Crowning Moments of Awesome in Nightmares of Futures Past

Crowning Moments of Awesome in Nightmares of Futures Past

Unread postby bibliophile20 » August 25th, 2008, 9:48 am

Alright then, this is slightly overdue, so, let's get right to it, people: Crowning Moments of Awesome in Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past. Call them as you see them (literally, given how subjective this is).

*stands back to watch the fun* :lurk:
bibliophile20

Re: Crowning Moments of Awesome in Nightmares of Futures Past

Unread postby Zerrat » August 25th, 2008, 9:55 am

Crowning moment of awesome: when Harry pulled the Dementors though the wards.
Zerrat

Unread postby MrRigger2 » August 25th, 2008, 11:24 am

Where Harry wakes up from a month long coma, then says "Let's go fight a basilisk."

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Joe » August 25th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Harry showing the boggart in Lupin's office precisely why it's a bad idea to freak him out. :D
Joe

Unread postby viridian » August 25th, 2008, 8:49 pm

I don't know if I should make a rule not to post links to TVTropes... I just lost several hours again. :roll:

But I do like the concept of a CMOA - in fact, I think Joe can confirm that I tend (consciously or not) wrap my stories around them. (Even in the stuff only he has seen so far...)
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Shadow Knight » August 26th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Harry showing the boggart in Lupin's office precisely why it's a bad idea to freak him out. :D
This one is my personal favorite, but I'll toss out there when Harry sends the stinging hex to wake Fluffy up and thereby take out Quirelmort. Priceless.
Shadow Knight

Unread postby bibliophile20 » September 5th, 2008, 8:53 pm

I don't know if I should make a rule not to post links to TVTropes... I just lost several hours again. :roll:
*Ahem* Apologies, but NoFP is recc'ed over on TV Tropes, on their Fan Fic Recommendations page (about a third of a way from the top; Team 8 is further down). The comment down by the T8 rec that "Seriously, the guy only turns out winners" makes me smile. :)
But I do like the concept of a CMOA - in fact, I think Joe can confirm that I tend (consciously or not) wrap my stories around them. (Even in the stuff only he has seen so far...)
Amen on that. Hell, finding out what effectively is the theme music for the final battle between Harry and Voldemort was awesome enough...
bibliophile20

Unread postby viridian » September 6th, 2008, 4:06 am

*ego swelling out of control....* :dance
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby unknown240 » September 6th, 2008, 2:15 pm

Actually it's my favorite line:

"I plan to cheat like Draco Malfoy on a potions exam"
unknown240

Unread postby SLAMU » September 7th, 2008, 8:39 pm

I'm gonna go with the past-Basilisk ass kicking in Dumbledore's office. Winning the fight is important, but still only the beginning.
SLAMU

Unread postby SilentWasteland » September 7th, 2008, 9:22 pm

I'm going to have to agree with everything said so far.

And bibliophile20, thank you! That song is awesome. Now to find where I can get a (legal) copy... and more of their stuff.
SilentWasteland

Unread postby bibliophile20 » September 7th, 2008, 9:32 pm

And bibliophile20, thank you! That song is awesome. Now to find where I can get a (legal) copy... and more of their stuff.
Here you go.

(And as for more of their stuff, my personal favorite piece of theirs is Song For Ancestors.)
bibliophile20

Unread postby viridian » September 8th, 2008, 3:12 am

Here you go.

(And as for more of their stuff, my personal favorite piece of theirs is Song For Ancestors.)
Trying to see if I'd heard that particular song on a Matrix soundtrack, I looked on Youtube. This was the first entry by Audio-Visual Foundry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HB2miRgPpY

A chilling video to go with a spooky song...
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby kaedesilver » September 28th, 2008, 8:39 pm

I personally liked the Slytherin confrontation. Can't remember whether the concussion spell was invisible or not, but the mental imagery it provoked in my warped mind was rather awesome.

I'm looking forward to the tournament to see what CMOA our evil Authorlord concocts. I kind of like the idea of Harry kicking Death Nibbler arse in the graveyard, perhaps in similar style to his running battle at ruined Hogwarts (which could possibly trigger a fresh surge of emotions from brief flashbacks, fuelling him even more).

Just a thought lol.
kaedesilver

Unread postby Kodra » October 10th, 2008, 4:14 pm

A CMOA to me was 12 Year Old Harry's oratory skills with with Triumvarate for his custody. He wormed his way through loophole and then used his much more mature vocabulary to successfully convince members of the wizengamot that he should be placed with the Weasleys.

