Quick question

Quick question

Unread postby SirKaid » June 15th, 2009, 2:28 am

I was rereading NoFP a few nights back when I found myself pondering. Why didn't Harry give Riddle's diary to Sirius for safekeeping? He already knew that someone had tried to access the luggage on the train and he's certainly paranoid enough to assume that the only reason someone would have done so would be to get at his trunk. So since he was fairly sure someone was trying to steal the Horcrux, why would he keep it on him?
SirKaid

Re: Quick question

Unread postby serbii » June 15th, 2009, 5:36 am

Dogs don't have pockets O_o
There's more chance of it getting lost if it's moved around. He probably figured it was safer to hold on to it than have it traverse around the country with Sirius.
serbii

Unread postby jgkitarel » June 16th, 2009, 5:47 pm

That and this Harry is somewhat OCD about trying to maintain control of things, despite the relative impossibility of it.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Farmer_10 » June 16th, 2009, 10:25 pm

Narrative Casuality?
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby viridian » June 17th, 2009, 4:39 am

Not to mention the chance of Sirius being recaptured. Losing track of a single horcrux would be disastrous.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby SirKaid » June 17th, 2009, 9:58 am

That makes me wonder why Voldie didn't bury one of them in the middle of a mountain or something. Was it simply monumental, colossal arrogance? I mean, it was already fairly arrogant of him to only use historically significant artifacts, but there's a difference between being impressive and just being stupid. Is there, perhaps, some unbelievably important ritual that requires a Horcrux to perform? Do they need to be recharged every century or something?

If there isn't a pressing reason why anyone needs to be able to ever access them, then the question changes to how could someone so monumentally stupid become so deadly? I mean, if I was in Tom's shoes I would have hidden at least one of them at a random spot on the globe, maybe Tibet or Chile, in a hole a kilometer or so deep, which I would then cover with dirt. If I still felt the need to grandstand with the rest of my irreplaceable fragments of soul then, and only then, would I put them in locatable areas. Then again, I'm neither a raging megalomaniac nor insane from making Horcruxes, so perhaps it wouldn't occur to him to be careful.

:rant:
SirKaid

Unread postby WarriorDrgnMage » June 17th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Perhaps it is the pressure of having so many Horcruxes but I don't think so. In addition to being arrogent to the -enth degree, Voldemort is also a massive egotist and he thinks he's, well not not God's gift, but someone's (read Satan's) Gift to magic, to wit he doesn't think anyone else could possibly know as much about Magic as he does. Which I think is why he never went head to head with Dumbledore; the semi-consus thought of being humbled or even beaten magically by his old teacher kept him from a confrontation at Hogwarts in the first war.

All those things combine to make Tom Riddle/Lord Voldemort completely certain that no one can figure out that he has even one Horcrux let alone more than one. Even more so because of the precise wording of Regulus's not in the false locket:

"I know I will be dead long before you read this, but I wanted you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hopes that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more. R.A.B."
WarriorDrgnMage

AOL: WarriorDrgnMage

Unread postby Comosicus » June 17th, 2009, 2:57 pm

I've seen this idea in several fanfictions: that a horcrux is needed in order to perform the resurrection ritual - therefore they would have been required to be accessible at any time. Even as far as canon is concerned, the argument was that Voldie needed Nagini to gain the homunculus body before he was able to participate into the graveyard resurrection ritual.

Of course, the most plausible "in-universe" answer is arrogance and vanity - "definitely my favorite sin" :devil
Comosicus

Unread postby rbear1231 » November 30th, 2014, 11:27 pm

another aspect is the more of those things you make the more damage you do to your soul and mind.

arrogance is a factor, but also insanity. he makes himself ore insane and out of control, which adds to his arrogance cause the more objects he puts his soul into the less control he has over his self.

you know typin this i desided to settle a few problems i have with dumbles. if AH ever reads it.
rbear1231

Return to “%s” Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past