Exalted Quest

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Exalted Quest

Unread postby Wittgen » April 24th, 2012, 9:51 am

Welcome to Creation, a vast expanse that's about what you'd get if the surface area of the Earth was rolled out on to table. This is a land with no magnetic poles but five elemental poles, earth, wind, water, fire, and wood. This is a land where everything has a god. The sun, the concept of secrets, porcelain, and that pebble under your shoe all have gods. The pebble one is about as aware as an ant. The sun one could crack creation like a walnut, if he really set his mind to it.

You were a petty mortal human until just a few minutes ago. You were pretty good at what you did, sure, but you weren't all that extraordinary. The past tense is important here. A few minutes ago, something called an exaltation fused with your soul. An exaltation is a fragment of one of the greater gods. Now you are an exalt, a being of tremendous power. A weapon originally birthed into creation to defeat the progenitors of the gods themselves.

Time to decide some stuff about who you are. First off, what kind of solar exalted are you? Are you
-Dawn, a warrior supreme?
-Zenith, the bedrock of solar society? (Zenith are kind of hard to sum up in a few words. They are priests. They specialize in reaching the masses and in standing strong and immovable against anything.)
-Twilight, a scholar and sorcerer who will eventually learn any secret they seek?
-Night, a thief and assassin from whom no target is truly secure?
-Eclipse, a diplomat who could forge lasting peace between wolves and sheep?

Where you? Are you in the
-West, near the elemental pole of water? (A rather nautical setting)
-North, near the elemental pole of air? (A rather frozen wasteland setting)
-East, near the elemental pole of wood? (A rather foresty setting)
-South, near the elemental pole of fire? (A rather desertastic setting.)
-Middle, near the elemental of earth? (A rather domesticated/urban setting where your exaltation will be the most dangerous to you. The government is strong here and not so much a fan of your kind.)

Also, please vote on gender and name if you have a preference.

To those familiar with the source material, this will not be overly mechanical. I will ask a few more questions to get a sense of what kind of character you guys want to play, and based on that, I will make a character sheet to keep a general idea of what you can do. I won't roll dice unless it's really a close call, though, and stunting (describing yourself as doing something really awesome) will be immensely powerful. This is, after all, exalted. If no one is interested, however, I understand.
Wittgen

Re: Exalted Quest

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 24th, 2012, 10:37 am

I vote as follows:

Dawn (martial arts type)
West (not a setting that sees a lot of use afaik)
Male
Yensin
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 24th, 2012, 10:57 am

Eclipse Caste (because the image of a herd of wolves and sheep following us around is amusing)
West (because if there's any place that's going to have disputes that need to be settled, it's on a ship where people can't get away from each other)
Male
Yensid (not the same as TK's suggestion, but I like being named after Mickey's magic tutor)

MrRigger
Last edited by MrRigger2 on April 24th, 2012, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby doc.exe » April 24th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Mmmm...

-Eclipse (MrRigger's description is quite amusing)
-North (Because the idea of surviving rather extreme conditions while at the same time ensuring our companions don't kill each other appeals to me)
- Indistinctive (I'm ok with male or female).
- Alex (is the first unisex name that came to my mind).
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby gman391 » April 24th, 2012, 2:29 pm

I'm with Rigger for most of it but would rather be a Zenith Caste just to see what happens.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Ristridin » April 24th, 2012, 3:31 pm

Twilight
North
Indistinctive
Alex would be fine.
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby ewuvi » April 24th, 2012, 5:33 pm

Eclipse
West
Female
Suzie (I dunno, I think it would be amusing to have a cute name)
ewuvi

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » April 24th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Twilight
West
Female
Sparkle
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby Darkandus » April 24th, 2012, 7:39 pm

*Tumbles into thread*

I was told there was an Exalted Quest.

*Sees we're Solar Exalted*

Twilight
East
It's a mystery
Indifferent when it comes to a name
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby Wittgen » April 24th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Current votes.

