Naruto Quest

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Re: Naruto Quest

Unread postby Phht » June 4th, 2013, 3:42 am

Though I kind of wish we could just have fun on a Monkey Quest without any heavy stuff being on the line...
So you just want to monkey around? :leaving:

I'm not sure if we're quite awesome enough yet to deal with Neji.... But eh, what's reward without some risk.

Eye for an Eye it is.
Phht

Unread postby ShonenHero » June 4th, 2013, 7:18 am

I'm putting my vote for The Disappearance of a Hyuuga Princess.
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby Ristridin » June 4th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Tough choice... I'll vote Eye for an Eye, since it might help both Hinata and Neji.
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby someone » June 6th, 2013, 5:57 pm

What would Naruto do?
Monkey business, obviously not, there are friends to help.
An eye for an eye, we know meta that setting Neji straight will probably help Hinata a lot. Naruto doesn't, so the quest would be more 'beat up the jerk' and less 'help our friend by beating up the jerk'.
Tactical retreat and Disappearance are both quests that I could actually see IC!Naruto doing, I'd imagine that Hinata's problem would be a lot more obvious to Naruto.

So I'm going to stay with Disappearance of a Hyuuga princess.
someone

Unread postby gman391 » June 11th, 2013, 11:16 pm

Quest Chosen: Eye for an Eye

*Thunk*. My head rings with the sound of me hitting a tree. Son of a bitch, that hurts. I mean seriously, did the Shodai make these things out of iron or something?

Standing up, I glare at Goku-sensei. The old monkey seems to be perfectly content to wail on me. He calls it training, I call it sadism. (I can use big words too, you know?)

We’re in a clearing outside of Konoha’s walls. One of the innumerable training areas that the Shodai made for ninja to practice at. This one is designed around straight matches. There isn’t any debris or terrain to use for combat, just the ground.

Goku sits in the air using, his tail to support him while resting one leg on his knee.
“It took you a minute to fall down that time.”

“Thanks, Sensei,” I say, rolling my eyes.

“Used to be five seconds,” he says.

I hang my head at that. It’s not that he’s wrong, just that saying it like that makes me sound like a loser.

“Even so, Sensei...,” I start to complain.

He cuts me off.
“If you hadn’t broken my staff, I wouldn’t have to push you so hard.”

“It was the tiger!” I shout defensively.

“A thousand times, a thousand times I’ve told you, hard on hard, soft on soft. If you keep missing that fundamental concept, then I have to teach you another way.”

“By beating the crap out of me?” I say, annoyed.

“No, by having your body learn what your mind apparently cannot. The beating is just a side benefit. If nothing else, you’ll have more endurance when you finally reach the next level.”

“Gee, thanks, Sensei. You’re all heart.”

“That I am, where’s that Hinata girl anyways?”

I feel myself stiffen and look to the side. I had only seen Hinata at class for the last few weeks. After the mess with Shino, we had slowly integrated him back into our little band which was good, but both Hinata and Sasuke stopped really hanging out with me.

Well, I shouldn’t say that. Sasuke came home the other night and gave me a hug, which admittedly freaked me way the hell out. But after that, he’d hung out with me and Shino most days I wasn’t training. I offered to let them meet Goku-sensei, but they both said no. Apparently their styles aren’t really good for merging with mine or something.

Hinata, on the other hand...I dunno, whenever I try to push she just gives me this adorable smile and tells me she’s okay. I don’t know who taught her the Mystic Puppy Eyes Jutsu, but they were mad, mad I tell you!

What do you mean it’s not a real jutsu?

“Naruto, are you okay?” Goku’s voice shakes me out of my thoughts.

“Er, yeah. Sorry, Sensei, Hinata’s just been busy with Clan stuff lately,” I say, still half distracted.

“Clan stuff, eh?” he muses, leaning back on his tail.

I shrug.
“Yeah. Won’t tell me much about it.”

“Well, maybe you can find another one of her clan members and ask them about it?” Goku asks.

Geez, sensei, do you show this much compassion for me? No. On the other hand, Hinata is pretty awesome.

I think about it. I do know another guy; Neji, but he’s kind of a jerk... okay, he is a jerk. I’d probably have to beat it out of him...and he did hurt Hinata...you know what? I’m on board with this plan.

Goku seems to look at an apparently random tree.
“In fact, I know there’s a Hyuuga boy watching us from the trees right now. Why don’t you catch him?”

There’s a rustling in the tree branches and I can see what looks like...Neji? Dropping from the tree and running toward Konoha.

Hmm I could chase him now, or I could confront about it during the Academy tomorrow.

