Pokemon Quest

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Re: Pokemon Quest

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 4th, 2012, 11:24 pm

Yes, but not this gym leader. Plus, as we get more powerful, so do the teams the gym leaders use.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby someone » November 5th, 2012, 6:19 am

Ice is weak vs. steel. (Ask Rose for permission first though)

Although she also uses water iirc.
someone

Unread postby JAGwin » November 5th, 2012, 8:35 am

Yes, but not this gym leader. Plus, as we get more powerful, so do the teams the gym leaders use.

oog: Oh. Now I got it.
JAGwin

Location: My Secret Lab... and even I'M not entirely sure where that is.

Unread postby gamebrain89 » November 5th, 2012, 4:14 pm

I'm personally against using Rocky on a Gym run. He isn't ours, we aren't going to have him very long, we don't know how well he will work with us. So I'd say no to that particular idea. Call up Fezzik, and use him along with Smoot, Dolly and Rampage. Rampage is a tactical risk due to his partial ground typing, yes, but worth it, and I think Smoot will be in a similar position with this particular opponent anyway.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby bookworm702 » November 8th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Gym Battle, wooo! Time for us to face down another powerful opponent. Another step up the mountain, where at the pinnacle waits the smoldering ruins of the Pokemon Syndicate, it's Admins and leaders thrown from the mountaintop to their rightful graves.

From a tactical perspective, Smoot is a given. Great against normal Ice types. A counter of a Water Pokemon can be met with Dolly. Should they counter Dolly with a Ground type, Fezzik should be able to take care of that. That should form a nice, basic strategy that we can modify during the fight if we have to. Let's kick some ice!
bookworm702

Unread postby MrRigger2 » November 8th, 2012, 1:35 pm

After waking up the next morning and sponging a few free cups of coffee off of the Pokemon Center, you ask the Nurse if she'd seen Rose.

"I don't remember seeing her come in last night," she yawns. "I've been on shift all night, so I would have seen her if she used a room. Maybe she camped outside last night?"

You shrug. "It's a possibility." Fits with what you know about the hyperactive girl. "Alright, I'll go look for her. If she comes in, let her know I was looking for her.

Once outside, you release Smoot and let him walk along beside you. He sniffs the air and looks at you. "I don't suppose you can track down Rose for me, could you?" He gives you an annoyed look. "Yeah, I know you aren't a Growlithe, but I had to ask. Just help me look."

Smoot is no tracker, but Rose can't have strayed far from Mahogany, right? Right?

Who are you kidding? With the way that girl runs, she could be halfway to Olivine by now.

Still, you know she wants Rocky back, so she shouldn't have gone anywhere, and after about twenty minutes of searching the woods around town, you find her asleep in a clearing, curled up on a Snorlax's belly.

"Rose!" you whisper-shout. "Rose! Wake up!" Snorlax can be dangerous. You've never seen one on a rampage yourself, but you've heard stories, especially about how grumpy they are when they're woken up unexpectedly. You don't want to take that chance.

You toss an acorn at Rose's head, and she finally stirs. She sits up, bleary-eyed, and looks around before spotting you. "Huh? What's going one? Is the sky falling?"

"What? No, we've got to get out of here, Rose, before that Snorlax you're sleeping on wakes up," you insist, making forceful "come on" gestures with your hands.

Rose shakes her head. "Naw, he's fine. Totoro is my buddy, I caught him in the woods when I was lost before I found you." She reaches over and knocks on his head. "Waaaaaaaaaaaake uuuuuuuuuuuup, Totoroooooooo!"

The Snorlax doesn't budge.

Rose laughs sheepishly. "Heh he. I guess all that dancing last night tuckered him out, but look, we got our berries to sprout! See!"

You look around your feet, and sure enough, there are a few seedlings poking up through the ground, just tiny stems and a pair of leaves. "And we only planted them last night, too!" Rose explains further.

You raise your eyebrows. "Wow, that actually is pretty impressive. Berries don't normally grow like that outside of special conditions."

"Eh, who cares about those?"

"Nature does, Rose."

"Pffft. Oh, today's the day! I get Rocky back! And you get Hogan back! Hurry up, Indigo, let's go, we need to get back to the Pokemon Center!"

