Pokemon Quest

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Pokemon Quest

Unread postby MrRigger2 » September 12th, 2011, 4:09 pm

That's right people, another quest for the enjoyment of the Viridian Dreams Forum! I don't plan on this being a direct copy of the games, especially not with your input, but I do plan on staying fairly faithful to the areas pokemon are found in. No finding Pseudo-Legendaries on the first route.

Most of my exposure and all of my recent exposure to Pokemon is via the games and Pokemon Special, just for reference. Elements will be taken from both of these areas, but I'm not likely to be exclusive to either one.

Reference Maps:
Pokearth
Johto
Kanto
Hoenn
Sinnoh
Unova

0oOo0

"Come on boy, off and on! You said you'd help out the Professor today, and the morning's half gone already," your dad's voice calls out. You open your eyes and look at the clock. 8:45. You roll your eyes but swing your legs out off the bed and get up. At least he didn't bring out the bucket of water.

You hastily pull your clothes on and head downstairs. You pass your father's five framed badges on the mantle on your way to the kitchen. There's a bacon and egg sandwich on the table, which you quickly grab. "So what does the Professor want?"

Your dad shruggs. "Not sure. I think it's just some errands he needs done. But you better get going, you can eat on the way."

You make sure you have the sandwich firmly in hand as your father all but shoves you out the door. You and your father don't live far from Elm's Research Facility, so it doesn't take long to get there, but the run certainly woke you up. After ringing the bell, one of the Professor's aides answers the door. "Can I help you?"

You peer over the aide's shoulder and into the lab. "Yeah, I'm supposed to be helping Professor Elm with something today?"

"Oh, yes, Brian's boy. Right this way, please, and don't touch anything."

The lab is pretty cluttered, but the aide leads you through the mess with ease. "Sir, someone here to see you." He gives you a short nod and disappears from the room.

Professor Elm looks up from the console he was working at and stares at you briefly. "Oh, that's right, I need you to make a delivery for me, and your father said you were trustworthy. I have some documents that need to be taken to Elder Li in Violet City. They're rather sensitive, so I don't want to send them electronically, and unfortunately, my aides and myself are all at a particularly complex point in our research, so we can't do this ourselves. Your father said you'd be willing to give me a hand with this, and it would really help me out."

"I don't know, Professor, Violet City is a couple days away if I run the whole time..." you start.

"Oh, I'd be happy to lend you a Pokemon for your journey. Trips like this are always better when you can share them with Pokemon. They're right over here."

Sure enough, three pokeballs are set up on a recovery table. "They're all quite friendly, I assure you. Which would you like to take with you? Chikorita, Cyndaquil, or Totodile?"

MrRigger
Last edited by MrRigger2 on November 17th, 2011, 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Re: Pokemon Quest

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » September 12th, 2011, 4:41 pm

God damn, someone got to this before I did! Curse you, MrRigger!

What gender/age/name are we? (EDIT: Oh wait, we're a boy. I didn't see that bit.)

Also: CYNDAQUIL THE FIRE ECHIDNA. NO OTHER OPTION IS ACCEPTABLE.

I would support nicknaming it Ares because gods are cool and that's also what my last one was in HeartGold.
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby Vael » September 12th, 2011, 5:19 pm

Totodile. Totodile. Toto-frakkin'-dile.

Not only is the cute little 'gator one of the most awesome Water-types I've ever had the privilege to train, but he's a walking, water-breathin' croc. And if you're careful with the TM usage, by the time you get to the Elite 4, Feraligator would be able to one shot all but 4/5 types...the one-shots include dragon, grass, and electric.

In short, it is through the path of the Totodile you shall find absolute power.

Edit:
As for a nickname...Ryujin? After the Dragon-God of the Deep Oceans?
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

KH Wiki: The Keyhole
Fairly solid as a resource and rather organized, perfect for newcomers to KH.
Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Parent-site of The Keyhole, a little less organized in my opinion, but goes a little deeper into the mechanics of KH.
Vael

Unread postby MrRigger2 » September 12th, 2011, 5:28 pm

God damn, someone got to this before I did! Curse you, MrRigger!

What gender/age/name are we? (EDIT: Oh wait, we're a boy. I didn't see that bit.)