Dawn 1
Zenith 1
Twilight 3
Night 0
Eclipse 3

West 5
North 2
East 1

Super Dude 3
Ultra Gal 2

With names, it's worth noting that mortals tend to have names like the ones you've suggested. That is to say, normal. After people exalt, they tend to take names like Hyborean Sea King, He Who Slaughters With Glee and Frivolity, Falling Snow Blossom, Radiant Moon Raking Dawn, Nova Lotus, etc. Since I am terrible at coming up with names, all name suggestions, both normal and over the top, are appreciated and will probably be used somewhere in the course of the quest.
Wittgen

Unread postby DIT_grue » April 24th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Twilight
West

No preference on either.
DIT_grue

Unread postby livilou » April 24th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Eclipse
West
Female
Radiant Lady Priscilla the Friendly
livilou

Unread postby Darkandus » April 25th, 2012, 11:21 am

Victorious Sky
Incomparable Blossom
Night Thunderhead Sage
Silk Mind of the Bat
Blazing Hill Temper
Poison Emerald
Auspicious Rose
Monsoon Sun Maiden
Son of Ash
Radiant Jade Crow
Darkandus

Unread postby Wittgen » April 26th, 2012, 5:13 am

Hm. Ties. I'm currently writing the multiple choice personality test to determine the layout of the character sheet. (This is the internet. People like personality quizzes, right?) People should feel free to change their votes, especially if they voted for something that wasn't Twilight or Eclipse. If it comes down to it, I will flip a coin.

There are minor differences in available magical powers. Twilight caste exalts can use their anima (the energy infused glow of their divinely charged soul) to shield themselves. This happens to be the most wildly out of flavor anima power, so in this quest, Twilight caste will also have the power to gain inspiration by bathing in that glow. That is to say, inspiration derived from the Unconquered Sun (who is unconquered in all fields, including academia) will let Twilights accomplish long duration academic efforts more quickly. (Researching, investigating, spell crafting, crafting, and medical treatment)

Eclipse castes can sanctify oaths, making them binding. This is really awesome. They can also, with a teacher, learn magical abilities of other types of exalts. This can be horrendously broken in the pen and paper game, but it will be more like a cool reward for befriending people who aren't Solars here.
Wittgen

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 26th, 2012, 7:35 am

I'll flip my vote to Eclipse caste then.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Ristridin » April 26th, 2012, 9:36 am

So with Eclipse we can still have magic and knowledge? I'll change to Eclipse as well then. Also, I vote that our first oath is to get all the powers of all classes immediately and make it binding so it'll actually work. :biggrin: (yeah ok, it probably doesn't work that way. And it'd probably be rather boring if it worked, not to mention completely broken.)
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 26th, 2012, 9:45 am

Also, for a name, if we do go for Eclipse: Forger of the Tempered Word
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby ewuvi » April 26th, 2012, 4:39 pm

The Ordained.

And then we can oversee weddings. Binding wedding vows for all of the people!
ewuvi

Unread postby doc.exe » April 26th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Magnus W. Alexander... What? I like the name.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 26th, 2012, 10:12 pm

The Ordained.

And then we can oversee weddings. Binding wedding vows for all of the people!
That... may not be such a good idea ewuvi. For one, sometimes people just aren't a good match. Anullments do take pace. But you can't anull the pacts that an Eclipse caste creates. Thus why they tend to do short-term, one-time pacts, or pacts that are extremely unlikely to be anything but beneficial to both parties under most any circumstances. For another thing, using our pacts like that may actually force a change in the people we're binding together if the wording is poorly done.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby gman391 » April 26th, 2012, 10:36 pm

I'm good with Eclipse Caste.

As for the name...I dunno Mangus doesn't seem very Exaltedy unless we're in the North. More inclined to stick with Rigger's choice for that.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby ewuvi » April 26th, 2012, 10:54 pm

@ TK, that's actually why I said we should do marriages. Because it would be evil in a really weird and slightly silly way (in that it's not violent or anything).

Divorce happens for a reason, I am well aware.
ewuvi

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » April 27th, 2012, 2:45 am

I vote for Eclipse Caste, starting in the West, and... actually, I shall simply second everything MrRigger said.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Darkandus » May 7th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Changing my vote to Eclipse, also, voting for Female and hoping this updates soon.
Darkandus

Unread postby Wittgen » May 8th, 2012, 12:10 pm

You're a female Eclipse cast in the west. This is good to know. I can start skimming source books about the west to get ideas. In the mean time, please participate in a power personality quiz for the purposes of character creation.

The following test has been designed to help calibrate your capabilities to be absurdly great with the specifics of your impulse to absurd greatness. This test has been carefully constructed with utmost care to provide the most accurate, meaningful results. Things like tester comfort and safety may have been compromised in this goal. Please save all critical comments regarding sudden explosions, acid pools, or flesh stripping necrotic wind for the comment cards at the end. We appreciate all feedback, but such criticism is antithetical to testing procedures.