0oOo0

With everybody's Pokemon back to their original owners, and Hogan moving considerably more gracefully on his new legs than he was yesterday, you head in the direction of the Mahogany Gym. The Gym is built into the side of a mountain, and once you get past the entryway, you're in natural caves.

You battle past the two Gym Trainers without much trouble, with Rose cheering you on. She's just along to watch, today, wanting to give her whole attention to rooting for you instead of worrying about having to fight right after.

Of course, you're not sure Rose ever gives anything less than her whole attention, even if she isn't able to give it to any one thing for very long.

You have to slide past a few floor patches covered in ice, but the puzzles aren't very difficult. Nothing worse than what you saw in the Ice Path.

Finally, you reach Lorelei, who is lounging at the back of the caves. "You finally made it, good, I was hoping you'd stop by today. If you can best my three Pokemon, I'll present you with the Glacier Badge. Shall we get started?"

Without waiting for you answer, or even for Rose to finish sitting down on the one small observation bench, Lorelei throws out her first Pokemon, a sleek Dewgong with sharp fangs.

0oOo0
Spoiler: show
Smoot - Quilava - Naughty Nature - Male - Level 33 - Blaze
Nessie - Lapras - Rash Nature - Female - Level 23 - Water Absorb
Dolly - Flaaffy - Jolly Nature - Female - Level 26 - Static
Rampage - Larvitar - Adamant Nature - Male - Level 25 - Guts
Hogan - Golem - Naive Nature - Male - Level 26 - Rock Head
Fezzik - Heracross - Docile Nature - Male - Level 25 - Guts

With Dad:

Deedee - Hoppip - Rash Nature - Female - Level 5 - Chlorophyll
Mary Jane - Oddish - Relaxed Nature - Female - Level 7 - Chlorophyll
Amaranthine - Grimer - Relaxed Nature - Female - Level 18 - Stench
Swagster - Poliwag - Docile Nature - Female - Level 24 - Damp
Geist - Haunter - Careful Nature - Male - Level 27 - Levitate
Edward - Golbat - Quirky Nature - Male - Level 22 - Inner Focus
Thea - Ledian - Naive Nature - Female - Level 27 - Early Bird
Hippolyta - Scyther - Adamant Nature - Female - Level 23 - Technician
Zatanna - Kadabra - Hasty Nature - Female - Level 20 - Synchronize
Bran - Murkrow - Quiet Nature - Male - Level 20 - Insomnia
Madoka - Chansey - Calm Nature - Female - Level 14 - Natural Cure

Reference Maps:
Johto
Route 42
Route 43
Route 44
Mahogany Town

Move List and Inventory
Now, I'm going to do something a little different than I have been doing. Rather than do an update for each part of the fight, I'm going to do the whole fight as one update, maybe two if it gets too long. What I want from you guys is a general battle strategy and Pokemon lineup. I've switched out Madoka for Fezzik, but if other changes to the lineup are desired and agreed upon, I'm willing to retcon it.

So, battle strategy and tactics. Lay em on me.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 8th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Lead with Dolly, spam Thunder Wave until we connect, then alternate Charge and Thundershock. If she swaps out for a pure ice-type then let Smoot go nuts, if she brings in something like Piloswine, then send out Fezzik and Brick Break, followed by Nessie if he goes down. Keep Rampage in reserve, and if we're forced to use him then set up a Sandstorm and then swap in Hogan to Rollout and over the mopup.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby JAGwin » November 8th, 2012, 2:49 pm

I agree with Tempest.
JAGwin

Unread postby gamebrain89 » November 8th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.
gamebrain89

Unread postby MrRigger2 » November 11th, 2012, 12:32 am

You hesitate for just a moment as you decide on your first Pokemon. Not too long though, don't want to second guess yourself. "Dolly, let's start it off! Thunder Wave!"

"Dewgong, Aurora Beam!"

Dewgong is faster, and Dolly is struck head on by the rainbow colored Ice attack. It doesn't put him down, though, and that's the important part. A crackle of electricity jumps from Dolly to Dewgong, locking up her muscles in paralysis.

