Naruto Quest

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Naruto Quest

Unread postby gman391 » May 29th, 2012, 9:08 pm

I look up at the building that Jiji had shown me the day before. This is the Ninja Academy. Where you learn how to be a ninja. It is...big; but I'm not going to let it scare me. I’m not scared of anything! Ignoring the funny drawings above the door, the Academy seems boring; but there is a swing out front...no, must resist urge to swing...

Where was I? Right, Academy. First step to being a ninja and then Hokage! I’ll make them all respect me and pay attention to me, Naruto Uzumaki. Believe it!

Walking inside, the walls kind of reminds me of my apartment...bleh. They clearly need more orange or something. The hallway opens out into a big room with lots of other kids. They all seem to be waiting for something...awesome ninja training!

I mean, that’s how this works, right?

A tall man with a scar on his face stands in front. “Alright, kids, come on into the classroom for your first lesson.”

Class...room? My boredom sense is going off. Nah, how can learning to be a ninja be boring? Like everyone else, I follow the man into a classroom. Looking around, I see no awesome ninja stuff and more funny drawings on the chalkboard ahead.

No ninja stuff...what kind of ninja school is this?

“Sit down, Naruto,” the man says coldly.

What the hell did I do to him? Crap, he’s just like the others. No, I won’t let myself get down. Still...he’s a ninja, I think. So I should do what he says. Now who to sit with?

Looking around, I see four open seats. One beside two girls, a blonde and a..is that pink hair? That’s...different. She looks kind of nice, though.

Another seat is by a girl with weird eyes and short hair. Beside her is a guy with a hoodie, high collared shirt and sunglasses...man, doesn’t he get hot in that get up?

The third seat is in between two people. A fat kid with swirls on his cheek...and the other guy is asleep? What? Who does that? You know what? I’m not going to ask.

The last seat is beside a boy with red tattoos below his eyes. On the other side is another guy with black eyes, black hair, black shirt and white pants. He must like black a lot? His hair kind of reminds me of a duck’s.

Now...who should I sit with?

Spoiler: show
Welcome to Naruto Quest, where in I prove myself completely unoriginal. Anyways, the plot of this quest is that you are Naruto. It’s up to you to guide him in his quest to become Hokage. Starting from his time in the academy all the way up to becoming Hokage..or Emperor of the World if that floats your boat. You can make friends, enemies, romantic conquests, however you play it and the world reacts to it. For this first bit we’re mostly fleshing Naruto out: if he has friends, what his skills are and overall abilities should be.
Rather than use a straight RPG mechanic where in as you level up Naruto becomes better and better. I instead opted to go with feats that improve the three combat stats. This is to represent the various techniques Naruto can use. These feats are obtained generally at the point you level up. Naruto will typically have 5 or so choices and 2 feats per level up. However, you can also undertake quests to get special feats. For example, you will have the option to undergo a quest to learn the Rasengan earlier if you meet certain requirements.

Right now, make Naruto friends, as that’ll determine which feats he starts out as a genin with. Naruto automatically starts out with the Kawarimi and Henge feats.
Hinata gives Taijutsu and Chakra Control
Kiba gives Taijutsu and Tracking
Shino gives Ninjutsu and Tactics
Sakura gives Genjutsu and Knowledge
Sasuke gives Ninjutsu and Sougujutsu
Ino gives Genjutsu and Infiltration
Chouji gives Taijutsu and Medicine
Shikimaru gives Ninjutsu and Strategy
Last edited by gman391 on May 30th, 2012, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Re: Naruto Quest

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 29th, 2012, 9:22 pm

As a Team 8 fan, I have to vote for sitting with Hinata and Shino. The things they'll help Naruto with will also play to the strengths we know he's going to develop anyway thanks to his natural capacity for chakra.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Farmer_10 » May 29th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Better Left Unsaid has made me more of a Team 10 fan, but we can't mix and match so Hinata and Shino it is.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby MrRigger2 » May 29th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Going to go against the grain, I think we should sit with Sasuke and Kiba. Frankly, I think the character interaction would be more interesting than the stoic Shino and stuttering Hinata. I'd rather see the interplay as Naruto, Sasuke, and Kiba all try to one up each other than a group of friends where only one person is able to get out a complete sentence. Yes, we know that Naruto, Shino, and Hinata can work, thanks to Team 8, but if I want to see that, I'll go read Team 8 again. I've only seen one fic that does the Naruto, Sasuke, and Kiba team, and it was a long time ago, while I've seen the other team combinations done more frequently. Seeing something new would be good, I think. Also, I think a team of Naruto, Sasuke, and Kiba would end up pushing each other to improve all the time, something that I don't see happening with the other teams.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 29th, 2012, 10:43 pm

That much egotism in one place could also have them self-destruct as they end up going beyond what's safe in order to one-up each other.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby bookworm702 » May 29th, 2012, 10:57 pm

I'm going to have to throw my vote in with Kiba and Sasuke. Every single thing I can think of about their interactions for the story is gold, and I think they would be honestly effective together, both as friends and working as a ninja team.
bookworm702

