Rush Quest (You are no longer a hobo)

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Re: Hobo Quest

Unread postby Arganaut » March 26th, 2013, 11:02 am

Eh, tell her about the encounter. It seems like our best bet to fill in any question marks about these guys we met is to do so while explaining what we do know to her. Most notably, who they are, how they found us so quickly and why they're jerks.

And one must always have a home base before exploring. Pillow fort first, and then try to explore!
Arganaut

Unread postby SLAMU » March 26th, 2013, 1:57 pm

Vigorously and instantly deny that we would be involved in any spree of the sort...with the possible exception to a spending spree, but only if there was something we really wanted on sale. Like ice cream. Or lollipops. Or chickens.

Stroke George some more.

"So, where are we?" stroke stroke "And who are you?" pause "Are you sure? Because that seems like the kind of thing you'd want to be sure about." Ask her if she'll be our friend. Ask her why/why not. Offer to play a game of Monopoly with her, that'll destroy any potential friendship faster than answering "does this dress make me look like Dick Cheney in drag?" honestly. And if there's anything we can't have, it's friends. Because we're a monster. With a chicken. A chickenous monster who can see into...the future.
SLAMU

Unread postby doc.exe » March 27th, 2013, 1:59 pm

I think I prefer Arganaut’s suggestion. Mostly because of this factor: How are we going to get a monopoly board on this place?
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby serbii » March 27th, 2013, 10:20 pm

Can you give us some idea of how you'd like to phrase things/Iris to act?
serbii

Unread postby SLAMU » March 28th, 2013, 1:58 pm

I think I prefer Arganaut’s suggestion. Mostly because of this factor: How are we going to get a monopoly board on this place?
They got us a chicken, didn't they? I wouldn't think that boardgames would be too much to ask for, especially if we're in (as I suspect) a gilded cage for dangerous [s]persons[/s] monsters. Besides, even if we can't get an actual board game, we can pretend to have one, which is even better because we don't have to worry about George pooping on Free Parking or Amy eating the terrier piece.
SLAMU

Unread postby Arganaut » March 29th, 2013, 3:06 pm

I'd suggest combining SLAMU's suggestion with mine, starting off with offering to tell her stuff in exchange for a few questions and then working our way down from there. We must also ask for a Monopoly board, even if it is not feasible for us to get a Monopoly board, we need to at least ask. Besides, we know George is a Monopoly genius, but people won't think so because he's a chicken. We can hustle our way to freedom with that kind of combination!

"Well, it's all kinda fuzzy. But the way I remember it these big dudes came, I think I was trying to smash them up, then they showed up! Yeah, the stupid parrot and the others, your friend was with them... or were they with the others who came later? Or were they the ones in the..." Daze off for a moment, but then snap to attention. "They tried to talk to me, but it didn't involve killing the parrot so I could read the future, entrails you see, so I got kinda upset and then they knocked me out, and when I woke up I was tied to a lamp post! I can't remember much more than that, everything was kinda hazy before I got George here." Pet George and cluck along with our chicken.

"How long will we be stuck in here? George is a free-range chicken, he can't be kept inside a cage like an animal! Also, me too!"

"Do you have Monopoly? George is a chump at Monopoly, so we could probably beat him." *Snicker*

"What's the damage done on my old place? Who was the jerk parrot... and I guess the others too?"
Arganaut

Unread postby doc.exe » April 1st, 2013, 2:01 pm

I’m operating on the assumption that these people are humorless of the “all job, no games” type. I mean, they only got us a chicken as part of their nefarious experiment/test to see how crazy we were… But ultimately, I agree with the above post.

Also, I wonder if the name of the quest should be changed to “Speedster quest”. I know it was not originally intended as such, but given that we are technically no longer a Hobo…
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby Wittgen » April 4th, 2013, 3:31 am

Start humming "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen." Badly.

Also what Arg said.
Wittgen

Unread postby serbii » April 4th, 2013, 9:56 pm

You take a deep breath and cock your head, "Well, it's all kinda fuzzy. But the way I remember it these big dudes came, I think I was trying to smash them up, then they showed up! Yeah, the stupid parrot and the others, your friend was with them... or were they with the others who came later? Or were they the ones in the..."

Your neighbors. They gave you sweets sometimes when you were little. You hope you didn’t scare them too bad... "They tried to talk to me, but it didn't involve killing the parrot so I could read the future, entrails you see, so I got kinda upset and then they knocked me out, and when I woke up I was tied to a lamp post!” The indignity of it! So rude! “I can't remember much more than that, everything was kinda hazy before I got George here.”