"Dolly, Charge, then get ready for Thundershock!" Dolly crouches down on all fours and you can seen her wool glowing with a yellow charge.

"You'll have to do better than that to beat me. Or do you not even know who I am? Dewgong, Rain Dance."

Fighting through the paralysis, Dewgong begins writhing and spinning, and rain begins falling. You shiver as the rain soaks you from head to toe, and you begin to feel the cold of the cavern even more acutely. But as you wrench your attention away from the cold and back to the match, you see that Dewgong is moving without trouble.

You furrow your brow, and Lorelei chuckles mirthlessly. "Dewgong has a unique ability, Hydration, that allows it to heal any status effects in rainy weather. Status effects such as Paralysis. Dewgong, Encore"

Dewgong claps her hands together goofily, barking happily, and you see that Dolly is flattered. So flattered, she demonstrates Charge again, rather than release the stored electricity in a Thundershock attack.

"Dewgong, Ice Shard," Lorelei commands, and you wrack your brain for what you know about Lorelei. It isn't much. Still, there's something tickling at the back of your noggin, something only half-remembered.

Dewgong rears up and flash freezes the air around itself, then hurls the shards at Dolly blindingly fast. Dolly weathers the attack, but can only Charge again, visibly glowing with electricity now, but it's not doing her any good.

"Dewgong, put that Flaafy down with one last Ice Shard." Dewgong flash freezes the air again, and one of the shards catches Dolly across the forehead, knocking her out. As she hits the ground, the electricity in her wool discharges in a flash of light, and you grit your teeth.

"Holy crap. You just took out Dolly without taking a single hit. What are you?" you ask, mostly to yourself. You knew this was a Gym Match, but you weren't expecting this.

"I told you when we met the other day. I am a Master of Ice Pokemon. If you weren't ready for a fight with a Master, you shouldn't have come. But you're stalling. Chose your next Pokemon."

You check your options and make your decision. "Fezzik, your turn!"

The blue beetle hits the ground and flexes his arms menacingly. "Fezzik, Brick Break!"

"Dewgong, Aqua Jet!"

Dewgong rockets forward on a high-pressure stream of water, crashing into Fezzik with a watery tackle. Still, it doesn't put Fezzik off his stride, and he immediately retaliates with a punishing straight arm strike, and Dewgong recoils in pain.

"Dewgong, heal yourself with Rest," Lorelei orders, and Dewgong curls up on herself, falling asleep. The bruise left by Fezzik's attack fades as Dewgong enters the healing trance.

"Fezzik, quick, hit Dewgong with another Brick Break!" Fezzik rushes in and punches Dewgong again, knocking her back a few feet as the last of the rain rouses her from her healing trance.

Lorelei narrows her eyes behind her glasses. "Fine. Dewgong, Aurora Beam." The exhausted looking Dewgong lets loose with another rainbow colored beam, and Fezzik has to brace himself to keep from being blown back.

"Fezzik, finish Dewgong off with one last Brick Break!" You think you hear something crack as Fezzik's blow lands, and Lorelei grimaces.

"Hmm, you've made it past my first Pokemon. Not many are able to do that. Too bad you still aren't good enough to beat me. Jynx, take that Heracross out. Confusion."

Psychic waves assault Fezzik, and he clutches his head as he drops to his knees. Everything is still for a moment, then Fezzik falls forward, unconscious.

Lorelei smirks at you. "Next victim."

Damn. You run your hand over your belt, trying to figure out the next best choice. As you make your decision, something clicks at the back of your mind and you remember an old news report from your childhood. "Lorelei... weren't you part of the Elite Four?"

Something unreadable flashes over Lorelei's face. "That is the most popular theory about where I spent my younger days, yes. But supposing I did stick with the group after the Elite Four abandoned their position and attacked Kanto years ago, nobody has any cold, hard evidence that I was involved. And even if there were, the Pokemon League exonerated me of any possible charges when they decided I was needed here as Gym Leader. It's one of the reasons why I was willing to leave my home and come here at all. But again, you're stalling. Next. Victim."

"Smoot, Flame Charge!" Smoot explodes out of his Pokeball, and uses the momentum to crash into Lorelei's Jynx, fire flaring out from the impact.

