Pilgrim Quest

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Re: Pilgrim Quest

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » January 21st, 2012, 8:52 pm

Attempting to Seal right now would probably kill us.
Using the Words of Sealing would not kill you in your current state, but doing so would knock you unconscious.
I want to get a bit more of a consensus (i.e. at least two people who at least kind of agree on what to do) before writing the next post, all right?
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » January 24th, 2012, 7:26 pm

My apologies for the double-post, but I decided that no one else was going to vote. Since none of you seem to quite agree on what to do, I have only one solution: you shall do ALL OF IT!
------
You pull back on your staff, hoping to yank the blond man off-balance, but the tendrils merely stretch to cover the distance. You let go of the staff and attempt to punch him, but the darkness around your arms stops you. Next you try to kick him, but the man laughs and slides rapidly backward, away from your blow, the dark tendrils again stretching to continue to hold you back.
You are trapped, the dark tendrils slowly creeping closer and closer to your neck... and are they speeding up? You feel more of them begin to crawl up your legs, and you shiver with the cold and with your own helplessness.
“Who are you?” you ask softly.
“I am the mighty wizard Joakim Vern,” he answers proudly.
Typical wizardly arrogance.
“What are you doing here?” you demand more loudly.
“I see no reason to explain all the esoteric details to you,” Joakim replies. “You would not understand them in any case, little pilgrim.”
His tone indicates hatred for your entire profession.
“Suffice it to say that whatever claptrap legends your kind may have about the Mirayuki Shrine, it is fact that there is power underneath it. Power that I have tapped.”
This, this is the worst thing about wizards. They claim that the pilgrims dislike them because they are jealous of their magic and so declare it an abomination, but the truth is that pilgrims have no problem with the Will. It is a perfectly natural form of magic; there is nothing wrong with using it. No, the problem pilgrims have with wizards is that wizards do not believe in the Fell. The standard curriculum at all of the most prestigious wizard schools, and most of the less-prestigious ones, explicitly teaches that the Fell are merely a legend, no more real than bedtime stories about a sky chariot pulled by pegasi that appears only in times of need.
“That power will destroy you,” you whisper.
The tendrils are getting close to your neck. You have no more time. You must act, now, or die.
In desperation you speak the Words of Sealing, their clear tones ringing through the forest and in your mind. But the part in your mind seems distorted... wrong. You feel a surge of power. You feel the tendrils begin to reverse their motion. You hear the wizard screaming. You sense the World comply with your commands and rearrange itself according to your Word.
And then you feel the pain as it strikes back at you for daring to order it so. The pain is brief, thankfully, for you soon fall unconscious.
But something is wrong.
The last thing you hear is the wizard’s screaming turning into maddened laughter.

You wake up all at once, though the sudden return to consciousness leaves you a little disoriented. You lie still for a little while, staring at the wooden ceiling not that far above you.
“You woke up pretty quick,” a voice says near you, a trace of an accent you are not familiar with burring his speech. “Do you feel all right?”
You look in the direction of the voice and see the dark-haired young man from earlier watching you with concern. You also see that the walls and floor are also wooden.
“Sore,” you mutter, sitting up. You are lying on the floor, though at least the youngling was thoughtful enough to make a makeshift pillow out of your spare clothing.
“Ah- easy,” the young man cautions, coming closer in case you need help. “You collapsed...”
“Backlash,” you mumble, and put a hand to your head. It aches. Your whole body aches, as if you ran for miles and then got into an unarmed brawl which you lost. “The World hates to be told what to do.”
You look around. You are in a small, square room. In the center of one wall is a double door, currently closed. The other three walls have windows in their centers. Lamps, currently unlit, are hung in the corners. And in the very center of the room is a large, circular stone with intricate patterns carved into it... and a huge crack splitting it in twain.
Your eyes widen. No black ooze. No coldness. No deep unease. The daylight streaming through the windows is as bright as it should be. You feel no sense of wrongness. And yet, something is very wrong, because you can think of only one explanation.
“Oh no,” you whisper.
This is the Mirayuki Shrine.
The seal is broken.
And the Fell are already free.

What do you do?