Amy is clearly having a bit of a hard time parsing your story, “The ‘big dude’ was the Mouros?”

You nod.

“And “They” were....how many came after?”

“Two. And a talking parrot. Who were they?”

“The teleporter would have been Maddie,” Amy explains, looking thoughtful. “The parrot would have been Flicker maybe...” You nod, remembering hearing the name and she continues, “- not that Flicker is actually a parrot. As best we can tell, his or her power lets them possess other living creatures. They use it to draw Mouros away from civilians and to alert us about their movements. He or she is technically a criminal. I’ll let Rory explain that little rule to you later.”

“Why was he/she there?”

A shrug, “There have been a few attacks recently, the people who aren’t with us tend to spread out when that happens. Either to try to keep them from forming, or because they’re looking to stop them before the FMRS gets mobilized, or to minimise the chance it’ll form near their home. It doesn’t tend to be good for them when we’re in the city in force.”

“How is my house?” you ask, a feeling a little knot in your stomach.

“There was a lot of structural damage, the house will probably have to go. You don’t have to worry about that, though. The property and possessions will be claimed by the state so you won’t have to pay for any of the debts. We will also deal with the damage you did to the neighborhood during your initial outburst. If you have anything special that holds sentimental value, we can probably recover it for you.”

You nod again, feeling a little bit numb. “And- and how much longer will we have to stay here? George is a free range chicken, after all!”

Amy shrugs. “It depends on your behavior, mostly. The less obedient you are, the shorter your leash. One more question for you; what can you tell me about the person who was with Maddie?”

------
Speedster quest (the only issue being there already is an active SQ), George Quest, Poultry Quest, Iris's Quest *attempts to think of more*
Thoughts?
serbii

Unread postby Wittgen » April 4th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Rush Quest? It is our codename, and you can lure in unexpecting Megaman fans.
Wittgen

Unread postby Arganaut » April 7th, 2013, 2:45 pm

*Snerk* True. The good old bait and switch is a great way to attract unknowing fans.

Scratch at head, try to force to remember. "I think... yeah! The other guy had a rabbit face! One of them was really strong and quick, was able to beat me up and knock me out real quick."

Frown disappointed. "So stupid parrot is actually just a stupid guy controlling a normal parrot. That sucks. There's nothing mystical or special about that parrot anymore, so no future reading entrails."

"Were your friend and the other guy criminals too? I mean, they seemed to be working with the parrot, or at least keeping me from trying to read the future using a fake-magic parrot."
Arganaut

Unread postby shadowspiri5 » April 9th, 2013, 11:41 am

Yeah lets go with rush quest.

As for what to say I'm with Arganaut.
If at first you don't succeed kill it with fire! Because why not?
shadowspiri5

Unread postby doc.exe » April 10th, 2013, 11:18 am

I would only change this part of Arganaut’s response:

"I think... yeah! The other one had a rabbit face! Used many long words that I didn’t really understand. It was boring. Something about a ghost… and curses… and false friendships… and running in the darkness… and lobotomies…” Make a smile as wide and toothy and possible at that last part, then frown. “And then there was…. Maddie? But she was called Rev or something… Anyway, she was really strong and quick, was able to beat me up and knock me out real quick."

-------------

As to other potential names for the quest: Runner Quest? Runaway Quest? Accursed Quest? Differently Powered Individual Quest (because the “Super” was already reserved)?

doc.exe

Unread postby serbii » April 11th, 2013, 11:17 pm

“The other one had this Rabbit face! And used a bunch of long words. It was boring. Something about...a curse, and a ghost. Yeah, and like, false friendships, and running in the darkness. Oh! And lobotomies!” You flash Amy a quick, toothy grin as you say the last part. “And there was Maddie, too. But I think she was called Rev or something? But she was a stupid jerk teleporter. I don’t like her..”

Amy looks slightly uncomfortable when you mention lobotomies, but looks thoughtful. “Maddie’s new codename is probably Rev...or something that starts with Rev. I guess it makes sense that she would retire her old codename.”

“The curse is probably just Araceli’s Curse. It’s another name for our...condition.”

“Story time!” You insist and she looks at you funny, you make big eyes of hope.