"Jynx, Lovely Kiss." Jynx dives lips first for Smoot, planting a wet one on Smoot's nose. A wisp of energy drifts away as Jynx pulls back, and Smoot sprawls out on the cave floor, asleep.

"Dammit Smoot, wake up!" You shout as you search your bag for a Chesto Berry.

"Jynx, Confusion!" The Psychic move hits as you throw the Berry out at Smoot's snout. He shudders awake, but at least he's no longer helpless.

"Smoot, Flame Charge again!" Your Pokemon charges forward dutifully, and knocks Jynx off her feet. You can see some lingering burns left as Smoot backs off again.

"Jynx, Confusion! Put it down now!" Lorelei barks, but it doesn't matter. The burns left by Smoot's second attack are just enough to sap the last of Jynx's strength, and she sinks down into a pile of hair and dress.

"Impressive. You've beaten two of my three Pokemon and still have four of your own left." Lorelei recalls her unconscious Jynx and releases her last Pokemon, a beautiful Lapras. "Lapras, Water Pulse." Rings of mesmerizing water buffet Smoot and knock him out. "Well, three Pokemon left."

"Alright then, if you're using a Lapras... Nessie, let's do this!" Your own Lapras appears in a flash of light and song.

"Honestly, you seek to challenge me with an Ice Pokemon? Here I thought you were just unskilled, but apparently you're a fool as well. Lapras, Confuse Ray."

Lapras spits up a blob of multi-colored energy, and it sinks into Nessie's crown, confusing her. This could be bad. "Nessie, Sing!"

Nessie pushes through the confusion and starts singing a lullaby, and Lapras drifts off to sleep.

Lorelei calls for Lapras to wake up and begins to search through her pockets, and you shout another order to Nessie. "Nessie, Body Slam!"

Nessie charges for Lapras, but in her confusion, misses horribly and crashes into the wall, hurting herself. "Damn..."

Lorelei dashes out to where Lapras is sleeping, and you see her spritz her Pokemon with a Full Heal. The cure-all wakes Lapras up as Lorelei retreats to her side of the cavern, and you take the opportunity to shout at Nessie. "Try another Body Slam!"

Unfortunately, the order fails to pierce the fog confusing Nessie, and she hurts herself in confused thrashings.

"Lapras, Body Slam." Lorelei's Lapras rushes in as Nessie did a moment ago, but with more accuracy and strength. Nessie is knocked back across the icy floor, and lets out a cry that lets you know she's been temporarily paralyzed.

"Nessie, hit that Lapras with just the same!" Nessie charges forward, shaking off the confusion, but her muscles seize before she can land the hit, stopping her in her tracks.

"Lapras, finish it off. Body Slam." Lorelei's Pokemon crashes into yours one last time, and Nessie is out cold. You withdraw her, and know your chances are pretty much sunk.

"Well, challenger, are you going to keep going?" Lorelei mocks.

"Of course I am! I don't quit!" you snarl back. You throw out Rampage's Pokeball, and your Larvitar appears, ready to fight.

"Well perhaps you should, if that's your best option. Lapras, Water Pulse." The rings of confusion-inducing water crash into Rampage, and he goes down hard.

You're reluctant to even send in Hogan, but you just said you don't quit, and you've already come this far, you might as well finish the match. "Hogan, let's do it!"

Lorelei scoffs. "Another Rock/Ground type? After you just saw what I did to your other one? You're a stubborn kid, aren't you? Lapras, Water Pulse."

You watch Hogan take the hit straight on, and you hear Rose gasp as Hogan manages to hang on with just a bare sliver of energy left. You realize the way out, and hate yourself a little bit as you call out the order. "Hogan, Selfdestruct!"

Hogan curls his limbs in on his body and shafts of light begin escaping from the cracks in his rocky armor. A whine cuts through the air just before there's a thunderous explosion that you have to shield your eyes against.

The dust settles down and you look over the battlefield. Hogan is obviously unconscious, utterly exhausted, but he's not the only one. Lapras is out cold too.

The battle is over.

0oOo0
Smoot - Quilava - Naughty Nature - Male - Level 34 - Blaze
Fezzik - Heracross - Docile Nature - Male - Level 27 - Guts

With Dad:

Reference Maps:
Johto
Route 42
Route 43
Route 44
Mahogany Town

Move List and Inventory
Reactions?