You will be exposed to a number of possible realities from far local multiverse 3, colloquially known as the discreet Exalted Quest sequence of existence. That is to say, each problem is a potential situation you, <exalted quest character name here> could face. You will then be given choices of how you could handle the situation. Choose the option which best matches how you would want to be able to handle the situation.

It is of vital importance to the attainment of optimal testing results that you at no point consider the moral ramifications of the action. Only consider what the action says about the capabilities the potential you possesses. Considering ethical implications will skew results as, sadly, no known testing procedure can calibrate for ethics. Morality is a path you must forge yourself.

At least, that is what the database indicates. Besides, you are not really fit to judge the ethical implications of any of these situations. You might think that it is abhorrent to use your orphaned niece as an improvised club so as to deflect a spark of destruction born of the all-consuming fire of Malfeas, green sun, former lord of the primordials, and current container of the realm known as hell. This doesn’t really account for the fact that your niece would otherwise live a sad, lonely life knowing her parents didn’t even love her enough to avoid being killed by terrestrial exalted, of all the shameful things to be killed by.

This concludes the explanation of testing procedures. Please keep them in mind as you answer the following questions.

1:
You stand on one of two glistening towers jutting out of a broken city. On the other tower is a madly giggling…woman, if you’re being generous. Her flesh hangs off her like poorly applied wallpaper and every compulsive tick of her head sends a few more black waxy hairs drifting to the city below. By old accords, you have been bound to duel Mealy Consumption of the Shivering Void, a half-broken but powerful toy of the neverborn. Waiting for the crystal gong to sound the start of the battle, you size up the terrain and review your strategy.

A: There’s barely 200 yards separating your respective towers, and Shivering Void doesn’t look terribly physically gifted. The arc of your leap will intercept her position, allowing you to grab hold of her. As you plunge towards the ground, you will use your grip on her throat to send her spinning before axe kicking her into the ground, leaving nothing but a fine paste.

B: The giggling might be a ruse, a sound that will cease or be magically thrown as soon as the duel starts. You focus past it on her heartbeat. Well, she technically doesn’t have a heartbeat, but there is a center to the sound of viscera sluicing through her veins. You’ll have to keep centered on it as you backflip over the palisade, run down the tower, and grab a bow from the abandoned garrison. If you lose track of the sound (you won’t), aiming a burning bolt of the sun’s wrath could get tricky.

C: Your mind prepares to shape the power of the sun within you into a giant gleaming golden hammer. When you swing it down, both your tower and hers will collapse into rubble. You will charge, trusting your thick skin to absorb any attacks she flings at you. After closing the distance, you will start spinning, your hammer kicking up a whirlwind of debris from which you will strike again and again until that abomination in the eyes of the sun is no more.

D: A small kick will knock up a piece of palisade, which will then be flung unerringly at her creepy face. A few dozen more pieces of debris flung her way in rapid order should at least make her blink. And in that blink, you will disappear into the shadows and start shaping your spell. Ah, yes, it is once more time to directly shape reality into a more pleasing shape. A shape with sparkling column of all consuming, death hating light where little Miss Shivering Void used to be.

2:
You may have slightly underestimated Mealy Consumption of the Shivering Void. A ball of nothingness screams towards you. Wait, it’s not screaming. Reality is screaming in its wake. You recognize this attack. This is the Hunger of the Void. It cannot be avoided. It cannot be blocked. It’s touch is certain doom.

A: Dodge anyway. Who cares if it can’t be avoided. You’re better at dodging than death is at being unavoidable.

B: Parry anyway. Who cares if it can’t be blocked. You’re better at deflecting than death is at being unstoppable.

C: Laugh and throw open your arms as your essence flares. A little distilled essence of oblivion and demise put a scratch on you? Please. You’re made of sterner stuff than that. Time to take it like a solar.

It is now time for a mandated testing break. During this time, it is appropriate to ask for clarification on any aspect of testing. An informed tester is a useful tester.

Sorry about the delay. I got sidetracked by a friend suffering horrible tragedy and me being really lazy during golden week. I am also sorry there are only two questions. There will be several more, though it might be a little while as I will soon be going back to America for my sister's graduation.

As for the quiz, this is just my attempt to do character creation in a way that is faster (ha!) than committee while more involved than fiat. Low commitment folks can feel comfortable just going 1a, 2b or whatever, while people who want to have more influence can describe what parts of the answers they like and don't like. While the format is multiple choice, discussion is always helpful. The purpose of this is to give a starting point for what kinds of things you, the protagonist, is great, good, and not so hot at.
Wittgen

Return to “%s” Quests