Unread postby MrRigger2 » May 29th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Yes, there is a fair bit of ego there. However, I think they would all end up checking each other fairly well. The reason Sasuke and Naruto ended up exploding is because Sakura wasn't a balancing factor. She always took Sasuke's side, and was always against Naruto (when Sasuke abstained from the argument). With Kiba on the team instead, Naruto will have an ally occasionally, or he would present a third side. Not to mention that this is before the massacre, so Sasuke is still a pretty normal kid, so his monstrous ego isn't there. With Naruto and Kiba befriending him now, I don't think they'd let him devolve to his canon persona, either. Yes, he'd certainly become more withdrawn and obsessive, but I think Naruto and Kiba would make sure he doesn't go crazy.

Not to mention I think the interplay has the potential to be awesome. Iruka talking to the Hokage:

"Yes, Hokage-sama, it's true that they can't seem to agree on anything, they argue constantly, and are unable to go more than three days without fighting each other. But they also are the first ones to come to the other's aid, won't let anyone else speak against them, and frankly, they just seem to work well together."

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Farmer_10 » May 29th, 2012, 11:23 pm

I think we might be jumping the gun on some things. To clear things up: Gman, is this seat placement also gonna be our team upon graduation?
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby Flux_Blade » May 29th, 2012, 11:24 pm

I have to agree with the Sasuke and Kiba sitting next to.
Still proud owner of no avatar.

Digimon Quest, it's back. Clicky.
Flux_Blade

Unread postby gman391 » May 29th, 2012, 11:27 pm

Who you sit next to will be your preliminary team set up. However if you botch things and make it so the people you sit with hate you or something then the teams will be different. So try not to do that okay? This first part will have 3 chances to make friends or deepen existing ties. Whomever you have the best relationships at the end will be your teammates
Last edited by gman391 on May 29th, 2012, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby MrRigger2 » May 29th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Sounds good to me.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Phht » May 29th, 2012, 11:45 pm

Sakura and Ino.

Why?

Well, the Yondaime was blonde, apparently good-looking, and clearly awesome. Naruto is blonde, good-looking, and soon to be awesome. And Jiji might've mentioned having a blonde kunoichi as a student that was awesome. Clearly, this means that the blonde girl is destined to be awesome too.

As for the pink haired girl.... Well, pink is a shade of red. And wasn't there some crazy redhead that chased away the Yondaime's lady friends? She had to have been awesome to manage that in a hidden village. Plus maybe there was some blonde in there that lightened the red to pink. We've already noted that blonde is a sign for future awesomeness, so she gets bonus points there.

The two girls are destined to become awesome ninja. So we need to get in friends with them now so we aren't groupies once they reach their destiny. Plus, Jiji says that Hokages get all the ladies they want, so clearly there's some trick to learn with them to become one step closer to being Hokage.

:leaving:
Phht

Unread postby spudman » May 29th, 2012, 11:48 pm

From a pure 'stats' standpoint, I say go with sitting near Hinata and Shino. We'd need the extra practice with chakra control to get anywhere with genjutsu or most other things, anyway. Taijutsu is the basics of fighting, so that's good to be competent at. Ninjutsu is a strong point for us so best make use of it. And Naruto does have a natural instinct of sort for spontaneous and inspired tactics, but that can be honed into a reliable strength with a better understanding of it.

This way we're playing to some of our greatest strengths and laying the ground work for improving our weaknesses.

And I don't see a reason interactions with those two can't be interesting. Team 8 was different from Kishi!canon in that Hinata was probably in MUCH worse shape in the former. And Shino...well, you'd have to ask him direct questions, or something, to get to know him. It'd be a challenge to build a friendship with them without even that team connection to start things up, but it can be managed.

Besides, we suspect Shino is hiding something. We want to be noticed but we must admit that ninjas are kind of mysterious and bad@$$. This guy seems to be ahead of the game there, we think....
spudman

Unread postby Darkandus » May 30th, 2012, 2:47 am

Chouji and Shikamaru.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby MrRigger2 » May 30th, 2012, 2:52 am

Just thought of another reason we should go with Sasuke and Kiba. So we can have an awesome heartwarming scene where after the massacre, Sasuke desperately wants to be left alone, Naruto and Kiba know he shouldn't be left alone, Sasuke ends up fighting us, and as all three of us are flat on our backs, exhausted and beaten, he asks us this.

"Why won't you two just leave me alone?"

"Because we're your friends, genius."

"Yeah, you're stuck with us."

Also, the argument for going with Ino and Sakura is well founded and accurate. However, two blonde ninjas on one team? That much awesome could break something.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Vael » May 30th, 2012, 3:28 am

I'm torn between Hinata+Shino, Ino+Sakura, and, thanks to Rig, Sasuke+Kiba.

The major thing about Ino+Sakura is that they'll be fangirls at some point, and that...well, might mess things up BIG time.