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 11th, 2012, 12:39 am

Snarl under our breath. She wasn't even taking us seriously, it was three on six, and we still only managed a draw. We need to get in some more intense training. We also need to get our pokemon to the pokecenter ASAP. After we heal them, congratulate them on managing a draw against someone who has extremely powerful pokemon, and also apologize to both Hogan and Rampage for the situation you put them in.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby bookworm702 » November 11th, 2012, 7:13 am

Frown, but approach Lorelei, and extend our hand. "I'm not happy about how much I paid for it, but I guess I'll take it. You beat six of my Pokemon, and I beat three of yours."
bookworm702

Unread postby JAGwin » November 11th, 2012, 9:18 am

I agree with Tempest. But let's also see if we can figure out what the heck the person who decided making Lorelei a Gym Leader was a good idea was thinking... if they were even thinking at all.
JAGwin

Unread postby Joe » November 11th, 2012, 3:06 pm

I agree with Tempest and bookworm. We should also feel annoyed that we couldn't put on a better show for Rose. Then wonder why we're suddenly so eager to try and impress her.
Joe

Unread postby MrRigger2 » December 10th, 2012, 10:55 pm

"Grrrr..." you snarl under your breath. "So much for that..."

"Well done, Trainer. You're the first person to manage a draw against me since I took this position. However, per League rules, a tie against a Gym Leader is officially recorded as a loss for the challenging Trainer. I can't give you the Glacier Badge this time around. However, take a week to train, and feel free to challenge me again," She explains as she walks across the battlefield towards you.

"Well, I'm not happy about how much I paid for it, but I guess I'll take it. You beat six of my Pokemon, and I beat three of yours." You take a few steps forward and shake Lorelei's hand.

Suddenly, you're tackled from the side. "That was so cool, Indigo! Your Pokemon are really strong! I mean, I knew that, but now I got to see it and that was a great fight!"

You feel your face flush red with embarrassment. "Sorry I couldn't put on a better show for you. I wish I could have have shown you a win."

"If you'll excuse me, I should go heal my Pokemon," Lorelei interjects.

"Yeah, I need to too. Umm, Rose?" You glance down to where she still has you pinned in a bear hug.

"Oh, right, duh, of course you want to go get your team healed, you're a nice guy, and that's what nice guys do, they take care of their Pokemon, so come on, let's go let's go let's go!"

0oOo0

You gulp down a cup of coffee as Rose pesters Lorelei about anything and everything. One question catches your attention. "So how'd you become a Gym Leader anyway? Is there a test you have to take? Huh? Huh?"

Lorelei holds up her hand and glares at Rose until she stops talking. "Are you done?"

Rose nods.

"Good. I said I didn't mind answering a few questions, but if I'm going to, you need to shut up long enough for me to answer them. No, I didn't have to take a test. If the situation were different, perhaps, but the people in charge knew all too well how strong I am. No, once it became apparent that no other Trainer strong enough to take the open position was willing to do so, the Pokemon League began wooing those that they knew were powerful enough to take on the duties. Eventually, I was the one they decided to go with."

"But you were a criminal with the Elite Four," you protest. "Why would they want you as a Gym Leader?"

Lorelei laughs. "Oh, if you only knew. As I said earlier, there is no conclusive evidence that I was ever involved in any crimes. Those two out in Kanto practically flaunted their crimes, and they still hold their positions to this day. No, whatever I may have done, the people in charge obviously decided they would rather have me on their side than someone else's. And once they pledged to station additional protection in my hometown, I obliged them. Besides, it's easy enough work. Most of the challengers who come to see me scarcely know what they're doing. You were the first good match I've had in a while. Even the competent challengers rarely get me to pull out three of my Pokemon. They're soft, they've never had to fight for real. But you have, haven't you?" She waves a negligent hand. "Bah, no matter. Now, it appears that my team is healed again, so I'll be off. I'll be at the Gym if you need anything."

