Samurai Quest

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Samurai Quest

Unread postby gman391 » December 20th, 2012, 5:29 pm

It is the year 1128 of the Emerald Empire, the land of the kami. It is here that the kami fell from heaven and ordered humanity to fight and survive in an uncaring world. It is here that the kami taught men and women civilization. It is here that they stand as the first, best defense against the taint of the dark god Fu Leng. This is the land of Rokugan, a land where Samurai rule under the benevolent auspices of the Emperor. The Eight Great Clans serve as the Emperor’s instruments to implement his will.

This is true in theory. As it stands, two of the Great Clans, Lion and Crane, have declared war on each other. The war is low-key for now, as both sides marshal their forces, but all it takes is a single spark for the armies of the Lion to march against the Crane. Clan Phoenix waits in the wings, prepared to enforce the Emperor’s peace by force if necessary. The other Clans have taken a “wait and see” approach, with the exception of the Mantis Clan, which slowly inches toward declaring war on Lion as well.

The other great clans each continue their own affairs. Clan Dragon keeps its centuries old watch on the Empire from its mountain home. Clan Unicorn continues to carve out its place within the Empire, having returned from the outer steppe two centuries ago. Clan Crab continues its desperate fight to hold back the taint of the Shadowlands in the south. And Clan Scorpion continues to weave plots for the good of the Empire (so they say).

You are a young samurai entrusted with a message. This is the world of Rokugan, where bushido is everything; how will you survive?

The first question to ask is, what kind of samurai are you? Within the Emerald Empire, there are three types of samurai:

The Bushi: Warriors who use their skills in battle to carry the day. Their words might not be cultured, but their blades often more than make up for that. One might use all the words in the world, it will have no effect on how well a sword cuts through a man. Though the elements themselves might array against a bushi, his skill and prowess may still bring him victory.

The Shugenja: The Shugenja listen to the calling of the spirit and learn to work with the world to manipulate magic of Earth, Air, Fire and Water. They might not be able to swing a sword that can cut stone in two, but they don’t really need to when they can make that same stone rise up and crash into someone. They are capable enough with words, but are more at home communing with the Elements.

The Courtier: There are more ways to fight than simple swords, spears and arrows. The right word at the right time can destroy armies. Thus the courtier fights for his Clan (and the Emperor of course) not on the field of battle, but in the courts of various daimyo. Yet they find themselves ill suited to the rigors of combat, lacking the skills of the Bushi or the magic of the Shugenja to protect themselves.

The second question to ask is, to which clan do you owe allegiance? The Clans are united in their service to the Emperor, and by extension the Emerald Empire as a whole. Yet despite this, they are united in little else; each clan has its own territory, methods, and purpose in the Empire. Naturally, they all have their own views on each other as well.

Clan Crab: A clan of guardians, of warriors, of quiet heroes who hold the line against the horrors of the Shadowlands, a tainted realm where the dark god Fu Leng remains imprisoned. Skilled at fighting both Shadowlands and other clans, their weakness is, naturally, their courtiers who perhaps resemble extortionists more than is entirely polite. Loud, boisterous, and contemptuous of those who don’t help them fight, the Crab care more about their duty than things like etiquette, leading most clans to regard them with a little distaste

Clan Crane: A clan of artisans, of teachers, of civilizers that both create and show the path to civilization and courtly life. The Crane believe themselves tasked with maintaining social harmony in the empire, using diplomacy, and when that is not enough, swords, to keep order. Their weakness is in their Shugenja, who shun martial pursuits to follow religion. Elegant, refined, and always ready to work for the clan’s benefit, the Crane have a semi-deserved reputation of arrogance and a deadly feud with Clan Lion.

Clan Dragon: A clan of watchers, of thinkers, of historians that write down and watch the world around them. The Dragon know that they are to watch the Empire and subtly act to keep it on the path of honour. In pursuit of this, they maintain a balanced force, although their courtiers are less concerned with advancing the clan than finding the truth in things. Enigmatic, mysterious and just plain odd, the Dragon are regarded as a strange clan by others, and with a certain amount of wariness.

Clan Lion: A clan of warriors, of generals, of heroes that lead and protect the Emperor with martial might. The Lion are masters of warfare, defenders of bushido, and the right hand of the Emperor. They have fine bushi and a strong grasp of tactics. Against enemies from without and within, the Lion march their enemies in defense of the Emperor. Their armies are well-maintained, and their shugenja even communicate with spirits. However, the other clans often find Lion courtiers’ constant exhortations of honour and the glory of Lion trying. This might be the source of the clan’s ancient feud with Clan Crane.