Another one was him mentally pimp slapping Severus after he called Hermione an "uppity Mudblood".

Really, most of the fights in NoFP haven't really been the "Oh awesome!" moments for me (though the basilisk was up there), it's more the way he's manipulated the adults around him, or how he's stood up for his friends.

Though Neville gets a CMOA for pummeling the hell out of Draco.
Kodra

Unread postby Jamey » October 11th, 2008, 11:20 am

I just got finished re-reading the whole story, and the CMOA I found most powerful was Harry's nasty comment to Dumbledore about his parents sending him to live with the Dursleys. That was one *VERY* solid bitch-slap to Dumbledore, as they both know that his parents didn't in fact do so - but Dumbledore doesn't know Harry knows.

Next best was Harry telling Dumbledore that it was Melissa Bulstrode that was his slytherin source - one more attempt to awaken Dumbledore to the price of his policies.
Jamey

Unread postby Mantis » April 7th, 2009, 11:52 pm

Gotta agree with the first respondent: "Accio dementors!" Quite possibly the first time in the history of the Potterverse someone's ever cast a summoning charm on a dementor.

It's a quieter kind of awesome, but I really liked Harry plotting the socioeconomic destruction of the Dursleys with Goldfarb, and the goblin's aesthetic appreciation of such an elegant example of the art of revenge. I have a feeling Harry's cultivation of the goblins is going to pay dividends down the road.
Mantis

Unread postby Lightwhispers » April 8th, 2009, 9:31 am

Gotta agree with the first respondent: "Accio dementors!" Quite possibly the first time in the history of the Potterverse someone's ever cast a summoning charm on a dementor.
I agree. That scene had an amazing amount of win in it.
It's a quieter kind of awesome, but I really liked Harry plotting the socioeconomic destruction of the Dursleys with Goldfarb, and the goblin's aesthetic appreciation of such an elegant example of the art of revenge. I have a feeling Harry's cultivation of the goblins is going to pay dividends down the road.
It already has, in terms of their offer to give the anti-dementor ward to Hogwarts. Which is also made of win.
Warning: the above may contain strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and logic (which may be unsuitable for stupid people).
-adapted from xkcd

I'm a solipsistic conspiracy theorist. I'm sure I must be up to something, and I will not stop until I find out what.
-xkcd
Lightwhispers

Unread postby Farmer_10 » April 9th, 2009, 9:12 pm

"Mr. Potter, is there anything else Gringotts can do for you in pursuit of your most excellent vengeance?"

I just love this line.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby Darkandus » April 9th, 2009, 10:51 pm

Agreed. Every time I read it it brings a vicious little smile to my lips.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby SLAMU » April 11th, 2009, 5:21 pm

"...a dish best served cold." Is that a Goblin phrase?
SLAMU

Unread postby MorphCross » April 11th, 2009, 5:31 pm

Nooo, "Revenge is a dish best served cold" comes from Pashtuns and was brought out to the world by the British.

It was popularized by The Godfather (the book).
MorphCross

Unread postby Mantis » April 11th, 2009, 8:04 pm

Nooo, "Revenge is a dish best served cold" comes from Pashtuns and was brought out to the world by the British.

It was popularized by The Godfather (the book).
Khan Singh attributed it to the Klingons -- which made very little sense, as given his history as established in "The Space Seed," it doesn't seem possible he'd ever met a Klingon.
Mantis

Unread postby Chuckg » April 11th, 2009, 8:05 pm

He did memorize large chunks of the Enterprise's library database during 'Space Seed', and had a lot of offstage time in 'Wrath of Khan' to do the same with the captured Reliant.
Chuckg

Unread postby Mantis » April 12th, 2009, 4:42 pm

He did memorize large chunks of the Enterprise's library database during 'Space Seed', and had a lot of offstage time in 'Wrath of Khan' to do the same with the captured Reliant.
I guess that could explain it. Anyway, Klingons are sort of based on Pashtuns, or at least on the kind of violent, clannish, honor-obsessed, misogynistic culture of which the Pashtuns are one of the best examples. Such cultures are usually defined by dependence on domesticated herd animals as a primary resource, which leads to a nomadic lifestyle (the herds have to move seasonally to find good pasturage). It's speculated that their tendency to violence is a reaction to the portability of their primary form of wealth -- cattle or sheep are a lot easier to steal than arable land, and a reputation for brutally avenging even the slightest insult may help protect a man from potential thieves.
Mantis

Return to “%s” Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past