What do I do?
Spoiler: show
Behold the Naruto Character Sheet! I've substantially changed the mechanics. I will explain how in the next post.
Naruto Sheet
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 11th, 2013, 11:32 pm

Confront him at the Academy; he's faster than us and if he decides to stop us from following him; at this point he can kick our butt without really trying. At the Academy he won't have that luxury and we can probably pin him down verbally with minimal risk to ourselves.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby JAGwin » June 11th, 2013, 11:34 pm

ig: AFTER HIM!!!

EDIT: On second thought, I agree with Tempest.
JAGwin

Location: My Secret Lab... and even I'M not entirely sure where that is.

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 12th, 2013, 12:17 am

We are a young kid with impulse control issues. I fail to see any option other than chasing after him with all our might. If he loses us, fine, we catch up with him at the Academy tomorrow.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby gman391 » June 12th, 2013, 2:17 am

So I’ve posted a sheet. It has these things on it, it has numbers and everything. (What are you doing gman?) (Quiet Brain) What I am doing is trying to come up with a more fair system to decide things, one that makes more sense for me. To that end, I’ve created a sheet with the basic stats for Naruto, his relationships, and the effects his feats and traits have. I’m still keeping the Relationship system though.
I've spoilered this so you don't have to scroll through all of this if you're just going to the newest post or archive binging.
Spoiler: show
To start with, we have Attributes, Skills, Feats, Gear, Chakra and Health on the Stats page. First I’ll explain what these are and then what the numbers mean.

Attributes are your raw physical and mental abilities. They're what you use when trying to do things just from your own innate abilities and talents.

Strength is what it says on the tin. It allows you to carry things, lift things, and hit harder. Higher Strength increases your damage with physical attacks.

Agility is a measure of how fast and dexterous you are. Balancing, tumbling, and dodging are all things that rely on this attribute. Dodging is rather important as ninja don’t typically wear armor.

Endurance is a measure of how much punishment you can physically take, both from outside sources and from your own efforts. It’s also one half of what generates your chakra. More on that in a bit.

Perception is how aware you are of the world and other people. This is what lets you spot traps and ambushes and realize that maybe the cute girl you just met is a boy.

Willpower; if Endurance is how much the body can take, Willpower is how much the mind can take. You use this to resist mental shocks and torture. Certain genjutsu rely on overcoming this to kill you. It makes up the other half of your total chakra stat.

Intelligence, this is how smart you are and serves well all the things you expect intelligence to do.

Skills allow you to do things; if you aren't trained in a skill you default to an Attribute and take a penalty to your rolls. Skills are used for most actions, so it’s a good idea to have them trained. If you don’t have medicine trained, you aren’t saving Hinata’s life when she has a heart attack, you know?

Most skills are fairly self-explanatory. Ninjutsu is used when making ninjutsu attacks, etc.
However several skills do have something more to them:
Kenjutsu is applied to all weapons, but feats will give you a bonus to the skill when using a feat-specific weapon.

Sougjutsu refers to the use of all ninja tools from using the invisibility blanket to making traps. Feats will add a bonus to this skill when using it for that purpose. (So a Trap Making Feat would give you a bonus to the skill when making traps, but not when you’re making a disguise.)

Crafting is a catch all term and can be taken multiple times. It refers to any sort of process where you make stuff. You could have Crafting Sword, Crafting Wood and Crafting Thermodynamic Nuclear Bombs, and they would all have separate skill rankings.

Feats haven’t changed, although how you get them has changed, outside of quest reward feats. You now earn a certain number of feat points based on how well you do at a mission; you can then spend them on whatever feats you decide. However, more powerful feats require more points. Certain feats grant discounts for learning other feats. Feats are also used to obtain training in skills.

Now what do those numbers mean? Well, for Attributes and Skills they represent what you have to roll under to succeed at a task. The more you roll under that more times you succeed. This is important when rolling against an opponent. If he has more successes than you, he’ll succeed.
When called for roll a d100. To succeed you must roll under the number listed. For every 10 lower you gain another success.

Example. Bob the Ninja attempts to be stealthy. He rolls a 35 His Stealth is at 40. He gets one Success

Sue the Samurai, attempts to spot Bob with her perception. She rolls a 3. Her Perception is at 40. She gets four successes. Since she has more than Bob, she spots him. And thus the ninja spy is thwarted.

Gear is essentially what you have on you at any time. In general, unless there’s something special about it, it will just be listed, although I will list how much damage weapons do.

Now on to Chakra. Chakra is divided into two parts, how much you have, and how much control you have over it. How much you have is the sum of your Endurance+Will. Half that sum is how fast you can recover chakra with a good night’s rest. Naruto fortunately recovers absurdly fast.

Chakra Control is bought with feat points and determines what jutsu you can use; most ninjutsu have a minimum chakra control requirement and all genjutsu do. You start with Chakra Control 1. You can then buy it up with feat points; each new level costs 5(new Chakra Control level) points (you cannot skip levels).