Clan Mantis: A clan of sailors, of merchants, of freemen that protect the Empire’s coast with their ships. The Mantis is a disparate clan made up of several former minor clans. An eclectic group with varying beliefs, the Mantis are a freewheeling clan that specializes primarily in naval warfare, but in also using nontraditional weapons. They have a grand fleet, but a small land army. Being a collection of minor clans raised into a Great Clan, there is some trepidation about them on the part of other clans. Not that Mantis cares; driven by ambition, they will prove themselves a Great Clan. They harbor a dislike of the Phoenix Clan because of the Phoenix harboring the murderer of their clan founder years ago.

Clan Phoenix: A clan of scholars, of mediators, of shugenja that use their magic to both learn about the world and maintain the peace of the Empire. More than any other clan, the Phoenix embrace the Elements and the lore of the Ancients. Dedicated to peace, they maintain strong influences in most courts, attempting to promote that peace. They have many shugenja and are skilled at manipulating the elements, which makes up for their relatively weak bushi. Despite their noted commitment to peace, the Phoenix are seen by some as arrogant and judgmental, causing friction with other clans, particularly the Mantis Clan.

Clan Scorpion: A clan of spies, of deceivers, of manipulators that use guile and trickery to do what they must to keep the Empire safe, even if that means providing a villain for the other Clans. A clan that sees itself as the shadow guardians of the Empire, the ends justify the means for Scorpions. If that means personal honour must be sacrificed, then so be it. Due to their manipulative nature and many many plots, the Scorpions are universally viewed with mistrust. Which is part of their plan... so they say.

Clan Unicorn: A clan of riders, of explorers, of foreigners that serve as the Empire’s link to the outside world. An old clan, for most of the Empire’s history they have travelled far and wide from the Empire, exploring both the western deserts and northern steppes. Skilled horsemen and scouts, Clan Unicorn is still struggling to make a home in the Empire. Their long journeys have left them changed from the other clans, leaving them outsiders, but their mighty steeds make them a formidable clan, holding the steppes against the Northern barbarians.

After deciding on these things, tell me, what is your given name, young samurai?
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Re: Samurai Quest

Unread postby gamebrain89 » December 20th, 2012, 5:38 pm

Zhao, Shugenja of the Mantis Clan.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 20th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Shugenja, Clan Dragon

Ayumu no Ryu
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Wittgen » December 20th, 2012, 5:47 pm

So, some kind of crazy Japanese world and the great evil is Chinese? Wow.
Wittgen

Unread postby JAGwin » December 20th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Bushi from Clan Lion. I'll let someone else come up with a name.
JAGwin

Location: My Secret Lab... and even I'M not entirely sure where that is.

Unread postby Ristridin » December 20th, 2012, 6:21 pm

Shugenja of Clan Phoenix.
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby shadowspiri5 » December 20th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Ristridin gets my support.
If at first you don't succeed kill it with fire! Because why not?
shadowspiri5

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » December 21st, 2012, 9:09 am

Note: gman and I are running this Quest together.
------
Hmm, I see, you are a shugenja from Clan Phoenix, of the Isawa family. A fine family with a long history. The kami Shiba went on one knee to beg for your founder’s help in the War of the Kami. Ever since, the Isawa have been the true rulers of Clan Phoenix - or so the stories say. The stories also say that you are the most gifted Shugenja in the Empire; although the Kitsune family from the Mantis Clan might disagree, your family’s mastery of the fifth element, Void, gives that claim some truthfulness.

The sigil of Clan Phoenix
The sigil of the Isawa family

Still no name for me, I see? Well, we will continue on; there are few more questions that I need you to answer. The first is the most important for a shugenja. What Element do you wield most, young Isawa-san?

Air, the element of intuition and unpredictability. Masters of Air can call down storms from on high, manipulate the senses, and make themselves fast as the wind.

Earth, the element of fortitude and resistance. Masters of Earth can make the ground beneath them shake, create impenetrable defences, and make themselves as enduring as the mountains.

Fire, the element of creativity and passion. Masters of Fire can summon flames as hot as the sun, shower a room in light, and make themselves as agile as the leaping flame.

Water, the element of strength and perception. Masters of Water can create tsunamis that destroy cities, heal the sick and wounded, and make themselves as perceptive as the mountain spring is clear.

Or perhaps, Isawa-san, you, like others in your family, wield the hidden Element of Void. It is said that the Void is everything and nothing, and that those who master its secrets can work true wonders.

As well as which you favor most, which of these elements do you like the least?

Lastly, will you tell me your given name, Isawa-san, so I know who to listen for on my travels?
Last edited by Aldraia Dragonsong on March 17th, 2013, 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby JAGwin » December 21st, 2012, 9:25 am

Most: Void.

Least: Fire.
JAGwin

Unread postby Ristridin » December 21st, 2012, 10:17 am

Most: Void
Least: Fire
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby gamebrain89 » December 21st, 2012, 12:33 pm

Favor I'll agree on Void. But my inner pyromaniac must not turn away from Fire. Least: Earth.