You go and collect your team from the Nurse at the desk, draining your coffee as you do. "Hey, hey, Indigo, I'm gonna go challenge Lorelei! It looked like you had so much fun I want to give it a try and I know I'd win if you were there to cheer me on so pleeease?" Rose pleads with puppy dog eyes.

You aren't quite sure what to say. You aren't exactly eager to go charging back into the Gym right after your defeat, and you were hoping to get straight to training your team now that they're healed, but Rose did cheer you on during your challenge.

0oOo0

With Dad:

Reference Maps:
Johto
Route 42
Route 43
Route 44
Mahogany Town

Move List and Inventory
So, what'll it be? Straight to training, or watch Rose challenge Lorelei?

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 10th, 2012, 10:59 pm

Fair is fair; Rose cheered us on, the least we can do is cheer her on. And who knows, we may get some new strategies out of the battle.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby gamebrain89 » December 10th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Aye. As crazy as Rose is,she's pulled us out of some nasty situations, and she's our friend. and we stand by our friends.
gamebrain89

Unread postby Joe » December 11th, 2012, 5:18 am

Let's cheer Rose on.
Joe

Unread postby Wittgen » December 11th, 2012, 6:26 am

Cheer for Lorelei.
Wittgen

Unread postby JAGwin » December 11th, 2012, 8:26 am

Cheer Rose on.
JAGwin

Unread postby someone » December 11th, 2012, 10:20 am

Cheer.
someone

Unread postby shadowspiri5 » December 11th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Let us cheer for Rose!
If at first you don't succeed kill it with fire! Because why not?
shadowspiri5

Unread postby ShonenHero » December 12th, 2012, 9:51 am

Ahhh, I get Witt's plan; cheer for the tsundere so that we melt her icy heart and get dere! If Rose wasn't such a good friend, I'd have gone with that suggestion. That being said, lets cheer for Rose. :P
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby MrRigger2 » December 20th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Cheer for Rose it is.

0oOo0

"Yeah, yeah, I'll come cheer you on. It's only fair. Just let me talk to my Pokemon about the battle first."

"Okie-dokie!"

You grab your Pokeballs and head outside. One by one, you release them and congratulate them on a hard fought fight, with a serious apology to Hogan for making him blow himself up. Once you feel everyone has been sufficiently congratulated, you head back in the direction of the Gym. Rose is waiting for you at the entrance, bouncing up and down with energy.

"Come on come on, let's go!" Rose grabs your hand and drags you into the Gym, pulling you through to where Lorelei is waiting.

"Well, that didn't take long. I thought I said you couldn't challenge me for another week."

"Hey, I'm just here as the cheering section. She's the one you're fighting now," you reply, pointing at Rose.

"Yep! It looked like so much fun that I wanted to give it a shot!"

"Very well then. Choose your first Pokemon." Lorelei steps back to her position and releases her Dewgong.

"Alrighty then, Bouncy, let's do it!" Rose whips out a Pokeball and a Hitmonlee appears in front of her, bouncing from leg to leg. "Hi Jump Kick!"

Bouncy leaps high into the air, angling down to crash into Dewgong with a powerful kick. Dewgong takes the hit like a champ, but it clearly hurt him.

"Dewgong, retaliate with Aurora Beam!"

That familiar rainbow beam strikes Bouncy straight on, covering him in a layer of frost. Rose shouts back, "Bouncy, hit him with another Hi Jump Kick!" The Hitmonlee leaps high again, but this time Dewgong is able to writhe out of the way of the hit. But with the momentum, Bouncy couldn't stop the attack in time and crashed into the ground, cracking the floor and showering him in icy shards of rock. Rose gasps. "Oh no, Bouncy!"

"Dewgong, use Brine to finish him off." Dewgong spews a gout of salty water at Bouncy, seeping into his fresh cuts and hurting him even more than the attack normally would. Bouncy wavers, and collapses to the ground, his limbs splayed out at all angles.

"Come on Rose, keep it together, it's still early!" you shout, trying to be encouraging.

Rose retracts the unconscious Hitmonlee, and throws out another Pokeball. "Flasher, let's do it!"

A blue and yellow fish Pokemon with glowing yellow lures hanging from his antenna slides across the ice. 'Not a bad choice,' you think to yourself, clapping to cheer Rose on.

