are <3, also books that don't let you read certain parts lest you be irreparably mindraped. Haha, my rereading may or may not be a good thing as far as Necromancy Quest is concerned, I'll do my best not to get too meta, although it may help since Leto is supposed to know a lot of this stuff already.

Question: Who's the ruling the Old Kingdom at the moment?
ewuvi

Return to “%s” Quests