Also: CYNDAQUIL THE FIRE ECHIDNA. NO OTHER OPTION IS ACCEPTABLE.

I would support nicknaming it Ares because gods are cool and that's also what my last one was in HeartGold.
Glad to see I can still reduce someone to cursing my name with a single post. Thanks, Quote.

Yes, we're male, approximately 14, and currently no official name. I want to see how long I can go without giving a proper name.

Current votes are for Cyndaquil 1, Totodile 1, Chikorita 0. I'll make it a race to 5 votes, or whichever has the most votes when I get home from class (in about 5 hours). Or maybe I'll wait until morning, depends on how mush-like my brain is after a 4 hour class.

And before anyone asks, if Totodile wins, it will not be a Gatorface expy. It might like to bite things, but only as much as a normal bipedal croc, it won't be a relentless killer bent on destroying everything in the world. There are Surskit for that.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby serbii » September 12th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Cyndaquil named smoot.
serbii

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » September 12th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Totodile, because as Feraligator it's big, mean looking, can hit like a tank and take an equivalent hit. While Cyndaquil is nice and all, there are much more fearsome looking Fire-types out there. As for the name? Gustav. (I watched Primeval a few too many times)
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » September 12th, 2011, 8:22 pm

A... a Pokémon Quest?
MrRigger, you are my hero.
Now then, for choices... hmm, I picked Cyndaquil back in the day, but I wound up replacing it. Pick Totodile!
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby MrRigger2 » September 12th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Condemnations of rage and speechless praise in the same day? Happy day, happy day. Totodile 3, Cyndaquil 2, Chikorita 0.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby tryrar » September 12th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Ohhh, Pokemon quest?! /ends yearlong board lurk(or whenever ch 18 of Team 8 came out, I forget which)

Anyways, hiho and all that and I vote for Cydaquil do to it being my fav in silver, and do to a sad lack of early fire types in G/S
tryrar

Unread postby ShonenHero » September 12th, 2011, 9:26 pm

I'd throw my hat in for Chikorita, but that poor poke has gotten no love. :'( Instead, for the sake of the tie I'll break it in favor of choosing Totodile.
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby ewuvi » September 12th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Smoot the Cyndaquil!
ewuvi

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » September 12th, 2011, 10:05 pm

/BURSTS IN

Cyndaquil!

/BURSTS OUT
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby Arganaut » September 12th, 2011, 10:26 pm

With the exception of Smugleaf, the fire poke'mon starter is almost always the best poke'mon out of the group! So I vote Cyndaquil!
Arganaut

Unread postby Wittgen » September 12th, 2011, 10:31 pm

Totodile. Water is always better. True in pokemon. True in Avatar. True in life.
Wittgen

Unread postby ShonenHero » September 12th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Totodile. Water is always better. True in pokemon. True in Avatar. True in life.
I'm sorry Witt, normally I'd agree with your assessment, but well you're forgetting...

EDIT: In this case though yeah, a water wielding gator monstrosity is better.
ShonenHero

Unread postby MrRigger2 » September 12th, 2011, 11:40 pm

Well, it looked like Totodile, but Cyndaquil comes up from behind to be the victor. And because I like the name, he'll be named Smoot.

0oOo0

"I'll take the Cyndaquil," you say, grabbing the Pokeball marked with a small flame. "I've wanted one of my own for a while." Your dad had breeded a few, but you had never had a chance to bond with any of them. Of course, a good breeder wasn't supposed to bond closely with any of his pokemon, not when they needed to be sent away once they were strong enough.

"Excellent! Well, here are the papers you need to deliver, and if you talk Smith, he should be able to give you some provisions for the trip. Don't forget to tell your father you're going," Elm said as he ushered you towards the door.

Elm's aide did indeed have a backpack ready for you, containing some food for you and Smoot, a half a dozen Pokeballs, two Potions, and a one-man pop up tent.

You call your father, and he picks up on the third ring. "Hey kiddo, what's the Professor got you doing?"

"Why'd you volunteer me to go all the way up to Violet City by myself?"

Your dad chuckles. "Well, I didn't think you'd be going quite that far, and it's really about time you started taking some real responsibility. By the time I was your age, I nearly had my third badge. And since you aren't doing much around the ranch, I thought you might be able to pick up some work as a part-time researcher."