"Flasher, start off with Spark!" The Lanturn sheathes itself in electricity and rams into Dewgong, the electricity grounding out through Dewgong's body, leaving it twitching from the shock.

"Hmph. Dewgong, fill this room with Hail." Dewgong twists back and forth in a jerky, hard dance, and heavy hail swirls through the room, pelting everyone with painful ice.

"Flasher, he's almost down, hit him with another Spark!" Flasher tackles Dewgong again, the shock enough to knock her out this time.

Lorelei recalls her Dewgong and sends out her next Pokemon. The Jynx stands there, swaying in the Hail, staring icily at Flasher. "Jynx, start off with Confusion." Psychic waves of energy hammer Flasher and he wavers on the icy floor. He starts teetering back and forth, clearly confused.

"Come on Flasher, keep it together! Hit that Jynx with Bubblebeam!" The command must have made it through the psychic fog and freezing hail, because Flasher covers Jynx in a torrent of violently popping bubbles.

"Alright Rose, you've got this, come on!"

"Jynx, Doubleslap." Jynx shuffles forward and lays a vicious slap across Flasher's nose, then comes back across with a backhand. Then another. Then another. Then another.

At the end of the barrage, Flasher sinks to one side and doesn't move again. "No, Flasher! Darnit!" You see Rose slump her shoulders.

"Keep your head in the game, Rose, there's plenty of fight left!"

Rose perks up at your cheer, and throws out her next Pokemon. "Totoro, let's do this!"

"Jynx, Sweet Kiss." Jynx dives for the Snorlax, lips puckered and leading the charge, but Totoro dances out of the way of the kiss, the attack missing.

"Totoro, Belly Drum!" The rotund Snorlax bounces from one leg to the other, slapping his enormous stomach gleefully, his health dropping but his attack power skyrocketing.

"An interesting tactic, but you're too slow for it to work! Jynx, Ice Punch!" Jynx rushes in, fist drawn back and surrounded by a swirl of icy energy. The punch lands home and the freezing punch rocks Totoro back on his heels.

But it's not quite enough to put him down.

"Totoro, Rest!" Totoro looks relieved to have the chance to sleep, and immediately rolls onto his back, out like a light.

"Jynx, Wake Up Slap." Jynx jumps at Totoro, using the force of her fall to put more power behind the hit. You do a quick calculation in your head. Doubled power because he was asleep, doubled power because the move was super effective, and the residual damage from the weather...

Damn. And it looks like a critical hit, too.

"Not Totoro too! No! No, no, no!"

"Oh yes. Save yourself the trouble, and resign the battle. No more of your Pokemon have to get hurt."

Rose glares at Lorelei. "No way, I don't give up! Midnight, take that mean old Jynx down!"

The Umbreon explodes into action, dashing across the ice. "Midnight, Pursuit!" Midnight slams his shoulder into the Jynx's stomach, fighting dirty, then dancing away.

"Jynx, Fake Tears." Jynx begins sobbing wildly, shocking Midnight with the display.

"Midnight, make her cry for real! Use Pursuit again!" Midnight hits Jynx with another low blow, knocking her off her feet and leaving her unconscious.

"Well well, two exceptional Trainers in the same day. This is unusual. But you're still not good enough. Lapras, let's go. Ice Beam."

Lapras rears back and a ball of blue-white energy gathers in her mouth. The icy energy fires straight at Midnight, catching her square on, blasting her backwards across the ice. Combined with the Fake Tears lowering her Special Defense, Midnight is already looking worse for the wear.

"Midnight, slow that meanie-pants down with Confuse Ray!" Midnight dances a twisting pattern across the floor and ends with a flip that fires a familiar blob of energy at Lapras, confusing her.

"Lapras, finish it with another Ice Beam." The order penetrates the confusion, and Midnight goes skidding across the ice again, this time ending in an undignified sprawl, unconscious.

Rose actually growls at Lorelei. "Now you're making me angry! Rocky, let's do it!" The massive steel snake scrapes his head against the ceiling of the Gym as he's released, and even coiled up, he dominates the entire cavern with his size.

"Lapras, drown him with Water Pulse!" Lorelei doesn't get lucky twice, however, and Lapras chokes on the attack, hurting herself.

