Harry Potter Quest

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Harry Potter Quest

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » May 4th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Harry Potter and the Childhood Adventure(s)
Chapter One

Harry Potter had been five years old for a week, and so far it had been a good week. The summer was nearly over, and Harry would be going back to school soon, which meant less time in the house with his aunt and uncle. Dudley didn’t bother Harry much at school, preferring to spend time with his best friends Piers and Malcolm.

Harry had a friend too, a girl called Anna. She could be a bit silly sometimes, because she was a girl, and she didn’t spend all her time with Harry, but she was still nice. Harry was looking forward to seeing her again. Plus, they would be getting a new teacher! Mrs Philips was friends with Aunt Tunia and didn’t like Harry much. He hoped their next teacher would be nicer.

He was having quite a nice time, daydreaming about how much better being five would be than being four, even if being five meant he had more chores with the Dursleys.

Maybe if he had been doing a little less daydreaming and thinking a little bit more about helping Aunt Tunia with the washing up, he wouldn’t have dropped the plate.

Harry was scared as soon as it slipped out of his fingers. It was the nice dishes, Aunt Tunia had lectured him for ages about how expensive it was, how much trouble he would be in if he broke it, he would be in his cupboard for weeks and weeks!

He was so scared of the punishment that awaited him, in fact, that it was several seconds before Harry noticed that the plate was hovering in midair by his knee.

Harry stared at it with wide eyes and, very slowly, bent to pick it up. It didn’t feel any different than before, except maybe a little lighter. Aunt Tunia hadn’t even noticed.

“Hurry up, boy! I can’t stand here all day waiting for you to finish drying that plate.”

“Yes, Aunt Tunia,” Harry said automatically. He quickly dried the plate and put it carefully back in the cupboard.

When he turned around again, Dudley was watching him with a very confused look on his face. He even seemed to have forgotten about the plate of biscuits in front of him.

Dudley staring at Harry was rarely very good. Harry went back to drying plates and tried to ignore him.

The next day, Dudley cornered Harry in the hallway just after dinner.

“You made the plate float!” he hissed. “It should have hit the floor and broke, but it didn’t! You did something to it!”

Harry couldn’t really think of anything to say to this, because he hadn’t really meant to do anything to the plate but he didn’t know who else could have made it float.

Dudley scowled at him. “Show me how! Or I’ll tell Mum.”

It doesn’t look like Dudley will take no for an answer. What should Harry do?
Spoiler: show
So this is the HP Quest. Let’s see how this one goes...

The first section of this Quest will be Harry’s pre-Hogwarts years, centring around pivotal events in his childhood (all of which are of my own invention and, thus, probably will contradict canon in a few minor ways. Hopefully this won’t be a big problem for all of you). During this period you’ll have the opportunity to change the way characters perceive you and influence Harry’s personality – there may even be major divergences from the canon timeline depending on your choices.

Also, depending on how you respond to these events, you may unlock “sub-plots” a la gman’s Naruto Quest. These won’t be available for a few in-story years, but will (hopefully) be worth the wait.

If you’re not enjoying the way the Quest is being run, please feel free to take it up with me. The point of this is for you guys to enjoy it, and I’ve never run one of these before so...
A QUICK WORD ON THE SORTING.
The House Harry is Sorted into at the beginning of his first year will be affected by the decisions he makes now. Whenever you make a choice, ‘points’ will be awarded to whichever House’s qualities it embodies. Please note that both actions AND motivations count. If you execute a particularly cunning plot, that will definitely earn you Slytherin points, but if you do it out of loyalty to another character, that would earn you Hufflepuff points as well.
The more ‘points’ a House gains, the more likely Harry is to be Sorted into that House.

If you have any questions, please ask.
QuoteMyFoot

Re: Harry Potter Quest

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » May 4th, 2013, 10:37 pm

"I don't know! It just kind of happened!"

Dudley probably will not accept that either, but it is the best answer we have. Maybe he will see that we are being honest and leave us alone. (Yeah, right.)
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby MrRigger2 » May 5th, 2013, 12:27 am

I'm with Ally. Sounds good.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Bezzerker » May 5th, 2013, 12:30 am

"I just didn't want to break Aunt Tunia's plate."

Maybe by explaining the motive behind the occurrence will help satisfy Dudley.
Unleash the Elements of Order and Chaos!

A Heart Born Of Darkness,
Bound Within A Body Of Light,
Ignited By A Twilight Forged Soul

What's the Canadian policy on heretics?
Gman391: Turn them into Pop sensations, and then inflict them on the American's for their sins.
Bezzerker

Unread postby gman391 » May 5th, 2013, 2:03 am

With Ally
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby serbii » May 5th, 2013, 3:21 am

Hold plate between knees. That was totally it. Yes.
serbii

Unread postby Magnificate » May 5th, 2013, 5:49 am

serbii's idea and actually believe in that explanation yourself
Magnificate

Unread postby Ristridin » May 5th, 2013, 6:21 am

Combine Ally and Bezzerker. Dudley was looking at the plate, so lying probably won't help us here.

Edit: On second thought, let's add this: "Want to try to find out how to do it? We can try dropping other things than plates; I don't want to break anything."
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby gamebrain89 » May 5th, 2013, 2:59 pm

I'm with Aldraia.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Return to “%s” Quests