“You probably heard it, the first to get like this was a girl from Spain, her name was Araceli. It was big news at the time, they thought it was a miracle. But then, the Mouros just kept coming after her, so they decided it was a curse instead. She survived probably less than a year after getting her powers. It’s why the call us Toledans, too, because she was from Toledo. Running in the darkness...they were probably talking about me. I can’t think of anyone or anything else they could be talking about. I don’t know anything about ghosts, other than maybe Maddie? But I don’t think that’s right, even if they were referencing her old handle. It doesn’t really fit Flicker either, if they were there, or any of the others... As for the rest...we can discuss that later.”

Something dawns on you and you frown."So the stupid parrot is actually just a stupid guy controlling a normal parrot. That sucks. There's nothing mystical or special about that parrot anymore, so no future reading entrails."

Amy looks a bit lost for a moment, but recovers quickly, “It would seem not.”

"Were your friend and the other guy criminals too? I mean, they seemed to be working with the parrot, or at least keeping me from trying to read the future using a fake-magic parrot."

Amy sighs, you wonder if maybe you’re confusing her. She must be slow like that. “Any Toledans who aren’t members of FMRS are criminals. After we get our powers, we’re essentially drafted. It’s for two reasons- we’re so powerful we would probably make a mess of things if not highly regulated. More importantly, Acutes like yourself and I are the only ones who can actually kill a Mouros. We’re the only weapons they have, and they want to make sure we’re following their orders in order to save as many people as possible.” She shifts uncomfortably, “When the other one was talking about lobotomies, they were talking about one of us. There’s a Toledan that goes by Oathmaker, who can bind people to rules, kind of like a contract. Most of the time, it’s like you just have built in rules that you have to follow, and everything else is normal. Sometimes...well, sometimes people’s minds and the orders Oathmaker gives them are too opposed, so they...break. Lose their personalities. Sometimes their powers go away and they’re just empty shells, or they’re really obedient but weak. And sometimes...sometimes really bad things happen.”

Like they might lose their chicken or something. You nod, nod, nod. Hmm, anything else to ask?
serbii

Unread postby doc.exe » April 12th, 2013, 1:18 am

“Do you know the Rabbit-faced one? Who is she? Now that I remember, she said something about talking with the ghost with help from the fake-magic parrot? How can you do that without reading its entrails? Doesn’t make sense.”

doc.exe

Unread postby Arganaut » April 12th, 2013, 4:10 am

"Man. The first one did have to be from Toledo didn't she. If only she lived a little further south, we all could've been living the dream of calling ourselves 'Don 'instert name here' de La Mancha!" Do a little dance, but then be said.

"When she came into here powers, did the Mouros appear or were they always around?"
Arganaut

Unread postby Ristridin » April 12th, 2013, 11:27 am

Wait, didn't Rabbit tell us the FMRS is worse than the Mouros?
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby serbii » April 19th, 2013, 8:30 pm

“The first one did have to be from Toledo didn't she. If only she lived a little further south, we all could've been living the dream of calling ourselves 'Don 'insert name here' de La Mancha!" You do a little awkward hospital bed dance to demonstrate how awesome that would have been, but then you look down. Sad that it isn’t true.

Amy really does roll her eyes this time. “Do you have anything intelligent to say? Because if you don’t, I’m going.”

You take offence to her tone, and you’re always intelligent! But there really are some things you want to ask.

“Do you know the Rabbit-faced one? Who is she? Now that I remember, she said something about talking with the ghost with help from the fake-magic parrot? How can you do that without reading its entrails? Doesn’t make sense.”

“No, I don’t know the Rabbit-faced one or who she is. If I did, I wouldn’t have bothered asking you about her. I have no idea how they would plan to contact a ghost,” Amy says with a sort of exasperated monotone that makes you think that even if she did know, she wouldn’t tell you.

“When the first came into her powers, did the Mouros appear or were they always around?"

She picks up your chart. Hey! That’s not an answer. You hear her mutter something about ‘concussion or brain damage’. “The first Mouros appeared a couple of weeks before Araceli got her powers, this was about 10 years ago. Toledo was one of the places that got attacked, and after her family was killed she got her powers. The same way you, and I, and anyone who is Acute gets them. The only thing special about her was that she was the first. More Mouros started appearing afterwards, and the numbers continue to climb.”

“Plagueeeee.”

“Not really, the numbers are growing. But they’re not evenly spread. We’re not looking at mankind being over run, at least with the current amount, but they can do a lot of damage as they don’t die by conventional means.”