Remember that Sasuke was also mind raped, not once, but twice and that contributed to his instability, I'm not quite sure that friendship and loyalty would help out Sasuke, nothing beyond making sure he doesn't meet Itachi a second time, which can be done without necessarily being a member of his team or his friend.

Gman did say that the ones with the best relationships would become our team mates, so we can afford to be utilitarian for now and sit with the ones that will give us the best feats, but then we could try to befriend the entire class, and focus on whoever we would like on our team.

Edit:
Oh, I'm throwing in my (very tentative) vote for Hinata+Shino.
Last edited by Vael on May 30th, 2012, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

KH Wiki: The Keyhole
Fairly solid as a resource and rather organized, perfect for newcomers to KH.
Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Parent-site of The Keyhole, a little less organized in my opinion, but goes a little deeper into the mechanics of KH.
Vael

Unread postby Wittgen » May 30th, 2012, 3:32 am

Is this written in first person past or first person present?

I vote for Chouji and Shino.
Wittgen

Unread postby spudman » May 30th, 2012, 3:47 am

I think the feats will be determined by who our team ends up being. And as far as feats go, Hinata and Shino suit us the best.

It's a nice scene, Rigger. But I still find the mix of personalities with Hinata, Shino, and Naruto more interesting. Team 8 got them getting to know each other only after graduating. Same kids, but them meeting a lot sooner makes for a much different story.

I would like to turn Sasuke around, but not but not as a CLOSE friend. Instead, as just a friend and comrade. That'd be a challenge, to then find an example of a better way that he can relate to.
spudman

Unread postby Phht » May 30th, 2012, 3:49 am

The major thing about Ino+Sakura is that they'll be fangirls at some point, and that...well, might mess things up BIG time.
This is a good meta point against them, however, we don't know ages or when the Massacre occurs here (or if it has already), so it's possible that "Naruto Uzumaki, Future Hokage. Dattebayo!" will be able to help them realize their and his potential awesome, thereby thwarting the terrible threat of two budding awesome kunoichi falling to fangirl-itis. Successfully doing that would mean we'd be instant Chunin on graduation for the critical services to the village by discovering a way to prevent fangirls. Maybe even straight to that sweet hat and Jiji can retire immediately.

Also, there's no such thing as too much awesome. The only possible thing that can break is the hearts of all the less awesome ninja and civilians that realize that they aren't awesome enough to have a chance with (or against) the team.
Phht

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 30th, 2012, 3:59 am

Is this written in first person past or first person present?

I vote for Chouji and Shino.
We can't mix-n-match Witt.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Wittgen » May 30th, 2012, 4:08 am

Sleepy guy's asleep. Just move him and invite the other guy to the now open chair. Ninja rule number 17: be proactive.
Wittgen

Unread postby guyfonderball » May 30th, 2012, 8:04 am

I'll have to vote for Hinata and Shino, and not just because i'm a huge Naruhina nut.

I'm generally against breaking up Team 10, since I actually like the traditions surrounding them. And you would have to come up with a very good reason to break up the team.

Going with Sasuke and Kiba can be interesting, but also problematic depending on the portrayal of the Uchiha-Clan. If they are still alive (which I'm assuming for now), they may be against this friendship. And after the massacre, Sasuke may believe even more that he has to stay away from Naruto to not disgrace his family. It would probably be the best to befriend him after the massacre.

Ino and Sakura would be problematic stat-wise, due to the focus on Genjutsu. I just can't imagine a Genjutsu using Naruto. And if they become fangirls and break up their friendship over Sasuke, Naruto would most likely have to choose eiter one of them, or lose them both.

With Hinata and Shino we have a very good combination stat-wise. As far as their personality goes, Hinata most likely needs friends now, to help her out of her shell and become the kickass Kunoichi we now she can be. And Shino is ... well, Shino.
guyfonderball

Unread postby Wittgen » May 30th, 2012, 8:42 am

I just can't imagine a Genjutsu using Naruto.
You should read Spying no Jutsu.

My vote is for whatever ballot Chouji is on, assuming it's not OK to forcibly move our classmates. For whatever reason.
Wittgen

Unread postby Ristridin » May 30th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Taijutsu, chakra control, ninjutsu and tactics sounds useful to begin with. So I'll vote for Hinata and Shino. Do we get all these feats in the end, or just the two we have the most points in after the next few chances we take?
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby Flux_Blade » May 30th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Going with Sasuke and Kiba can be interesting, but also problematic depending on the portrayal of the Uchiha-Clan. If they are still alive (which I'm assuming for now), they may be against this friendship. And after the massacre, Sasuke may believe even more that he has to stay away from Naruto to not disgrace his family. It would probably be the best to befriend him after the massacre.
That can also be a problem with Hinata, with her family, actually seems more likely than Sasuke, as Mikoto and Kushina were teammates that were good friends. Also, that would not be great stress to put Hinata if her dad/(mom if she's alive, don't know) disapproves of us.

Less Meta-reasoning, the two awake boys seem more likely to be willing to run around and be active.
Still proud owner of no avatar.

Digimon Quest, it's back. Clicky.
Flux_Blade

Return to “%s” Quests