Inventory:
Spoiler: show
Equipped:
Traveling Clothes: trousers, undershirt, overtunic, rope belt, straw hat, walking boots
Walking Staff: sturdy, can be leaned on or used as a weapon
Glasses: without these, your vision could generously be described as ‘bad’
Hairtie: keeps your hair out of your eyes
In your backpack:
Food: enough to last you five days, most of it bread and dried fruit
Flask: contains enough drinkable water to last you six days
Tinder and flint: to start fires with
Knife: a sharp implement suitable for cutting things or striking against the flint to make sparks; using it as a weapon is possible, but not recommended
Wooden Case: contains a spare pair of glasses, in case yours break
Spare Clothes: spare trousers, shirt, and tunic
Extra Hairties: in case one breaks or is lost; you have two
The Word:
You can currently take up to 5 points of backlash without consequence. At 5 or more points of backlash, you are weakened. At 10 or more points of backlash, you fall unconscious for a period of time every time you use the Word. At 15 points of backlash, you die.
You have taken 12 points of backlash so far.
Words Known:
Comprehension: Allows you to understand any creature. Backlash 2.
Repairing: Perform minor repairs on an object. Backlash 1.
Sealing: Maintain the seals that bind the Fell. Backlash 4. You also know how to construct such seals, but you are not yet powerful enough to do so without severely hurting yourself (Backlash 10).
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 24th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Panic.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 24th, 2012, 7:31 pm

Ask the boy what happened before you got there, and find out who he is. And do this as we start gathering our things and heading for the local chapter house or cloister or whatever we call it. The other pilgrims MUST be warned before it's too late.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby bookworm702 » January 24th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Panic is good. Shaking, loud denials, possibly vomiting. That should continue for a while. After that, get the down low on this other guy.
bookworm702

Unread postby gman391 » January 25th, 2012, 3:07 am

Well...crap. Note to self don't suggest sealing anymore.

Um...panic briefly and then ask other guy what just happened.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby SynzofGlikus » January 26th, 2012, 2:55 am

I think we should repair the seal on the temple if we can, we can't have sealed all the fey under it into that one wizard otherwise I think we wouldn't be alive currently. If all the fey are sealed into him and we can't help at the temple lets run to the Pilgrim high council and find out what happened on the way from our new friend.
“My dear friends,” said the king, “we have come a long way… yet our journey has only just begun. Our species is young on this planet. Today we are like children again. The future lies open before us. We shall go into this future and try to do better than we have done in the past. We have time now – time to get things right, time to grow up, time to learn from our mistakes, time for the slow process of building a better world, and time to get settled in it.
The True Fable
SynzofGlikus

Unread postby ShonenHero » January 28th, 2012, 2:21 pm

I agree with Tempest and Synzo's suggestions since they're the most sensible of the lot besides panic. :P Though hey, we could always panic after we let the details and full realization of what's been done sink into us.
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » February 6th, 2012, 5:11 am

Since that was your first post, welcome to the forum, SynzofGlikus!
My apologies for taking so long to get this up, everyone. The beginning of the school year and the spell creation system for Scholomance sucked up most of my energy for the past two weeks.
------
Your first reaction is panic.
“No no no,” you babble as you scramble to your feet. “This is not happening. Not possible. No, no, ohhh no. I am in so much trouble. Malice and mercies, the elders will be furious-”
Your panicked babbling is cut off by a soft touch on your arm. The boy looks at you with troubled eyes.
“Calm down,” he says softly. “You need to rest.”
“I do not have time to rest!” you snap, whirling to look around the room. “I need to warn the others!”
There! Your bag! You snatch up the clothes you were using as a pillow and rush over to pick up your other belongings, stuffing the clothes into the backpack before slinging it on.
“A-at least wait until the replacement gets here!” the boy pleads.
You pause at that.
“Replacement?”
He nods.
“...What happened before I arrived?” you ask.
“M-my teacher fought the wizard,” the boy whispers in a choked voice. “And... and the wizard k-killed him.”
You put one hand on Matthias’s shoulder in an awkward attempt at comfort. It seems to work somewhat, as he relaxes a little.
“Who are you, anyway?” you inquire more gently.
“My name is Matthias,” he replies, “initiate druid.”
You nod.
“Can you tell me what happened after I passed out?”
“The Dark in the Wild became one with the wizard,” the boy whispers, “and the wizard laughed. Then he said, ‘Thank you, little pilgrim, for helping me with my efforts. For your assis-’ assistins? ‘- I will let you live.’ And he started walking west. I called for a... for another druid, then brought you here and waited for you to wake up...”
You shudder. Being thanked by the wizard... is a very, very bad sign. You think fast. Druids always call the Fell the Dark in the Wild. They never explain why. From the sound of it, instead of resealing them properly, the Words you spoke sealed the Fell into the wizard. You know the sealing is more complicated than that, but you had a bad habit of falling asleep in your lessons on theory, and do not know all the particulars. The elders, however, will know exactly what happened... exactly how badly you erred. You resist the urge to gulp fearfully.
“So this ‘replacement’ you mentioned is a replacement... druid?” you ask.
“Yes... to guard the shrine and care for the forest,” Matthias explains quietly.
“How long will it take them to arrive?”
“It depends on how far they have to travel, but they should be here within a day. The Wild will rearrange us to get one here quick. Please, you are still tired... rest a while, so you can be strong for the journey.”