"Well, I'm not going to be doing any researching, I'm going to be the freaking mailman!"

"Eh, get over it. This'll be good for you. And while you're out there, see if you can't catch a couple of good looking Pokemon. I want to try and expand the ranch, and I'll need some new bloodlines to do that. The more unusual the better, but hey, every Pidgey counts. I'll talk to my buddy in Cherrygrove, he should be able to get you a good deal on some Pokeballs. Now get going kid, you made a commitment, you better fulfill it."

"Actually, dad, you made the commitment for me, just so we're clear..." you say into the empty phone line. You pull out Smoot's pokeball and stare at it for a moment or two. "Well, better start getting used to each other." You press the release switch and the mostly blue pokemon bursts free. You put your hands on your hips and do your best to look impressive. "Alright, your name is Smoot, and I'm going to be your trainer. My name is wait why are you running away GET BACK HERE!"

0oOo0

You lean heavily against a tree, panting in exhaustion. Smoot led you on a merry chase through half of Route 29 before he got stuck in a muddy pit too deep for him to climb out easily. You drop your backpack and slide down the side of the pit. Smoot stares up at you defiantly. "Are you going to run away once I get you out of here? Cause I'm not really in the mood."

Smoot snorts a puff of smoke, but doesn't struggle as you pick him up. You slip once getting out the pit, but it's not so steep you have much trouble. Smoot starts growling as you get out of the pit. "Hey, I thought we just talked about this! I'm your trainer, so we've got to figure out how to get along."

Smoot pays you no mind and leaps out of you arms, growling the whole way. You look up and see what he's growling at. Two Pidgey have set down and are pecking around at your backpack.

0oOo0

Your Party:

Smoot - Cyndaquil - Naughty Nature

Seriously, I rolled the nature randomly. I won't be relying heavily on stats nor on the nature's effect on stat growth, but natures do provide a good jump off point for individual personalities. I think I'm going to have fun with them.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby ShonenHero » September 13th, 2011, 12:25 am

Ohoh! I like the idea of using random natures to hammer out a personality. Good luck to you on that, Rigger. :3

Take a knee, look Smoot in the eye, and level with him. "Well, you just going to let them peck at the pack or are you going to stop them from eating your lunch? If they eat it all, there won't be much for you."
ShonenHero

Unread postby Vael » September 13th, 2011, 4:46 am

:TT_TT: No Toto...ah well...

"Remember Smoot, if you do not believe in yourself, believe in me, the one who believes in you. For your flame is the flame that it is destined to burn even Moltres! Now Smoot, your nourishment...your sustenance is threatened by Pidgeys...mere Pidgeys! GO FORTH SMOOT! GO FORTH AND MAKE THEM PAY!!

SMOOT! TACKLE ATTACK!!!"
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Parent-site of The Keyhole, a little less organized in my opinion, but goes a little deeper into the mechanics of KH.
Vael

Unread postby serbii » September 13th, 2011, 4:50 am

"You take the one on the left, I'll get the one on the right, then, food."
serbii

Unread postby Wittgen » September 13th, 2011, 4:54 am

Beat the pidgeys to death with smoot's body.

Plot to steal/buy/trade for the other two starter pokemon.
Wittgen

Unread postby MrRigger2 » September 13th, 2011, 11:57 am

You look at Smoot, then back to the Pidgeys, then back to Smoot. You take a knee next to your Pokemon. "Well, you just going to let them peck at the pack or are you going to stop them from eating your lunch? If they eat it all, there won't be much for you."

Smoot's back begins to smoke and spark. "Remember Smoot, if you do not believe in yourself, believe in me, the one who believes in you. For your flame is the flame that it is destined to burn even Moltres! Now Smoot, your nourishment...your sustenance is threatened by Pidgeys...mere Pidgeys! GO FORTH SMOOT! GO FORTH AND MAKE THEM PAY!!

SMOOT! TACKLE ATTACK!!!"

Smoot's back erupts in an intense flame nearly a foot high. The little fire pokemon charges forward, striking the closer Pidgey square in the side, knocking it away from your backpack. The Pidgey starts to recover, but the second is already moving in with its own tackle attack. Smoot takes the attack head on, and gets pushed back.