"Quick Rocky, Rock Throw!" The Steelix rumbles and opens his cavernous mouth, firing a handful of rocks at Lapras. They all strike home, knocking her around, but also knocking her out of her confusion.

"Lapras, use Water Pulse again!" This time, Lapras fires the disorienting ring of water with ease, and it slams into Rocky.

"Rocky, slow it down with Rock Tomb!" Rocky slithers in to drop rocks directly on top of Lapras, restricting her movement, but the blue Pokemon is too swift, and the attack misses.

"Lapras, finish it, Water Pulse one last time!" Having moved in close, Rocky never has a chance to dodge the Water attack. Already damaged, it's too much for him, and he collapses with a thundering crash.

"You've got one Pokemon left, little girl. Do you really think you can finish this fight on top?" Lorelei taunts.

"I guess we're about to find out! Aroma, I choose you!" A yellow and green Bayleef appears, head lowered and leaf whipping back and forth irritably. "Aroma, Razor Leaf!"

The Bayleef spins the leaf on her head like a helicopter, and a shower of razor sharp leaves slice across Lapras's body. Lapras shudders in pain, and you can see blood start to drip from a few of the cuts.

"Lapras, retaliate with Ice Beam!"

You wince. Between the sheer power behind the attack and the fact that Grass Pokemon are weak to Ice, you aren't sure Aroma will even be able to take one of those attacks.

After the attack subsides, you see Aroma struggling to get back to her feet. Rose is flustered, you can tell. "Come on, just a little more!" you shout.

"Aroma, heal yourself with Synthesis!" The Bayleef concentrates and you can see the icy patches covering her skin mostly disappear.

"Sorry kid, not enough. Ice Beam!" This time, Aroma doesn't stand a chance. The Ice attack overwhelms her entirely and blasts her back to Rose's feet.

"Dammit!" you curse. You were really hoping Rose would be able to beat Lorelei, but apparently it wasn't in the cards. You run out from the stands to where Rose is withdrawing Aroma.

"Good job, Rose, you really fought well out there," you say, patting her on the back. Rose jumps at your touch, then grabs you in a tight hug.

"I wanted to win so much, but she's really strong..." she says into your jacket.

"Hey, I know, I lost against her too."

"Hmph. You know, if you had attacked that last turn instead of trying to heal, you might have won, you know. Lapras was low on health, and weak to your Grass attacks," Lorelei says as she walks over.

Rose breaks away from you. "Yeah, but Aroma was hurt, and I couldn't just let her be in pain like that! My Pokemon trust me to take care of them, and that's what I've got to do."

"Your Bayleef still ended up unconscious. Learn from your mistakes, don't make excuses for them. I'll give you the same conditions as your friend. You may challenge me again in one week. Let's see how much you can learn in that time."

"Well I will! I'm gonna train and train and in a week, I'm gonna come back here and beat you, just you wait!"

"I look forward to it. Now I believe your Pokemon need a visit to the Pokemon Center."

0oOo0

Rose is silent and still as she waits for her Pokemon to heal. You try to get her to talk, but she won't look up from her danish. For a girl who's never stopped moving or talking since you met her, it's unsettling.

"Come on, Rose, it's not the end of the world. And in a week, we're gonna go and beat her, both of us. We know how she fights now, and we can prepare for it. What'd'ya say, huh?"

Rose doesn't respond right away, but puts her food back down. "I say... I say, if we're gonna beat her, we need to train like never before, huh? We oughta train together, out where no one's gonna interrupt us, away from town. Can we do that?"

0oOo0

With Dad:

Reference Maps:
Johto
Route 42
Route 43
Route 44
Mahogany Town

Move List and Inventory
Yes? No? If yes, where do you want to go? Do you want to keep this same team, or switch something up?

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby gamebrain89 » December 20th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Yeah, go for it. Maybe switch Rampage or Hogan for Zatanna. Sure we don't have a type advantage there, but neither will she, and even without that Zatanna can still hit pretty hard with her STAB psychic stuff. and maybe if the training goes well enough we can get Rose to do another temp trade, if she has another pokemon that she'd like to evolve.
gamebrain89

Return to “%s” Quests