You have to tell the other pilgrims what happened, but you feel shaky and weak still from the World’s punishments. You are unlikely to get far in this state. If you rest for a day, you will be better able to travel.

Do you wait?

Inventory:
Equipped:
Traveling Clothes: trousers, undershirt, overtunic, rope belt, straw hat, walking boots
In your backpack:
Knife: a sharp implement suitable for cutting things or striking against the flint to make sparks; using it as a weapon is possible, but not recommended
The Word:
You can currently take up to 5 points of backlash without consequence. At 5 or more points of backlash, you are weakened. At 10 or more points of backlash, you fall unconscious for a period of time every time you use the Word. At 15 points of backlash, you die.
You have taken 12 points of backlash so far.
Words Known:
Sealing: Maintain the seals that bind the Fell. Backlash 4. You also know how to construct such seals, but you are not yet powerful enough to do so without severely hurting yourself (Backlash 10).
Last edited by Aldraia Dragonsong on February 6th, 2012, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby gman391 » February 6th, 2012, 5:13 am

Hmm..wait half a day see if we feel any better. If we do get going, if not wait some more.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Darkandus » February 6th, 2012, 12:39 pm

We can't do anything as we are.

Let us ask the initiate druid if he can get an animal to carry a message to the Pilgrims.
Darkandus

Unread postby SynzofGlikus » February 6th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Thank ye Aldraia I am sure it was entirely school and Scholomance slowing you down and no other factor had any influence at all. We welcome your hard fought effort to making Headmaster Slamu's job even slightly easier ;)

Darkandus has a good plan lets go with that ^^; hard to determine what is the most time efficient option if we don't ask first.
“My dear friends,” said the king, “we have come a long way… yet our journey has only just begun. Our species is young on this planet. Today we are like children again. The future lies open before us. We shall go into this future and try to do better than we have done in the past. We have time now – time to get things right, time to grow up, time to learn from our mistakes, time for the slow process of building a better world, and time to get settled in it.
The True Fable
SynzofGlikus

Unread postby NotreallyHere » February 6th, 2012, 6:39 pm

We should slit our wrists. Death is better than a world were an Eldrich Abomination is loose. :panic:
You never want to be in a fair fight if an unfair fight is an option." Forrest Griffin - Be Ready When The Sh*t Goes Down (A Survival Guide To The Apocalypse)

Little brother - “who is organization XIII”
Me – “meh, bunch a nobodies”
NotreallyHere

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » February 6th, 2012, 6:59 pm

*Stuffs NRH into a sack and then puts it in a corner* Ignore the emo-voice. We'll wait, recuperate as much as we can, and then make all speed for the Masters.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » February 7th, 2012, 4:38 am

New rule: Suicide is never an option.
------
You set your pack down again, convinced by Matthias’s reasoning.
“All right.”
Matthias breathes a sigh of relief.
“Thank you.”
You sit down and lean against the wall of the shrine, exhaustion surfacing now that the first surge of panic is fading.
“Matthias,” you ask tiredly, “would it be possible – could you send a message to the pilgrims ahead of me?”
Matthias considers it a moment, then shakes his head sadly.
“Pilgrims cannot hear the Wild, so I would have to send a messenger, and you and I are the only creatures left in these woods,” he explains gently.
“Did the wizard-?”
“Not... direct. When... when my teacher died... most of the animals fled. W-when the seal started to crack... the remainder did too.”
You sigh. So much for that plan.
“Then I suppose there is nothing to do but wait.”
You close your eyes, just for a moment...

When you awaken, it is dark outside, and Matthias has fallen asleep with his head on your shoulder. You debate trying to move, but see no urgent need to do so, and so simply wait. It is not as though you want to go traveling in the dark. You notice that you feel much better; the deep exhaustion has left you and you feel quite yourself again.
Matthias awakens just as the sky is beginning to lighten in preparation for dawn. Not seeming to notice the awkward position he fell asleep in, he slips out of the shrine. You gather your things up and follow him.
Matthias faces the east, his back to you, humming softly. You quietly put your hat and backpack on properly, not sure what is going on, but sensing that it would be rude to interrupt.
The sun soon rises, bright rays spilling over the low hills in the east. Matthias turns to face you, looking calmer than when you saw him last.
“She should be here soon.”
“She?”
“The new druid. She will arrive today, in the morning if all goes well, with her apprentice.”
“Ah... well... good?”
Matthias fidgets a little, the awkwardness of a half-grown man returning.
“I-I wanted to ask you a favor,” he blurts out.
“What is it?” you ask.
“May I come with you?”