"Smoot! You take the one on the left, I'll get the one on the right, then, food. Now, use your smokescreen attack to split them up."

Smoot takes a deep breath and exhales a dark cloud of noxious fumes, obscuring everyone's vision. But you have the advantage of expecting it to happen. You charge the still partially stunned Pidgey, waving your arms and shouting like a deranged madman or possibly a four year old at the park after a handful of pixie sticks.

The Pidgey takes in your frightening display and takes to the skies, deciding your backpack isn't worth the trouble. You turn back to see Smoot leering at the Pidgey. Still, the Pidgey wasn't backing down. It rushes forward, but Smoot leaps clear, easily dodging the attack. As the Pidgey skids to a stop, Smoot hits it from behind with another tackle attack. Dazed and about to collapse, the small bird struggles to get to his feet. Before Smoot can hit it with another tackle, you throw the Pokeball, striking the Pidgey full on. The Pokeball shifts briefly before settling down.

You walk over and pick it up. You wonder if you should keep it for yourself or send it to dad once you make it to Cherrygrove. Eh, you can decide on the road. After you eat. Chasing Smoot and then battling the Pidgey pair has definitely worked up an appetite.

0oOo0

You collapse into the chair at the Pokemon Center, exhausted from the day of traveling. Three Pokeballs stared back at you. Smoot had done well, protecting you from whatever pokemon were brave enough to attack you. The Pidgey hadn't seen much use, but that wasn't surprising with how weak it was after fighting with Smoot. However, the Pidgey had proved useful in weakening a Ledyba that had gotten close during your last rest before reaching town. Which brought you to the last Pokeball. The Ledyba inside had seemed more curious than anything when it had found you, more interested in figuring out what you were than attacking you, unlike the Pidgey and Sentret more common to the Route. Dad would be interested in a Pokemon as comfortable around humans as this one, but having a partner as naturally friendly as this one would be nice for you as well.

0oOo0

Your Party:

Smoot - Cyndaquil - Naughty Nature - Male
Unnamed - Pidgey - Adamant Nature - Male
Unnamed - Ledyba - Naive Nature - Female

For those of you who are interested in specific Pokemon on upcoming routes, let me know. Some nicknames for common/desired pokemon would be good as well.

MrRigger
Last edited by MrRigger2 on September 13th, 2011, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrRigger2

Unread postby ShonenHero » September 13th, 2011, 1:25 pm

I say give the Ledyba to your pops. They're cool looking pokemon, and a friendly one is awesome but they're not too effective in general. Then again, I'm not sure what Rigger is planning with general pokemon effectiveness and stuff like that. If our Ledbya grows up to be like other Ledyba, then yeah toss it. If not, keep it around.

Also, I'm in favor of naming our Pidgey Wright.
ShonenHero

Unread postby MrRigger2 » September 13th, 2011, 2:24 pm

I don't expect a team of EV trained perfectly natured pokemon. If that's the way it works out, fine, if not, that's fine too. And with regards to Pokemon Effectiveness, with good training, anything can be awesome. Look at Red Chocobo's Let's Plays. The Fire Red playthrough used a Gulpin as the starter, and the final team included a Wigglytuff and Persian. And The Crystal run used a Wooper as the mainstay of the team. Use whatever Pokemon you want, I'm sure you guys can make it work. Not having a team that can handle absolutely everything might make things more interesting, you never know.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby ShonenHero » September 13th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Hmm, then I think I'll change my suggestion! Screw dad, he can have the pidgey and we keep the friendly Ledyba for ourselves. :D
ShonenHero

Unread postby Vael » September 13th, 2011, 2:43 pm

I wanna keep the Pidgey...who here doesn't want to Fly on a Pidgeot?

Secondly, it's Adamant, it knows what it wants and by gum it will work until it gets it...*sniff*...that's my kinda Pokemon right there.

The Ledyba might cool for comedy though, since Smoot needs a victim, but honestly, it's Naive. Too friendly, too trusting, methinks Papa could use a kickass Poke-assistant.

I second nicknaming Pidgey to "Wright"
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Vael

Return to “%s” Quests