Let's Play: Golden Sun

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Re: Let's Play: Golden Sun

Unread postby MEKristian » October 7th, 2012, 10:41 am

Well, as our amazing group is now three members strong, I suppose we should pose as a team and such.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Flux_Blade » October 9th, 2012, 1:09 pm

As usual nice update, though have to agree about Garet, why not burn the vines down?
Still proud owner of no avatar.

Digimon Quest, it's back. Clicky.
Flux_Blade

Unread postby Joe » January 23rd, 2013, 8:48 pm

Spoiler: show
You join us as our heroes use their awesome powers of nature to remove a barrier made of pure ivy. As this cave appears to be the only direct passage between Vault and Bilbin I can only imagine that non adepts would have no choice but to… use any kind of sharp object to cut through it.

ImageImage
I’m sure entire dissertations would be required to explain how caves barren of everything but rock and water can sustain multiple species of wildly different creatures in vast numbers.

ImageImage
Time was, I could navigate this cave on pure reflex due to long hours of playing this game over and over again.

I… I just depressed myself.

ImageImage
Heading north leads to the exit, but we need to cross back over to the right side of the river and there currently isn’t another platform.
So instead we’ll climb up the steps that have conveniently been carved into the stone throughout the cave. I note, with some disapproval, that they didn’t think to add some disabled access as well. What are any differently abled adventurers supposed to do?

ImageImageImageImage
I took far too many screenshots of me just wandering around a cave. Anyway, our first fire djinn is relaxing in this cave and has no idea that we’re going to enslave it to boost our own powers very shortly.

ImageImageImageImage
You could be playing ‘Kingdom Hearts VD’ or ‘A Shinobi in Star Wars’; instead you’re looking at screenshots of virtual spelunking. I just want you all to know that I deeply appreciate your poor judgement and you will be rewarded with some vaguely interesting content before the end of the update.

ImageImageImageImageImage
As you may have guessed, we’ve just bridged some water; or possibly crushed any fellow travellers wandering about below.

Lucky medals won’t be relevant for many, many hours, but the rewards are worth them taking up an inventory space for the bulk of the game.

ImageImageImage
The astonished looking fellow would have told us that he fought the djinn but it got away and returned there, had we deigned to talk to him. Basically, he’s there to reassure new players that you won’t lose it for good if it flees in battle.

ImageImage
If you check the standby djinn readout, you’ll note that I entered this battle prepared.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Forge raises the attack stats of the entire party.

ImageImageImageImage
I’ll accept someone coming to the cave and carving steps and installing ladders. I do wonder why they set up all these convinient logs to allow access, but didn’t bother to put them into position. I’m going to blame the ancients; maybe they practised here before they built Sol Sanctum.

ImageImage
Eight logs to cross a river? That seems rather excessive; we’ve been managing with one. Still, I’m sure deforestation is one thing that won’t be causing us trouble in about ten minutes during the course of our adventure.

We made it! We’re out! We don’t need to eat Garet after all!

Welcome to Bilbin; town of many lumberjacks

Come on, did you really think I wasn’t going to use that song?

Anyway, that’s an odd place to put a tree.

Oh that’s ominous…

‘Yes…’
(Please say it’s just a normal tree; please, please, please!)

ImageImage
‘And who was the thoughtless person who carved their initials into him?’
Anyway, plainly, events are going to conspire to prevent us from going on our way until we’ve sorted this out. The fun thing about Devil Survivor, and its sequel, is that most of the people who need saving are entirely optional and quite easy to miss; resulting in quite a radically altered plot depending on who is alive in the end game and what side you’ve taken.

ImageImage
Just out of curiosity, how are swords going to break a curse? Maybe we really should volunteer our supernatural powers.

ImageImage
Neato; I’ll add that to our itinerary…
11:00AM: Save idiot townsfolk from the curse they brought upon themselves.
1:00PM: Head to lighthouse to prevent apocalypse, rescue childhood friend and push Kraden off top of lighthouse.

ImageImage
The Mount Aelph eruption really was fantasy Cheynobll, wasn’t it?

In any case, let us put curses, apocalypses and fantasy analogies for nuclear power out of our minds for the moment. Instead let us consider the scene above. We see a perfectly ordinary statue in a town square…
Or do we?
You see, dear readers, but you do not observe. Upon closer inspection we see a raised boundry surrounding the statue. The type of raised boundry the game designers use to prevent movable objects from leaving the relevant area.

ImageImageImage
Isaac avoids a nasty fall due to comedy physics.

These guys have got themselves quite comfortable considering they only escaped Mount Aelph about four or five days ago…

I don’t know what amuses me more; the lack of any kind of lock or the fact that a hidden warehouse has a sign.

We can move this statue, but we still won’t be able to get past it from this side. I know how to get to the Djinn, but that would be out of character knowledge and this is a roleplaying game, so we’ll just have to- hey, what’s that behind you?

‘-and that, Garet, is how I worked out the existence of this side entrance.’
Sorry, must have been imagining things, but you missed some epic detective work on Isaac’s part.

ImageImageImageImage
And Ivan gets his own elemental plushie.

ImageImage
‘I don’t think so but, to be honest, we’ve been using a large orange gem as a compass so who knows?’

ImageImage
‘It’s not made of wood is it? Because I’m pretty sure that’ll only anger the sacred tree further.’

Right, time to start breaking that cu- wait, hang on.

ImageImage
Isaac hungrily picks a nut after he remembers he hasn’t eaten anything except healing herbs since he left Vale. Then he notices some halted construction work.

‘Purple hair; you’re clearly neither lumberjack nor housewife. Lady Mccoy I presume?’

‘You already live in a palace and you had burly men with axes anger a magical tree in order to make you a secondary one.’
‘So yes.’

ImageImage
I get the impression we’re not supposed to sympathise with her.

ImageImage
Confirmed.
Anyway, let’s get enrolled on this wacky curse breaking adventure.

‘…I’ll talk to your partner instead.’

ImageImage
‘Bring it on.’

‘Thank you I-‘

ImageImage
‘Just let me past.’

‘Sure thing.’

ImageImage
Let’s meet the vaunted lord of the town.

ImageImageImageImage
That is a fabulous accent.

ImageImage
That is not a good start to a job interview and I know that from experience.

ImageImage
And this is an RPG; no one above the age of twenty gets anything done.

‘We certainly can’t do a worse job than the chumps you already sent.’

ImageImage
That was too easy.

‘That’s why we’re here.’

What about the children who live in Kolima? You’re just fine with them as trees?
If we had to have a Scot ruling this town, why couldn’t we have got Karen Gillian?
Wow, so much for getting back to semi regular updates huh? :oops:
Joe

Unread postby Farmer_10 » January 23rd, 2013, 9:59 pm

Hey I don't have poor judgement! My judgement is comfortably middle-class, thank you very much.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby Wittgen » April 4th, 2013, 3:33 am

It's totally OK to post on valve time. Valve does it, and they're awesome. Therefore other people who do it are awesome by transitive property. QED.

Have you had any luck finding a Japanese script?
Last edited by Wittgen on April 4th, 2013, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wittgen

Unread postby Joe » April 4th, 2013, 5:18 pm

No luck as yet, but to be honest I haven't had a huge amount of time to search. Once I get the first of my coursework portfolios handed in, I should have a bit more time for that and maybe an actual update (no, surely not!). On the update front, I appreciate your patience.
Joe

Return to “%s” Quests