“Why?”

“We don’t know.”

“Why can we kill them?”

“We don’t know. It obviously has to do with our powers, but it’s only Acutes who can do it.”

“What were the others? Chronics? Why can’t they hurt them?”

“Their powers are generally non-combatant.”

“Like?”

“Anything you would remotely call ‘psychic’”

“I wanna be psychic.”

“Well you can’t.”

Meanie. You suddenly remember Rabbit Face saying unnice things about these people and wonder if you should be slightly concerned.

Anything else to ask/discuss?
Wait until someone comes to do something with you?
Attempt to explore?
Escape attempt?
Teach George to dance?
Other?
serbii

Re: Rush Quest (You are no longer a hobo)

Unread postby Darkandus » April 19th, 2013, 8:38 pm

"How much do we get paid anyway, and don't tell me we have to fight horrible killy monsters just for room and board, because I won't believe it."
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby Arganaut » April 20th, 2013, 8:59 am

"Hey, reeeeeal quick favor. Mind showing me and George around? I'd explore, but I think without someone to guide us we'd get lost. George has a terrible sense of direction."

If she won't, we must teach George to dance the chicken dance. It is a requirement for chickens to learn the chicken dance before they can be real chickens, after all.
Arganaut

Unread postby doc.exe » April 20th, 2013, 12:04 pm

“How many Acutes are on this place? Just to be sure we are not fighting a hopeless war for the wrong team. Can I meet them later?” Puppy eyes.

doc.exe

Unread postby shadowspiri5 » April 24th, 2013, 12:43 pm

I agree with the above.
If at first you don't succeed kill it with fire! Because why not?
shadowspiri5

Unread postby serbii » May 5th, 2013, 9:19 pm

"How much do we get paid anyway, and don't tell me we have to fight horrible killy monsters just for room and board, because I won't believe it." You cross your arms across your chest to make your point.

“It’s by the hour, adds up to about $18-20k a year unless something happens and we end up with more incidents. Bulk of it goes into savings, can’t access it until you turn 18 unless you feel like jumping through hoops.”

“Balls.”

She nods.

You return her nodding. Many times. Firmly. Then promptly stop caring about the problems of bureaucracy and child labor. “Hey, how many Acutes are on this place? Just to be sure we are not fighting a hopeless war for the wrong team.”

“Generally there’s a couple of dozen of permanents here at most, less at the moment. Though being closest to the city we get a lot of people coming here for a little while before being placed somewhere else.”

“Will I be moved?”

“Possibly, though I think they want the numbers here for now.”

“Can I meet them later?” You do your bestest puppy dog eyes.

“It seems likely.”

You beam at her. "Hey, reeeeeal quick favor. Mind showing me and George around? I'd explore, but I think without someone to guide us we'd get lost. George has a terrible sense of direction."

She doesn’t want to. You can tell. Really, who WOULDN’T enjoy your company?

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...pretty please?”

“...fine, just around this floor though.”

Super! She opens the door and you follow her out, shooing George in front of you. She starts sauntering down the corridor. The place has hospital vibes, which makes sense you suppose. Pale walls, disinfectant smell.

“This is the medical building,” Amy explains, “Hospital, psychiatry, research and so on.”

You follow her down the corridor, catching sight of something that looks like a nurses’ station. There’s a boy of about 18 there, leaning against the desk and watching George with mild amusement, and a bony girl in an oversized beanie talking to the nurse (Doctor? Receptionist?) at the desk.

A creature is snuffling around George like a dog, a creature all made of twisted metal and broken bricks. Holy crap it’s one of them! A Mouros writ tiny! They killed your family and now they want your chicken!

>KILL!
>Killing is bad. You can’t blame it for liking George.
>Specify a third option
serbii

Unread postby Arganaut » May 6th, 2013, 9:38 am

We can't be sure that, in our quick spurt of awesome super-speed, that we wouldn't end up accidentally killing George ourselves D:

"Hey, hey, what's that doing here?!" Point to the family destroyer!
Arganaut

Unread postby doc.exe » May 6th, 2013, 11:29 am

Or we could tackle it to put some distance between it and George, then punt it like a football, all while yelling “Some sort of battle cry that I have not though about yet!”

Of course, if there is no guarantee that we might not hurt George by accident, then screaming while pointing at the murderous monster might be the best option. Preferably emphasizing the murderous part.

doc.exe

Return to “%s” Quests