I'll stick with my name suggestion, Zhao.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby NotreallyHere » December 21st, 2012, 12:52 pm

Most: Void- lets explode everything
Least: Water- we don’t heal.
You never want to be in a fair fight if an unfair fight is an option." Forrest Griffin - Be Ready When The Sh*t Goes Down (A Survival Guide To The Apocalypse)

Little brother - “who is organization XIII”
Me – “meh, bunch a nobodies”
NotreallyHere

Unread postby gman391 » December 21st, 2012, 1:04 pm

Void does not equal explosions, if you want those go Fire.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 21st, 2012, 2:48 pm

We want to be truly unpredictable to our enemies (and maybe our allies as well)

Most: Air
Least: Earth
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Darkandus » December 26th, 2012, 2:30 am

Most: Void
Least: Fire
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby gman391 » January 3rd, 2013, 7:35 pm

So, you favor Void, but are not fond of Fire. A fine choice. And your name is Isawa Zhao? Excellent. I shall be watching you.
May the kami smile upon your efforts.

You have been sent to deliver a message to the Lion Clan. The Phoenix Clan intends to petition the Emperor for the authority to enforce a truce, and your message requests that the Lion Clan cease their hostilities with the Crane Clan.

You are traveling with one companion, your bodyguard Shiba Taichi. He is older than you, and in theory wiser. His skills are directed towards the art of the bushi, unlike your own; he favours the naginata. The two of you are traveling on foot, and well-provisioned for the journey ahead.

There are three routes that you could take to get to the fortress city of Kyuden Ikoma.

The first route, the most daring and possibly the most dangerous, is to skirt the border between Lion and Crane until you reach the city. Although the massive Lion Army has yet to march in earnest, numerous border clashes mean that the flow of ronin and bandits plaguing the countryside remains strong.

The second route, the longest one and possibly the safest, is to cross into the Dragon Clan border, from there into Lion, and come to Kyuden Ikoma from behind. Although the Dragon Clan is friendly with Phoenix, they are notoriously picky about whom they allow to to travel in their own domain.

The last route is to make your way to the sea, find a boat that will take you down one of the great rivers, and then come to Kyuden Ikoma from the side. Doing so would take less time than the second route, but more than the first. This route avoids most of the dangers, but piracy has been increasing lately.

Which route do you take?

Information on your spells will be provided in a later post. Our apologies for the delay.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby JAGwin » January 3rd, 2013, 8:27 pm

Take the third route. We need to get there quickly, but the first route is too risky.
JAGwin

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 3rd, 2013, 9:55 pm

Third route. Let's avoid what conflict we can, but let's not dawdle either.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby NotreallyHere » January 29th, 2013, 11:06 am

Third route
You never want to be in a fair fight if an unfair fight is an option." Forrest Griffin - Be Ready When The Sh*t Goes Down (A Survival Guide To The Apocalypse)

Little brother - “who is organization XIII”
Me – “meh, bunch a nobodies”
NotreallyHere

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » March 17th, 2013, 8:40 pm

With apologies for the delay, here is Zhao’s character sheet.
Mechanics will be explained as they are needed.
------
“So, where we going?” Taichi asks you.

“To Aokiri Port,” you reply. “We will go down the river to Kyuden Ikoma.”

Taichi hangs his naginata across his back and nods.
“All right.”

With Takashi following your lead, you both make your way to Aokiri Port. As one of the few ports near the Phoenix lands, naturally the roads are especially well-patrolled and well-maintained. You make good time, and have no problems reaching the city.

The area around Aokiri is a rocky place, with mountains surrounding the natural cove that the city is built around. As you come down the mountain, you find yourself in a thick fog. The cold mist is so thick that you can barely see a few feet ahead of you. However, the road remains straight, so you do not get lost.

Down, down into the little valley you go. As you descend, you pass through the fog and the city is revealed; blue-grey walls of stone come up out of the ground, towering over you. The gates are made of thick oak that even the most powerful spirits of fire and earth would be hard-pressed to break.

Fortunately, you do not have to. The gates are open, allowing a steady stream of traffic to pass through it in both directions.

Inside, the city is bustling with activity. In terms of physical size, it is not a large city, but the streets are packed with people going about their business. You feel crowded, surrounded by far more people than you are used to, and are grateful for the reassuring presence of Taichi at your side.

You have two options: find the governor and get their assistance in getting down the river, or take your chances with the docks.

Looking to the west, you can see the richer part of the city, with a mansion that seems to rise above the rest of the buildings. At a guess, that is where the governor is.

To the east, you see the city sloping towards the docks.

Which way will you go?
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » March 18th, 2013, 1:14 am

To the docks, we don't have the time to engage in the usual give and take of politics to get a favor done. Better to go directly to a captain that's looking to go in our direction, and offer our services as protection from bandits as payment.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby JAGwin » March 18th, 2013, 7:47 am

I agree with Tempest.
JAGwin

Return to “%s” Quests