Your response?

Inventory:
Equipped:
In your backpack:
The Word:
You have taken 0 points of backlash so far.
Words Known:
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby gman391 » February 7th, 2012, 5:04 am

*Rubs back of head nervously* Elders are already going to be unhappy with us. Not sure if a druid would help or hurt.

"Why would you want to come with me? Don't you have a new teacher coming soon? Come to think of it why is the new druid bringing an apprentice anyway?"
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby SynzofGlikus » February 7th, 2012, 5:49 am

^^ I don't think a druid would come to the wild where a druid had just been slain without some kind of backup.
I think we should let him come but tell him to travel at arms length. Not take him deep into The Pilgrim High Council chambers with us but let him stay if he chooses.
The True Fable
SynzofGlikus

Unread postby bookworm702 » February 9th, 2012, 4:27 pm

Smile happily. It's not often we get to have companions on a pilgrimage. "It would be a pleasure, Matthew."
bookworm702

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » February 10th, 2012, 3:19 am

Your first reaction is, “Why would you want to come with me?”
Matthias looks down.
“I have to leave the forest... I would rather not do so alone.”
“Why do you have to... because the new druid already has a student. Druids only take one at a time, right?”
Matthias nods.
“I need another teacher. Until I find one, or the Wild finds one for me – and sometimes, it is hard to tell which is which – but anyway, until then, I would like to travel with you. I-if that is all right.”
You smile at him.
“It would be a pleasure, Matthias.”
Matthias looks up and grins.
“She is almost here. We can leave now.”
That suits you just fine.

As you return, at a somewhat hastier pace, down the road you so recently traveled in the opposite direction, you notice the black dog from before.
The dog, hearing your approach, turns around, barks joyfully, and runs towards you.
Matthias... barks back.
You have heard that druids can speak to animals, but this is the first you have seen of it.
“Friend of yours, Matthias?” you ask.
He nods.
“An old friend, from before I joined the druids. I call him Blackie.”
Blackie barks again and licks Matthias’s hand.
You shrug, and the three of you continue on.

You are settling down for the night two days later when Blackie barks a warning.
You snatch up your staff, whirling to look in all directions quickly, and soon see the cause of the dog’s distress: three people are approaching. One is a young man, probably a few years older than you, one is a young girl even younger than Matthias, and one is an old woman. They walk strangely, meandering off in random directions and gradually reconverging.

You may retroactively ask any questions you wish of Matthias regarding Blackie, in addition to reacting to this new occurrence.

Inventory:
Equipped:
In your backpack:
The Word:
You have taken 0 points of backlash so far today.
Words Known:
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby gman391 » February 10th, 2012, 3:20 am

Hmm...being Leeroy Jenkins hasn't worked for us so far...approach cautiously.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » February 10th, 2012, 9:14 am

Does anything seem... "off" about these three, aside from the way they're walking?

Also, "So, how long have you known Blackie?"
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Darkandus » February 10th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Going to agree with Tempy.
Darkandus

Unread postby SynzofGlikus » February 18th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Definitely be friendly ^^
The True Fable
SynzofGlikus

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » March 28th, 2012, 2:31 am

My apologies for the long delay. School has been vexaciously time-consuming lately. I regret to say that this occurrence is likely to be repeated.
------

On the road.
“So, how long have you known Blackie?” you ask curiously.
“Years,” Matthias replies. “Since before I was initiated, like I said. I found him as a puppy and he stuck with me after that.”

At the camp.
Aside from their meandering approach, nothing strikes you as especially odd about the strangers. You approach with caution.
“Hello?” you call in their direction.
The man turns and runs away. The girl stops walking and begins to dance.
“Hyarinia markolo aduri maflantri!” the old woman yells at you, waving her arms in agitation. Her voice twists and echoes oddly, in a way that sounds almost familiar, though the words themselves mean nothing to you.

What would you like to do now?

Inventory:
Equipped:
In your backpack:
The Word:
You have taken 0 points of backlash so far today.
Words Known:
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby SynzofGlikus » March 28th, 2012, 2:44 am

Cast comprehend on so you can understand what the Woman is saying but if you sense the girl turns out to be casting some kind of dance magic then hide behind a tree while you figure out what to do. The girl might also require a Hair Tie to dance unhindered by her locks of hair ;).
The True Fable
SynzofGlikus

Return to “%s” Quests