Final thing in the Mechanics part of the sheet, Health.
Right now Health only has Wounds. Wounds represent your overall health, and are equal to 1/10th your Endurance (rounded down) + 1/10th your Willpower (rounded down). So long as you have wounds, you are considered healthy and able to fight. Once you go into negative wounds, you start getting penalties to your actions and abilities. If you get into negative wounds equal to your total maximum wounds, you die.

So how do you take wounds? Well when something attempts to damage you, you can attempt to roll to dodge using your agility stat. If you succeed then no damage. If you fail the attack hits. Then the damage of the attack is calculated.
You can then use your Endurance to to negate the damage. The amount of damage you can negate is equal to 1/10th your endurance (rounded down).

Example
Samurai Sue attack Ninja Bob with her trusty Katana. She rolls a 34 against her Kenjutsu Skill of 43. Bob attempts to dodge he rolls a 99 against his Agility of 40. He fails and her attack hits.
The katana does 10 damage. Bob has 40 Endurance. so he only takes 6 damage. Since Bob isn’t dead, he can attack next round.

The second page of the sheet is called Relationships, but it’s pretty straightforward. A key thing here is that the traits you earn from people are here. Each person gives one trait at a time. Another is that if you have a deep enough friendship (or high enough perception), you can know what conversation options that person prefers.

The last page is just a listing of traits and feats and their effects for quick reference.
To sum up. When I ask for a roll, roll 1d100 and pray to roll low.
I'll happily take questions and suggestions for feats.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Phht » June 12th, 2013, 2:32 am

I agree with MrRigger

Also, does this mean we can take Crafting Awesome and skill it up?
Phht

Unread postby gman391 » June 12th, 2013, 2:40 am

Describe to me how you would craft awesome and we'll see.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Magnificate » June 12th, 2013, 1:12 pm

After Him!

If unsuccesful confront him later.
Magnificate

Unread postby Phht » June 12th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Curse your fiendish logic!

The only response I thought of up to this point is "You cannot describe crafting Awesome, you can only experience it!" ... I figured that wouldn't pass muster. :-(
Phht

Unread postby gman391 » June 12th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Curse your fiendish logic!

The only response I thought of up to this point is "You cannot describe crafting Awesome, you can only experience it!" ... I figured that wouldn't pass muster. :-(
'Fraid not my friend.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 12th, 2013, 8:32 pm

You Craft Awesome as needed. See Simon crafting awesome to invent teleportation to punch his friend in the face. See the latest chapter of Naruto, when Naruto and Sasuke do something that only two ninja who have trained together extensively could do. See Luffy crafting awesome when he invented Gear Second after seeing what Rob Lucci did to boost himself. See Tony Stark crafting awesome. IN A CAVE! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!

That's how you craft awesome.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby gman391 » June 12th, 2013, 9:08 pm

You can't have a rule on how to break the rules, it results in feedback loop.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby spudman » June 12th, 2013, 10:58 pm

*looks around at the setting we're in*

Rules?

The power of our will cannot be denied. We will shape and mold the material plane as we see fit! Ahahahahhahaha! :eyes_on_fire:

Anyway, I figure Craft: Awesome can go in one of two directions. Skill in a style of crude planning and/or engineering that SOMEHOW works no matter what. A good example of this is da' Mekboyz of 40k and how their tech works due to the WAAAGH! A less exaggerated and real world example of this...hmm...Soviet engineering, maybe.

The other way is being able to have the inspiration/vision to spontaneously make miraculous breakthroughs. Sparks are the obvious comparison, the real world equivalent being hyperfocus or something like it.

As far as Neji goes...go after him. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and the punk was spying on us. But in the unlikely event Neji somehow finds a way to (temporarily) get past our awesomeness, we are not afraid of taking a beating. Just get back up again.

If he outpaces or beats us down, there's always tomorrow. We can secure back up by then.
spudman

Unread postby Phht » June 13th, 2013, 3:36 am

Maybe with restrictions. Like, the dramatic level of the scene determines how much Awesome you can actually craft in the scene. Crafting Awesome in the Academy classroom might bend the rules at most. Crafting Awesome when in the mirrors facing Haku... that allows you to break a few rules and bend more. Crafting Awesome when facing down the Jyuubi lets you break a lot of rules. Of course, there are exclusions to using this. No crafting awesome during romantic conversations (or other heart to heart or soul baring talks), possibly only allow it as a last ditch ass-save in romantic or similar type scenes, for instance. Possibly limit how many times one can craft awesome in a given mission/quest.

Crafting Awesome isn't about why, it's about why not! When Life gives you lemons, you burn Life's house down with the lemons that you made combustible!
Phht

Unread postby gman391 » June 13th, 2013, 3:55 am

To be fair usually you guys are crafting awesome in the responses you know? It's not so much a skill for Naruto as vicarious posession by awesome people

(No this isn't a blatant hint for you guys to craft your own responses to my requests. Unrelated could someone roll a d10 for me?)
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby spudman » June 13th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Sure, I rolled a 4.

Does Goku look inclined to come with? We could wave for Goku to flank Neji or something. Not like we could actually order him, but the monkey is interested in what's going on.

If we do catch up with him, the obvious question is why is Neji spying on us? Awfully suspicious that...

Depending on his answer, we can continue with the observation that a Hyuuga is spying on the training that their heiress has been missing recently...a bit more suspicious.

None of our business? Hinata is our best friend, but it is her family and we trust her. But....Neji isn't Hinata and he's spying on us (both Naruto and Goku). That is our business.

Him hurting our friend before is also our business. What's up with that?*

If he doesn't want to share, we'll just have to let him know we must assume he's some kind of weird stalker. Of course for the sake of public safety people must be informed.

We catch up to Neji and he attacks us:

He likely has the edge on us in most things, especially speed and taijutsu. We might break even or have a slight lead in agility and probably have an edge in kenjutsu (our bo).

Use that to deflect, counter, and keep out of the reach of that gentle fist. Break the flow of his footwork. At the same time irritate and distract however we can. Wait for Goku-sensei to intervene (can't count on that unless he says he will)or wait for/make an opening. That new jutsu of ours is a possible ace, but we can't take it for granted that it'll work on Neji. He's not a ninja yet but in Hinata's words he is really good.

Should he attack and we get the edge...enough to incapacitate him...tie him up, ask questions (as mentioned before), and if necessary...

TICKLE TORTURE. (surely we keep a feather handy for such an occasion?)

*If Neji assumes Hinata is too weak to protect herself (and/or assumes we think that) we'll make it clear that he's completely wrong. We know and admire her skills, and yeah, nobody's perfect, but she does something about it and is getting even better all the time. But her greatest strength is not wanting to hurt people, even when they hurt her, which makes her incredibly strong. We know that takes a lot of guts.

I'll have to keep that in mind for later if it doesn't come up soon.

Yeah...most of that I just wanted to write down so I wouldn't forget.
spudman

Unread postby gman391 » June 15th, 2013, 2:35 am

AFTER HIM!
Naruto Agility Roll 16 versus 30=2 successes
Neji Agility Roll 76 versus 30= 4 Failures.
Random Encounter Roll=4
4=Tora the Cat

Wait, what am I saying? Waiting until the Academy; then I might upset Hinata, and that’s a sin according to the Gospel of Ramen. After him!

I run after Neji as he leads us into Konoha proper. He’s ninjaing his way past obstacles. Rolling under stalls, spinning around people, and diving over the water barrels we have.

Thing is that I’m doing it too, and I’m doing it better. Where he takes a moment to decide to jump or not, I just swing like a monkey.

Why am I tempted to thump my chest and let loose a tribal yell? Eh, probably nothing.

I’m catching up to Neji fairly quickly, what with my mad ninja skills and his lack. We’re about half way to the Hyuuga Compound when this massive cat drops out of the sky and slams into Neji. It’s brown and wears a ribbon on its ear.

Those eyes are those of a monster; even though I’ve faced tigers, I can only look on in a sort of fascinated horror as Neji screams,
“Get it off! Get it off! Get it off!”

The Cat is having none of that and is scratching him up pretty badly...I could help Neji, or I could let the Cat finish and go on it’s merry way before talking to the guy.”

(If going for the Cat roll 1d100 best of 3)
(If letting the Cat savage Neji pick a disposition for the next conversation. Happy, Calm, Angry or Understanding)
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 15th, 2013, 2:40 am

He may be a jerk, but we wouldn't want somebody to stand by while we were savaged by a cat either. Help Neji.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby JamestheFox » June 15th, 2013, 2:42 am

I say go for the cat with one hand and a few loud screams, but make sure Neji doesn't get away by using the other hand. Hey, maybe we can tackle him, both scaring the cat and capturing Neji in one swift move?
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.
JamestheFox

Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.

Unread postby Phht » June 15th, 2013, 3:01 am

If only we had our staff still! Curse that tiger! Curse iiiiiiiiitttt.

I vote being indecisive for a few seconds, then going to help Neji. After all, he spied on our Super Special Awesome Taijutsu Training (pronounced ss-at-t, dontcha know?). So getting mauled by a not-tiger cat briefly is simply punishment for his crime. But he IS a Konoha citizen so we shouldn't let the monster have its way with him for long without helping. While we wait, we can give helpful advice, like "Run at a wall! It'll jump off!" or "Close your eyes and mouth! Cat claws might get somewhere sensitive!"
Phht

Unread postby gman391 » June 15th, 2013, 3:19 am

Heh run into a wall indeed. Still if you're advocating to help Neji please roll a d100.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Return to “%s” Quests